Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,968 members, 7,845,120 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To (3655 Views)

Restructuring Cannot Save Nigeria — Chief Tola Adeniyi / We Cannot Help Biafra, But We Can Support Development Commission For Se / How A Youth Corper 'Spelt Nigeria'. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by pryme(m): 5:51pm On Sep 29, 2017
Viergeachar:

Are you a dullarddd

All we are saying is that states should fend for themselves and stop relying on the FG for stipends.

How well has the FG alone been able to diversify the economy from over-reliance on crude oil

Is musiwa your blood relation? You post like him.

You are well aware that Nigerian states are like the 5 fingers - there are not equal.
One small state is blessed with enough resources to cater for 5 states, while some states are empty resource wise.
Where is the fairness in that?

As I see it, the real marginalization will start when every state is left to their tents.
Let's be honest with our selves some states just can't keep up when it comes to generating revenue.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by pryme(m): 5:58pm On Sep 29, 2017
moninuola65:

haa cleverer!
look:
RESTRUCTURE IS TO OVERLOADED THE ALREADY FULL POCKET OF NIGERIA POLITICIANS!
After:
i. Federal Allocation!
ii. Federal Bail outs!
iii. Internal revenue!
iv. Restructure Fund!
Can Nigeria be better with these people?
All the indication so far of the restructure is to increased the state Allocation;
Can our governor sincere enough not to divert this fund away from 70% poor masses!
How guarantee we are that the Restructure fund will go directly to the people it meant for!

Plus you can't touch those Governors even if the loot the entire state treasury.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 6:09pm On Sep 29, 2017
yaki84:

is it fair for a state to get loan from banks, build power plants, at the end the power he produces is transmitted first to the national grid n later small fraction is being transmitted back to the state. The state will still be left with the burden of settling the loans plus accumulated interest.
I generate money thru taxing my people for consu,ing excess liquor, another man kills them and ban them for the same purpose, but at the end he will also share from the funds i generated from those liquor consumers.
The problem is that u people just went to school, u r not educated.
hah you go to school for education!
sorry!
I went to college of knowledge!
it's a pity you weren't taught in that school that it's wrong to have larger gab between recurrent and capital expenditure 70/30%!
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 6:12pm On Sep 29, 2017
pryme:

Plus you can't touch those Governors even if the loot the entire state treasury.
yah,
but how can we agitating to add RESTRUCTURE FUND to their ill gotten wealth?
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by freshest4live: 6:17pm On Sep 29, 2017
moninuola65:

yah,
but how can we agitating to add RESTRUCTURE FUND to their ill gotten wealth?
From what l understand, l don't think there's anything called restructure fund, rather what people are saying is that states should find ways to generate their own income. No one said anything about restructure fund.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 6:32pm On Sep 29, 2017
freshest4live:

From what l understand, l don't think there's anything called restructure fund, rather what people are saying is that states should find ways to generate their own income. No one said anything about restructure fund.
that's the political hide-out!
it difficult for people to see it!
All the way and form of restructure indicated to increased state fund!
Restructure Fund
how can people sure this increase will be well manage than before?
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by freshest4live: 6:41pm On Sep 29, 2017
moninuola65:

that's the political hide-out!
it difficult for people to see it!
All the way and form of restructure indicated to increased state fund!
Restructure Fund
how can people sure this increase will be well manage than before?
Increasing state fund has never been the arguement, rather the clamour has always been to stop the sharing formula.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 6:49pm On Sep 29, 2017
freshest4live:

Increasing state fund has never been the arguement, rather the clamour has always been to stop the sharing formula.
sharing formula or fund?
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by Viergeachar: 7:52pm On Sep 29, 2017
moninuola65:

generated revenue from where?
The best governor of Nigeria today Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos said lagosian had over-taxed already, now if you merge Lagos with other western states as a region do you think eko will continue developing?
do you think with power monger like fayose & ffk the region will be peaceful?

Revenue will be generated from human resources, tourism and abundant solid minerals in every state.

Are you musiwa's brother?
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 7:58pm On Sep 29, 2017
Viergeachar:

Revenue will be generated from human resources, tourism and abundant solid minerals in every state.

Are you musiwa's brother?
generated for who to manage, those that generated before how, it's managed?
Now it's Restructure Fund
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by Viergeachar: 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2017
moninuola65:

generated for who to manage, those that generated before how, it's managed?
Now it's Restructure Fund

When you work for money, will you spend it like free money when you have financial obligations?

You are musiwa.

I am done with you.

Bye!
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 8:17pm On Sep 29, 2017
Viergeachar:

When you work for money, will you spend it like free money when you have financial obligations?

You are musiwa.

I am done with you.

