Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,844 members, 7,817,493 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Nigeria's Unity; North VS South And The Need For Restructuring - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Unity; North VS South And The Need For Restructuring (444 Views)

Obasanjo: I Will Fight For Nigeria’s Unity Till I Die / Yoruba Must Fight For Restructuring, Not 2023 Presidency By Olu Fasan / It's Time For Restructuring, Yoruba Nation To Adopt Paradigm Shift - Gani Adams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria's Unity; North VS South And The Need For Restructuring by Ebiezprada(m): 11:38am On Sep 26, 2017
Almost a century before I was born, the man Lord Lugard amalgamated the Northern and Southern protectorates. For whatever purpose it was then, I cannot tell. But, I believe the different tribes and regions lived in peace and progressed according to their own pace.
As at today, I have heard politicians say "Nigeria's unity is non negotiable but I ask, is there any form of unity in Nigeria? If there is unity in Nigeria, I have come to understand that it is not out of love but because of oil. Anybody who keeps saying Nigeria's unity is non negotiable is an enemy of the people. With the way things are going, I think it is high time we renegotiated everything. People should decide what they want in a country and not the Government. Government cannot create a country, rather it is people that create Governments.
Maybe our fathers promoted unity out of good intentions or whatever reasons they had then. But, as at today, the system has failed and a round table renegotiation can go a long way in curbing many challenges especially in the south. The present day Government dominated by Northerners seem not to be interested in any form of negations or attempting to hold the country together in one piece.
Today, the North is the real Nigeria while the South is just "others". It is so because it is the North that decides almost everything in Nigeria. Nigeria cannot be restructured because the North is yet to accept restructuring. Oil contributes to more than 85 percent of the present day Nigeria income, which is found mainly in the south, the income generated from oil sales is shared indiscriminately and most Southerners do not have issues with that. With the way the system is today, there is a high level of imbalance and injustice.
If the current system cannot be restructured, then people should be allowed to go their separate ways. People should be in charge of their resources. When people make demands, they have a right to be listened to by the Government in charge and if their demands are not feasible, a negotiation can take place and an agreement can be reached. It is very wrong to unleash the military on a people for making demands. Like Rev. Father Felix Uche Akam rightly wrote, Biafra agitation resurfaced after the war ended 50 years ago because Army can never bring peace; only justice does. Also, the Yorubas have spearheaded the campaign for restructuring, I hope a military operation isn't unleashed on them as well.
If we have to wait for the North to accept restructuring before the country can be restructured then there's a high level of imbalance. The country is not united since we're in a situation where critical decisions are for the North alone to make.
Re: Nigeria's Unity; North VS South And The Need For Restructuring by Desyner: 12:09pm On Sep 26, 2017
Good point. Let me add to it.
Restructuring will not come without resistance, the elite - Obas, Emirs, Igwes, Ezes, Top public office holders, civil workforce and every rent-seeker who is benefiting from the current structure will violently resist it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity; North VS South And The Need For Restructuring by Ebiezprada(m): 1:05pm On Sep 26, 2017
Desyner:
Good point. Let me add to it.
Restructuring will not come without resistance, the elite - Obas, Emirs, Igwes, Ezes, Top public office holders, civil workforce and every rent-seeker who is benefiting from the current structure will violently resist it.
You are right! That's why those who clamour for restructuring have to do so with more energy.

(1) (Reply)

A Nairaland Business Campaign / Catalan Referendum: Catalonia Has Won Right To Statehood / Sowore's Blackmailing Organization And Rape Allegations [MUST READ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.