Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,454 members, 7,830,253 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:42 PM

Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman (27369 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Boyooosa(m): 9:16pm On Sep 22, 2017
kimbraa:
[s]Which of the schools did you attend?. You're a disgrace to your alumni.

Simple written English, you failed to comprehend[/s].
Go through the piece of that young lady again, this time around, slowly and no sentiment. Point out the need for such assertion and i will be pleased to enlighten you but if you insult me this time around, i will regard you as one of the shallow-thinking unteachable youngsters on NL. YOUR TIME STARTS....
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 22, 2017
Na wa o.

See Adichie talking out of her āss, all in service of feminism.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Noblesoul123: 9:29pm On Sep 22, 2017
Timbuktuo:

You're right. The government needs to let her he with her loot after all she is not the only one.

Wicked Sarcasm
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by lexy2014: 9:46pm On Sep 22, 2017
Sterope:
That was the answer to your question.

If you have read the article and you saw my comment, you wouldn't have asked that question to begin with. Next time, please take your time and read.

No one is criticising the treatment that is being meted to Diezani however you don't suppose we stand by and watch fo.ols question women and their ability to lead because of Diezani.

my question (just a sentence)was far shorter than d article but honestly, u still didnt answer it. u bringing a foreign issue into this discussion which has nothing 2do with d discussion at all. d issue chimamanda raised is that diezanis travails are a result of her gender which is y I asked u whether dasuki who has been prison since d beginning of this administration is a man or a woman. d discussion is about gender&corruption and u are talking about gender&leadership.so u way off course. To help u out here is a reminder of d topic:

Chimamanda Adichie: A female politician was judged harshly for stealing as a woman
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Nobody: 10:04pm On Sep 22, 2017
Boyooosa:

Go through the piece of that young lady again, this time around, slowly and no sentiment. Point out the need for such assertion and i will be pleased to enlighten you but if you insult me this time around, i will regard you as one of the shallow-thinking unteachable youngsters on NL. YOUR TIME STARTS....
Go and educate yourself first. I don't have time to exchange words with insecure boys or better still, watch the video on Youtube. It'll help your parochial reasoning.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Talkwell: 10:15pm On Sep 22, 2017
raumdeuter:
Let a man and a woman steal in the market place

Max the woman would be stripped naked, The man will be lucky to be stripped naked on another day, he might be barbecued

Best comment !!!
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Simon21(m): 11:27pm On Sep 22, 2017
Thankfully your opinion don't matter in nigeria, take your bias and feminist ideas, keep them to yourself, nigeria don't need it.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Collyno82(m): 11:56pm On Sep 22, 2017
Walelavender:

I find it difficult to fathom what you put together here.However,I'm an 'Apostle' of values. I don't take it lightly when analysing the issue of corruption,most especially when it has to do with our commonwealth. It's more than hanging a dog to give it a bad name.
Go back to the passage n try reading it over again n c if u can comprhend
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Nobody: 12:05am On Sep 23, 2017
Intrepid01:
The major reasons why I've never fancied this lady are; she's an extreme feminist, Igbo conservative despite the level of exposure and in doing that she appears unreasonable. So Ibori that wen to jail for looting na Woman abi.....wait, is she trying to defend corruption? OMG! she wont stop to annoy me
Was Ibori jailed in Nigeria?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Freeman59: 12:29am On Sep 23, 2017
Timbuktuo:
Yes, just like Sambo Dasuki and Nnamdi Kanu who are also women.

I am yet to see what this woman contributes to the public sphere asides storytelling. In terms of logic and critical thinking, she is seriously deficient.

Abeg, carry your useless identity politics stay for Yankee or Europe or wherever you choose to be. We have too many problems for you to come and start chatting trash here.
Dude you just said my mind. she's just obsessed with her feminism.

I had high respect for her but she just proved how deficient she is in reasoning anything other than fiction and stories.

Sick feminist
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Slimpotter(m): 12:33am On Sep 23, 2017
kimbraa:
You're the deficit one in logical and critical thinking.

