Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,649 members, 7,809,453 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:53 AM

Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited (2149 Views)

Disqualification: APC & Buhari Reject Court's Orders Of Service / Buhari's Disqualification: Court Orders Service Of Documents On Buhari, INEC / Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 10:10pm On Feb 16, 2007
@Mckren:

No need to go there, I mean, you don't have to be a pilot to figure things out in Nigeria. Things are not being done accordingly, between OBJ and EFCC, period.

I love my country and I want nothing but the best for this great nation; but can we say OBJ or EFCC represents the best?
Definitely NO!

An organization like EFCC should crave for nothing, but perfection and credibility.

I don't see any of these things and will not see them till the end of May 2007.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 10:18pm On Feb 16, 2007
@Mckren:

I think I know what you're thinking.

You think I despise EFCC because I'm being affected directly by their illegal action.

Guess what?
You're totally wrong, my friend.
That is not the case.

I'm just another decent Nigerian trying to survive and trying to make it happen to the best of my ability.

I do not support some of their operation only because I want things to be done correctly for a change in My lovely country, Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 1:10am On Feb 17, 2007
JTB defends INEC’s demand for candidates’ tax clearance certificates

"MORE hurdles were yesterday placed on the paths of candidates already screened by the Independent National electoral Commission (INEC) for the April general elections. The Joint Tax Board (JTB) insisted that it would, in addition to having their tax clearance certificates (TCC) already filed with INEC vetted, also confirm with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) if the correct taxes were paid as claimed by the candidates in the first instance".

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article05
http://www.champion-newspapers.com/news/article_8_160207.htm
http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/cover/february07/169022007/f316022007.html

The focus is about to shift from OBJ and EFCC to the Tax Board and I hope voters will know those politicans that have faked tax clearances.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 9:46am On Feb 17, 2007
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) had a sharp disagreement last week over how to treat the list of political office seekers indicted for alleged corruption by the EFCC.

Sources told Saturday Tribune that while the EFCC wanted INEC to accept the list as a basis for the disqualification of the candidates, the electoral commission disagreed.

INEC, sources said, argued that the EFCC could not disqualify any candidate since the constitution did not give it such powers.

It was gathered that shortly after the EFCC completed the compilation of the list, the Chairman of the commission, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu, took it his counterpart in INEC, Prof. Maurice Iwu, asking him to use it as the basis for the disqualification of those indicted.

Iwu, top sources in INEC and EFCC said, insisted on February 8, when he met Ribadu that the process was wrong and thus requested for a meeting of the principal officers of both agencies.

This resulted in a 12-hour meeting between Iwu, Ribadu and senior members of staff of the two agencies.

At the meeting, which was attended by top officers of the two agencies, Iwu reportedly said that the EFCC does not possess the powers to disqualify the 135 political office seekers on its own.

Among those on the list, some of who were eventually axed by the Administrative Panel set up by the Federal Government, were the Vice-President, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar; the Lagos State Governor, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu; the Abia State Governor, Chief Orji Kalu; his Kano State counterpart, Mallam Ibrahim Shekarau; the Borno State Governor, Alhaji Ali Modu Sherrif; and Chief Lanre Tejuoso, seeking the Ogun Central Senatorial ticket on the platform of the All Nigeria Peoples Party.

Sources hinted Saturday Tribune that based on the legal advice by the INEC’s National Commissioner, Legal, Mallam Mohammed Abubakar, Iwu told Ribadu that based on Section 137 (i) of the 1999 constitution, only “a Judicial Commission of Inquiry or an Administrative Panel of Inquiry or a Tribunal set up under the Tribunals of Inquiry Act, a Tribunals of Inquiry Law or any other law by the Federal or State Government” could indict and disqualify a candidate indicted for embezzlement or fraud, with only the courts constitutionally empowered to vacate such order.

Iwu was said to have explained that it was based on this reason that the commission was awaiting the pronouncement of the courts before taking a position on Abubakar, the presidential candidate of the Action Congress, who was indicted by an Administrative Panel over the handling of the funds of the Petroleum Technology Development Fund.

Sources said that some INEC commissioners at the meeting were particularly miffed at the inclusion of Tejuoso’s name, arguing that since he had never held any public office, he could not have been indicted for corruption.

According to some of those at the meeting, a further argument was put forward that even if Tejuoso was a contractor, except where he did not execute such contracts, he could not be held liable for his billing even if above the rate.

