Stats: 3,153,557 members, 7,820,013 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar (3107 Views)

Kyari: FG Will Divert ₦457 Billion Petrol Subsidy To Other Sectors / Reps To Probe Moribund State Of Port Harcourt,warri,calabar,onitsha Inland Ports / Special Report: How NASS Forced Buhari To Divert N121 Billion Meant For The Poor (2) (3) (4)

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by libertyhope2017: 7:23am On Sep 27, 2017
verygudbadguy:
This is the sole reason why Nigeria will never grow. Your tribe this, your tribe that. Lagos State is already constructing two other ports at Lekki and Badagry. Is Lagos State going to construct for other states too.

Instead of holding your governors accountable, you keep crying wolf. Igbos are the largest importers in Nigeria. They are not Yorubas but they prefer to import through Apapa wharf because it is close to their target market.

My advice, go back home and develop your cities. Let a large number of people move back home so that there can be demands for these imported goods in that side too. Lagos can't divert it's cargoes internally like you stated. The importers would incur additional cost to bring them down to Lagos. They can only divert temporarily to fix the damaged roads. Follow my advice, Lagos is not your problem, your leaders are.[/s]

CLOSE LAGOS PORTS FOR 60 YRS WHILE WARRI, CALABAR, ONNE, PORT HARCOURT AND ONITSHA STAY OPENED, WHILE YOU YORUBAS TRAVEL ALL THE WAY FROM SW TO SS AND SE TO CLEAR AND SHIP YOUR GOODS, AFTER 60 YRS, THEN COME BACK AND TALK TO ME IF YOU LIKE IT. ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT MOST OF YOU AFONJAS IS YOU ARE HEARTLESS, YOU HAVE ZERO SYMPATHY FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRY MEN...ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOURSELF ONLY.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by webcalculator(m): 7:24am On Sep 27, 2017
verygudbadguy:

This is the sole reason why Nigeria will never grow. Your tribe this, your tribe that. Lagos State is already constructing two other ports at Lekki and Badagry. Is Lagos State going to construct for other states too.

Instead of holding your governors accountable, you keep crying wolf. Igbos are the largest importers in Nigeria. They are not Yorubas but they prefer to import through Apapa wharf because it is close to their target market.

My advice, go back home and develop your cities. Let a large number of people move back home so that there can be demands for these imported goods in that side too. Lagos can't divert it's cargoes internally like you stated. The importers would incur additional cost to bring them down to Lagos. They can only divert temporarily to fix the damaged roads. Follow my advice, Lagos is not your problem, your leaders are.

It seems you don't know what's happening. Have you imported before. I can tell you that whenever you want to import the destination must be Lagos. No option to choose other ports. Just like the way it is in traveling down to Nigeria, you don't have option of choosing ss & se airports. It's the NPA that directs traffic, not state government or fashola. That was why when that se woman was aviation minister or something like that, he diverted traffic to Enugu airport and other ss & se states which media started criticizing and eventually she was removed(due to fraud anyway).
I'm explaining because it seems you're not tribal but just didn't understand.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by Dalek(m): 7:25am On Sep 27, 2017
gists:

While I am a supporter of this administration, I don't think Fashola is sincere with this call. Or at best just to divert incoming cargo temporarily to other states and when the roads are finished, they will simply return to status quo. This is a government that is proposing another port in Badagry. Is it that they don't know the traffic implications for the state? If it is for the development of SW (as people tell me), why not take the coming port to Ondo state because they also have access to the sea? At over 20million residence, Lagos is already too congested. I am not an expert in the shipping industry but from a laymans perspective, it makes no sense to have another port in addition to the existing well-function ports in tiny Lagos.

I'm sorry maybe I am myopic and not seeing the bigger picture so I will appreciate an intelligent explanation. The only reason I can think of is if its is for political reasons. Since Lagos has now become like a fortress for APC and Ondo (even Ogun) may not always be guaranteed to be ruled by APC government.

the one in badagry is lagos state project not FG
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by 0m0nnakoda: 7:26am On Sep 27, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

the best hospital in the country that your Airforce1 couldn't take advantage of when he was sick and last I checked that stadium is the best stadium in Nigeria more beautiful than Manchester united stadium.
What is your point? and how is that relevant to what you quoted. What makes a hospital "best" is its staff. How many doctors work there.
How many patients do they see in a year etc.is it profitable? It is not the building but people that determine the quality of a hospital

Beautiful stadium? So public money should be spent on beauty?