She didn't say Diezani should've been exonerated from the theft she was alleged to have committed but the notion that because "She's a woman" then more was expected of her. A man could steal but women can't. Both should be treated equally when found guilty of any crime instead of shaming the woman because she's a woman.
As ignorant as a woman.What's wrong in his statement.
A lady who headed a ministry providing the major source of the country's income, was alleged to have been involved in corruption cases involving millions dollars and you guys take it as a female issue.
So because she's a woman we should tone down the critiscm?
Sorry you've made no sense.

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Boyooosa(m): 12:38am On Sep 23, 2017
kimbraa:
Go and educate yourself first. I don't have time to exchange words with insecure boys or better still, watch the video on Youtube. It'll help your parochial reasoning.
Yep, since you have decided to take your time to go through her empty speech passage by passage and at the same time made up your mind to learn in a hard way, i will not hesitate to pinpoint the fails and flaws in the assumed great piece of yours:

Speaking at the University of Edinburgh recently, Adichie said; (and I quote her)

“We shouldn’t assume, that because a person is born a woman, that person is somehow is just one step lower than an angel.
What is the meaning of that emboldened statement? Rest assured that, that statement is unintelligent and irrelevant.
Yes it was culled from the Holy Bible (Psalm 8:5), and if you read further, verse 6, you will find out that David was only trying to praise God for His compassion of honoring man into the glory possessed by the Angelic beings/Angels. So, if they now profile or honour a woman to that extent in our society and such woman now misbehaves, that means no one should mention of it or probably they should just let her go because she 'is a little bit lower than an angel' righ'? Who is even saying a woman can not commit crime in the first instance? She failed to sync and integrate that bible verse with her analogy there... PO!

"I find it quite dehumanizing for women because what is it means is that women cannot be judged on the same terms as men".
As how? Says who? Very very confusing and misleading statement. How can somebody sit down in his/er bedroom and utter such statement, very misguiding. Is that statement trying to protect a woman-criminal or trying to bring her out for judgement? I dont understand. It is still what Nigerians did to Alamieyeseigha, Ibori and their fresh Cohort, Dansuki, is still the same thing they are doing to Diezani or any woman you might think of. So whats so special about Diezani that will make Nigerians to keep quiet because she is a woman. Or wtf do you guys think you are? And if pple place you guys so high, in the realm of 'holier than holy', then maintain the bogus simulation nah, and if you fail to keep the record, why shoud the society tret you like one Angel Gabriela' or an Holy Mary? Hear this, the Honour that is added to your name can also attract DIS and heaven wil not fall. Meanwhile, advise her to be more comprehensible when next she is writing/speechifying.

I remember once a politician in Nigeria who was a woman had stolen money which is an exercise most Nigerian politicians are very adept at. she was pilloried, I remember a journalist saying and she’ s a woman.
Na dat journalist know wetin dey chop hin brain nah. So, because of that, they should not mention that she is a woman abi? Rather mention that she is a human being abi, or she is a criminal.... I dont get the logic.

"Somehow the assumption was it will be better if she was a man because then Nigerians would not judge her harshly since we expect men to steal."
What kind of assumption was that? What prompted that assumption? Ehn, advise her to transgender now! May be the court will now transfer her case to me because she is now a MAN. Oshisco! Go and ask from Bode George, Tafa Balogun and Dansuki how easy it is to be a Male-criminal. Your Lyrics no get rhythm @all.

"I think the idea of women being another specie of angel is bad for both women and men because it makes the standards uneven. I dream of a world in which women are seen as women where women are allowed to be many things.”
If anybody is mistaking a woman for an angel vis-a-vis criminal tendency, well that doesnt have anything to do with law. We have seen series of cases where women led an armed robbery gang, a pregnant woman leading a syndicate team, woman keeping arms for robbers, woman killing her husband, killing a rival, burning house and killing her own child(ren). Tell me what's new? In all these cases, i did not hear of any that the Judge freed because she was a woman or prosecute because she was not a man. No Gender in Justice madam.
Well, if most people see women as less-tendency for crime, its not their fault but blame record and their nature. This fact does not exonerate woman-criminals or prevent the 'justified' humiliation that might be melted on them, just like any other common criminal.