The source added, “The EFCC was told point blank that since Tejuoso was going to face the daughter of President Olusegun Obasanjo, Iyabo, at the poll, the meaning that would be read into it is that he is being punished for daring to stand for the election when he knew who his opponent would be.”

After close to 12 hours of argument, it was agreed that the report should be passed to the Presidency for appropriate action.

Ribadu reportedly agreed to this, making the report available to Obasanjo later that night.

It was based on the report that the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Chief Ufot Ekaette, set up an Administrative Panel to probe those on the list.

Though most of them, especially the governors refused to appear before the panel, a white paper committee headed by Dr. Oby Ezekwesili approved the recommendation of the Administrative Panel to ban some of the political office seekers.

Head, Media, of the EFCC, Mr. Osita Nwajah, could not be reached on Thursday for comments on the development.

Nwajah’s mobile phone was not picked when Saturday Tribune called him.

INEC officials who could speak on the issue were said to be attending the commission’s seminar held on Thursday and Friday in Abuja.

THIS IS WHAT THE BRAZILLIANS CALL SAMBA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by chidichris(m): 9:56am On Feb 17, 2007
it is obvious here that the major reasons for the the so called disqualification is far from what they are telling us.
this is deciet.
obj has no such constitutional right.
veto is only applicabale when there is no agreement between two factions in the house over a particular issue hence the need for the presidential veto power.
a honest list of corrupt politicians must(MUST) have if no other person, ANDY UBA who has an established and confirmed case of money laundary in the usa which involves the use of the presidential jet is smuggling money out of nigeria a more implicating case than that of alamasiya.
constitutionally, if you have not been a public office holder before, you can not be indicted but thus was the case of tejuoso who is surposed to be the oponent of OBJ's daughter in the april poll.
who is blind here? three senior commissioners of inec have been arrested for alleged fraud but the truth is that they have refused to disqualify the candidates presented by obj's list hence they are corrupt.
if i may ask, who is more corrupt in nigeria than Adedibu or who has committed more crimes than him?
indictment has a process of which the president cannot just conculde everything within 5 days.
peter odili was going to face the same music if he did not surrender for yar adua.
if we want to fight corruption, Adedibu and Chris uba are not worthy of freedom.
Bode George and Tony Annenih are not good to be in the rulling cadar.
why is efcc and obj himself given deaf ears to all the allegations of Atiku against obj himslef or are we all saying he is drunk or mad?
all the pdp candidates were hand picked and it is expected that they will be imposed on the populace.
if one wants to face the realities on ground, has pdp done so well that they deserve aso rock in the next tenure?
the choosen yar adua as a governor did not do better than others but in him obj find safety though anything can happen but indictment and disqualifications are mostly for oposition parties and the anti third term pdp members.
let obj start with his friends who have succeeded in messing our roads, npa and aviation ministries.
in a dispensation that is fighting against corruption, there will never be an Andy Uba for governor, chris uba or board of trustees, Tony annenih for board, Bode George for Board, Adedibu for board
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 10:15am On Feb 17, 2007
The same old story.
That a certain Mr.A is corrupt does not make a corrupt Mr.B innocent. That defence is unacceptable anywhere in the world except in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by donnymikky(m): 10:32am On Feb 17, 2007
It's shocking that even the number two man in Nigeria does not know the position of the Nigerian Constituion as far as elections are concerned. There is no need to drag this issue because the constitution has stated it very clearly that Turaki can contest only if the outcome of the cases in court is favourable to him. The election date has been fixed and the constituion has not mandated INEC to stay put till the outcome of the cases in court. Turaki is not bigger than Nigeria and so the constitution can not be changed because of him. Afterall when Baba was begging the LEGISLATHIEVES for ammendment of some sections of the constitution, this same Atiku and co. moved against it and they had their way. This is a clear case of "what goes round, comes round".
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by donnymikky(m): 10:40am On Feb 17, 2007
The same old story.
That a certain Mr.A is corrupt does not make a corrupt Mr.B innocent. That defence is unacceptable anywhere in the world except in Nigeria.

Tell them o!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 1:03pm On Feb 17, 2007
STOP WEEPING, IT'S THE END OF THE ROAD for the disqualified candidates.

grin Victory for Nigerian electorates. They now have an opportunity to elect clean candidates who will serve them rather than their pockets.