Bye!
how a governor work for money buy cultivating or rearing cattle!
or you talk about Restructure Fund
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by GreyLaw(m): 8:17pm On Sep 29, 2017
pryme:

You are well aware that Nigerian states are like the 5 fingers - there are not equal.
One small state is blessed with enough resources to cater for 5 states, while some states are empty resource wise.
Where is the fairness in that?

As I see it, the real marginalization will start when every state is left to their tents.
Let's be honest with our selves some states just can't keep up when it comes to generating revenue.

And whose business is it if some states cannot cater for themselves? If such happens, it simply means that their leaders are dumb! Maybe that will force residents of such states to vote in people with innovative ideas.

Again, another solution is for such barren states to be merged to more prosperous states.

Another thing worth noting is that, you do not need oil to prosper. This is evidenced in many wealthy and successful European countries that can only boast of human capital.

My point is, with good leadership, even the 'driest' state in Nigeria can create innovative ways of making good income enough to run their states smoothly.

Finally, to tackle the issue of accountability, states can enact laws to sentence for life, or up to thirty years, governors and leaders who are found to have appropriated state funds for their selfish interests.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 8:59pm On Sep 29, 2017
GreyLaw:

And whose business is it if some states cannot cater for themselves? If such happens, it simply means that their leaders are dumb! Maybe that will force residents of such states to vote in people with innovative ideas.

Again, another solution is for such barren states to be merged to more prosperous states.

Another thing worth noting is that, you do not need oil to prosper. This is evidenced in many wealthy and successful European countries that can only boast of human capital.

My point is, with good leadership, even the 'driest' state in Nigeria can create innovative ways of making good income enough to run their states smoothly.

Finally, to tackle the issue of accountability, states can enact laws to sentence for life, or up to thirty years, governors and leaders who are found to have appropriated state funds for their selfish interests.
we need to think rightly if we want to get things right in this country,
since the return democracy in 1999!
Nigeria have had 5 times governorship elections and the attitudes of our politicians remained unchanged,
despite we've votely changed many of them and now they were clamouring for more opportunity,
and you people blindly follow them without query!
how can you sure these people will well manage Restructure fund if they had it?
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by wickyyolo: 10:18pm On Sep 29, 2017
You just read Tinubu speech and believed him.

You have a volatile mind.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by PureMe01: 10:24pm On Sep 29, 2017
oga op,all these one u write down there na grammar.So dat d North will continue parasitizing and keep playing god over wetin no be dem get am.if restructuring Nigeria no good for U,run enta Uganda wen e come.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by 10mobile: 2:11am On Sep 30, 2017
EzzyIzzy, history proves d people's class the most powerful if they know it. Referendum comes by a people's persistence.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by EzzyIzzy: 6:46am On Sep 30, 2017
@10mobile, I asked you, what is the guarantee that the outcome of the referendum will be respected?? Since we already have a history of disrespect for earlier agreements. I'm sure you are following the developing story on the Kurdish referendum, the US just now asked the Kurds to void the outcome of the exercise, despite the fact that they are strong allies with the Kurds due to the ISIS situation. So also have the US asked Catalonians to step back. It's all about interests and the people's interests hardly matter in these affairs. Like I said earlier, going separate ways through a referendum will hardly work, too many interests in this Union will make sure the woman stays put. I will rather suggest a well thought out restructuring,to at least reduce the cost of government and strengthen our institutions of governance at the same time reduce the power at the centre. Thanks
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by londoner: 7:33am On Sep 30, 2017
EmeeNaka:
OP, your submission is offensive.
You forgot to understand the importance of era and time. The failure of 1963 constitution was lack of patience by Nigeria and political naivety. The 1963 model of restructuring will end major problems Nigerians are experiencing. We need to go back to regional administration with more power to the regions or give more power to the states as it is today. Nigerians are better experienced today than they were in 1963. We need regional administrations.

You are right. I don't think Nigeria has lived through an actual restructuring. The op is citing cases where it was only really written but never came to be implemented, so did not lead to actual restructuring of how things actually work or run in Nigeria. The centre (FG) has always been ALL POWERFUL at the expense of individual states and the political system has been stunted due to personality and party politics rather than the long term evolvement of strong INSTITUTIONS and SYSTEMS.

Nigeria needs restructuring in the authentic sense of the world. We are NOT talking about REBRANDING here.

1 Like

Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by 10mobile: 12:52pm On Sep 30, 2017
Hello EzzyIzzy! Pls am not ignoring u. Due to data deficiency, am using a basic phone now. To respond once I get on PC.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by Iamzik: 1:06pm On Sep 30, 2017
moninuola65:

haa cleverer!
look:
RESTRUCTURE IS TO OVERLOADED THE ALREADY FULL POCKET OF NIGERIA POLITICIANS!
After:
i. Federal Allocation!
ii. Federal Bail outs!
iii. Internal revenue!
iv. Restructure Fund!
Can Nigeria be better with these people?
All the indication so far of the restructure is to increased the state Allocation;
Can our governor sincere enough not to divert this fund away from 70% poor masses!
How guarantee we are that the Restructure fund will go directly to the people it meant for!