So, you, Kimbraa, dont assume that if somebody is a writer, he/she has the right to be right at all time... even his forefathers, in the realms of Wole Soyinka and Chinua Achebe are/were open for criticism much more, Over-hyped Amanda.
Its my pleasure taking you through a long session, hope you have gained from me? smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by OGHENAOGIE(m): 12:58am On Sep 23, 2017
Timbuktuo:

I am yet to see what this woman contributes to the public sphere asides storytelling. In terms of logic and critical thinking, she is seriously deficient.

Abeg, carry your useless identity politics stay for Yankee or Europe or wherever you choose to be. We have too many problems for you to come and start chatting trash here.
see u wat
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:00am On Sep 23, 2017
Timbuktuo:

u harsh oooo bt she is been blunt...remember how etteh was vilified and bankole became worse...Wat she meant is deal with pple on fair terms
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:04am On Sep 23, 2017
Intrepid01:
The major reasons why I've never fancied this lady are; she's an extreme feminist, Igbo conservative despite the level of exposure and in doing that she appears unreasonable. So Ibori that wen to jail for looting na Woman abi.....wait, is she trying to defend corruption? OMG! she wont stop to annoy me
bro u are out out of point Wat do u mean extreme feminist...go listen to her talk let's Al be feminist...am sure u one of dos female oppressors who think women shd amount to nothing in life
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by valentineuwakwe(m): 1:13am On Sep 23, 2017
madam please stop saying what you don't know with all due respect. .this is not a novel or story book. .so don't confuse the populace. .this person stole money. .I mean Nigerian money. .may she was not smart enough to cover all her details. .bet her it woman or man, she not only stole, she flex n spend money lavaishly!

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:15am On Sep 23, 2017
Collyno82:
Read with understanding not with sentiment, pls.
don't mind them
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Boyooosa(m): 1:27am On Sep 23, 2017
OGHENAOGIE:
don't mind them
https://www.nairaland.com/post/60728466
Non of you has actually impressed me with valid points, and my observation is that you are al females trying to caution posters here with sentiments but you have a great degree in that. That speech is empty sincerely....
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Intrepid01(m): 3:43am On Sep 23, 2017
OGHENAOGIE:
bro u are out out of point Wat do u mean extreme feminist...go listen to her talk let's Al be feminist...am sure u one of dos female oppressors who think women shd amount to nothing in life

Thank you for your assumption, it is still a point, atleast to you. What you and your lots (proponents of feminism) have failed to understand is that there is a world order that naturally sets things. No matter how high you cry Man and Woman will never be equal cos they were not designed to be. What I totally support and will advocate for is "Gender Equity"....Irrespective of gender, every human, yellow or white or black deserve fairness, respect and support. But your Adichie thinks playing the victim card can change the current balance of things, the truth is it won't. Unfortunately , she has degenerated to embracing impunity for the sake of feminism. A stand that would even prevent any reasonable from listening to her in the first place. My point is she does not have to be a feminist without a functioning brain. Defending a looter, Diezani all in the name of feminism is dumb and stupid.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Intrepid01(m): 3:45am On Sep 23, 2017
Walelavender:

A bitter pill seems hard to swallow-truth. I need no one to tutor me on how to answer comprehension question. Her submission is apalling. I stand by my position. You could place your lens on a different perspective.

If it is safe to assume you know the meaning of the word "appalling" that you used up there. Then I see no reason for what I see you do, cos that means we are on the same page. Except if otherwise.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Kingspin(m): 4:57am On Sep 23, 2017
Timbuktuo:

You do not possess enough braincells to I understand why I speak the way I do. Go play with your set.
All women needs to be treated equal in our society no matter what that is the moral of her stand.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Sterope(f): 7:48am On Sep 23, 2017
Like I asked earlier..Did you read the article?

I don't have strength for you this morning. undecided

lexy2014:
my question (just a sentence)was far shorter than d article but honestly, u still didnt answer it. u bringing a foreign issue into this discussion which has nothing 2do with d discussion at all. d issue chimamanda raised is that diezanis travails are a result of her gender which is y I asked u whether dasuki who has been prison since d beginning of this administration is a man or a woman. d discussion is about gender&corruption and u are talking about gender&leadership.so u way off course. To help u out here is a reminder of d topic:

Chimamanda Adichie: A female politician was judged harshly for stealing as a woman
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Timbuktuo: 8:01am On Sep 23, 2017
Kingspin:
All women needs to be treated equal in our society no matter what that is the moral of her stand.

