Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,407 members, 7,819,446 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:28 PM

Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name (1844 Views)

Under What Conditions Should A Christian (born Again) Divorce? / A Christian Couple's Quiet Prayer Before Wedding Touched Thousands Of People / Proud Your Child Can't Speak Your Native Tongue? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by sleemgal(f): 8:55pm On Mar 04, 2010
I solely believe names are significant and have a stake in determing your children future.
for Nigerians, is giving your children english name really wise
Does it mean you are trying to dissociate yourself from your country and trying to be english?
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by coolier(f): 9:04pm On Mar 04, 2010
I would never ever give my child an English name. It's colonial mentality. And I don't like christian names either, the reason being they also sound English. I prefer names in my native language.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by snowdrops(m): 9:14pm On Mar 04, 2010
Native name rocks

Blimey, i have an English one though tongue
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by snowdrops(m): 9:17pm On Mar 04, 2010
coolier:

I would never ever give my child an English name. It's colonial mentality. And I don't like christian names either, the reason being they also sound English. I prefer names in my native language.
Now that is so wrong. It is simply a matter of choice. There are some beautiful English names, if you dig out the meanings.

In addition, they are not all English. You have Italian, Latin, Greek, French, Japanese names etc etc.
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by SALady(f): 8:27am On Mar 05, 2010
snowdrops:

Now that is so wrong. It is simply a matter of choice. There are some beautiful English names, if you dig out the meanings.

In addition, they are not all English. You have Italian, Latin, Greek, French, Japanese names etc etc[b][/b].
Again you omitted Naitive names in your listing above

I still think its a colonial mind to give children english/christian names. We all know that these names were given to our slave ancestors by whites who landed in africa and couldnt pronounce our naitive names. What are we still doing with those names anyway.

Then came the eradication of our languages. Hence you find black people speaking english among themselves and not to mention black children brought by black parents and cant speak their mother tongue can only speak english. Ever asked yourself why that is?

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by coolier(f): 9:24am On Mar 05, 2010
snowdrops:

Now that is so wrong. It is simply a matter of choice.

If it's a matter of choice, why is it wrong then? Are you telling me 'I' as a person don't have a choice?

snowdrops:

In addition, they are not all English. You have Italian, Latin, Greek, French, Japanese names etc etc.

Which are all still foreign to me! Would a Japanese, Italian, French, Greek or Indian give their children Ibo, Yoruba or Hausa names?
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by snowdrops(m): 9:31am On Mar 05, 2010
coolier:

Which are all still foreign to me! Would a Japanese, Italian, French, Greek or Indian give their children Ibo, Yoruba or Hausa names?
ABSOLUTELY YES. You are not that travelled then. People dont exactly mind origin of names provided it sounds well and has a nice meaning.
You are still trapped in the shackles of the colonial slave trade. Free yourself. Not every thing is "colonial mentality" or a conspiracy.
Its only a name.
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by coolier(f): 10:00am On Mar 05, 2010
snowdrops:

ABSOLUTELY YES. You are not that travelled then. People dont exactly mind origin of names provided it sounds well and has a nice meaning.
You are still trapped in the shackles of the colonial slave trade. Free yourself. Not every thing is "colonial mentality" or a conspiracy.
Its only a name.

Now you are wrong. And I have not come across an English family who go out of their way to call their kids Ngozi, Umaru or Adebisi, neither would an Indian or Japanese. And I am not trapped in the shackles of the colonial slave trade, people who still give their children English or foreign names are, they are the ones with a complex. And the little bit about travelling? I only wish you knew.
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by sleemgal(f): 10:18am On Mar 05, 2010
i totally agree with you guys, i think its complex
how can you name your child because it sounds nice and janded
moreover not all this names are even english originated

i understand for intertribe marriage where you have to name your child english names because you both are from different tribes of the country

both in the case it doesnt apply den gimme a break

i am yoruba and i love yoruba names they are so adorable
and d meanings again are fasinating
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by MSijuade(f): 8:39pm On Mar 05, 2010
Well, hello everyone! I'm new here! AND I’m in London!

This subject touched me because the reason for me registering on this site was because I am looking for my Nigerian father.  Whilst on the subject – he Christened me with a Nigerian name “Sijuade”.  I am 34 years of age and am keen to find my missing father with whom I have had no contact since 1977 after I believe he was deported from London back to Nigeria. He was known in London between 1975-1977 as Ken Sijuade. He left when I was just 2 years old.

Anyway the reason why this topic touched me was because when my father registered me at birth he gave me HIS Nigerian name 'Sijuade'. Now, as a kid growing up in the 70s (without a dad) in London was quite alternative to say the least. I have to admit I didn't promote my given name BUT as I grew older I have to say that I am SO happy he did this for me. I AM SO PROUD. BUT I want to find him. I haven't seen met him before, this for me is really sad.

