Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,179 members, 7,953,645 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:40 PM

Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited (2195 Views)

Disqualification: APC & Buhari Reject Court's Orders Of Service / Buhari's Disqualification: Court Orders Service Of Documents On Buhari, INEC / Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 6:26pm On Feb 16, 2007
THE POSITION OF THE CONSTITUTION

INDICTED: You are free until proven guilty by a competent court of law. (OK ACCEPTED)

ELECTION: You are disqualified if you are indicted.

If the court acquits you, then you can contest election or else you remain disqualified  Court cases can last days, months or years and an election cannot wait just until some nasty criminals can prove their innocence hence the constitution was drafted to address these electoral issues.

For more info, please consult your lawyers.

Note:
People must try to understand there are two issues here. OBJ is given the power by the constitution to enforce this. It's probably never been done before and I can understand the anger in people. Only a bold President will attempt it and OBJ has the credentials as we all know. Such as Biafra (60's), Udoji Award (70's), Festac (70's), Abuja (80's), Prison (90's), Abuja Stadium(00's), EFCC (today).
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 6:38pm On Feb 16, 2007
Pay attention to the timing of the implementation and releasing of the list.

The list should have been released many many months ago.

The idea is bright, but must be done the right way, for the future of our nation.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 6:41pm On Feb 16, 2007
I'm not in support or against of the list, but BigB, the list would be pointless if it was released before the candidates were selected

EFCC or any other investigative body would be overwhelmed if it had to investigate each and every political party member, once the parties

pruned down the number to the candidates, those can be properly investigated and right conclusions achieved.

the electoral bill should be changed so that we know candidates for at least 6 months before elections so all this kind of issues can be sorted out early
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 6:46pm On Feb 16, 2007
Have you been reading the news in the USA.

You will not be surprised if Hillary Clinton is indicted few days or months to the election. That is politics my man.

The opponents wait for the last hour and pounce on the victim.

And who are the opponents?

- Companies who gave bribes,
- Charity organizations who received funding,
- Foreign bodies who signed fake contracts,
- Banks who wired funds,
- Citizens who were servant and saw lorry load of cash.

The existence of EFCC has opened up the can and not OBJ's timing. People are reporting to EFCC and they determine when they do so.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 6:56pm On Feb 16, 2007
It is obvious that you truly do not understand a lot of things that go on behind the closed door in Nigeria.

Believe me, the issue here is much bigger than just the list or corruption.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 6:58pm On Feb 16, 2007
We all know the issues are bigger, the question is: how do we make sure things are done properly?

If someone is guilty, whether there are a million others guilty or not, it does not negate his guilt. even if the guilt comes out of a personal vendetta

if the guilt is there, it should be exposed, the system should be set up so that things are clear for a long time before elections

2 months to elections and we are still not sure who will contest or not, that is an immature democracy, we need to improve.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 7:04pm On Feb 16, 2007
Are these peopel guilty?

If they are guilty, could you please name the court of law where the trial took place?
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 7:06pm On Feb 16, 2007
Thanks guys, I am happy some people are getting the picture. What you have is an adopted system of government

The solution to this would be for the young generation to redraft the Constitution. Unfortunately it was written during the dark ages before most of you were born or infant.

These events seems to hurt the youth than the politicians themselves and they don't have the system to explain it to the public.

In the western world, the youth are so comfortable, that they care less about politics. They are given incentives to participate in elections and vote.

Nigerian youths want a change hence they feel upset about the way things are organized. Unfortunately, it not your fault.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 7:10pm On Feb 16, 2007
@debosky and shutmouth

Will it be fair if you're stopped from accomplishing your goal because you're accused of stealing computers; and you didn't have the opportunity to defend yourself? How would you feel, my friends?

You guys should start thinking about things, because this same illegal practice you guys are supporting might be used indirectly in the future against you.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 7:12pm On Feb 16, 2007
Guilt, MR BigB is not the same as an indictment, which can be handed down by a court or a properly constituted tribunal under the Inquiry Act

if sufficient time is given (e.g 6months) between candidature and elections, any false indictments can be cleared up in the courts

@shutmouth, the constitution was written in 1999, not in the 'dark ages' and i'm sure some 'youths' were also involved.

no 'youths' were involved in drafting the US constitution so that is obviously not the issue, it needs to be one that is agreed to by everyone, not one

foisted on us by the military.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 7:16pm On Feb 16, 2007
To be frank, the whole process is not fair at all, don't get me wrong.

However, elections must go on, you cannot wait endlessly for the courts.

In the western world, the politicians simply give up and resign knowing that fighting their innocence may consume time.