You don't seem to understand the concept of Federating units in a restructured entity. The federal government will not give states any allocation. States will rely on their IGR and contribute a percentage to sponsor the federal government. That way states can control their natural resources and develop their regions. Most states in Nigeria are not economically viable as at today. Won't be surprised if some end up merging.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by 10mobile: 2:03pm On Sep 30, 2017
PureMe01 & wickyyolo ur comments clearly show that either u did not read the post or u did not understand what u read.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by PureMe01: 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2017
10mobile:
PureMe01 & wickyyolo ur comments clearly show that either u did not read the post or u did not understand what u read.
honestly u have succeeded in confusing me
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by Ken4Christ: 4:31pm On Sep 30, 2017
10mobile:
It didn’t start today. Politicians and the media have been using terminologies to mislead whole peoples into making historic mistakes that are suffered by many generations afterwards. Some days ago, the erudite politician and former Governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu was a Guest/Keynote Speaker at the 2017 Annual Dinner of the King’s College Old Boys Association (KCOBA), held at King’s College Lagos. The address he was reported to have delivered expectedly dwelt on very key issues regarding our country Nigeria. You can acquaint yourself with the speech here:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/09/breaking-must-guard-separating-nigeria-small-pieces-tinubu-warns/

In many ways, the speech was a huge eye-opener to me. Suddenly, it was as if scales fell off my eyes and, for the first time, I really came to understand how faulty are many age-long concepts popular politicians and media moguls have been recommending such as Sovereign National Conference and True Fiscal federalism. I realized how very flimsy are the supporting reasons for such recommendation. Yet, they are being pushed down our collective throats with highly skilled verbal embellishment. This led me to make a very spontaneous response to the paper which you can find here:

https://www.nairaland.com/4081404/sir-almost-said-truth-open

In that inspired response, I revealed clearly how lame are some of those concepts that have become household in our media and political discourses.

My eyes have particularly been opened to the fact that the much touted restructuring will only be another exercise in futility all because we are not thinking it through. The reason it will be another waste of national resource is that we have not identified our root problem correctly.

As I pointed out clearly in my response (cited above), the root problem with Nigeria is not with structure as many – including very famous people – seem to think. So, ‘restructuring cannot help us much.

The root problem with Nigeria is to be located at a deeper level, the sub-structure, the very foundation of the edifice. So, the so-called ‘restructuring’ will be like mending walls, re-roofing and repainting a faulty building when its real fault is with the foundation. I have explained this more broadly in the above response cited above.

To prove that structure is not the root source of our problem, I refer to history. We already had true fiscal federalism and resource control enshrined in the 1963 Constitution. But what did we get from that? Only three years after the Constitution was ratified, we had the 1966 civil and military uprisings that eventually snowballed into the regrettable Civil War.

So, let’s think more. The solution I proffer is in the response cited above. I cannot repeat it here to avoid making this post longer than intended. So, if you care to know, you can take advantage of the link.

All in all, I am calling on everyone. Let’s stop going through endless vicious circles while experimenting with the destinies of our children yet unborn. Let's leave off politics, ethnicity and godless religious inclination. The destiny of our children is at issue here.

Cc: lalasticlala, seun, mynd44

Then, what will help? You can't even hold the leaders accountable because of the system. You make a peaceful protest, you will be arrested. You criticize the government, they will come after you. So, please tell us what you think will really work in Nigeria.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 4:49pm On Sep 30, 2017
Iamzik:

You don't seem to understand the concept of Federating units in a restructured entity. The federal government will not give states any allocation. States will rely on their IGR and contribute a percentage to sponsor the federal government. That way states can control their natural resources and develop their regions. Most states in Nigeria are not economically viable as at today. Won't be surprised if some end up merging.
Do you love this country?
which governor will have full financial power today and use it to serve Nigeria?
As a father, over everything you possess to your child and wait for him to give you, and you think you are sure to carry out your responsibilities as a father!
what a knowledge?
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by moninuola65: 4:56pm On Sep 30, 2017
Ken4Christ:

Then, what will help? You can't even hold the leaders accountable because of the system. You make a peaceful protest, you will be arrested. You criticize the government, they will come after you. So, please tell us what you think will really work in Nigeria.
What you expect?
The financial misappropriation of Diazeni madueke is enough to rejected any thing PDP in this country,
why?
it's PDP that hired her!
$1trn looted!
still you still support such a party because of sentiment!
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by Iamzik: 5:25pm On Sep 30, 2017
moninuola65:

Do you love this country?
which governor will have full financial power today and use it to serve Nigeria?
As a father, over everything you possess to your child and wait for him to give you, and you think you are sure to carry out your responsibilities as a father!
what a knowledge?

