Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,191 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:08 AM

Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? (4366 Views)

Paystack Investors Enjoy 1440% Return On Investment / Stripe Acquires Nigeria’s Paystack For $200 Million To Expand Into Africa / Paystack Review: Wolves In Sheep Clothing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by asalimpo(m): 1:30am On Sep 23, 2017
Being hearing about this new startup - paystack- nigeria's version of paypal?
One could guess what the business was about by their name.
I'm wondering what they did that other players (etranzact,voguepay,remita etc) did wrong or didnt see coming?
Wasnt voguepay buzzing a while ago? Then remita, - you can pay nepa bills with it right?

Anyway, i'm beginning to see something about business patterns here:
It's like the supermarket retailers in my area. Some small shop opens,
dies out after a while, it happens with much frequency until another seller with deeper pockets
sets up a more well stocked shop - eventually pulling clients away from the other shops!!!
Clients will buy from a busier,more stocked shop - than from a scanty less crowded shop!! -

Same thing happened in telecoms. There was once nitel,mtel,starcomms,mobitel,
all competing in the mobile space until - a bigger fish ate them all up.

Isnt that what's happening here?

I'm not bashing paystack or putting it down. Just think, they're entering a market that other players had been trying to serve. So is the buzz all bout the funding? Heard that they got lotta funding - So is the buzz all about that?

2 Likes

Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 23, 2017
asalimpo:
Being hearing about this new startup - paystack- nigeria's version of paypal?
One could guess what the business was about by their name.
I'm wondering what they did that other players (etranzact,voguepay,remita etc) did wrong or didnt see coming?
Wasnt voguepay buzzing a while ago? Then remita, - you can pay nepa bills with it right?

Anyway, i'm beginning to see something about business patterns here:
It's like the supermarket retailers in my area. Some small shop opens,
dies out after a while, it happens with much frequency until another seller with deeper pockets
sets up a more well stocked shop - eventually pulling clients away from the other shops!!!
Clients will buy from a busier,more stocked shop - than from a scanty less crowded shop!! -

Same thing happened in telecoms. There was once nitel,mtel,starcomms,mobitel,
all competing in the mobile space until - a bigger fish ate them all up.

Isnt that what's happening here?

I'm not bashing paystack or putting it down. Just think, they're entering a market that other players had been trying to serve. So is the buzz all bout the funding? Heard that they got lotta funding - So is the buzz all about that?

Documentation , ease of integration and a very detailed dashboard for transaction logs and much more. I work in a Fintech company and I should say they also have a strong developer community relationship

6 Likes

Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by olamil34(m): 10:02am On Sep 23, 2017
i would say documentation cause all u have to do with paystack is to send a simple token to your server when the transaction done, and the quality of engineers that they have is pretty high
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by talk2hb1(m): 12:36pm On Sep 23, 2017
@asalimpo
Can you imagine the ease of integrating paystack most especially the inline method of integration, payer dont have to leave your system before making payment (good user experience), % cut on payment 3% with maximum cap of 2500 (business people love that), many more.
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by BlueMagnificent(m): 12:50pm On Sep 23, 2017
I tried their demo integration and it was awesome, coupled with the fact that you can transact with low amount. I kind of feel they will serve SMEs better

1 Like

Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by yorex2011: 9:57pm On Sep 25, 2017
Still boils down to funding. Better soup, na money kill am
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by lordZOUGA(m): 8:26am On Sep 27, 2017
User experience. It is something that most companies don't seem to pay attention to. It is not enough that your product works, people have to like using it too.

That is the same reason Slack is dominating the messaging ecosystem, they offer the same things their competitors offer but in a way that you will want to use them even if you don't really have to.
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by fretfingers: 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2017
1. They got funding from an accelerator program. Got mentorship from professionals (project managers, business developers and so on) during the boot camp. This amidst others - fine tuned their idea at its early stage.

2. Easy payment gateway integration - You do not necessarily have to be a developer or hire one before integrating payment solutions to your system.
They have two integration types :
a. URL based integration (For non developers)
b. API based integration (For developers)

3. Just to re-iterate what pcguru said - They got nice, easy and detailed documentation.

I have not worked with much payment gateways but I have worked with Remitter and Interswitch... and I still prefer Paystack - fast growing, easy to integrate, very developer friendly integration process and less than two years old online payment solutions. cheesy grin

Remiter wouldnt had made waves if they didnt have govt strong backing - Government at one point made it compulsory for its parastatals to integrate Remiter into their system. This made system vendors to integrate with Remiter so as to remain relevant in the govt clime.

Integrating with them was World War Zee... not too good support.

