Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,840 members, 7,810,235 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:19 AM

Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday (1598 Views)

What Is The Cost Of The New Awolowo Statue In Ikeja? / When Is Okorocha Going To Commission AWOLOWO Statue? / The Unveiling Of The New Chief Obafemi Awolowo Statue By Governor Ambode (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by kola639: 9:00pm On Sep 23, 2017
A MAN'S GOOD WORKS OUTLIVES HIM AS,
AMBODE TO UNVEIL NEW AWOLOWO STATUE TUESDAY
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Akinwunmi Ambode will on Tuesday September 26, 2017 unveil a new iconic statue of the late sage and nationalist, Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
The imposing bust located on Obafemi Awolowo Way by the Lagos Television (LTV) junction in Ikeja, is a befitting replacement to the old Awolowo statue that was removed from the Allen Avenue round-about in Ikeja.

Standing at 20 feet, the new Awo bust will be unveiled by Governor Ambode alongside notable dignitaries across the State.
The unveiling ceremony is also expected to be witnessed by members of the Awolowo family and Awoists across the country, with minimal traffic disruption between 11am and 12noon on Tuesday.

Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr. Steve Ayorinde in a statement on Saturday said that Tuesday’s ceremony will reinforce Governor Ambode's commitment to acknowledging the contributions of patriots whose deeds and ideals were instrumental to making Lagos State in particular and the South-West region in general a formidable political and intellectual force within Nigeria.

''It has always been Governor Ambode's desire to honour patriots and nationalists like Chief Obafemi Awolowo whose impeccable record and immense contribution to regional and national development inspired new generation of brilliant and forward-looking politicians like the Governor himself,'' Ayorinde said.
He added that erecting the bust on the same road that was named after the former Premier of Western region several years ago and beside the television station that was the first to be owned by a State Government “is a unique way to keep the Awo legacy alive in Lagos State.”

Designed and produced by Hamza Atta, the Awo bust symbolizes and projects his true value and reminds visitors and history enthusiast about the legacy of the foremost statesman.

Chief Jeremiah Obafemi Awolowo was the first Premier of Western Region after playing a key role in Nigeria’s Independence in 1960. He led what was regarded as the most efficient Civil Service in West-Africa, which led to the transformation of major sectors in Nigeria especially the Western region.
As the Asiwaju Omo Oodua, Chief Awolowo integrated and seamlessly developed the then Western Region through the construction of modern and sustainable infrastructure and industries which expanded trade and improved the economy of the region.

His free education scheme in the region, which was first of its kind in Africa, remains a point of reference till date.

It was the late politician that set up Nigeria’s first industrial complex and commercial housing estate in Ikeja and Ibadan which has remained a sustainable driver of the region’s economy.
His contributions towards responsive governance in the then Western Region, particularly Lagos, remain one of the bedrock of the state development.

SIGNED
STEVE AYORINDE
COMMISSIONER FOR INFORMATION & STRATEGY
LAGOS STATE
SEPTEMBER 23, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Ttalk: 9:03pm On Sep 23, 2017
Late baba Awo was a legend in the likes of Ghandi, Mandella, M Luther.

It is sad that most politician of today that claimed to be Awoist have since abandoned the progressive stands he's known for but are busy deceiving the people
They wear semblance glass but cant see the next man, they dorn the cap on a head with no brain. Shioor to any politician that rose to stardom on Awo's back but neglect his legacy

8 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by MasterChen: 9:05pm On Sep 23, 2017
Niiice!

From Lagos-Ekiti, Awo has streets and monuments named after him. All attempts to slander this man are exercises in futility

12 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by samsobo24(m): 9:05pm On Sep 23, 2017
A very good one,using arts to beautify the city also tells more stories about a city

1 Like

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by nairavsdollars(f): 9:07pm On Sep 23, 2017
Good one sir but fill all potholes on Lagos roads and regulate DONT BAN DANFOS
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by IHEJIRIKAisBOKO: 9:09pm On Sep 23, 2017
MasterChen:
Niiice!
Nice one indeed. When the 4th Mainland Bridge get built eventually, I wish it be named Obafemi Awolowo Bridge.

6 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by omofunaab(m): 9:19pm On Sep 23, 2017
Good

3 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by samsobo24(m): 9:21pm On Sep 23, 2017
nairavsdollars:
Good one sir but fill all potholes on Lagos roads and regulate DONT BAN DANFOS
I must say this, to maintain total sanity in Lagos,danfo buses must be banned.
The Lagos state gov anyway has said,there would be job substitution for them

1 Like

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by MasterChen: 9:23pm On Sep 23, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
Nice one indeed. When the 4th Mainland Bridge get built eventually, I wish it be named Obafemi Awolowo Bridge.

