Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! (8089 Views)

Honorable Minister Of Aviation On Hardtalk / Oby Ezekwesili On HARDTALK On BBC Live / Sanusi On Hardtalk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by adconline(m): 9:10pm On Feb 18, 2007
Iam not in support of the fact that Kalu could not speak proper English. He went on international media platform whose medium of communication is nothing but English. Nobody forced him into that interview.
Remember this Fella, attended a university in Nigeria as stated in his CV. If he could not express himself in English, tell me the difference between him and a roadside mechanic who did not go to college.
We Naija seem to have low benchmarks for our leaders . Leadership is not by force, so he does not attract my smpathy for disgracing Nigerians.

He even went to Harvard Business School, yet we are holding brief for him.

http://www.orjikalu.com/biography.php
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 9:16pm On Feb 18, 2007
I don't care about the interview. I just don't understand why people are questioning the guy's source of wealth, he was already rich way before he got into politics. Most folks here think he was trying to make ends meet before he got into politics, Kalu is Old Money.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by alabiyemmy(m): 9:28pm On Feb 18, 2007
@Donzman

Noone is disputing his wealth before he got to government. The point is this - he is not articulate about his plan for the nation if he becomes the President - hence he is not competent to get there.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 9:30pm On Feb 18, 2007
Maybe you should read all the replies, every one of them seemed to harp on his wealth. He might be corrupt (so is every single politician in the nation in which case we should not be voting for a president) but he was probably richer than everyone of us here before he became governor.

Then we have those playing on his Igbotic Ego, what does that mean?
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by adconline(m): 9:32pm On Feb 18, 2007
kalu might have been rich b4 got into office, but he consolidated his wealth through corrupt practices by looting Abia state treasury.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by adconline(m): 9:35pm On Feb 18, 2007
As per tribalizing this topic, this is the problem with Naija where a tribe is always portrayed as the source of our problems.  Get back to the topic ok. I know for  sure that he was richer than OBJ and most governors, but that does not give him the right to mess with public fund,  which is like Mayor Bloomberg of New York messing with public funds because he is a billionaire
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Eurphoria(f): 9:44pm On Feb 18, 2007
Then we have those playing on his Igbotic Ego, what does that mean?

@Donzman
what is this suppose to mean? why and what is IGBOTIC got to do with this? i thought u said u never use tribe in your debates, or play politics with tribes? so what is this? mrfullofshitlyingmuthafukinhypocriticalwasteoftime.

next time you want to preach to other ppl on NL make sure you are clean and you don't do wat u accuse others of doing. you are quick to point ur wretched finger at others yet soon as our backs are turned u come out with dumb shit.

Alabiyemi is the only one making sense here, dint know why he is wasting his time talking to you, especially as you are so plain to see thru. you try so hard to come across as smart, when u not, you exhibiting your inferiority complex here arguing blindly. I have always said you are mrinconsistent. don't bother replying i am done with you, i wont keep my mouth shut anymore when i see you being a hypocrite here.

yes stop tribalizing things and get on to the topic

i am done with you by the way
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 18, 2007
What are you talking about?. . .Maybe you might want to refer to posts by Naijacutee and et al. who keep mentioning his Igbotic, Igbotic ego. . .I'm just wondering what that meant so what you're talking about, I do not know.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by LoverBwoy(m): 9:54pm On Feb 18, 2007
I just don't understand why people are questioning the guy's source of wealth

what's wrong with questioning his source of wealth? saying he was already rich before he got into power is not really conclusive is it?
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 9:57pm On Feb 18, 2007
Listen, people are acting like he was poor or just average before he became governor. He was already rich before then so accusing him of not knowing what his source of wealth is sounds ridiculous.

Every businessman I know enter in Nigeria fall into this wahala, most times they do so many things, they just say I'm in business. This does not mean they do not know what they're doing, they're just not into explaining it to everybody.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by McKren(m): 10:01pm On Feb 18, 2007
@Donzman

Please stop boring people with this talk of Orji being rich before he got into politics. He is not anymore smarter or hardworking than the average Nigerian. He only inherited stolen wealth from his mother. His mother had strong ties with succesive military governments in this country so whats the fuss about him being wealthy before politics about.