Congrats
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Walelavender(m): 8:29am On Sep 23, 2017
Collyno82:
Go back to the passage n try reading it over again n c if u can comprhend
Well, I need to reiterate here that since we are not on the same wavelength, going to read the passage again would be like flogging a dead horse.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Walelavender(m): 8:45am On Sep 23, 2017
Intrepid01:

If it is safe to assume you know the meaning of the word "appalling" that you used up there. Then I see no reason for what I see you do, cos that means we are on the same page. Except if otherwise.
Only for the missing letter 'p' the meaning hasn't changed. Thanks for the correction. Get mad when revered people try to embellish a vice.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by lexy2014: 8:57am On Sep 23, 2017
Sterope:
Like I asked earlier..Did you read the article?

I don't have strength for you this morning. undecided

I should b d one asking u if u read d article cos obviously u didn't. cos if u did, it wouldn't b an issue of "strength" but one of understanding. its one thing 2 read something & its another thing 2 understand what u read. am surprised cos d article was straight forward enough & u haven't been able 2 show were gender&leadership was mentioned in d article. so sweetheart take ur time&do d needful
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Sterope(f): 9:23am On Sep 23, 2017
Darling, take your sweet time, read, reread and read again and again and again until you understand every word and every sentence in that article. Until you do, stop bothering me. Thanks!

lexy2014:
I should b d one asking u if u read d article cos obviously u didn't. cos if u did, it wouldn't b an issue of "strength" but one of understanding. its one thing 2 read something & its another thing 2 understand what u read. am surprised cos d article was straight forward enough & u haven't been able 2 show were gender&leadership was mentioned in d article. so sweetheart take ur time&do d needful
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by Empressabbie(f): 9:31am On Sep 23, 2017
lasimbo:
undecided please american woman read and explain to us as you got A1 in comprehension and the rest of us Nigerians cant comprehend

You are a Chimamanda fan from your statement.
I'm not her fan, I have read none of her books. As u can see I already explained, there's no need asking me to explain again if u can comprehend what I wrote
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by lexy2014: 12:35pm On Sep 23, 2017
Sterope:
Darling, take your sweet time, read, reread and read again and again and again until you understand every word and every sentence in that article. Until you do, stop bothering me. Thanks!

oh baby am not bothering u just helping u c d light. I have thrown 2 challenges 2u but u so far have been unable 2 rise above them. 1st, based on d topic i asked u, is dasuki a woman hence his travail cos of corruption? 2nd, since u are a good reader, kindly produce one sentence in d article that supports ur claim that d article is about gender&leadership and not gender&corruption then we good. I had given u a headstart previously sharing with u d topic. Let me assist again 2 help ur cause:

Theres no point me asking u 2go read again cos u might not understand so many words @ once. Just stick with d topic(which u can also find on d heading of each post on d thread)&compare it with ur position so as to ascertain if u on track. hope 2 hear from u
Re: Chimamanda Adichie: A Female Politician Was Judged Harshly For Stealing As Woman by OGHENAOGIE(m): 4:31pm On Sep 23, 2017
Intrepid01:

Thank you for your assumption, it is still a point, atleast to you. What you and your lots (proponents of feminism) have failed to understand is that there is a world order that naturally sets things. No matter how high you cry Man and Woman will never be equal cos they were not designed to be. What I totally support and will advocate for is "Gender Equity"....Irrespective of gender, every human, yellow or white or black deserve fairness, respect and support. But your Adichie thinks playing the victim card can change the current balance of things, the truth is it won't. Unfortunately , she has degenerated to embracing impunity for the sake of feminism. A stand that would even prevent any reasonable from listening to her in the first place. My point is she does not have to be a feminist without a functioning brain. Defending a looter, Diezani all in the name of feminism is dumb and stupid.
the world cant be equal let alone men equity is d tin...bt all men deserve fair and just treatment...u guys are jst reading another meaning to her disposition....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Soyinka Apologizes For Criticizing Buhari: "It Was A Miscommunication" / WEB...Travails of a detective. / Debate... Female Education Is Better Than Male Education.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.