Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi (9265 Views)

Allow Buhari, Governors For Third Term - Oko Enya Tells NASS, Attorney-General / Accountant-General Of The Federation’s Office In Abuja Is On Fire / How Ambode, Aide, Attorney General Plan To Retire Tinubu After Re-election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by FutureLeader00: 11:49am On Sep 23, 2017
Haven been looking for a definite answer to this particular question that has been bothering my mind for some times now.
In Nigeria, as we all know we have both CJN(Chief Justice of Nigeria) and AGF( Attorney General of the Federation), is there any distinctive features between this two offices or are they performing the same roles?
In some western countries such as colombia, Australia, Britain and the likes they only have the AGF as agianst that of Nigeria setting.
I want to learn, let's rub minds

Mynd44, lalasticlala, seun
Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by ivandragon: 12:00pm On Sep 23, 2017
modified*

sorry, I thought you were asking the difference between an AG & MoJ...

the Attorney General is the legal prosecutor & adviser for the government...

the Chief Justice is the head of the Judiciary which is the 3rd arm of a federal government & is independent.

1 Like

Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by Ninethmare: 12:03pm On Sep 23, 2017
Both of them are stupid

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by baralatie(m): 12:06pm On Sep 23, 2017
one is an attorney (lawyer)
the other is a judge(bench and court)
very different offices and functions
Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by FutureLeader00: 12:14pm On Sep 23, 2017
ivandragon:
modified*

sorry, I thought you were asking the difference between an AG & MoJ...

the Attorney General is the legal prosecutor & adviser for the government...

the Chief Justice is the head of the Judiciary which is the 3rd arm of a federal government & is independent.
Okay but why is that the AGF double as the minister of justice?
Kindly expantiate.
Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by ivandragon: 7:18pm On Sep 23, 2017
FutureLeader00:

Okay but why is that the AGF double as the minister of justice?
Kindly expantiate.

depends on how one looks at it...

there is really no difference in the terminology because they both refer to the chief law enforcement officer for the government.

which is why in the US, the department of justice headed by the AG, oversees the activities of all paramilitary services (there might be exceptions which I am not aware of).

but in Nigeria, most of our MoJs don't know their duties & the structure of our internal security doesn't help matters.

if one however wants to really debate the issue, then the AG should be an independent prosecutor like INEC, ICPC, CBN etc (in theory anyway) while the MoJ should be more of a regulator...
Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by pandoras08(m): 7:20am On Jan 17, 2019
This question has been on my mind for a while now. I still haven't seen in clear cut English, their different roles and who has seniority.
Someone should kindly please expantiate
Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by helinues: 7:29am On Jan 17, 2019
Attorney general is the lawyer for FG
Chief Justice is head of judiciary

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by Eco101: 7:49am On Jan 17, 2019
pandoras08:
This question has been on my mind for a while now. I still haven't seen in clear cut English, their different roles and who has seniority.
Someone should kindly please expantiate
There are 3 arms/organs of government: The executive, legislature and judiciary. The AG & Minister of Justice is a Lawyer and Prosecutor to the executive arm, while the CJN is the head of the Judiciary. Succintly, the President (Buhari) is the head of executive arm of which AG is part of, Senate President (Saraki) is the head of legislative arm, Chief Justice of Nigeria (Onnoyen) is the head of the judicial arm.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's The Difference Between Attorney General Of The Federation And Chief Justi by davidblack007(m): 7:47am On Dec 03, 2020
Once upon a time I was looking for answers to such questions. Well, judging from my experience, I can say that not always official explanations can satisfy the reality of the situation. The attorney general, as the accusing party, will always depend on third parties. A government judge is an independent body that should lead and be held accountable for judicial decisions, but in practice this is not entirely true. Check out personalinjuryking.com/personal-injury-oxnard/car-accident/ here. The prosecutor will deal only with direct duties, as a representative of the law, and the judge is a representative of the authorities and will deal with decisions equivalent to punishments for acts.

(1) (Reply)

Omah Lay's Grand Father (the Musical Legend Of His Time) / Don’t Allow PDP Back To Power, Tinubu Tells Nigerians / See Tinubu Fingers, Does He Bath At All? - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.