Well that is fine in economics you make choices what you choose not to have is the opportunity cost of what you choose to have so in choosing a beautiful stadium you have chosen not to have a port .I hope the beauty fills your bellies

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by omofunaab(m): 7:32am On Sep 27, 2017
gists:

While I am a supporter of this administration, I don't think Fashola is sincere with this call. Or at best just to divert incoming cargo temporarily to other states and when the roads are finished, they will simply return to status quo. This is a government that is proposing another port in Badagry. Is it that they don't know the traffic implications for the state? If it is for the development of SW (as people tell me), why not take the coming port to Ondo state because they also have access to the sea? At over 20million residence, Lagos is already too congested. I am not an expert in the shipping industry but from a laymans perspective, it makes no sense to have another port in addition to the existing well-function ports in tiny Lagos.

I'm sorry maybe I am myopic and not seeing the bigger picture so I will appreciate an intelligent explanation. The only reason I can think of is if its is for political reasons. Since Lagos has now become like a fortress for APC and Ondo (even Ogun) may not always be guaranteed to be ruled by APC government.

What are you saying? You want lagos state government to build a port in Ondo?? ?

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by Ishilove: 7:33am On Sep 27, 2017
What ports can cargo going to the North use?
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by clarocuzioo(m): 7:36am On Sep 27, 2017
These are some of the things that causes serious agitations in this country, Fashola has just exposed one of the many attrocites meted out against the people of South south and South east.
First I was wondering why he did not mention PH seaport which is the most functional of all the ports in South sourh, but they have used politics to ground activities in those ports because they think a section of the country will become richer, I have it on good authority that for the past one month, inflow of containers to Aba from PH seaport has reduced to 5% of what it used to be, I also have a first hand information from importers in Aba that the bureaucracis associated with clearing containers in Ph seaport is terrible compared to Lagos.
I asked a simple question, why will any sane business man that wants to make profit allow his container to land in Lagos when his market is in the South east, where we have Ph, Warri and Calabar seaports?
It's not like there's a call to construct new ports, these facilities are there already but have been so underutilised and some allowed to dilapidated because of underutilisation. All vehicles imported in this country comes through Lagos when we have other seaports, this is the reason Apapa LG is the richest local government in Nigeria.
Some one once asked " what does the Igbos want"?
And I answer him today, allow all the ports in South south to function optimally, remove unnecesary bottle necks in goods clearing, also allow direct international flights from PH and Enugu airports and drive traffic to these ports, you would have solved a greater percentage of the factors that cause agitation.
The Igboman naturally is a business man, stop activities in the ports and you have stopped the flow of income of the average Igboman.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by omofunaab(m): 7:38am On Sep 27, 2017
libertyhope2017:
DECEIVING NIGER DELTANS AGAIN...FOR ALMOST 60 YRS, IT'S NOW YOU WANT TO DIVERT CARGO TO CALABAR AND WARRI? WHAT'S THE MEANING OF "DIVERTING"? LAGOS SHOULD DIVERT ITS CARGO INTERNALLY, NOT GIVING LEFTOVERS TO SS PORTS. OPEN ALL PORTS IN NIGERIA INCLUDING DRY KANGAROO PORT IN KADUNA, AND LET THEM ALL COMPETE. STOP HOLDING OTHERS FROM PROGRESSING ON PURPOSE BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID SOME REGIONS WILL FLOURISH WHEN THEIR PORTS OPEN AKA SS AND SE PORTS.

Oponu

Potor illiterate, who told you the ports were closed before?