I wasn't brought up to believe in religion and he also had me christened, so once again never paid much attention to this fact but I do appreciate and respect his reasons for doing this for me. Anything someone does for you to this degree you have to respect no matter what your beliefs. For me it showed that he cared. I've missed out on a lot - not having a father around, but it’s a long story!

Anyway, whilst I go on, I might just introduce myself, I'm Michelle Sijuade Trafford. And I’m going to ask YOU, would you have any idea where I might find my missing father Ken Sijuade?

This is quite a desperate case.

Regarding the name thing, in my opinion, it doesn't matter where you are born, who you are married to, what you do, how you live, just as long as you are happy with what you are and how it is. Names, not really that important, something sensible and appropriate. No grounds for an argument really uh? I think people should give their babies a name WITHOUT feeling that you have to label them, like an object, or cementing a child’s future by name as ‘one of you’, putting them in a box, like a possession or a belonging. A nice name - pleasing in all senses. 

If you have any information, which might guide me in the right direction to finding him, please, please let me know.

Thank you for reading this.

Much appreciated!

Michelle Sijuade
evolution1975@googlemail.com

MISSING PERSON_KEN SIJUADE (Do you know him?)

Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by snowdrops(m): 8:47pm On Mar 05, 2010
M.Sijuade:

Well, hello everyone! I'm new here! AND I’m in London!

This subject touched me because the reason for me registering on this site was because I am looking for my Nigerian father.  Whilst on the subject – he Christened me with a Nigerian name “Sijuade”.  I am 34 years of age and am keen to find my missing father with whom I have had no contact since 1977 after I believe he was deported from London back to Nigeria. He was known in London between 1975-1977 as Ken Sijuade. He left when I was just 2 years old.

Anyway the reason why this topic touched me was because when my father registered me at birth he gave me HIS Nigerian name 'Sijuade'. Now, as a kid growing up in the 70s (without a dad) in London was quite alternative to say the least. I have to admit I didn't promote my given name BUT as I grew older I have to say that I am SO happy he did this for me. I AM SO PROUD. BUT I want to find him. I haven't seen met him before, this for me is really sad.

I wasn't brought up to believe in religion and he also had me christened, so once again never paid much attention to this fact but I do appreciate and respect his reasons for doing this for me. Anything someone does for you to this degree you have to respect no matter what your beliefs. For me it showed that he cared. I've missed out on a lot - not having a father around, but it’s a long story!

Anyway, whilst I go on, I might just introduce myself, I'm Michelle Sijuade Trafford. And I’m going to ask YOU, would you have any idea where I might find my missing father Ken Sijuade?

This is quite a desperate case.

If you have any information, which might guide me in the right direction to finding him, please, please let me know.

Thank you for reading this.

Much appreciated!

Michelle Sijuade
evolution1975@googlemail.com

MISSING PERSON_KEN SIJUADE (Do you know him?)

Yours is a touching story. It would be a remote possibility to find someone who knows your father in here, especially in a country of 150 million people. A good number of the forums members live outside Nigeria.

I would advice you to start a brand new thread in the travels, family and/or foreign affairs section.

Good luck
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by snowdrops(m): 8:49pm On Mar 05, 2010
M.Sijuade:

Regarding the name thing, in my opinion, it doesn't matter where you are born, who you are married to, what you do, how you live, just as long as you are happy with what you are and how it is. Names, not really that important, something sensible and appropriate. No grounds for an argument really uh? I think people should give their babies a name WITHOUT feeling that you have to label them, like an object, or cementing a child’s future by name as ‘one of you’, putting them in a box, like a possession or a belonging. A nice name - pleasing in all senses. 

Well spoken
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by JustGood(m): 9:05am On Mar 08, 2010
Nigerian name!
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by jamesyins(m): 12:01pm On Mar 08, 2010
I prefer an Native and Christian Name because its shows your identity
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by SALady(f): 9:09am On Mar 09, 2010
snowdrops:

You are still trapped in the shackles of the colonial slave trade. [b]Free yourself. Not every thing is "colonial mentality" or a conspiracy.
Its only a name.

Spoken like a man/women who has no idea where they are coming from and clearly no idea where they are going. I say free yourself from the shackles of petronization. Why allow yourself to be petronized with such catchy statemets that lack depth. You owe nobody any apologies about what your history and identity is all about you must carry it and own it with pride no matter where you find yourself and whoever is in your company.

White afrikaaners here in SA are proud of their history (as dark as it is), their heritage and as for their language they will not trade it for anything. They make no excuses for it and nobody dares to questioning it. This has taught me that it is only when you attach meaning to who you are the things you do that you will not hide nor be swayed to be that which you are not. I admire their pride and patriotism.

