Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,722 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:06 PM

Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power (13041 Views)

Southern Nigerian Governors Call For Devolution Of Powers / House Of Reps Approves Devolution Of Powers To States / Senate Rejects Devolution Of Powers To States (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:42am On Sep 26, 2017
North rejects more states

New revenue formula wanted

Advocates of more power for states seem to be winning their age-long battle.

Their position is being vindicated at the various consultations on restructuring organised by the All Progressives Congress (APC).

In the North, which an elderstateman yesterday said was not afraid of restructuring, some states supported the devolution of power, a rework of the revenue allocation formula and a united Nigeria.

It was all at the APC’s restructuring consultation in North West (Sokoto), North Central (Ilorin) and North East (Bauchi).

Kwara, Kogi and Niger states were in Ilorin. Bauchi, Gombe and Yobe had their session in Bauchi.

Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara states met in Sokoto for the consultation on Nigerians’ position on restructuring, which many believe is the antidote to the dismemberment of Nigeria.

The common position in all the centres is that there should be devolution of power from the Federal Governemt to states.

The consultation being coordinated by a committee headed by Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai, started on September 18. It will end on October 9.

The governments of Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara advocated that some aspects of health, transport, fire service, among others, should be devolved to the states with resources attached. The Federal Government should focus on defence, foreign affairs, security and currency—a position canvassed by many eminent citizens, including frontline politician Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The three Northwest states are controlled by the APC. Governors Aminu Tambuwal (Sokoto) and Atiku Bagudu (Kebbi) attended the session. Zamfara State was represented by Deputy Governor Ibrahim Wakala.

Also yesterday, elder statesman Alhaji Tanko Yakassai, an adviser to Second Republic President Shehu Shagari, said on a television programme that the north is not opposed to restructuring.

Sokoto’s position, presented by former Deputy Governor Chiso Abdullahi, rejected the creation of new states, because many states are not viable.

He said the presidential system should be preserved with fiscal federalism while power rotation and zoning should be maintained to foster national unity.

He also advocated a unicameral legislature with advisory role given to traditional rulers.

To Sokoto State, the revenue allocation formula should be adjusted to give the Federal Government 43 per cent, states 35 per cent and local governments 23 per cent.

Kebbi State equally rejected creation of new states and bicameral legislature. It suggested that zoning should be on the basis of North and South.

Kebbi’s proposal on revenue sharing is Federal Government 40 per cent, states 40 per cent and local government areas 20 per cent. It is in support of devolution of power to states.

Zamfara State also suggested that the status quo should be maintained on state creation, derivation, devolution of powers, presidential system of government and land tenure system.

The chairman of the APC Restructuring Committee for North-west, Plateau State Governor Simon Lalong, said all the views collated would be taken back to the APC national headquarters.

“At the end of the exercise, all the views collated will be analysed and this will form the opinion of the APC and the Federal Government,” he said.

Zamfara State said it was solidly for Nigeria’s unity.

Speaking on Chanels Television, Yakasai said: ”I have never known any known northerner who is opposed to restructuring. But what we want to know is what are the details? We are tired of going into something blindly only to turn out in regrets.

”I have been asking the promoters of the idea of restructuring to explain what the blueprint is What will Nigeria look like after restructuring? What we have been asking for is a blueprint for restructuring.

Yakasai, who backed the call for Nigeria to return to the 1963 constitution, added that the country must maintain the four regions adopted by that same constitution in 1963.

”Now some people have started to speak out. Emeka Anyaoku said we should go back to 1963 constitution where we had four regions- North, West, East and Midwest. Then there was a gathering of some Afenifere leaders in Ibadan and they said we should go back to the 1963 constitution but they created six regions.

”In 1963, we didn’t have six regions. We either eat our cake or have it. If we want to go back to 1963 situation, then we go back to four regions.

”If we want to create more then we use the provisions of 1963 constitution to create more (states), whatever number we want to create,” he said.

Answering a question on resource control, the elder statesman said: “I can tell you that whoever is having this kind of thinking is a short sighted person.”

He condemned those calling for the creation of more states, adding that they were doing so not to develop the poor but to win elections or get elective positions.

”There are so many states and each one is consuming 70 per cent of its revenue on bureaucracy. How can you develop on that? All countries in the world are not spending 70 per cent of their revenues on bureaucracy.

”All the 19 states plus Abuja (in the North) spend 70 per cent of their revenue on bureaucracy – salary, allowances and so on – not on development. They did not develop agriculture. They did not develop even power to provide for industries.”

But the Chairman, Political Committee, Afenifere, Prof. Banji Akintoye, urged the Federal Government to create structures to address calls for restructuring.

He accused the APC nine-member committee on restructuring headed by Governor El-Rufai of embarking on delay tactics to dampen the debate on restructuring.

