Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,146 members, 7,815,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Stress: Causes And How We Can Manage It - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Stress: Causes And How We Can Manage It (778 Views)

Causes Of After Shower Itch And How To Manage It / "I Am Having Stomach Ulcer, How Can I Manage It?" / Signs Of Depression And How To Manage It. Lets Discuss! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Stress: Causes And How We Can Manage It by totalhealth: 11:15pm On Sep 20, 2017
“I work night shifts and usually get about 4 to 5 hours sleep per day since I juggle work and taking care of the kids, by myself. I mostly get irritated and no control of my anger. I also experience headaches often like sometimes 3 times a week. I had 2 episodes of lack of oxygen while working”.

“My symptoms of stress were work related. I'm a veterinarian in a busy, high-demand practice. The signs were classic fight or flight. I had the feeling of an adrenaline rush: tingly extremities, restlessness, fast breathing, and the ability to go a day without any food. I had no time and no appetite. At nights, coming down, I would have trouble sleeping, irritability, restlessness and I would feel very low in general. When anticipating a big day, I would be dry-retching in the mornings and the nausea would be so bad I wouldn't be able to hold down liquids”.

Everyone feels stressed from time to time. But what is stress? How does it affect your health? And what can you do about it?
Stress is how the brain and body respond to any demand. Every type of demand or stressor—such as exercise, work, school, major life changes, or traumatic events—can be stressful.Stress can affect your health. It is important to pay attention to how you deal with minor and major stress events so that you know when to seek help.

What is stress?
Stress is the body's natural defense against predators and danger. It flushes the body with hormones to prepare systems to evade or confront danger. This is known as the "fight-or-flight" mechanism. When we are faced with a challenge, part of our response is physical. The body activates resources to protect us by preparing us either to stay and fight or to get away as fast as possible.
The body produces larger quantities of the chemicals cortisol, adrenaline, and noradrenaline. These trigger an increased heart rate, heightened muscle preparedness, sweating, and alertness. All these factors improve the ability to respond to a hazardous or challenging situation.

Changes to the body
Stress slows normal bodily functions, such as the digestive and immune systems. All resources can then be concentrated on rapid breathing, blood flow, alertness, and muscle use.

The body changes in the following ways during stress:
• blood pressure and pulse rate rise
• breathing is faster
• the digestive system slows down
• immune activity decreases
• the muscles become tense
• a heightened state of alertness prevents sleep

How we react to a difficult situation will affect how stress affects us and our health. A person who feels they do not have enough resources to cope will be more likely to have a stronger reaction, and one that can trigger health problems. Stressors affect individuals in different ways.
Some experiences that are generally considered positive can lead to stress, such as having a baby, going on a trip, moving to a nicer house, and being promoted.

This is because they often involve a major change, extra effort, new responsibilities, and a need for adaptation. They are also steps into the unknown. The person wonders if they will cope.
A persistently negative response to challenges can have a detrimental effect on health and happiness. However, being aware of how you react to stressors can help reduce the negative feelings and effects of stress, and to manage it more effectively.

Symptoms
Physical effects of stress on the body can include:
• sweating
• pain in the back or chest
• cramps or muscle spasms
• erectile dysfunction and loss of libido
• fainting
• headache
• heart disease
• high blood pressure
• lower immunity against diseases
• muscular aches
• nervous twitches
• pins and needles
• sleeping difficulties
• stomach upset

Emotional reactions can include:
• anger
• anxiety
• burnout
• concentration issues
• depression
• fatigue
• a feeling of insecurity
• forgetfulness
• irritability
• nail biting
• restlessness
• sadness

Behaviors linked to stress include:
• food cravings and eating too much or too little
• sudden angry outbursts
• drug and alcohol abuse
• higher tobacco consumption
• social withdrawal
• frequent crying
• relationship problems

Common causes
We all react differently to stressful situations. What is stressful to one person may not be stressful to another. Almost anything can cause stress. For some people, just thinking about something, or several small things, can cause stress.

Common major life events that can trigger stress include:
• job issues or retirement
• lack of time or money
• bereavement
• family problems
• illness
• moving home
• relationships, marriage, and divorce

Nine self-help tips
Here are a few steps you can take to manage or prevent the feeling of being overwhelmed.
1. Exercise: Studies have shown that exercise can benefit a person's mental and physical state.
2. Reducing intake of alcohol, drugs, and caffeine: These substances will not help prevent stress, and they can make it worse. They should be cut out or reduced.
3. Nutrition: A healthy, balanced diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables helps maintain the immune system at times of stress. A poor diet will lead to ill health and additional stress.
3. Prioritizing: Spend a little time organizing your to-do list to see what is most important. Then focus of what you have completed or accomplished for the day, rather than what you are yet to finish.
4. Time: Set aside some time each day just for yourself. Use it to organize your life, relax, and pursue your own interests.
5. Breathing and relaxation: Meditation, massage, and yoga can help. Breathing and relaxation techniques can slow down the system and help you relax. Breathing is also a central part of mindfulness meditation.
6. Talking: Talking to family, friends, work colleagues, and your boss about your thoughts and worries will help you "let off steam." You may be comforted to find that you are "not the only one." You may even find there is an easy solution that you had not thought of.
7. Acknowledging the signs: A person can be so anxious about the problem that is causing the stress that they do not notice the effects on their body.
Noticing symptoms is the first step to taking action. People who experience work stress due to long hours may need to "take a step back." It may be time to review their own working practice or to talk to a supervisor about reducing the load.
8. Find your own destressor: Most people have something that helps them relax, such as reading a book, going for a walk, listening to music, or spending time with a friend or a pet. Joining a choir or a gym helps some people.
9. Establishing support networks: Develop networks of social support, for example, by talking to neighbors and others in the local community, or joining a club, charity, or religious organization.
Even if you are not feeling stressed now, being part of a group can prevent stress from developing and provide support and practical help when hard times come.

Online social networking can help, as long as it does not replace face-to-face contact. It can allow you to stay in touch with friends and family who are far away, and this can reduce anxiety.

Treatment

TREATMENT
If the stress is affecting your daily life, if you are already experiencing overwhelming stress, you should use STRESS ACTIVE (N7500). This can help you manage new situations and maintain your physical and mental health.

Have you tried all sorts of chemical drugs without result? One natural supplement combination that has helped in dealing with Stress is STRESS ACTIVE which gradually reduce stress to the normal level without any side effect.

Are they NAFDAC approved?
Approved by NAFDAC and other international bodies. We are sure your problem will be solved. Guaranteed!!!

Are There Side Effects?
There are no side effects when you use this pack. They are non-hormonal and non-habit forming and can be used as often as you’d like.

Ordering Step
Ask for the current PRICE before you ORDER for your pack today with the details below:

1. Your Full Name
2. Your Full Address
3. Phone Number
Via SMS To 08020671080

You will only pay when this product has been physically brought down to you face-to-face by our courier company. Take advantage of this special offer through our Pay on Delivery Service or better still, a discount when you pay directly into our corporate business account. Once you send in the details you have signified that you want the package to be delivered to you. You will be called for further instructions and also receive an SMS to confirm your order.

For enquiries, Call or Text 08020671080. Nationwide delivery is available!
Live healthy, enjoy life!

Re: Stress: Causes And How We Can Manage It by kalufelix(m): 11:35pm On Sep 20, 2017
0.1 gram Of Weed Does The Trick...

(1) (Reply)

Libido Booster / What Killed This Man, Many Of Us Drink Every Day / Sad State Of General Hospital Lagos Island And Bill Gates Criticism (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.