Cc:Blue3k

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by verygudbadguy(m): 7:43am On Sep 27, 2017
webcalculator:

It seems you don't know what's happening. Have you imported before. I can tell you that whenever you want to import the destination must be Lagos. No option to choose other ports. Just like the way it is in traveling down to Nigeria, you don't have option of choosing ss & se airports. It's the NPA that directs traffic, not state government or fashola. That was why when that se woman was aviation minister or something like that, he diverted traffic to Enugu airport and other ss & se states which media started criticizing and eventually she was removed(due to fraud anyway).
I'm explaining because it seems you're not tribal but just didn't understand.
OK, I get you. I haven't imported before but I was always processing payments for importers and clearing agents on Paydirect. If I get you clearly, I think what is playing out is that of standard. Just like that of Airport, the Senators and Honourables should put pressure on the government, both at the state and federal level to see that the issue is addressed.

I do not believe that Lagos State has a hand in the monopolising that sector. I believe other ports need to improve in standard.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by gists: 7:43am On Sep 27, 2017
Dalek:

the one in badagry is lagos state project not FG
omofunaab:

What are you saying? You want lagos state government to build a port in Ondo?? ?
Oh really !!!??
Now it makes perfect sense.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by omofunaab(m): 7:44am On Sep 27, 2017
libertyhope2017:

CLOSE LAGOS PORTS FOR 60 YES WHILE WARRI, CALABAR, ONNE, PORT HARCOURT AND ONITSHA STAY OPENED, WHILE YOU YORUBAS TRAVEL ALL THE WAY FROM SW TO SS AND SE TO CLEAR AND SHIP YOUR GOODS, AFTER 60 YRS, THEN COME BACK AND TALK TO ME IF YOU LIKE IT. ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT MOST OF YOU AFONJAS IS YOU ARE HEARTLESS, YOU HAVE ZERO SYMPATHY FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRY MEN...ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOURSELF ONLY.

Lmao, Onitsha port.....

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by verygudbadguy(m): 7:48am On Sep 27, 2017
libertyhope2017:

CLOSE LAGOS PORTS FOR 60 YES WHILE WARRI, CALABAR, ONNE, PORT HARCOURT AND ONITSHA STAY OPENED, WHILE YOU YORUBAS TRAVEL ALL THE WAY FROM SW TO SS AND SE TO CLEAR AND SHIP YOUR GOODS, AFTER 60 YRS, THEN COME BACK AND TALK TO ME IF YOU LIKE IT. ONE THING I HAVE LEARNED ABOUT MOST OF YOU AFONJAS IS YOU ARE HEARTLESS, YOU HAVE ZERO SYMPATHY FOR YOUR FELLOW COUNTRY MEN...ALL YOU CARE ABOUT IS YOURSELF ONLY.
You are not addressing the issue at hand. You are only interested in calling names and blaming people. There is no problem without a solution. If you think the federal government is monopolizing that sector to favour Lagos, let your Senators and Reps speak up instead keep mute and rotting in silence.

But stop blaming people for your own woes. As a person, I have learnt to fight my battle and not hang it on people. Do the same.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by ODVanguard: 8:00am On Sep 27, 2017
gists:

When will people stop blaming Lagos for their own shortcomings and laziness for goodness sake? Ogun is currently getting more FDI in the manufacturing sector than Lagos coz it is leveraging on its proximity and landmass, we don't hear Lagos government sulking and lamenting over that, rather the state is still creatively coming up with other ways to attract investors into its other sectors. Are you people suggesting that Lagos should just stop growing because other states are lagging behind and refusing to develop?

If Ondo wants a port it should build one for itself (or seek investors that would be willing to commit the funds towards that) the same way Lagos is planning to build two new ports abeg. Dangote initially wanted to site his refinery at Olokonla in Ondo but the state govt in cohorts with the locals were giving him problems so he rightly sought a more investor-friendly state -- Lagos. People should quit trying to guilt-trip Lagos for handling it's business and maximizing it's god-given potentials/advantage abeg.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by OAUTemitayo: 8:03am On Sep 27, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

the best hospital in the country that your Airforce1 couldn't take advantage of when he was sick and last I checked that stadium is the best stadium in Nigeria more beautiful than Manchester united stadium.
Hospital that Akpabio sef no dey use.