Its like Muyiwa Obasanjo coming out in 15years time to tell us he was rich before he got into politics as if he knew some money making tricks his mates did not know

@General
People keep on making derogatory statements about other tribes. Orji's failures is about his individual self and not about the Igbo race. Its like using Adedibu to judge the whole yoruba. When people discuss the likes of Dora Akunyili, Okonjo Iweala or Ken Nnamani they will not be specific about their tribes. They refer to them as Nigerians but as soon as its Orji or Arthur Nzeribe people start talking craps like Igbotic.

This is 2007 Nigeria we are discussing and not 1967, all this needless hatred for the Igbos must stop. We are not the most illiterate people in Nigeria for that matter.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Lawijo(m): 10:27pm On Feb 18, 2007
Donzman wrote:

(so is every single politician in the nation in which case we should not be voting for a president), It is justified that Mr Kalu is also corrupt then! Great reasoning uncle!
So Mr Kalu's partake in the corruption and self-enrichment gala for 8 years is obviously not enough, he apparently needs to go for a higher office, to achieve greater heights in the abject act of corruption being perpetuated by public office holders in Nigeria.
Bros, I think you need to read you comments again to understand your imput in this discussion.
That is exactly the point, governance and accountabililty cannot be separated! Obviously with your above statement, some Nigerians like you, are used to and appreciate different form of governance/leadership.
I actually am not bothered with his English, but the guy is sitting there on international stage telling the world (Koro-koro) that the refuge problems his state is having is not his problem. I am wondering what his idea of leadership is, if providing his people ammenities as basic as refuge collection is not his problem. And his state gets allocation from the federal government!? Apparently those allocations goes to other pressing matters other that providing very basic services to the people of his state. Unbelievable!
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by McKren(m): 11:06pm On Feb 18, 2007
Since Nigerian journalists are not living up to expectation, I wish Yaradua and Buhari should go on to Hardtalk lets even see what they are all about.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by shutmouth(m): 11:22pm On Feb 18, 2007
Funny Discussions!!!

Former UK Prime Minister, John Major became homeless and resided in a hotel for months after vacating 10 Downing Street having lost to Tony Blair.

Tony Blair lived in an 4 bedroom apartment in the middle of London (Middle Class Area) before he became prime Minister. He is (just) arranging to buy a 4 bedroom apartment (not villa) to move into after vacating the official residence sometime this year.

The former Swedish Prime Minister Göran Persson became homeless immediately after losing elections and vacating the Government house in October 2006. He joined the Housing waiting list (with other poor citizens). He was helped recently by an estate agent to rent a 4 bedroom apartment in Stockholm (not villa). The press complained as it was morally and legally wrong to jump the housing queue but the estate agent said they helped him as he had been a good client not because he was former president.

In Nigeria, voters prefer and respect the rich and that makes the leaders want to become richer by looting the treasury.

If the Europeans read the stuff you guys write here, they will be amazed. In civilized countries, (except ITALY where the mafia still rule), only few rich people are elected into public positions and many times, the rich simply are not interested in politics.

World's Richest People, Bill Gates (Microsoft), Richard Branson (Virgin Airlines), Kamprad Emtaryd Agunnaryd (founder and owner of IKEA), Stelios Haji-Ioannou (Easyjet's owner) etc - all would have been politicians if they were Nigerian. These men are highly respected and are among the world's best and known philanthropists.

What do the Nigerian rich men do? LOOT & LOOT!!!

I am ashamed to go further. Shame to us!
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 12:16am On Feb 19, 2007
You might also want to read up about Belinda Stronach in Canada who gave up a $10million/year job as chairman of her dad's company to run for parliament. You might also want to look at Dick Cheney, George Bush Jnr. . .They're all rich but chose to get into politics.

Stop giving isolated examples, rich people DO get involved in politics. Either they sponsor candidates or run for positions themselves.

@Post
First off, I'm not in support of Kalu and will not vote for him in the upcoming elections. I'll vote for Buhari if I had a vote because in my opinion, a president does not need to have good ideas, all he needs to do is sorround himself with great minds. What we need presently is someone who knows how to EXECUTE ideas and not NECESSARILY how to formulate one. You have the El-Rufais, Soludos, Iwealas to do the formulation. If you have economic ideas without knowledge of how to navigate the political terrain, you should be a freaking bureaucrat. That is what bureaucrats do, formulate ideas. Politicans see the ideas are implemented. Buhari is one guy I can trust to strengthen the implementation process, let the Utomis go and work in ministries, ministries need all the ideas they can formulate.

