Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,575 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:26 PM

The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind (2160 Views)

Lokoja: A State Capital With No Single Good Road (full Pictures / What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by rhemore: 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2010
I don't know why we are call the giant of Africa, is it because of our professionalism of stealing and our mastery of corruption? Or what? Please why are we refer to as giant of Africa i need to be educated.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Fhemmmy: 9:22pm On Mar 05, 2010
U mean the giANT of Africa?
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ziga: 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2010
rhemore:

I don't know why we are call the giant of Africa, is it because of our professionalism of stealing and our mastery of corruption? Or what? Please why are we refer to as giant of Africa i need to be educated.

Why don't you start by telling us what you have personally contributed in making us the Giant of Africa!!!

I'm sure other people will add to your list. But please speak for yourself.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by dominique(f): 11:58pm On Mar 05, 2010
poster prolly wasn't born when Nigeria was a force to be reckoned with in Africa back then. thats why he needs to be educated
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by rhemore: 12:04am On Mar 06, 2010
thank you for asking for what my contribution are. 1. i run an NGO my last programme was called NAIJA BY HEART where we went run Ketu area of Lagos state to educate and give out educational materials to pupils. 2. I travel out of this country to sensitized people to invest in Africa, In my little way by the grace of God i am doing my best.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 12:10am On Mar 06, 2010
@ Ziga  and Dominique,

It seems you missed completely, the point that the poster is making.
he is quite rightly saying that it is a disgrace that our government are so corrupt that they  cannot even provide basic essential amenities, utilities and infrastructure for our populace.

Don't tell me he is wrong.

Very very sad.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ziga: 12:27am On Mar 06, 2010
rhemore:

thank you for asking for what my contribution are. 1. i run an NGO my last programme was called NAIJA BY HEART where we went run Ketu area of Lagos state to educate and give out educational materials to pupils. 2. I travel out of this country to sensitized people to invest in Africa, In my little way by the grace of God i am doing my best.

From what you said you do, then i suppose your contribution helps in making us a good Giant.
GenBuhari:

@ Ziga  and Dominique,

It seems you missed completely, the point that the poster is making.
he is quite rightly saying that it is a disgrace that our government are so corrupt that they  cannot even provide basic essential amenities, utilities and infrastructure for our populace.

Don't tell me he is wrong.

Very very sad.

I see the poster's point of view, but i want you to see mine. Nigeria's reputation is because of the people in it. Therefore, the bad side of naija is coz we have bad people doing bad things. If more people do good things, then i guess we'll still be Giants.

So, before you start to blame people for doing the wrong things, make sure you are doing the right thing yourself.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 12:35am On Mar 06, 2010
Giant of Africa my foot.

Even Cotonou is more organised than the so called ' Giant of Africa '
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Fhemmmy: 12:53am On Mar 06, 2010
frosbel:

Giant of Africa my foot.

Even Cotonou is more organised than the so called ' Giant of Africa '

It used to be the gaint, but she is the ant of Lagos . . . .
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by houvest: 2:32am On Mar 06, 2010
Nigeria bashing is now the order of the day that many of her giant strides are unknown especially to young people but know that God has great plans for Nigeria and the evil men blocking that will soon be taken out of the way from the north, east, west and south for nigeria to have her pride of place and fulfilll her destiny. Keep praying for this to happen for we have no other country we can call our own even for those that have naturalized elsewhere. I wish Nlanders will desist from jumping into the bashing bandwagon and lead a campaign for Nigeria's greatness by contributing ideas on the forum for making her great. Let's quit all the shameles bickerings, ethnic suprematism, name-calling and abuse and post civilly. We should disagree with decorum  and turn NL into a tool for Nation building. NL and other similiar fora have already done much in this area but could do much better. Do not underestimate the power of the written word. You might be surprised to know the caliber of people that read NL even those in government. Mods, Supermods,etc should help us and before you know it a real mass movement for national greatness has started. We do not have to wait for those in government. We can actually make them irrelevant or force many of them to change their vision of Government as a place to 'go and chop'. 'Is it possible?' you might be asking. Change comes to differnt Nations in different ways. Armed struggle coupled with Mandela's,et al patience, perseverence and persistence suceeded in South Africa but it was Non-violence that worked for the blacks in US and for Ghandi in India. Ideas brought about the industrial revolution as well as the Marxist revolution in Russia. As well, two words ;perestroika and glasnost brought down the iron curtain and ultimately ended the soviet empire. The ultimate revolution, that of Christ rode on the wings of words not arms. Never underestimate the power of words and ideas. Lets do it here in NL.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Gbawe: 2:38am On Mar 06, 2010
Fhemmmy:

U mean the giANT of Africa?

and you think writing false and derogatory things about your nation of origin , perhaps to raise a few cheap laughs, is not the greatest indicator that you are part of the problem of Nigeria? My friend, people like you , ready to humiliate your nation to the world in cyberspace, cannot be part of the solution. You are tainted by all the negative news you recieve about your own people to the extent that you don't try and gain factual balance that will prove to you , beyond doubt, that Nigeria and Nigerians do far more good than they are given credit for !!!!!  

We all abhor what our nation has become but to insinuate we are "ants" compared to other African nations,  is an indication of how you only care for the negative news about Nigeria and Nigerians. Gratuitous and insincere pretence of wanting a better Nigeria , from ambivalent folks, is part of the reason Nigeria is stagnating. Yes we can do a lot more but how on earth , even in jest, can you conclude we are the "ants" of Africa? Do you actually know what Nigeria and Nigerians contribute to the wellbeing of Africa?
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 3:51am On Mar 06, 2010
Gbawe you get time.

Naija people make me laugh. Go to rural Uganda and see what some of these countries are like compared to Nigeria. Or rural Gambia, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, or Burundi.

In my ''village'' in Naija, you can buy toothpaste, toothbrush, mobile phones, t-shirts. It's even got some tarred roads! There are restaurants, hotels, markets filled with goods of various kinds, gas stations, motorparks.

Go to rural Uganda and even common coke to drink you can't find. Bush paths are the means to get around in many places.

Some of you need to travel to these other African countries and leave their capitals. Even Ghana. Step outside Accra and Kumasi and you'll be wondering what the hell you're doing in that place. Nothing happening.

You won't appreciate Naija until you actually go around and see these other nations. In those places people don't bother returning to their villages for christmas en masse like we do in Nigeria.

Their villages are desolate.  The one or two large cities they have is where everything happens.

In their villages, not only is there no electricity, but there are no power lines laid down at all, and there are no generators, because no one can afford them.

Like I said, you won't appreciate Naija until you actually go around and see some of these other nations.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ezeagu(m): 4:45am On Mar 06, 2010
ROSSIKE:

In my ''village'' in Naija, you can buy toothpaste, toothbrush, mobile phones, t-shirts. It's even got some tarred roads! There are restaurants, hotels, markets filled with goods of various kinds, gas stations, motorparks.

OMG (some) Tarred roads in a village!?!! shocked Well praise the heavens Nigeria is not rural Uganda. I'm so happy the progress of the entire Nigerian infrastructure is judged by how bad countries like Ghana and Uganda is, that actually saves lives! How bad a random village in Ghana is would really give an average Nigerian child an education. You know, 'you think dyeing from common diseases is bad, wait till your village is wiped out by a militia in Somalia' thinking saves Nigerian lives! cheesy

P.S are you actually in Nigeria. . . . . . . ?

ROSSIKE:

Go to rural Uganda and even common coke to drink you can't find. Bush paths are the means to get around in many places.

Uganda countryside:
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 6:59am On Mar 06, 2010
Mr ezeagu, if you could shut your loud trap for a second and understand I was responsing to the person calling Nigeria the ''ant'' of Africa. Certainly it was only right to refer them to other nations.

And posting an image of some place in Uganda on the internet is ludicrous. If you are so sure, why not actually visit that country and look around?

I'm sure you'll get a more accurate appraisal of the place than you can in a year's selective browsing of the internet. Ode.