Mtchew
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by OAUTemitayo: 8:07am On Sep 27, 2017
Ishilove:
What ports can cargo going to the North use?
hmm.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by 0m0nnakoda: 8:09am On Sep 27, 2017
ODVanguard:

When will people stop blaming Lagos for their own shortcomings and laziness for goodness sake? Ogun is currently getting more FDI in the manufacturing sector than Lagos coz it is leveraging on its proximity and landmass, we don't hear Lagos government sulking and lamenting over that, rather the state is still creatively coming up with other ways to attract investors into its other sectors. Are you people suggesting that Lagos should just stop growing because other states are lagging behind and refusing to develop?

If Ondo wants a port it should build one for itself (or seek investors that would be willing to commit the funds towards that) the same way Lagos is planning to build two new ports abeg. Dangote initially wanted to site his refinery at Olokonla in Ondo but the state govt in cohorts with the locals were giving him problems so he rightly sought a more investor-friendly state -- Lagos. People should quit trying to guilt-trip Lagos for handling it's business and maximizing it's god-given potentials/advantage abeg.
Lagos has stolen their destiny spiritually

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by MyNewJackeT: 8:10am On Sep 27, 2017
OAUTemitayo:

Hospital that Akpabio sef no dey use.

Mtchew

hahaha
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by MyNewJackeT: 8:13am On Sep 27, 2017
ODVanguard:

[b]If Ondo wants a port it should build one for itself[\b] (or seek investors that would be willing to commit the funds towards that) the same way Lagos is planning to build two new ports abeg. Dangote initially wanted to site his refinery at Olokonla in Ondo but the state govt in cohorts with the locals were giving him problems so he rightly sought a more investor-friendly state -- Lagos. People should quit trying to guilt-trip Lagos for handling it's business and maximizing it's god-given potentials/advantage abeg.

the same way Lagos built for itself abi?
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by ODVanguard: 8:13am On Sep 27, 2017
0m0nnakoda:

Lagos has stolen their destiny spiritually

As in eh? I just tire for their matter. They should siddon there and continue blaming Lagos for their problems.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by MyNewJackeT: 8:15am On Sep 27, 2017
ODVanguard:

[b]If Ondo wants a port it should build one for itself[\b] (or seek investors that would be willing to commit the funds towards that) the same way Lagos is planning to build two new ports abeg. Dangote initially wanted to site his refinery at Olokonla in Ondo but the state govt in cohorts with the locals were giving him problems so he rightly sought a more investor-friendly state -- Lagos. People should quit trying to guilt-trip Lagos for handling it's business and maximizing it's god-given potentials/advantage abeg.

Ondo should build the same way Lagos built for itself abi?
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by OAUTemitayo: 8:16am On Sep 27, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

hahaha
Am not joking o. Akpabio doesn't use the hospital. Don't let Nigerian leaders deceive you o.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by OAUTemitayo: 8:17am On Sep 27, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

Lagos port was built by the British from TAX collected from Yorubas. Is indirectly, Yoruba's built Lagos port.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by bakynes(m): 8:19am On Sep 27, 2017
libertyhope2017:
DECEIVING NIGER DELTANS AGAIN...FOR ALMOST 60 YRS, IT'S NOW YOU WANT TO DIVERT CARGO TO CALABAR AND WARRI? WHAT'S THE MEANING OF "DIVERTING"? LAGOS SHOULD DIVERT ITS CARGO INTERNALLY, NOT GIVING LEFTOVERS TO SS PORTS. OPEN ALL PORTS IN NIGERIA INCLUDING DRY KANGAROO PORT IN KADUNA, AND LET THEM ALL COMPETE. STOP HOLDING OTHERS FROM PROGRESSING ON PURPOSE BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID SOME REGIONS WILL FLOURISH WHEN THEIR PORTS OPEN AKA SS AND SE PORTS.
Which Port is in the SE? the SE is landlocked that's a fact. Stop this your attache by force.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by bakynes(m): 8:22am On Sep 27, 2017
Robisky001:
Arrant nonsense. Successive government deliberately left the seaport in Warri and Calabar to rot in other for the one in Lag to flourish due to political reasons. Now that the place is congested you now want to use the abandoned facilities.
Ask yourself who built the ports in the first place. Is it not the FG? So why would they allow the money to rot. The ports in the SS are majorly used for Oil Exports that's why the Lagos port is majorly used for non-oil exports and imports. You just sit-down there in your siting room and be shouting Marginalization.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by ODVanguard: 8:23am On Sep 27, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

