Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,798 members, 7,820,800 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:57 PM

It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns (2212 Views)

The Most Dangerous Foods In The World (Graphic Photos) / Molokhia Soup: How Arabs Make Ewedu Soup (Pictures, Video) / Ẹgba Favourite Dishes: Amala Lafun And Ooyọ(ewedu) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by Dauraking: 3:44pm On Sep 27, 2017
It’s dangerous to use broom to mash ‘ewedu,’ gastroenterologist warns

Using a small bunch of broomsticks, known as ijabe, to mash ewedu (mallow-leaves) is very common among Nigerians when preparing the slimy soup.

However, medical experts have said that the age-old practice is actually fraught with dangers.

Ewedu is also known as Rama ayoyo among Hausa, while the Igbo call it Kerenkere.

Dr. Adegboyega Akere of the Department of Medicine, University College Hospital, Ibadan, on Wednesday, advised women and caterers to desist from the practice.

Akere, a Consultant Gastroenterologist, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Ibadan that food handlers should always use blender for ewedu and every other ingredient used in cooking it.

“They should not use broom to mash the vegetable,” he said.

Akere said this is because ewedu soup that is mashed with broomsticks could still retain splinters of the broom, however minute.

He said that when eaten, the splinters from the broomsticks could get trapped inside the oesophagus or the intestine.

Akere disclosed that someone who had eaten the soup containing a tiny piece of broomstick was rushed to the UCH recently.

“The broomstick settled in her intestine and did not digest. This resulted in the inflammation of the intestine.

“Two days after, the patient complained of severe stomach pains and a CT-Scan revealed that a broomstick was lodging inside her intestine.

“A surgical operation was carried out and in less than 24 hours, the patient was on her feet moving about.
“This clarion call is necessary because ewedu soup is the local soup of people in this part of Nigeria.

“The locals prefer it to any other soup; therefore, I will advise them to either blend or grind it on the stone before cooking,” he said.

Akere also warned that when someone ingests strange objects, they could develop gastroenterology-related diseases.

http://punchng.com/its-dangerous-to-use-broom-to-mash-ewedu-gastroenterologist-warns/
Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by madridguy(m): 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2017
Dr. Adegboyega Akere should better research on something else. Na today dem dey use the small broom

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by dingbang(m): 3:51pm On Sep 27, 2017
U dey mind them Afonjas
Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by Nbote(m): 3:57pm On Sep 27, 2017
And yet Iya Jimoh is approaching 80 and her children don dey old finish.. Wen are dey going to experience d danger of all d consumed ewedu?

5 Likes

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by Florblu(f): 4:17pm On Sep 27, 2017
Who sent him please?
I'm sure this man ate ewedu mashed with broom at a point in his life.
I gave up when he said that we can use grinding Stone to grind ewedu

2 Likes

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by Abiagirl777(f): 9:00pm On Sep 27, 2017
Tell that to our western bros

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by moshoodn(m): 6:16pm On Sep 28, 2017
Funny..

This is real funny..

1 Like

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by olaoreofe(f): 3:12pm On Sep 30, 2017
Using blender is more hygenic than broom....prevention is better than cure

3 Likes

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by Ndipe(m): 1:12am On Oct 13, 2017
Research is on-point, dont attempt to disapprove of it all because people have been cooking ewedu soup with broom for generations. It is akin to saying that female circumcision is not dangerous because this barbaric custom is a time honored tradition dating to the past. It's risky cooking soup with brooms and I agree with the researcher.

1 Like

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by PretyDEE: 1:52pm On Oct 19, 2017
I use blender instead of 'Ijabe'. I blend the ewedu just before cooking it.

It's easier, faster, and more hygienic.

2 Likes

Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by josephhun: 4:09pm On Oct 19, 2017
If you looking for kitchen technics.Check jiji Nigeria - the best classifieds ads website . There are a lot of ads
Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by tubouncen(m): 10:46am On Oct 20, 2017
PretyDEE:
I use blender instead of 'Ijabe'. I blend the ewedu just before cooking it.

It's easier, faster, and more hygienic.

Hello; i was unable to read the message you sent to my mail, how can i be of help?
Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by Ulunne777(f): 8:41am On May 15, 2023
grin
Wahalar
Re: It’s Dangerous To Use Broom To Mash ‘ewedu,’ Gastroenterologist Warns by bisoye11(m): 1:59pm On May 15, 2023
Which broom is he referring to.

(1) (Reply)

Nestlé Golden Morn Too Much Sugar / Come In Here And Learn How To Prepare Butter Milk / Would You Eat This?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.