Akintoye said: “If the Federal Government is committed to seeing the will of the people done, the thing to do is to create some sort of structure for sorting out this whole question of restructuring. That is how to do it. There is no other way.

”It is difficult to believe that you put a person like the young governor of Kaduna State, El-Rufai at the head of an arrangement like that and you want us to trust that you really want the thing (restructuring) to happen. No, there are other leaders of the party. Former vice president is a member of the party. Bola Tinubu is a national leader of the party. Those people would have been more credible in that type of situation.

“When you go and put a man who is avowedly opposed to restructuring to come and head a party’s committee that will collect information about restructuring, there is doubt about what they are really after. Even though I hope they will come out with something good for the country I doubt that they would.”

Bauchi, Borno,Gombe, Yobe, backed calls for restructuring at the Bauchi centre of the consultation.

Bauchi State Governor Mohammed Abubakar expressed strong belief in one and united Nigeria.

Represented by Deouty Goveror Nuhu Gidado, the governor submitted that the youth should be given priority in a restructured Nigeria with true federalism.

Yobe State Governor Ibrahim Gaidam was represented by the Permanent Secretary, Special Services, Government House, Damaturu, Lawal Usman Hassan

In its memorandum the Bauchi State chapter of the Nigerian Labour Congress submitted that the organized labour was not in support of any move towards the creation of additional states in view of the present Nigeria economic realities.

Gital also said the local government councils in the country should be granted autonomy should in order to facilitate and fast track development.

According to him, the organised labour is strongly of the view that Nigeria should continue with the current presidential system of government, which he said encourages democracy, guarantee political stability, independence of the President, proper use of talent and there is check and balance.

http://thenationonlineng.net/restructuring-states-step-push-powers/

Lalasticlala, Mynd44
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by hatchy(f): 6:47am On Sep 26, 2017
If the government is sincere in the pursuit of this "restructuring" project there are capable men and women with integrity to head such committee. You don't ask a goat to watch over a barn full of yam and expect the yam the same.

El Rufai is a known anti restructuring and Northern bigot.He can never discharge his duties as chairman of that committee without bias.Also there is no way the political class will favour regional set up because it will erase the power and privilege they currently enjoy. For example, a sitting governor will do everything within his power to scuttle the issue of going back to the regional government.

It's all rhetorics and nothing more,after circling round we will still go back to where we are. That is the politics the elites and ruling class are using against us because the present arrangements favours them.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Nobody: 7:15am On Sep 26, 2017
They should be very careful before they are proscribed terrorist!
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Redoil: 7:25am On Sep 26, 2017
Only in word and not in deed
If you are against restructuring of nigeria for it will benefit nobody due to it bogus meaning click like
If you are in support of restructuring for it will benefit everybody click share

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by 7lives: 7:34am On Sep 26, 2017
Redoil:
Only in word and not in deed
If you are against restructuring of nigeria for it benefit nobody click like
If you are in support of restructuring for it will benefit everybody click share

Let us restructure the country, THOSE WHO asked for it don't even KNOW what they are asking for.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by otosa(m): 7:55am On Sep 26, 2017
To Sokoto State, the revenue allocation formula should be adjusted to give the Federal Government 43 per cent, states 35 per cent and local governments 23 per cent.

Kebbi State equally rejected creation of new states and bicameral legislature. It suggested that zoning should be on the basis of North and South.

Kebbi’s proposal on revenue sharing is Federal Government 40 per cent, states 40 per cent and local government areas 20 per cent. It is in support of devolution of power to states.
. Please I need somebody to tell me the kind of revenue they are talking about, hope is not oil money from another region they talking about. This time around every state/region most contribute for national development not to depend from other region resources.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by juman(m): 7:58am On Sep 26, 2017
The only restructuring that most needed is the one that will make easy for those quality hands to lead the country.

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by juman(m): 7:58am On Sep 26, 2017
One Nigeria is a failure.

7 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Bede2u(m): 8:13am On Sep 26, 2017
I think the devolution of power to the current 36 states would be a wrong move. The 36 states are majorly unviable (except Lagos). I suggest that the 6 geopolitical zones be recognised as states while the current 36 states becomes Local Govts (scrap the 774 LGAs). I believe the zones will be better positioned to handle the new responsibilities that would come. Also the new states should own resources found within their lands and pay 30% to FG while FG should own all offshore resourses (including fishes).

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by DaudaAbu(m): 8:32am On Sep 26, 2017
Good development

Restructure ti take over
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Financialfree: 8:38am On Sep 26, 2017
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by magoo10(m): 8:39am On Sep 26, 2017
APC who made restructuring part of their campaign promises now find it difficult to redeem their promise to the masses who voted them in even when it is clear that the status quo cannot continue.