Secondly, just because Kalu does not know how to COMMUNICATE his ideas in spoken English, that does not imply he has no ideas. I wonder how this misconception came about. Some people are good in written English but suck at speaking it while others speak eloquently but write like 10 year olds. The issue of whether your proficiency in English is a good measure of mental strength isn't an issue I'm about to get into. Ideas have nothing to do with language, go to Nigeria and you'll see good businessmen who cannot speak standard English but that doesn't make them dullards, does it?

Lastly, can someone tell me what "Igbotic Ego" means?
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by McKren(m): 12:27am On Feb 19, 2007
@Donzman

Orji is simply clueless and has no idea what governance is about. If he can not communicate his ideas in any language his actions and achievements should speak for themselves. Nothing works in Abia state nothing. Go to Aba no roads, vultures everywhere climbing on gabage yet you claim he has got ideas.
Donzman. Igbos are democratic by nature. We dont do blind loyalty in igbo land the guy is simply clueless. Say it as simple as it is.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by alabiyemmy(m): 12:27am On Feb 19, 2007
the point again is this - he didnt put anything forward - even if he had used his native language - thrice I have seen him now - on BenTV in London, on VOA and on BBC. He said nothing worthwhile.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by LoverBwoy(m): 12:29am On Feb 19, 2007
I'll vote for Buhari if I had a vote because in my opinion, a president does not need to have good ideas, all he needs to do is sorround himself with great minds. What we need presently is someone who knows how to EXECUTE ideas and not NECESSARILY how to formulate one.

? brb
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 12:34am On Feb 19, 2007
@Donzman

Orji is simply clueless and has no idea what governance is about. If he can not communicate his ideas in any language his actions and achievements should speak for themselves. Nothing works in Abia state nothing. Go to Aba no roads, vultures everywhere climbing on gabage yet you claim he has got ideas.
Donzman. Igbos are democratic by nature. We don't do blind loyalty in igbo land the guy is simply clueless. Say it as simple as it is.

Dude, I don't care about Kalu, Buhari is my man. People should not equate not being able to speak English to a paucity of ideas. Kalu might as well be clueless, I just have issues with people attacking his grammar and using that to conjecture that he lacks ideas.

LoverBwoy:

? brb

You can only do yourself a favour by agreeing with that statement. Bureucrats like Soludo, El-Rufai and even Ribadu are the ones who it's their job to formulates ideas. A president or executive only has to sorround himself with great minds whilst knowing how to go about implementing any ideas they bring up in a political process.

Probably reason why Nigeria is failing, we pay more attention to the presidents/governors than we pay to the permanent secretaries.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Amobi1(m): 12:52am On Feb 19, 2007
i think he sucks, but he made some good points. Oby started the whole shit! it doesn't rain from the ground to the cloud but backwards! Oby, failure to govern naija led to all this nightmare.
I also think that he shouldn't run anymore. very interesting move by BCC.The best in the world! i can't wait to here yara dua speak!
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by shutmouth(m): 1:36am On Feb 19, 2007
The Nigerian people are part of the problem. For the extra money that a rich politician will give, we worship them. Some of us become thugs sorry "bodyguards". When someone joins politics (say a local government chairman) and becomes rich overnight, we don't question it, we celebrate the person. We even give them positions in church or at the mosque and do thanksgiving for the money.

Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by swing4real(m): 3:32am On Feb 19, 2007
For those of us that want to hear Muhammadu Buhari speak on Hardtalk please click the link below and hear him interviewed by Tim Sebastian.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/hardtalk/3421277.stm
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by swing4real(m): 3:36am On Feb 19, 2007
Sorry my people though it is an old interview in regards to the past election held 2004 but i just want you guys to hear him speak.I think he is better off to Orji Uzor Kalu.What do you guys think?
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by BigB11(m): 5:05am On Feb 19, 2007
On Kalu's interview:

I've tried many times to skip this topic because I do not like getting involved with things that aren't clear to me, but something pushed me today to check out the topic and here is my reaction:

Wow, unbelievable.
Let's forget about Mr.Kalu's English speaking during this interview, this is not my concern; instead, let's focus on his appearance, facial expression, and his state of mind.