If you don't accept it, TOUGH.

Case Closed!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 6:17pm On Feb 17, 2007
And Mr. man, who are these clean candidates?

Wake up, brother; even the judge, all the SAN and so on are dirty as a farm pig.

So, what are you guys talking about?

The ruling is fine, but let us do it the right way; all of them are dirty, hence they should all be disqualified.

The case is not closed till the judgment is distributed accordingly.

It is unacceptable to use the Nigerian constitution to accomplish personal agenda; and that is what is going on here, my friends.

Just close your eyes for a minute; what do you think will happen to OBJ and his people if Atiku happens to be the next Nigerian president?
The answer is Ineffable
And this is why this fight is the biggest fight for OBJ; he has no choice, but to win.

And this is also why our constitution is being used as a fighting gear.

How come Mr. president and his people did not implement this policy or law during the 1999 election?

What is good for PETER is also perfect for PAUL.

We must stop following or embracing stupidity and start to do things the right way in Nigeria for a change; or else there will never be a permanent improvement.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 6:35pm On Feb 17, 2007
All the Atiku fans in the house should TAKE HEART.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 6:41pm On Feb 17, 2007
Big B1 (m)

IBB?

Got ya!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 7:04pm On Feb 17, 2007
Ok!

Sorry, I don't get it.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 7:08pm On Feb 17, 2007
I'm not Atiku's fan; infact, I do not know too much about the man. And I hate to speak on things that aren't clear to me.

Believe me, my concern is not Atiku.

My concern is how people play freely with our constitution and how Nigeria as a nation continues to be a joke in-front of the world.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 8:30pm On Feb 17, 2007
IBB, em sorry Big B1 (m)

Look, you are a man of double sword here, sometimes you support the crusade against corruption, sometime you sound like you are one of the disqualified politicians.

Tell us, where do you stand or are you IBB?
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by Mariory(m): 8:44pm On Feb 17, 2007
McKren:
if you tell us what EFCC did that caught your fancy and what latter made you to change your mind we will understand your point better.

I believe it happened after the EFCC started bitch-slapping IBB.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 8:51pm On Feb 17, 2007
@MARIORY:

lol.

You're too much and you will not kill me. That's very funny.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 8:53pm On Feb 17, 2007
@shutmouth:

Look, I've posted my reason for supporting IBB several times.

Believe me, you shouldn't judge a man you do not know.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 9:15pm On Feb 17, 2007
@shutmouth:

FYI:
Big b1 is a fine Nigerian who craves for nothing but better Nigeria.

A simple individual who uses his mind and soul effectively

A sweet heart who is sometimes presumptuous, but at the same time very loving and very respectful.

A man who is determined and totally committed to fighting for the underdogs and underprivileged.

Finally, a spiritual body who understands that there is only one and only king.

I hope your question is answered, my friend.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by BigB11(m): 9:27pm On Feb 17, 2007
@Shutmouth

FYI:
My reason and my side:

Please do not get it twisted folks, my support for IBB remains incompressible.

The man is smart, well respected by many, has incredible style, he's focused, has the capability to chain things down effectively and efficiently in Nigeria, has the stamina to put stop into corruption among all government officials and the man is mercifully craving for a successful system in Nigeria.

Believe me, he recognizes his mistakes and he also deserves to be given a chance to redeem himself.

Believe me, currently things are very very fragile in Nigeria and if we are not careful, Nigeria will be turned into Iraq or Somali very soon; and guess who will suffer?

We must look forward to move forward; it's time to let go the past and allow the most competent and respected individual to rectify things in Nigeria.

You can go ahead and criticize me if you want, it is very easy for you to hide in another country and speak fire, but you do not know what I know.

Yaradua, Jonathan, Buhari, Atiku, Kalu and even OBJ are alright, but at this point in time in Nigeria they can not and will not move our country forward effectively, efficiently and unitedly.
It is very important to understand what these 3 terms (effectively, efficiently and unitedly) stand for, I use them a-lot. It takes a genius to know and understand what is needed to accomplished all 3 points.
I can assure you that IBB will knock out all 3 within the first 8 months in power.

Regardless of who happens to be the next Nigerian president (If it's not IBB), IBB will never be touched negatively by anyone and he will be involved heavily in contributing toward making Nigeria the Giant of Africa once again.

May God bless Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 9:31pm On Feb 17, 2007
Sounds Good. You are welcome!

