Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,913 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence - Music/Radio (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence (16240 Views)

Is Ponmile By Reminisce Overrated Or Underrated? / Reminisce And Ola Dips Dancing Lalakukulala / Download Ponmile By Reminisce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 24, 2017
He only painted what's obtainable with marriage crisis in Nigeria. If na oyinbo setting, your observation may have been plausible. He is singing about Nigeria and I think the whole essence of the song is to make us understand DV has got to stop and we got to do things differently.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by MuttleyLaff: 12:04pm On Sep 24, 2017
OEPHIUS:
Just when I thought my song of this month is Cardi B's Bodak Yellow, I stumbled on one that blew me out of the water.

"Ponmile" by Reminisce is great. The audio, cool and then I saw the video. I was enjoying it until it got to a point and I hated the song.
I hated the song not because the song was not good and all but the video passes a subtle message that made my entire body revolt.

It featured Adekola Odunlade and Lota Chukwu, great acting by the two of them except for some flaws.

1. When he slapped her in 2:58, I am pretty sure he slapped her left cheek so why was she holding her right cheek?
Oh well……maybe reverbration happened but the second issue is my main issue.

2. The song goes
"I love you no more, ko ma kin se'se ooooo (I love you no more is not a sin)
If you don't love me again, please let me know
Malo je kin ka e mo corner pele brother Samu (dont let it be that I find you cheating with some guy)
Olewu ooo; its very dangerous"

For a song that carried such words, I didnt expect it to have a domestic violence scene.
Yeah yeah, he had a disclaimer in the end about how he doesnt believe in DV
but isnt it weird that all through the song, the man was keeping in the madness his wife was throwing at him.
He was keeping his demons chained until it got to the part where Reminisce said cheating for her will be dangerous.

You are in a country where domestic violence (especially against women) is high
and you come out to do a video that subtly promotes it (the disclaimer doesnt do it please).

I told a friend that I will prefer if the video showed that the man imagined the entire domestic violence part and he just snapped out of it
and decided to look at her and say "I need a divorce"
not end where the man raise a machete, and changed his mind about killing her.

We know the man never actually proved that she was cheating just suspicions
and he started acting weird which was what made the woman go psycho.

Before you go "but it is just a song; an artistic impression",
please I have heard where peoole use songs to relate to their personal lives
and musicians should try harder to make things better not make it look okay and then do a disclaimer.

Olamide's "Story for the gods" and the date rape all over the song is another source of concern but issue for another day.

By the way, here is a video of the song

h ttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vDQQSvJf8

Have a great day

CC mynd44
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
Not justifying infidelity nor cordoning any form of domestic abuse, battering or family violence
but you seem to have chosen to omit from your analysis/critic, the twist or surprise ending of the music and entertainment video,
and that's especially where it particularly and dramatically ended with the following dialogue:

Man (Adekola Odunlade):
What's your problem?
You're very stupid. Go and call my dad

Woman (Lota Chukwu):
You are impotent!

Reality had not lived up to her expectations
Moral of the video: Expectation feeds frustration
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by colossus91(m): 1:24pm On Sep 24, 2017
reminisce is a genius ........am serious that song is dope am an ig o guy buy reminisce has been doing it for me,even sings better love songs than some frog voiced and childish overrated wizard!!

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by HORLADSTAR(m): 1:44pm On Sep 24, 2017
Hello mr OP come dey go cos papa dey call u for house.And one more thing,Abeg don't try to criticize olamide ''story for the god'' cos flaws no dey that song at all.and if u didn't wanna heed to my word then i will have to show u my other side.
ABEG WHAT AM I SAYING,WETIN I DEY YARN SEF MTCHEEW
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Jimmy231: 2:14pm On Sep 24, 2017
Coloradvantage:
how does unemployment and been a Nigerian have to do with analysing an issue from your own perspective ... bros. this review is very healthy, even reminisce will be happy to see it.
Bird of the same feather
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by asids55: 3:09pm On Sep 24, 2017
Mynd44:

I totally get your point. What I was saying is that, although nagging is bad and some words hurt more than violence, the man shouldn't have responded with violence. Handle it better, it is time we men told fellow men to rise about this. Let the women talk to their own people.

I saw the video too and at a lot of points, the man could have choses not to listen to his wife and walked awaY, left the house, get head sets and listen to "kako bi chicken". The fact that he responded with violence is not good.

Now as for the nagging woman, this just kills.

please can you vouch for richiy
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by asids55: 3:28pm On Sep 24, 2017
Mynd44:
True but nagging should never be responded to with slaps
hello sir..please am about doing business with richiy,can you vouch for her?
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Richiy(f): 3:52pm On Sep 24, 2017
asids55:

Please what business are we doing? I am confused.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by asids55: 3:53pm On Sep 24, 2017
Richiy:

Please what business are we doing? I am confused.
am about selling a gift card to you..you contacted me on what's app
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Mynd44: 3:56pm On Sep 24, 2017
asids55:

Please ignore that person. Dont trade
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Mynd44: 3:56pm On Sep 24, 2017
asids55:

am about selling a gift card to you..you contacted me on what's app
Its a scammer disguising as her. Run, report the number
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by asids55: 3:57pm On Sep 24, 2017
Mynd44:
Please ignore that person. Dont trade
thanks
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Richiy(f): 4:10pm On Sep 24, 2017
asids55:

thanks

My account was freaking hacked!!! I don't trade itunes whatsoever please.

Thank you Mynd!!!!
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Wristler: 4:13pm On Sep 24, 2017
Reminisce is one of the best artistes in Africa and for me, the best Yoruba Hip Hop artiste.
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by zamanii: 4:15pm On Sep 24, 2017
OEPHIUS:
Just when I thought my song of this month is Cardi B's Bodak Yellow, I stumbled on one that blew me out of the water.