You idiots think you can just get on a computer and type any demeaning rubbish that comes into your head, forgetting that many of us actually travel around Africa, and will put you straight when you talk too much rubbish.

I repeat, VISIT these places personally, and then come back and tell us Nigeria is the ''ant'' of Africa. Don't sit in Nigeria or wherever, knowing NOTHING and thinking you know anything.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ziga: 8:20am On Mar 06, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Mr ezeagu, if you could shut your loud trap for a second and understand I was responsing to the person calling Nigeria the ''ant'' of Africa. Certainly it was only right to refer them to other nations.

And posting an image of some place in Uganda on the internet is ludicrous. If you are so sure, why not actually visit that country and look around?

I'm sure you'll get a more accurate appraisal of the place than you can in a year's selective browsing of the internet. Ode.

You idiots think you can just get on a computer and type any demeaning rubbish that comes into your head, forgetting that many of us actually travel around Africa, and will put you straight when you talk too much rubbish.

I repeat, VISIT these places personally, and then come back and tell us Nigeria is the ''ant'' of Africa. Don't sit in Nigeria or wherever, knowing NOTHING and thinking you know anything.

Thank you.

Even people from countries that have nothing still respect their motherland! But a lot of Nigerians who haven't seen nothing of the world will use every opportunity they get too put down Naija.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 06, 2010
You should thank God there are no earthquakes other natural disaster in naija, u need to appreciate what u av and not degrade it. I tell u we're better off some countries
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ezeagu(m): 4:53pm On Mar 06, 2010
ROSSIKE:

So how deos Uganda and rural Ghana make Nigeria not the ant of Africa? You do know Ghanian cities have constant electricity and have more tourists coming into the country than Nigeria. Maybe you need to shut your steam pipe before telling me to shut my trap.

ROSSIKE:

If I'm so sure of what, Uganda having coca-cola? I should visit Uganda to check if they have coke?

ROSSIKE:

The way you're releasing insults like your response has some common sense. undecided

ROSSIKE:

"Many of us actually travel around Africa" really means "many of my family members, etc. travel around Africa and tell me stories", how do you know I'm not among "many of us"?

ROSSIKE:

Instead of you to ask me if I've actually visited anywhere else in Africa.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by EloSela(f): 5:52pm On Mar 06, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Gbawe you get time.

Naija people make me laugh. Go to rural Uganda and see what some of these countries are like compared to Nigeria. Or rural Gambia, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, or Burundi.

Some of you need to travel to these other African countries and leave their capitals. Even Ghana. Step outside Accra and Kumasi and you'll be wondering what the hell you're doing in that place. Nothing happening.

You won't appreciate Naija until you actually go around and see these other nations. In those places people don't bother returning to their villages for christmas en masse like we do in Nigeria.

Their villages are desolate.  The one or two large cities they have is where everything happens.

In their villages, not only is there no electricity, but there are no power lines laid down at all, and there are no generators, because no one can afford them.

Like I said, you won't appreciate Naija until you actually go around and see some of these other nations.

@Rossike

I doubt you have been to Uganda.

I have and I was well impressed. I visited a rural village called Gulu in the Northern region of the country. A village which had banks, atms, petrol stations, a cinema and a stadium. We also travelled from that village in the dead of the night to Kampala without fear of being attacked by armed robbers' we actually did that journey two times. This I repeat  was a village. Can you advice of what village I can find the same amenities in Nigeria?
In Kampala we also travelled around the city in the dead of the night to bars and other night venues without fear of being attacked. I was able to go into some of the top hotels in the city to dine without having to pay with an arm or a leg. I slept in a tent on Safari again without fear, again please tell me where I can do the same in Nigeria.
Uganda as a whole is a peaceful country and the people on a whole don't like trouble and for the most part are honest. For example I left change with a taxi driver and asked him to come back. I didn't expect to see him again and so I was well surprised when he turned  up bright and early the next morning with my money. The services work such as electricity (they have a electricity problem but it is not as bad as Nigeria with the light going off for about two or so hours a day but one hardly notices) water, gas, internet etc.
I have been to plenty of countries in Africa including Nigeria, Gambia and Senegal and I am sorry to say Nigeria has nothing, absolutely nothing on those countries in terms of development, social welfare and infrastructure. All Nigeria has is a high population of people.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 11:28pm On Mar 06, 2010
@Ziga
Of course , that all Nigerians need to stop corrupt practices, but this needs to come from strong non-corrupt government willing to implement law and order. It has to start from the top!!