Join us in spreading the good words to encourage our young ones who are very upset and angry about the economical and political situation in their country.

They need not just our words of encouragement and support but good examples. If our corrupt politician (OBJ/Atiku etc) can't be their role model, we can direct them to where they can get hope and inspirations. (EFCC/Ribadu).

I am sure, you mean well in your articles but you simply get carried away by the different opinions. Make up your mind and follow your conscience.

I sincerely trust in your judgment

Sorry, if I may ask, you haven't denied any relationship with IBB
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by mazaje(m): 11:28pm On Feb 17, 2007
Afterall when Baba was begging the LEGISLATHIEVES for ammendment of some sections of the constitution   
baba wanted the legislathieves to extend his tenure but living upto their names they disappointed him.

They now have an opportunity to elect clean candidates who will serve them rather than their pockets.

who are the clean candidates? is it Aloa Akala that was reportedly condemmed by the EFCC boss as a criminal or is it Andy Uba that is already the appointed governor of Anambara state? is it Nasiru Mantu the corrupt deputy senate president?what about Jonathan Zwingina that was exposed by the FCT minister over bribery allegation before he will be endorsed as minister. who are does that are not corrupt? is it  the corrupt OBJ's daughter with the help of gov Gbega Daniel that stole so much money form Ogun state and almost had some one killed because she feels he is very formidable and might win election if she allows him to contest or is it Goodluck jonathan who's wife was involved in a million dollar scandal with the EFCC shortly after becoming the first lady of bayelsa state.is it the hand picked members of  the people destroy people's party that are going to be imposed on the people that are not corrupt despite being selected in a very corrupt and questionable manner? i know you are laughing at your self for making that statement because you know that its a big joke.

how can you say people have an opportunity to elect clean candidates who will serve them rather than their pockets when the (thief) Bode George is the campaing director of the presidential candidate of the PDP shocked shocked shocked shocked. how can you be fighting corruption when tony anhnih is on the presidentail campaing train? my people lets open our eyes to double standard our roads would have been better if tony anehih had used the over 300billion given to him on them he didnt and he is a free man and we are accepting what the PDP is doing, its pure stupidity and it doesnt make any sense. did chris ngige or the guy contesting against OBJ's daughter have acces to that kind of money? why are their names on the list?double standard is what is killing us in this country.

The same old story.
That a certain Mr A is corrupt does not make a corrupt Mr.B innocent. That defence is unacceptable anywhere in the world except in Nigeria 

as far as Mr A is corrupt and Mr B is guilty then we will never move forward, ok agreed all the enemies of OBJ are out of the way will that end the corruption in nigeria when OBJ's friends are on rampage stealing and killing without anybody doing anything to them? NO it will only make the friends of OBJ steal more, they will now steal what the others were supposed to have stolen so its going to be the same merry go round. how many people have lost their lives because of Adedibu and chris Uba? why were they not prosecuted for causing chaos and destruction?OBJ's disqualification of these candidates is not in the interest of the nation but for personal gains and we will never accept it. Atiku and others are theives but Alao Akala,Gbenga Daniel and Nasiru Mantu are theives too so who is wrong and who is right here until we all rise and say no to all these double standard we will NEVER move forward we will take a STEP FORWARD AND TEN STEPS BACKWARDS. i rest my case
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 5:56pm On Feb 19, 2007
[size=14pt]Feb. 20 is D-DAY[/size]
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by McKren(m): 9:06pm On Feb 19, 2007
Shutmouth, e be like say the guy don cut out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 9:55pm On Feb 19, 2007
Power to the People, my brother

No be joke bro, i don tire for dis people, wetin self!!!
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by mazaje(m): 10:06pm On Feb 19, 2007
Gbenga Obasanjo(shutmouth) is that you?
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 10:45pm On Feb 19, 2007
You must be joking!!!

Gbenga Obasanjo or his father. (LET THEM ROT IN HELL)
Re: Nigerian Constitution - Disqualification Revisited by shutmouth(m): 7:17pm On Feb 22, 2007
I came to Nairaland to nail Atiku.

Mission Accomplished!!!

It's time to say "AU REVOUR".

Got other important work to accomplish.

Buh Bye, See Ya!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Only Way To Solve Youth Restiveness In Niger-delta / Fashola Moves Against Landlords / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-iweala: Home Gal Setting The World Economic Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.