In Nigeria, they are not used to the system hence the fight to finish.

What can we do, blame our fore fathers who chose to adopt a foreign constitution.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 7:20pm On Feb 16, 2007
@debosky

It is being used to accomplish personal agenda; it is not fair and not civilized.

Infact, every single politician in Nigeria is effected by this policy, but of course some are protected while others are being exposed.

Our constitution should be respected by making use of it appropriately; not for self benefit as it been currently used.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 7:33pm On Feb 16, 2007
My men, there is a secret I want to share with you.

Have you wondered what will happen to OBJ if he does not apply the chapter in the Constitution before the election.

Guess what?

EFCC will indict him for not fulfilling his legal obligations as President and blame him if the indicted politicians are later found guilty of corruption after the election.

These guys (OBJ and Ribadu) may be sharing information but I don't think is a dubious one but one that will make sure events don't come back to hunt OBJ.

Think about it.

Not even VODOO can stop Ribadu, EFCC is here to stay and Nigerian politics is maturing!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 7:59pm On Feb 16, 2007
Not even VODOO can stop Ribadu, EFCC is here to stay!

Lovely statement.

HATE IT OR LOVE IT THE UNDERDOGS ARE ON TOP.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by Mamajama(m): 8:18pm On Feb 16, 2007
BIGB1 don't you think this officials relinquish the constitutional right by been involved in scrupulous activity? in a

civilized contry you resign once indicted for funds mismanagement or any crime. but in Nigeria they all

boost and wasting public funds to defend themselves. Are there no more competent people to replace all

this old politicians? why are we so scared of change? defend the constitution and everyone should be giving

right and privilege to defend themselves. but a public official that blindly stole from the public should be

ridicule out of office. That is the only way Nigerians will progress and stop empathizing with all this people my friend
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 8:34pm On Feb 16, 2007
If that is the case, OBJ should be the first to resign.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 8:35pm On Feb 16, 2007
The truth is that only those in opposition understands what the constitution says these days, expecially those in AC (Atiku Congregation or Army of Calumny).
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 8:38pm On Feb 16, 2007
EFCC will indict OBJ in a couple of days or weeks. I can predict it and Ribadu has promised he will release the investigation report shortly. There will be damning evidence regarding his investments while serving as President. OBJ is doing all he can to avoid even more damning scenarios and he is being tipped to do so.

The timing must be right. Then the world will learn to fear Ribadu

OBJ is scared of Ribadu, contrary to what you guys think.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 8:43pm On Feb 16, 2007
@ BigB Obj is going, he has less than 120 days to go. the battle now is for the future of Nigeria. We cannot, I repeat CANNOT allow things to go

on as usual. I am not a supporter of those who believe Obj is squeaky clean, that is not the issue. the people wanting to take office: how clean are they?

how have they fared with what has been given to them to serve with? This issue has gone beyond mere personalities - let each man defend the

case against him and stop chasing shadows.

@ shutmouth, Obj will not be indicted, trailers from the report already say the London Met cleared him of having foreign accounts. I am much less concerned about someone who is leaving than those who will take over from him. those are the ones we should be considering.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 8:50pm On Feb 16, 2007
The Politics Rule is:

DON'T DABBLE INTO POLITICS IF YOU ARE NOT STRONG HEARTED.

This has never been the case in Nigeria. With Ribadu all is about to change.

Hey, the TAX BOARD hasn't got involved yet in screening the politicians. Ribadu says they must be or he will indict members of the tax board, so there is more actions on the way.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 8:53pm On Feb 16, 2007
My main grouse with all these issues is the timing: why now? why not give enough room to tackle these issues so we know who can stand for elections?

we keep debating these things and neglecting the core issue: what do these people have to offer us? what are their plans and visions?

kicking out corrupt candidates is all well and good, but not at the expense of not knowing what agendas those we will elect are pursuing.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 8:58pm On Feb 16, 2007
MALLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMM NUUUUUHHHHUUU RIIIIBBBBAAAAAADDDDDUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

My Idol, when he brought Nwude to book. He was not OBJ's tool. When he brought down Tafa Balogun he was not. Now he has gone for the biggest thieves the politicians they are crying foul. They ai'nt seen nothing yet. I am so convinced EFCC under Yaradua or Buhari will even be more vigorous. This is day break yet.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 9:01pm On Feb 16, 2007
debosky ? It been a long journey for Nigeria, corruptions has been around us for too long.

If it takes an election to rid our country of fraudulent leaders then it is good. You gotta start somewhere.