Idiots from land of the rising potopoto think Yorubas give a fook about their feelings.

Going by how much they've tried to paint him black, one would expect Yorubas to hate him lol

12 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by AfonjaConehead: 9:38pm On Sep 23, 2017
OTAPIAPIA grin RATATTAK grin grin

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Cinkq: 9:48pm On Sep 23, 2017
Most people in this country are educated today because of awolowo's legacy.
some people even believe he ended the Nigeria and Biafra war without firing a shot.

so if you ask me i will tell you PA Awolowo deserves more than this. Baba remains the most visionary leader Nigeria has ever had .His legacy lives on.

7 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Orodje(m): 9:55pm On Sep 23, 2017
Nice one for the legend we have Awolowo road here in Sapele, Delta State cool

4 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by MasterChen: 10:05pm On Sep 23, 2017
Orodje:
Nice one for the legend we have Awolowo road here in Sapele, Delta State cool

A road was named after an Afonja in Biafraland?

3 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by bullbull2: 10:13pm On Sep 23, 2017
It shows the level of illiteracy in Nigeria
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by laudate: 2:18am On Sep 24, 2017
MasterChen:

Sapele is in the Niger Delta, not in Biafra land, o! shocked cheesy It used to be in the old Midwest region, but it is now in Delta state.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by laudate: 2:22am On Sep 24, 2017
Cinkq:
Most people in this country are educated today because of awolowo's legacy.
some people even believe he ended the Nigeria and Biafra war without firing a shot.

so if you ask me i will tell you PA Awolowo deserve more than this. Baba remains the most visionary leader Nigeria has ever had .His legacy lives on.

Even the Igbo speaking areas of the old Midwest got free education as a result of Awolowo ''s policy, before their region was separated from the old Western region.

8 Likes

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by I888(m): 6:03am On Sep 24, 2017
Ttalk:
Late baba Awo was a legend in the likes of Ghandi, Mandella, M Luther.

It is sad that most politician of today that claimed to be Awoist have since abandoned the progressive stands he's known for but are busy deceiving the people
They wear semblance glass but cant see the next man, they dorn the cap on a head with no brain. Shioor to any politician that rose to stardom on Awo's back but neglect his legacy
Tinubu comes to mind grin
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Cinkq: 7:20am On Sep 24, 2017
laudate:

Even the Igbo speaking areas of the old Midwest got free education as a result of Awolowo ''s policy, before their region was separated from the old Western region.
FACT

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by DMerciful(m): 7:45am On Sep 24, 2017
When they renamed Unilag to Maulag in honour of Abiola, dint the West protest? If they are serious about Awolowo, let them rename 3rd mainland bridge to Awolowo bridge na!
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Lipscomb(m): 7:53am On Sep 24, 2017
Awolowo extended his gesture on free education to anambra and Enugu and sponsored 68 people in your region to acquired education in London ask your grandfather if I'm lying bastard ungrateful people
AfonjaConehead:
OTAPIAPIA
grin
RATATTAK grin
grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by ProWalker: 7:56am On Sep 24, 2017
AfonjaConehead:
OTAPIAPIA
grin
RATATTAK grin
grin

Liverpool bridge fall on you grin

1 Like

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Michael004: 10:18am On Sep 24, 2017
IHEJIRIKAisBOKO:
Go and drink poison if you are pained.
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Michael004: 10:23am On Sep 24, 2017
MasterChen:

Lol, my man, whether they like it or not. There are awolowo road in almost all south east state. Even on north
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Michael004: 10:26am On Sep 24, 2017
DMerciful:
When they renamed Unilag to Maulag in honour of Abiola, dint the West protest? If they are serious about Awolowo, let them rename 3rd mainland bridge to Awolowo bridge na!
Which west protest? You mean the student is now west Mr mumu. If third mainland bridge is named awolowo bridge, we will surely accept it with joy. You know what, awooo our father.
Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 24, 2017
Awo my hero!
Even when I was in Delta and Bayelsa state, people talk good about this man.
Awo, the legend.

1 Like

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 24, 2017
Awo my hero!
Even when I was in Delta and Bayelsa state, people talk good about this man.
Awo, the legend.

1 Like

Re: Ambode To Unveil Awolowo Statue Tuesday by mideactive: 11:33am On Sep 24, 2017
Too bad,they used his own ppl against him.I fear d same is happening to Tinubu right now.no wonder Obj prefers friendship with d north.Yoruba ronu! moreover,I wish all dis our omo ale govs.have 1/4 of Awo's vision..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Unbellivable As Buhari Finally Breaks Silence Why Nigeria Suffering Today / Tinubu, Eight Governors To Leave APC Soon, Reveals PDP Chieftain / Interesting Facebook Post About Fulani Herdsmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.