@M Sijuade will admit, that she is proud of the identity that her father left her. Which I'd like to believe is what makes her want to know more of her origins and this is the identity that no one can ever separate her from. M Sijuade, may the love of God walk with you through out this journey and we hope you find your father well.

I am so proud of my name that everywhere I go I insist on people to say my name correct with the right pronounciation and never to chop it in order to suit their backgroud and accents.
Everytime I misspell an english word, or get the pronounciation wrong there's always a white person or even black person (which makes me laugh all the time) quick to correct me or make fun of me, meanwhile nobody cares about how the white person is going to butch my language and name and the rest of us black people we just sit back smile like silly Bonobo's, and say its ok we understand its not your language. 

Well in my books to hell with that you better say my name correct, it means that much to me as it does yours and your language. The person who gave it to me wasnt playing games. Stop messing and fooling with my african name, stop wishing it was easy to pronounce, stop wishing it was pleaseant to your ear. The person who gave it to me obviously didnt care much about you and your opinion when s/he named me.

"I am an African" and these words always sounds like a melody everitme I stop to mention them.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by chidipupay(m): 12:19pm On Mar 09, 2010
As for me, It is a native name, no English or biblical name
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by Obelomo: 4:02pm On Mar 11, 2010
Well like me I have both, actually many names well mostly two names that many people know by. Although my naija name is common, but now I just want to be mainly known by my yoruba name, because my English name is too- old fashioned for me. Plus nowdadays non-naija people are given their real african names, especillay I know a lot of girls who are named Shade and non of their parents are Nigerian! Personally, I think it is good to give both that way when the child is grown they may want an English, Christian or Naija name.
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by Obelomo: 4:04pm On Mar 11, 2010
Well like me I have both, actually many names well mostly three names that many people know me by.  Although my naija name is common, but now I just want to be mainly known by my yoruba name, because my English name is too- old fashioned for me.  Plus nowdadays non-naija people are given their children real african names, especillay I know a lot of girls who are named Shade and non of their parents are Nigerian!  Personally, I think it is good to give both that way when the child is grown they may want an English, Christian or Naija name.
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by iice(f): 3:17am On Mar 12, 2010
English name life! grin Would give them ancient names too if i could grin grin

Maximus decimus meridius cool cheesy
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by agathamari(f): 3:42pm On Mar 12, 2010
what is this obsession on what other people are naming thier children? this is a decision to made by the childs parents and does not concern the neighbors or sme random strangers on the street
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by beingme(f): 5:59pm On Mar 12, 2010
name ur babe whatevr u want to us its ur choice, so choose well and stop all this naming ceremony here
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by biina: 7:18pm On Mar 12, 2010
christian name? arent they just jewish names? undecided
If Jesus was Nigerian, his disciples would have been Kunle, Emeka, Adamu, Edet and co grin
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by mamagee3(f): 7:20pm On Mar 12, 2010
My Christain Name but sometimes I prefer using my English Name. . .
Because most people can't pronounce my Christain Name but they sure can pronounce my English name.
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by Nobody: 7:22pm On Mar 12, 2010
You see colonial mentality everywhere. What are you even doing on the internet and why are you typing in English? Why are you practising Christianity and why do you live in a federal country?

Hissssssssss!
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 12, 2010
Wait, what is a Christian name? undecided
Isnt it the same as your middle name/ christian name?

Well, my kids better learn to hate/love their native name, cuz thatz what they'll be getting cheesy
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by MSijuade(f): 6:06pm On Mar 13, 2010
Hi everyone!

Re: Update on the progression of the search for my father Ken Sijuade.

I have been chasing one of the leads I had learned of from this community site - The Village Square.

Have a look at the link below:

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/guest-articles/i-am-looking-for-my-nigerian-father.html

I just wanted to say THANK YOU again for all your advice and suggestions. I am going through the other leads and i'll keep you posted.

Cheers everyone for all your help so far!

Michelle Sijuade
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by ifyalways(f): 5:42pm On Mar 14, 2010
Lots and loads of native names.From Nnamdi to Koyejo to Anan and Adamu cheesy
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by Sagamite(m): 11:37am On Apr 18, 2010
snowdrops:

Its only a name.

If it is not colonial mentality, how come it is only white foreign names people give to their kids (and feel good/superior about it) and not Oriental, Indian, Aborigine, Other African, South American indian names?
Re: Which Is Better An English Name Or Your Native Name Or Even A Christian Name by Ybutterfly: 2:37am On Sep 13, 2011
native name, do you see English people giving their children african names

(1) (Reply)

As A Man, Would You Marry A Woman Who Earns More Than You? / 10 Rules To Follow Before Dating My Daughter / How To Deal With A Stubborn Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.