During the interview, I quickly realized that Mr. Kalu is unfocused, unprepared and incompetent to be a governor of any state in Nigeria.
Through out the interview period, the man sounded like a secondary school class captain. He did not answer most of the questions clearly, he did not pay attention to most of the questions, he was very uncomfortable, very defensive and sounded as if he was in the court room in-front of a judge.
What is this? Ridiculous and unbelievable.

It is time for Nigerian leaders want to bessss, to realize and understand the true roles and qualities of an effective/ successful leader.

Being a leader is not for everybody and that doesn't mean that the unqualified folks are stupid. It is what it is; is either you have it or you don't. As a smart man, it is totally unnecessary to force anything because at the end of the day you're going to be the one that looks like a clown.

To be a leader; you must be able to express yourself clearly and competently, you must be a role model at all time, you must be able to think quickly and come up with bright answers, you must be charismatic, you must be confident, you must naturally care about people, you must posses interpersonal skill, you must be able to make tough decision quickly, you must think broadly, you can not flipflop, every decision must be final, you must have mental and physical stamina, you must respect/ adore your country etc.

But I'm sorry, during this interview I did not see any of these qualities. It is embarrassing and disgusting that this man also stated that he wants to become the next Nigerian president.

It's time to send a message to Nigerian people in general that just because you are rich and have several successful businesses doesn't make you a true leader.

Mr. Kalu is a fine man, but he should please refocus his energy in operating his gigantic businesses and leave the leadership role to those people that deserve to be considered.

May God bless sweet Nigeria.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Nobody: 5:30am On Feb 19, 2007
BigB1's analysis is the best I've seen so far, he didn't go about trying to talk about his "Igbotic Ego" or English language proficiency and trying to question his source of wealth.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by texazzpete(m): 8:15am On Feb 19, 2007
@Donzman

WTF is the matter with you? There have been many many posts by different people, just ONE person used the phrase 'Igbotic Ego'. Why the Devil do you keep harping on and on about this here?

stop trying to create tensions here, the mature thing would have been for you to ask the person who said the statement you found offensive to apologise or retract it. not all of us share such opinions, but you insist on reminding us of it every 3 posts or so.

if you're spoiling for a fight, go somewhere else.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by texazzpete(m): 8:18am On Feb 19, 2007
besides, considering the fact that the EFCC has a well documented case of widespread looting of Abia state funds, any sensible person will be right to question the source of some of his wealth. i mean, he had money before, but he's accumulated more from looting Abia state.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by nikynike(f): 9:22am On Feb 19, 2007
You all are wasting your time. Ask yourself if your suggestion,opinion and annoyance is getting to Orji Uzor? The answer is 100% NO. The earlier u guys stop disturbing ur life the better for u. He is rich meanwhile u paid N50 before replying this thread.Does His cash reach u? NO.Does Yaradua's cash reach u ?NO Does their English pay your school fees or get u employed? NO.

Wasting your time talking about Orji Uzor. His ways are too much. He does what he wants.If u think that ur opinion both positive or negative will have impact on him thats 100% LIE.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Afam(m): 9:57am On Feb 19, 2007
How can one dismiss the level of understanding of a language he choose to communicate with and yet blame him for not understanding the questions or providing answers for questions that were never asked?

Let his friends advice him to insist on pidgin english or Igbo and pay an interpreter, a lot of people do so.

English is a borrowed language, yes but it is not by force, learn to speak it well or revert to a language you are comfortable with, afterall communication is all about the sender and receiver understanding the message not so?
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by Sijien(m): 10:54am On Feb 19, 2007
What seems to have emerged from people's reaction to the Kalu interview is a disdain for English, or the ability to express one's self in English. English isn't Kalu's first language, so he should be allowed to butcher it the way he did - or so goes the thinking. I had two problems with the interview. First, he couldn't express himself, and second, even if he could, he had nothing to express. It wasn't about accent, because if it was, 99% of Nigerians would fall short of whatever glorious standard people imagine I've set.