The timing was not dictated by Ribadu but by the people who are exercising their right by reporting cases against the politicians. Why did they chose this last minute to report to EFCC is a secret they share with no one than their God.

You're right McKren, EFCC under Yaradua or Buhari will even be more vigorous. EFCC may investigate even us who are abroad and shoe sellers in Ikeja.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 9:06pm On Feb 16, 2007
I have no problem with that shutmouth, my grouse is that with all this noise, we can't evaluate candidates based on what they offer

simply being 'uncorrupt' isn't sufficient to rule a nation. We need this settled quickly so we can truly sort the wheat from the chaff!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 9:14pm On Feb 16, 2007
Not even VODOO can stop Ribadu, EFCC is here to stay!

Totally rubbish!

Infact, I was one of the first people to jump on the bandwagon of EFCC. I used to love this organization.

Ribadu was my man; I truly admired him in every way. I could remember calling him an incredible Nigerian.

But lately, I've had a change of heart.

In my eyes, EFCC is part of the problem in Nigeria and it will remain so till the end of May 2007.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 9:16pm On Feb 16, 2007
Politicians have given Nigerians no chance to evaluate them, if they have all these past years been carring out illegal activities.

If their servant or driver saw them loading boxes of cash in 1999 and decides to inform EFCC in 2007, what evaluations does the electorate need again. The guy has simply proven he is a thief and must be disqualified.

That is the issue at stake. Every Nigerian, not just the politicians must learn to keep their secret secret. Your neighbor, friends or family could leak your secret to EFCC at anytime.

With EFCC, the hidding game is over in Nigeria. Very soon you will have CCTV cameras poking through the street to your houses like in London.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by debosky(m): 9:18pm On Feb 16, 2007
pray tell what do Nigerians know about the plans Yar'Adua, Buhari, Bafarawa, Utomi and co have for Nigeria?

what are the detailed plans and agendas? I'm no longer talking strictly corruption here. If you are not corrupt, but are a bad manager it is still of

no use to Nigerians!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 9:20pm On Feb 16, 2007
Something tells me that EFCC is as dirty as OBJ.

Time will tell, the truth will be out soon.

What goes up also comes down.

Let's wait and see.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 9:25pm On Feb 16, 2007
Be clean guys and you will have nothing to fear. We in Europe are used to the FBI, CIA, Interpol and all forms of secret police. Not to mention the countless CCTV cameras, phone tapping, fax scanning and recently sms/email tapping.

It's not bad, as long as they don't tramp on peoples privacy too much.

It just seems hot because Ribadu needs to move fast to avoid corrupt people taking over the helms of the country and Nigerians are caught unaware by these events.

He is a smart guy!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 9:47pm On Feb 16, 2007
I will reactivate my EFCC membership as long as OBJ is no longer the president of Nigeria.

I refuse to follow like most Nigerians; especially when it is too obvious that things are not being done accordingly.

Rabidu is a fine man, EFCC is a great organization, but things could be done differently and better. If we continue to dance to this fake music like the rest, EFCC will never improve or make adjustment to their procedure and one man show protocol.

The same thing happened to Idiagbo's war against indiscipline; there were many things that weren't done accordingly,  there were many empty-headed dead heads making the same type of noise; and what was the end result? ZERO

It is crazy and sicken how dead heads follow one another in Nigerian society.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 9:55pm On Feb 16, 2007
Big B1, please, reactivate your EFCC membership and think less about OBJ. He is out - a forgone history.

The more you guys are focused on the non-indicted politicians, the more you will be at peace with yourselves and come to terms with the new realities.

A change has come to Nigeria the way you have never seen before. Brethens, it's a positive change every Nigerian MUST embrace for the sake of our future generations.

We in Europe have seen the system work and that is why every Nigerian abroad will support the war against corruption. Romania and Bulgaria adopted the same system and today they are proud to be part of the EU Club.

Like in Europe, one day Nigeria will have Job Centers, Social Services and Pension Schemes. Foreign Investments and Tourism will flourish and Unemployment will be a thing of the past and Nigerians abroad will feel safe to return with their wealth, skills and expertise to contribute to the development of their father land.

This is the aim of Ribadu and we must all support his efforts.  I am doing my bit via this Forum!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 9:57pm On Feb 16, 2007
@BigB1

if you tell us what EFCC did that caught your fancy and what latter made you to change your mind we will understand your point better.

(1) (2) (Reply)

South-East’s Industries: Any Ray Of Hope? / Efcc Arrests Adenuga, Otedola, Dantata And Others For Fuel Subsidy Fraud / Why Nigeria Is A Poor Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.