Well that your analogy is faulty but let's even assume that it's not.... Are you still in your father's house? Will you Keep relying on your father to pay your bills rather than striving to be an independent man who can support his father. No matter how rich your father is, it is unbecoming of a child to become a perpetual liability on his father!

Well for your information that is how federating units are originally designed to operate. The state should be more powerful than the federal when it comes to internal affairs. The federal is more powerful when dealing with external affairs.

Each state in America has its own police and elects it's own Sherifs and they don't report directly to Washington DC. They control their natural resources and are in total control of their IGR. They don't receive monthly allocation from Washington.
If we want to copy, let's copy correctly

It may sound strange to you but in federal system, the federal government does not control all state apparatus as we have in Nigeria. Feel free to do your own research
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by wickyyolo: 5:43pm On Sep 30, 2017
10mobile:

He just criticize some Tinubu opinion without give any solutions.
He has made his point on where he stands with his title thread.

I believe in restructuring, so stop confusing your self.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by oladeebo: 8:14pm On Sep 30, 2017
Iamzik:

Well that your analogy is faulty but let's even assume that it's not.... Are you still in your father's house? Will you Keep relying on your father to pay your bills rather than striving to be an independent man who can support his father. No matter how rich your father is, it is unbecoming of a child to become a perpetual liability on his father!

Well for your information that is how federating units are originally designed to operate. The state should be more powerful than the federal when it comes to internal affairs. The federal is more powerful when dealing with external affairs.

Each state in America has its own police and elects it's own Sherifs and they don't report directly to Washington DC. They control their natural resources and are in total control of their IGR. They don't receive monthly allocation from Washington.
If we want to copy, let's copy correctly

It may sound strange to you but in federal system, the federal government does not control all state apparatus as we have in Nigeria. Feel free to do your own research
but who told you US didn't had it's own secessionist, why they have?
why have they have same problem with us?
were they not better off than us?
and if community is of no important why God created us through Union!
It's because you people were greedy, full of hatred to others!
when you succeeded in division of Union we you build Berlin wall surrounding yourself!
self determination, a madness of 21st century, and it will consumed us all!
shame on the foolish civilization!
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by FearGodinall: 9:11pm On Sep 30, 2017
EmeeNaka:
OP, your submission is offensive.
You forgot to understand the importance of era and time. The failure of 1963 constitution was lack of patience by Nigeria and political naivety. The 1963 model of restructuring will end major problems Nigerians are experiencing. We need to go back to regional administration with more power to the regions or give more power to the states as it is today. Nigerians are better experienced today than they were in 1963. We need regional administrations.
Sir, I don't think the ops submissions are offensive as you said. Firstly, everybody talking about restructuring, reforming etc but nobody has proffered on how to achieving it, it simply means is dead on arrival then we continued to live on our self denial, so the best is to go our separate ways such that most of the house issues that has become our everyday problems are addressed. In fact sir, you need to read the full write up again and again to get it proper.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by FearGodinall: 9:24pm On Sep 30, 2017
moninuola65:

generated revenue from where?
The best governor of Nigeria today Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos said lagosian had over-taxed already, now if you merge Lagos with other western states as a region do you think eko will continue developing?
do you think with power monger like fayose & ffk the region will be peaceful?
Is it because of the people you mentioned that osun, ondo, in fact the SW State for thir debt? maybe you will lay the blame on them why osun states is owing civil her workers.
Re: ‘Restructuring’ Cannot Help Nigeria: See Reasons Many Of Us Are Blind To by Iamzik: 10:29pm On Sep 30, 2017
oladeebo:

but who told you US didn't had it's own secessionist, why they have?
why have they have same problem with us?
were they not better off than us?
and if community is of no important why God created us through Union!
It's because you people were greedy, full of hatred to others!
when you succeeded in division of Union we you build Berlin wall surrounding yourself!
self determination, a madness of 21st century, and it will consumed us all!
shame on the foolish civilization!

Bros if you think that US is not better than Nigeria then you need to travel and see for yourself..... You leave me speechless...

God did not create Nigerian. The colonial masters did without seeking my opinion or yours and made sure that there is sufficient inequality that will break the country eventually.

Self determination is not madness. Staying in one Nigeria with a bunch of non progressives stuck in 19th century is the real madness!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Buhari Will Win 2019 Polls. / See Why Yorubas Are More Matured / See Nnamdi Kanu Reaction To The Recent Bloody Clash Between Shiites And The Poli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.