"Ponmile" by Reminisce is great. The audio, cool and then I saw the video. I was enjoying it until it got to a point and I hated the song. I hated the song not because the song was not good and all but the video passes a subtle message that made my entire body revolt.

It featured Adekola Odunlade and Lota Chukwu, great acting by the two of them except for some flaws.

1. When he slapped her in 2:58, I am pretty sure he slapped her left cheek so why was she holding her right cheek? Oh well……maybe reverbration happened but the second issue is my main issue.

2. The song goes
Malo je kin ka e mo corner pele brother Samu (dont let it be that I find you cheating with some guy)

For a song that carried such words, I didnt expect it to have a domestic violence scene. Yeah yeah, he had a disclaimer in the end about how he doesnt believe in DV but isnt it weird that all through the song, the man was keeping in the madness his wife was throwing at him. He was keeping his demons chained until it got to the part where Reminisce said cheating for her will be dangerous.

You are in a country where domestic violence (especially against women) is high and you come out to do a video that subtly promotes it (the disclaimer doesnt do it please).

I told a friend that I will prefer if the video showed that the man imagined the entire domestic violence part and he just snapped out of it and decided to look at her and say "I need a divorce" not end where the man raise a machete, and changed his mind about killing her.

We know the man never actually proved that she was cheating just suspicions and he started acting weird which was what made the woman go psycho.

Before you go "but it is just a song; an artistic impression", please I have heard where peoole use songs to relate to their personal lives and musicians should try harder to make things better not make it look okay and then do a disclaimer.

Olamide's "Story for the gods" and the date rape all over the song is another source of concern but issue for another day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vDQQSvJf8

Have a great day

CC mynd44
Lalasticlala
Ishilove

Much ado about nothing. I'm surprised you gave the 'olewu it's very dangerous' such interpretation despite your knowledge of the Yoruba language.

We all respond to cheating in a different way. While you interpret it's very dangerous to mean dangerous for her, what if Reminisce meant the danger was for him? I mean, maybe he's the kind of person whose response to his wife cheating on him would be to do harm himself out of frustration?

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 24, 2017
The way people correct another man's work these days, you'd think they know it all.

It's a free world anyway, just hit the studio and record not the remix but the correction.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by mrsuperswag(m): 6:02pm On Sep 24, 2017
so if a man catches his wife cheating with another man.....the heartbreak is not dangerous

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by tommybliss007(m): 6:09pm On Sep 24, 2017
OEPHIUS:

"Ponmile" by Reminisce is great. The audio, cool and then I saw the video. I was enjoying it until it got to a point and I hated the song. I hated the song not because the song was not good and all but the video passes a subtle message that made my entire body revolt.

1. When he slapped her in 2:58, I am pretty sure he slapped her left cheek so why was she holding her right cheek? Oh well……maybe reverbration happened but the second issue is my main issue.

2. The song goes

For a song that carried such words, I didnt expect it to have a domestic violence scene. Yeah yeah, he had a disclaimer in the end about how he doesnt believe in DV but isnt it weird that all through the song, the man was keeping in the madness his wife was throwing at him. He was keeping his demons chained until it got to the part where Reminisce said cheating for her will be dangerous.

You are in a country where domestic violence (especially against women) is high and you come out to do a video that subtly promotes it (the disclaimer doesnt do it please).

I told a friend that I will prefer if the video showed that the man imagined the entire domestic violence part and he just snapped out of it and decided to look at her and say "I need a divorce" not end where the man raise a machete, and changed his mind about killing her.

We know the man never actually proved that she was cheating just suspicions and he started acting weird which was what made the woman go psycho.

Before you go "but it is just a song; an artistic impression", please I have heard where peoole use songs to relate to their personal lives and musicians should try harder to make things better not make it look okay and then do a disclaimer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3vDQQSvJf8

Have a great day

CC mynd44
Lalasticlala
Ishilove
saying is dangerous doesn't imply danger on d side of the woman,it could mean it will hurt him and heart broken

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by Nobody: 6:39pm On Sep 24, 2017
DavidEsq:

That makes the artiste all the more guilty cos cos knew DV to be the purport or central message of the video. Does a man say because he placed a warning sign "beware of dogs" on his gate, he is therefore justified to keep the gate wide open?

You are very much free to enter through the gate and ignore the warning sign... na your life ooo
Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by sugaslim(m): 7:11pm On Sep 24, 2017
The video did not have any bad image,
Rather it promotes calmness, and we should all learn to walk away from anger.
The video is far better compare to the ones that girls will be naked shaking bumbum

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by SPEEDEPITOME(f): 8:11pm On Sep 24, 2017
OP, the message is clear. Don't push your partner to the extent that they'll be forced to raise hands on you. If you're tired, just walk away. Our threshold differs, don't push anyway to their limit. Everyone will come here and say they'll never beat their woman but have you ever been pushed to the wall?
As a lady; I say 'if you're tired, just walk away don't, if you don't, the result might be ugly'.
That's my interpretation of 'Olewu, it's very dangerous'.

1 Like

Re: A Review Of "Ponmile" By Reminisce And Its Reference To Domestic Violence by DavidEsq(m): 7:51am On Sep 25, 2017
Gentle2015:

You are very much free to enter through the gate and ignore the warning sign... na your life ooo
Lol

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iceberg Slim - "Oluwa" (Video) / Download Flavour N’abania – Nigeria Ebezina (nigeria Don't Cry) / Latest Nigerian Entertainment News

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.