Lemme stop here I have said enough already and its getting too long - Boring cool

Modified: If you want to push your start up idea to the accelerator (Where Paystack got their first big funding) to get funding... They are called YC Combinator

Just thought I should drop it here for guys that have ideas and do not know about this start up funding programs... There are lots and lots of them... if you do not know.... then you have not start searching well....

There is "The Next Titan", Diamond bank, UBA and so many other Investor funding programs as well as accelerator programs... However you need to also sell your idea well - PITCH ...

Good luck to everyone is search of making your startup go global. cool cool

4 Likes

Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by TheTechMan: 1:16am On Sep 28, 2017
Can I integrate paystack to my WordPress site and receive payment from within Nigeria and from other countries of the world?

1 Like

Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by fretfingers: 1:56am On Sep 28, 2017
Sure... Check their docs
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by SilverG33k(m): 9:17am On Sep 28, 2017
What others do wrong is UX(user experience) you could imagine how webPay would do their own payment interface on an android app, it would have been horrible and disastrous, after collecting a huge sum of 150,000, that's bad

Other web processors actually don't care for startups, they made receiving payments hard, so hard. I've tried almost all payment processors but only Voguepay and cashenvoy are fair to startups.

Meanwhile, paystack offers the power to totally control how you want to receive your money, everyone can receive payments without hassles, from an individual who doesn't even have a webpage, to a blogger, to an iOS developer to an Android developer like me.... Everybody!

What do they collect? Your cac certificate and a corporate account and that's all, same service delivery as other giants, even slightly better....

I don't work for them but I will definitely do my internship(IT) there if possible work there, they are just awesome.
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 28, 2017
SilverG33k:
What others do wrong is UX(user experience) you could imagine how webPay would do their own payment interface on an android app, it would have been horrible and disastrous, after collecting a huge sum of 150,000, that's bad

Other web processors actually don't care for startups, they made receiving payments hard, so hard. I've tried almost all payment processors but only Voguepay and cashenvoy are fair to startups.

Meanwhile, paystack offers the power to totally control how you want to receive your money, everyone can receive payments without hassles, from an individual who doesn't even have a webpage, to a blogger, to an iOS developer to an Android developer like me.... Everybody!

What do they collect? Your cac certificate and a corporate account and that's all, same service delivery as other giants, even slightly better....

I don't work for them but I will definitely do my internship(IT) there if possible work there, they are just awesome.

It is not horrible you have already concluded without even testing or using it, if you want to have an idea it's on Github account called Techquest, it even has a screenshot and companies use it, so might be better to have proof before making such claim, I worked with the team on WebPay and yes it's not as bad as it was before, most merchant still use the old one, a lot of you haven't seen the new one that's why. But PayStack UX is good though I give it to them

1 Like

Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by godofbrowser(m): 12:38am On Sep 29, 2017
pcguru1:

It is not horrible you have already concluded without even testing or using it, if you want to have an idea it's on Github account called Techquest, it even has a screenshot and companies use it, so might be better to have proof before making such claim, I worked with the team on WebPay and yes it's not as bad as it was before, most merchant still use the old one, a lot of you haven't seen the new one that's why. But PayStack UX is good though I give it to them

Webpay updated their UI after paystack started making waves. What message does that pass across? That they were misbehaving on purpose because there was no competition. Well, if they like let them hire 50,000 frontend engineers, they are gone from my list for good.

TSTV is about to do the same to dstv.
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by Nobody: 4:56am On Sep 29, 2017
godofbrowser:

Webpay updated their UI after paystack started making waves. What message does that pass across? That they were misbehaving on purpose because there was no competition. Well, if they like let them hire 50,000 frontend engineers, they are gone from my list for good.

TSTV is about to do the same to dstv.

Way before, lol indirectly in plenty of ways you still use Interswitch, but not here to argue though and yes competition is good sadly a lot of things I can't say but API are created to make small business or startups use to enhance their business that's where every company is heading so that fintech startups can adopt and build their product on that. Can't explain here also if TSTV is serious they can make cash because a lot of us are looking for alternatives I was referred to about Kwese TV
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by JohnNgene: 3:25pm On Feb 17, 2020
Hmmm... Interesting.
Re: Paystack - What Did Others Do Wrong? by peterincredible: 6:37pm On Feb 17, 2020
JohnNgene:
Hmmm... Interesting.
this same paystack wey dey give me problem to use for my nodejs app for almost 3hrs today b4 my laptop battery run down hmmm anyway i will continue 2morrow

(1) (Reply)

Starting Pure Water Business / I Need Opay Pos In Benin City / How To Start Phone Accessories Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.