What a Roguish government

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by CHANNELStv2020: 8:40am On Sep 26, 2017
ANY RESTRUCTURING THE NORTH AGREES TO WILL BE THE ONE THAT FAVOURS THEM QUOTE ME ANY DAY AND TIME,THIER LOVE FOR OIL KNOWNS NO BOUND,THEY RATHER DIE THAN LET GO.

5 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Nobody: 8:42am On Sep 26, 2017
election gimmick

1 Like

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Rawani: 8:42am On Sep 26, 2017
"Kebbi State equally rejected creation of new states and bicameral legislature. It suggested that zoning should be on the basis of North and South."

grin

When playing politics with the North, bring a pen and jotter to take notes.

#Nuffsaid

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by LionDeLeo: 8:43am On Sep 26, 2017
If restructuring is about each state contributing what it generates, we shall see who the actual parasites are.

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by YelloweWest: 8:43am On Sep 26, 2017
Parasite states should get up their lazyass.

Nigeria must be restructured.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by judecares1(m): 8:43am On Sep 26, 2017
the northerns who believed in divine theory want to support dissolution of power? chai there is God oooooooooo
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by YelloweWest: 8:45am On Sep 26, 2017
LionDeLeo:
If restructuring is about each state contributing what it generates, we shall see who the actual parasites are.
The parasites states are mostly northern and se
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by asawanathegreat(m): 8:46am On Sep 26, 2017
Let's try first if it will favour us, no harm in trying
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by LionDeLeo: 8:47am On Sep 26, 2017
YelloweWest:

The parasites states are mostly northern and se

No wahala, we shall see.

Shebi dem say na north be the parasite.

I know of a whole region whose IGR favourably competes with what Davido has in his account.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by YelloweWest: 8:49am On Sep 26, 2017
Bede2u:
I think the devolution of power to the current 36 states would be a wrong move. The 36 states are majorly unviable (except Lagos). I suggest that the 6 geopolitical zones be recognised as states while the current 36 states becomes Local Govts (scrap the 774 LGAs). I believe the zones will be better positioned to handle the new responsibilities that would come. Also the new states should own resources found within their lands and pay 30% to FG while FG should own all offshore resourses (including fishes).
FG should own offshore. Ie where the oil comes from..
We will resist any attempt for u people to come up with any un genuine restructuring.

The oil within the Niger Delta region belongs to the Niger Delta people!
Our forefathers fished in those waters long before the inception of Nigeria.

7 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Nobody: 8:50am On Sep 26, 2017
cool
Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Chukwudi4naija(m): 8:50am On Sep 26, 2017
otosa:

. Please I need somebody to tell me the kind of revenue they are talking about, hope is not oil money from another region they talking about. This time around every state/region most contribute for national development not to depend from other region resources.
I wonder ooo. We are talking about fiscal federalism, they are discussing how to share money. Pathological Beggars.

7 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by codedguy1(m): 8:50am On Sep 26, 2017
CHANNELStv2020:
ANY RESTRUCTURING THE NORTH AGREES TO WILL BE THE ONE THAT FAVOURS THEM QUOTE ME ANY DAY AND TIME,THIER LOVE FOR OIL KNOWNS NO BOUND,THEY RATHER DIE THAN LET GO.

That's the whole idea. I just Dont trust those people especially making someone like el rufai chairman for a project like this.

They are just trying to buy time before election.

3 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by Nobody: 8:52am On Sep 26, 2017
most people singing this 'restructure' have no idea what it means.

The only thing that needs to be restructured is the federal character, land use act, reducing the ruling cost, too much money is spent on government officials. the quota system and the 13 percent allocation from oil sales that goes back to the communities/state. it should be 50 percent then other things.

4 Likes

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by cascarino(m): 8:52am On Sep 26, 2017
[quote author=otosa post=60837259]To Sokoto State, the revenue allocation formula should be adjusted to give the Federal Government 43 per cent, states 35 per cent and local governments 23 per cent.

My brother I thought I was the only one that read that.
These northerners can never do without oil money. To them restructuring means changing the revenue sharing formula to give more money to States and local governments knowing fully well that it will favor them more, because they have more states and local governments. These people are more subtle than serpent!

Well to any northerner that cares to listen restructuring to an average southerner means reversing back to regional government of 1963 Constitution with every region having total control of its resources. They will only contribute say 30 percent for maintenance of federal MDAs like defense, sports, costume, and immigration. Every other MDA should be regionalized.

They should let it sink into their skulls that with restructuring the era of revenue allocation from the centre to the component governments will be over! Every region will fend for itself.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Restructuring: Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara Support Devolution Of Power by aolawale025: 8:53am On Sep 26, 2017
CHANNELStv2020:

The restructuring the north is proposing here is just a review of revenue allocation formula

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kwankwaso: I Have Supporters In Every Northern Home / Lagos Residents Tired Of Being Ruled Under One Man Says Jimi Agbaje / Police Attacks Won’t Stop Mass Exodus To Our Party, PDP Tells APC, IGP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.