Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,891 members, 7,814,009 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist (13051 Views)

The Truth About The Judgement Day You Should Know As A Christian / Instrumentalist Needed Urgently At A Redeemed Church In Ajah / Hot 20 Prayer Points For Divine Mercy And Favour You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 7:53am On Sep 24, 2017
*Things you should know as an instrumentalist*
��������

� Noise-Always have it in mind that the moment you start with the policy that you must hear yourself during a ministration/performance/presentation with your group or band, noise starts from there. I'm not saying you shouldn't be audible with your instrument, its not in all cases that the musical gadgets will produce what you want, moreover they have their limits and get spoilt even at work.

� Submission - No matter what the case may be, even if the lead vocalist isn't as bold or good as expected, submit to him/her, respect the little talent, encourage that person, and never say you are too good to play for an artist.

� Respect - To everybody you come across in life, they have their different ways of perfectly displaying their musical talents, that they are not good on a particular pattern/style doesn't mean they are worst in other aspects, and if it's about just learning, life is a university if learning where even the bosses learn from the upcoming ones, and where the learners overtake the bosses, I've overtaken my bosses and my students are overtaking me, that is life for you.

� Notice me - When you start to play to impress people or this eyes service of a thing, then you will surely become proud and from there, you are gradually coming down, there is no talent you've got that God hasn't given to someone, even more of it, so play naturedly and stat humble.

� Engineers - Always see your engineer(s) as your friends and never make them your friend for volume sake, if you ask for volume, as friends, he will surely increase it for you, but looking at it technically, is it necessary? So be professional.

� Rehearsal - Never depend on inspiration alone, do personal rehearsals, do it with your mates, bosses, and upcoming ones, update yourself, being the best instrumentalist in your church/band/organisation doesn't make you the best in the environment.

� Creativity - Life itself is an environment where your different concept brings you out, not by copying from people alone, but by adding yours, playing it differently

� Churches - Go for church rehearsals, don't underestimate your choir members, you are one in Christ, you may be more advanced, but don't say their level is too low to yours, if it is, then your level becomes too low for God. If you are given money, collect it, but try not to go to churches with the intention of playing to get paid, it doesn't bring prosperity in life, God gave you the talent, let him work it out for you.

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1112854755511833&id=417834548347194

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by ADEWUMIMichael(m): 7:54am On Sep 24, 2017
In addition to what the guy below me said,

Most of them especially guys do play to impress girls,

And 97% of instrumentalist are Ashewo!!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by MhizzAJ(f): 7:59am On Sep 24, 2017
Most of these instrumentalist play to impress the congregation
Afterall some of them get paid at the end of Sunday service..they no longer use their talent to serve God for free..everything na bizness these days

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Hoii(m): 11:28am On Sep 24, 2017
Na so. True talk
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Uceegal: 11:30am On Sep 24, 2017
Okay
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Narldon: 11:32am On Sep 24, 2017

There are still many good instrumentalists

I'm a Pianist

I don't Play to impress

17 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Samueldodo781(m): 11:34am On Sep 24, 2017
I play for pleasure . Not to impress or for money

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by QuietHammer(m): 11:35am On Sep 24, 2017
(9) Never play for free. The church is a business.

12 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by MrGreenMavro: 11:35am On Sep 24, 2017
j
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by McGg: 11:36am On Sep 24, 2017
I rep bass guitar and the drum set

but I no longer go to Church

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by jjbest123(m): 11:37am On Sep 24, 2017
Chai! I can remember vivdly back then, immediately after offering collection,some of us will go to another church,but immediatly the church observed that the changed our position,and it was very hard for us to even go and ease ourselves, because before you go out,you must pass in front of the congregation,no more back door things.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by abacus(m): 11:41am On Sep 24, 2017
I know one in Ilorin those days, he used secular beats to impress the congregation since they don't know meaning of beats.

Why will you play 'Oko times Oko ,obo times obo.. ' in church.

The naive congregation even wait for him to do the beat..

Well we wey sabi sabi, because Obesere has been my only music since JSS 1.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by kiddoiLL(m): 11:42am On Sep 24, 2017
After pastors, Instrumentalists are the next on list to buy first class tickets to hell. Take it or leave it. Coming from an instrumentalist who has gone to different shows and churches and seen how instrumentalists acts. We have this feeling that makes us feel like superstars. Especially guitarists. dem go con carry face up dey claim Rock star, and those gullible girls and ladies will be falling like mumu. Guy nothing way una go tell me, Instrumentalists, na dem womanize pass

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Sanchez01: 11:44am On Sep 24, 2017
MhizzAJ:
Afterall some of them get paid at the end of Sunday service..they no longer use their talent to serve God for free..everything na bizness these days
Perhaps the one that is just starting out. I felt that way when I started playing the keyboard. I definitely can't say the same now. Younger instrumentalists and choristers tend to start out with the mindset to wow someone or everyone in church. It changes with time.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by BluntBoy(m): 11:44am On Sep 24, 2017
MhizzAJ:

Don't mind them, my Queen. But then, these pastors preach to impress also and yet get paid. Church as we know it is like a corporate organization. Every worker is told to dress smart. My father played the organ for our local church for more than 20 years without demanding payment. I played for that same church throughout my years in the university. But as the Church became less conservative, I changed my tune too. After all, the Bible says a laborer should get his wages and pastors were getting theirs and living large.