OBJ speaks English with a thick okra-consistency Yoruba accent, yet he is very capable of expressing himself. OBJ is a surprisingly competent public speaker. Charles Soludo has an Igbo accent almost as strong as the akpu he probably eats, yet he makes sense when he speaks. Umaru Yar'Adua has a strong accent, Babangida has a strong accent, most Nigerians have strong accents - it's a reality. The case of Kalu was not one of accent, but one of a dearth of ideas. Chxta's analysis is on point.

A politician who cannot tell us what we, as an electorate, get for our vote should move to the backroom. We don't all have to be governor, or president, or senator, we can be advisers. As matter of fact, a leader is only as good as his closest advisers. If he can tell some apparatchik in Igbo, or Hausa, what his ideas for the state are, then fine. If Kalu wants to help Abia state, fine. But don't put his mug on the BBC, and then insult me by telling me this is the face of Abia state.

People in Nigeria forget that English is not just a colonial imposition, but is the egg that binds Nigeria together. I cannot think of anything else Nigerians have in common. The arbitrary colonial borders do not bring Nigeria together, as there are still vastly varying customs, languages, landscapes, an inexhaustible list of differences. This is Nigeria: a vast piece of land, around which Lord Lugard and his people drew a line, and then asked all the people within that line to speak English. It's the story of Africa, and now we have to deal with it.

The Rainbow Nation, South Africa, has 11 official languages, and eight non-official languages. But South Africa has 47 million people, while Nigeria has 140 million. India has 23 different official languages, and its own unique way of giving those languages some usage in system of government communication. The reality is that English and Hindi trump all in the usage stakes. Believe it or not, but even God's own country, the United States, does not have an official language at federal level. It is, however, the de facto language of communication. So wherefore Nigeria?

In Nigeria, nobody is formally educated in any local languages. Igbo, Hausa, and Yoruba are part of the curriculum, taught as foreign languages; rather than science, history, or maths taught in any of those langauges. People fail, or worse, don't do Nigerian languages for O'levels. It's Nigeria's loss. But everything is done in English, yet we are supposed to forgive politicians that cannot interact with us in the only way in which we should all collectively be able.

For those that say, "English is not his first language". I say that is no excuse. In essence, if someone has grown up in Sokoto, and goes to live in Abia state, they will in effect be disenfranchised. They may be within the same country, but they're not being communicated with because Orji Uzo Kalu, the state governor who should have the interests of all residents of his state, regardless of background, has failed to express himself to one of his citizens - as is his duty.

This is not a tirade against indigenous languages, or a declaration of love for Elizabeth Regina's English. I kick myself all the time for not being able to speak Igbo, and I pat myself on the back for the little Yoruba I can speak. The Yoruba that I speak was not as a result of living in Lagos, but came from slugging it out in a boarding school in Ondo state where the language was second nature to everyone. I have never been ashamed of my Nigerian heritage. This is about dealing with the reality of Nigeria as it stands today.

So those who want to forgive our politicians for not speaking English, good luck to you.

http://africanshirts..com/2007/02/in-defence-of-english.html
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by nadico(m): 11:30am On Feb 19, 2007
I sincerely believe that we just have to say the hard truth and be sincere to ourselves.Orji kalu whether he faulted in his grammer or not is just a total failure when it comes to governance.Someone of you guys might not actually understand the real depth of the whole issue.The issue remains that this was a young man whom many people entrusted a lot of hope in when he came into politics.many were blinded by the fact that this guy that has made so much money as a young would surely be an embodiment of democracy.the only word to substitute that name Aba is filth.i pray let God never allow such people to come into governance again in Nigeria.He might not actually be much different from the other crowd aspiring to rule Nigeria but he just succeeded in using his money to cast a big slur on himself.
Re: Orji Uzor Kalu's Interview On Hardtalk! by McKren(m): 12:28pm On Feb 19, 2007
Well I think people should translate some of what Orji said in there various languages and see if it still makes sense to them. Expecially " I am the governor and yet its not my duty to clean up refuse".

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Is Option A4 A Viable Option For Election In Nigeria? / Why Aren't Africans Giving Solidarity For Michael Brown? / Islam Approves Of The Libyan Slave Markets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.