Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,782 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

I'm Trying To Make It In The Fashion World Via Make-up.any Suggestions? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / I'm Trying To Make It In The Fashion World Via Make-up.any Suggestions? (750 Views)

Meet The Nigerian Woman Who Is Building The "Fashion Amazon" Of Africa / How To Increase Your Backside And Make It Firm Naturally / ~The Fashion Section Rules ~Guidelines & Queries ~ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I'm Trying To Make It In The Fashion World Via Make-up.any Suggestions? by feelmii42(f): 4:49pm On Mar 02, 2010
I'm a young Nigerian girl that has been practicing makeup for years tho not proffessionally.Now i intend making it a profession.I av done sum jobs which turned out well.i need tips from good people of this site to help me.thanks
Re: I'm Trying To Make It In The Fashion World Via Make-up.any Suggestions? by Tatase(f): 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2010
1.) Do you have a book? I mean like a catalogue/album of some of your work? If you don't, you should start one. It would be really beneficial to you if people can see several samples/ a range of your work (from conventional make up like weddings and parties, to more editorial artistic type things).

2.) Once you have a few pictures, select 2-3 of your best, and make fliers and handouts which you can take to bridal shops, clothes shops, photographers studios, recording studios, modelling agencies, wedding/events planners, church, wherever, and have them put them at their front desk, so that people can pick them up and see what you do. When you're going to drop off your fliers always take your book with you just in case, so that the shop owners know you're serious.

3.) Once your book has developped a little, try to get an appointment to see the style editor at a magazine or newspaper via e-mail or phone (or if you're really bold and brazen, you can just show up- an acquaintance of mine did this and got freelance work styling for both ThisDay's Style and Next's Elan). Make sure you state you are a make up artist and that you have a catalogue of the work you do and were wondering if they would want to take a look at it. People who have catalogued work tend to get taken more seriously that people who just talk big talk and show one or two bad photographs where you can barely see the make up.

4.) From what I've heard, word of mouth is your biggest outlet. So treat whatever clients you do have already well. Encourage them to spread the word. Depending on the size of your church, you may be able to get into the announcements or on the bulleting. Start a facebook page for your work. Put up pictures of the work you do, and invite all your friends to join, this will let your friends near and far see how good you are and refer you to people. My friend is a part-time make up artist now (a full-time banker) all from posting an album of the make up she did on friends and family on her facebook page.
Re: I'm Trying To Make It In The Fashion World Via Make-up.any Suggestions? by OmoFyne: 2:59am On Mar 03, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Beading Fellas Here Is Something For You / Magazine Cover:::: Lana Del Rey For Glamour France / Partnership For Boutique Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.