5 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Sanchez01: 11:47am On Sep 24, 2017
abacus:
I know one in Ilorin those days, he used secular beats to impress the congregation since they don't know meaning of beats.

Why will you play 'Oko times Oko ,obo times obo.. ' in church.

The naive congregation even wait for him to do the beat..

Well we wey sabi sabi, because Obesere has been my only music since JSS 1.
This happens more with drummers who play with talking drummers. They tend to sync and often times find every reason to introduce their syncopations during interludes.
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Nobody: 11:51am On Sep 24, 2017
When I started playing the keyboard, I faced a lot difficulties, I didn't give up, I learnt the guitar and look forward to learning how to play the sax. I made the mistake of letting pride into my life..At time I refuse to play for those in considered as "ordinary " choristers and would only play for Top ranking choristers..but I fell, I became so bad that most times I wouldn't even get the chance to play. I went back to My father And apologised..Today i'm a better instrumentalist / chorister..

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by NnamdiN: 11:51am On Sep 24, 2017
Myhugostores dot com for all instruments
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by MrRichy(m): 11:54am On Sep 24, 2017
sometimes I play to impress... I mean impress the holy spirit .

2 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by kiddoiLL(m): 11:54am On Sep 24, 2017
MhizzAJ:
If you check well, most of them that get paid are the ones still hustling and have no good job. Most of them stop after getting jobs.. Its not as if they don't know they should play for free, Some of them it's conditions. You'll hardly see a man or young guy who has a decent job and source of income ask to be paid for playing in the Church

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Johnemeka247: 11:58am On Sep 24, 2017
Good
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Stevengerd(m): 11:59am On Sep 24, 2017
So true mehn! sometimes ah dey wicked them choristers, dem knw no say na we they cover their yansh.
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 24, 2017
I.play to impress at times(especially cute guys) grin and I had this pride issue, was always refusing to play for upcoming choristers.. Till one girl came and made herself my rival...I just asked God for a second chance..Im in love with music and instruments too.. I play the keyboard /piano, Guitar and sax . I'm still interested in learning how to drum, play the kanga and violin smiley

6 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 24, 2017
MhizzAJ:

biz?

man must chop na
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by temmytopsy1(f): 12:06pm On Sep 24, 2017
Concerning that sound ehn, you will not even hear what they are singing, all you will be hearing is the sound of piano and others.
i really miss playing conga.
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Joseunlimited(f): 12:12pm On Sep 24, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:

That ashewo aspect Na devil Dey use them
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Nobody: 12:32pm On Sep 24, 2017
If you want to be am instrumentalist go to a music school that good teachers who are real musicians.
majority of churches in nigeria promote mediocrity in music.
instrumentalist should be able to play atleast 3 musical instruments, should know his scales, sight read and play by ear.
be original not copy copy.
there is difference between music and noise.

3 Likes

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by PotatoSalad(m): 12:34pm On Sep 24, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:

u don't mean it.
Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Fingerprinter(m): 12:34pm On Sep 24, 2017
When I was still a Christian, I remember how the girls used to look and admire my handsome face as well as my guitar playing skills.
I was really good at playing highlife bass those days. These days, I am more of a lead guitarist, even though I only play at home now.
I also used to play in weddings and funerals. And I remember how the girls used to send little kids to come take my picture with their phones. Honestly, I can't remember the number of girls that have my picture in their phones. Some even go as far as taking videos of me and other members of my band while playing.
I was surprised one day that a classmate in school then told me that he saw my picture in a girl's phone in a far away state where I don't even know anybody.
I miss playing in churches and bands now. Perhaps, I'll have to go back to the church. Not to hear the voice of 'god' but to enjoy playing my music.

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Supersuave2(m): 12:35pm On Sep 24, 2017
ADEWUMIMichael:

Thank God I'm among the rest 3% grin

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by PotatoSalad(m): 12:38pm On Sep 24, 2017
I play the piano cos i enjoy playing.
not in church but in my home studio...and my neighbor's daughter think it's hot...ok bye

1 Like

Re: Things You Should Know As An Instrumentalist by Papiikush: 12:38pm On Sep 24, 2017
Narldon:

There are still many good instrumentalists

I'm a Pianist

I don't Play to impress

What church do you play For?

You can't be a bassist and wouldn't have pride when you getting the church groovy. grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Christmas Ought To Be Celebrated / Why Do You Believe In God? / Happy Birthday To Bishop David Oyedepo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.