No, The same way Lagos has decided to build Lekki and Badagry ports for itself. The same way Akwa Ibom is showing commitment towards building Ibom Seaport. Even Kaduna, a landlocked state, has been able to build a dry port, while some lazy landlocked people are still finding a way to blame Lagos as usual. Last time I checked, no one is preventing shippers from shipping to the other ports in the country. That shippers find Lagos ports more economical isn't Lagos' fault now is it? Na wah for una o.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by libertyhope2017: 8:23am On Sep 27, 2017
verygudbadguy:

You are not addressing the issue at hand. You are only interested in calling names and blaming people. There is no problem without a solution. If you think the federal government is monopolizing that sector to favour Lagos, let your the reps speak up instead keep mute and rotting in silence.

But stop blaming people for your own woes. As a person, I have learnt to fight my battle and not hang it on people. Do the same.

Typical afonja response...devoid of basic human decency.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by ODVanguard: 8:27am On Sep 27, 2017
MyNewJackeT:

Ondo should build the same way Lagos built for itself abi?

Ondo state government should seek investors to build one if they want one coz FG won't come and build it for them. FG is no longer in the business of solely building ports, same way they would rather leave the building of refineries to the likes of Dangote. States should stop being lazy (and quit blaming Lagos) and instead focus on creating enabling environments that would encourage investors to willingly commit their funds towards such projects in their states.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by verygudbadguy(m): 8:43am On Sep 27, 2017
libertyhope2017:

Typical afonja response...devoid of basic human decency.
Grow up.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by wristbangle: 9:15am On Sep 27, 2017
0m0nnakoda:
No doubt Lagos needs at least two more ports One on the Lekki axis and another at Badagry and Ondo state should partner with other SW states to develop another one at least

Ogun/Ondo can partner on this scheme but politicians would rather focus on project that will benefit their pockets alone.
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by hopeforcharles(m): 9:49am On Sep 27, 2017
Glorymax:

My dear, it's very painful to see that nations that copied from us in the past are now in their fourth and fifth stages of development while we're moving back instead because we can't even maintain the old status.

Let's hope that one day, we may have a leader to put things right
I pray so too
Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by Blue3k(m): 12:14pm On Sep 27, 2017
omofunaab:

Oponu

Potor illiterate, who told you the ports were closed before?

Cc:Blue3k

Lol I can't deal with these guys. They are perpetual victims and liars worst. The port not functional to being closed and people liked this comment. Nobody holding Akwa Ibom back from building port. The hold up is on their end.

Even me I'm from Akwa Ibom when I argued about opportunity cost of stadium they all disagree. They want second in Eket. The hospital was good idea but look at it now it's closed because the staff was completely foreign (indian), they didn't pay for equipment and had trouble with lights. Yes it was one of best hospitals according to our health minister who visited.

Re: Lagos Traffic: Nigeria To Divert Cargo To Warri, Calabar by RomeSankara: 12:19pm On Sep 27, 2017
verygudbadguy:

My advice, go back home and develop your cities. Let a large number of people move back home so that there can be demands for these imported goods in that side too. Lagos can't divert it's cargoes internally like you stated. The importers would incur additional cost to bring them down to Lagos. They can only divert temporarily to fix the damaged roads. Follow my advice, Lagos is not your problem, your leaders are.

Why are you making sound like Lagos is developed place when in reality 90 percent of streets in Lagos are mud ruts and I am sure u currently live in on earth sef

How Onnoghen’s Judgments Affirmed CCT’s Powers To Suspend Him / Igbos Were Denied Voting Last Election In Lagos - Miyetiti Allah Spokesperson / God Forbid We Support The Actualization Of Biafra

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94