ziga:

I see the poster's point of view, but i want you to see mine. Nigeria's reputation is because of the people in it. Therefore, the bad side of naija is coz we have bad people doing bad things. If more people do good things, then i guess we'll still be Giants.

So, before you start to blame people for doing the wrong things, make sure you are doing the right thing yourself.

Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ziga: 12:20am On Mar 07, 2010
GenBuhari:

@Ziga
Of course , that all Nigerians need to stop corrupt practices, but this needs to come from strong non-corrupt government willing to implement law and order. It has to start from the top!!

Well, we are the corrupt government!!!

Ordinary Nigerians made it possible for the corrupt government to be there in the first place. Everybody would blame Obasanjo for imposing the current government on us, but i can't remember seeing Obasanjo stealing ballot boxes. And i know he didn't rig the elections by himself.

We ordinary Nigerians make all these happen by selling our souls for a few bucks to these Government.

So, all am saying is we point fingers without doing the right thing ourselves.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 1:28pm On Apr 02, 2010
ziga, what you are saying is utter nonsense, Nigerians did not freely choose OBJ, or Yara Dua as there were never any free and fair elections.

Change has to start from the top as government has to be responsible in enforcing and implementing law and order. We can not police ourselves.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ziga: 3:54pm On Apr 02, 2010
GenBuhari:

ziga, what you are saying is utter nonsense, Nigerians did not freely choose OBJ, or Yara Dua as there were never any free and fair elections.

Change has to start from the top as government has to be responsible in enforcing and implementing law and order. We can not police ourselves.

And what you are saying is utter rightness.

We just love to be self righteous. Blame everything else but ourselves.

Don't tell me you are one of the irresponsible ones among us who never does the right thing but expects the people in power to magically right all the wrongs.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by ikeyman00(m): 6:22pm On Apr 02, 2010
elosea

I have been to plenty of countries in Africa including Nigeria, Gambia and Senegal and I am sorry to say Nigeria has nothing, absolutely nothing on those countries in terms of development, social welfare and infrastructure. All Nigeria has is a high population of people.

im not sure if this is real

afterall some iman claim he saw Yara-hiding!!!
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Dede1(m): 2:19am On Apr 03, 2010
The mere insinuation of refereeing Nigeria as the giant of Ant amounts to blatant and premeditated insult to the arthropods.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Kobojunkie: 2:31am On Apr 03, 2010
dominique:

poster prolly wasn't born when Nigeria was a force to be reckoned with in Africa back then. thats why he needs to be educated

It is the year 2010. The Poster is referring to the present, not why Nigeria WAS called Giant of Africa well over 25 years ago.

ifedy:

You should thank God there are no earthquakes other natural disaster in naija, u need to appreciate what u av and not degrade it. I tell u we're better off some countries

The Man-made disaster that has subjected over 50 million to a lift of abject poverty is much better?
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by dblock(m): 8:06am On Apr 03, 2010
Negativity never solved anything.

The problem with Nigerians is that they spend 90% of the time dwelling on the problem and 10% of the time on the solution

when they should be spending 10% dwelling on the problem and 90% on the solution.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Ikengawo: 8:22am On Apr 03, 2010
^co-sign

nigerians are the worst ppl to discuss nigeria with cause they're the most ignorant and oblivious.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Tittos: 8:47am On Apr 03, 2010
Nigeria was called the giant of africa during the period of economy boom,when 1 pound was 1 naira.a lot of foreign investments and strong economy.i went to a seminar last week in women centre Enugu,while the host introducing a speaker from south africa called south africa the modern day 'GIANT OF AFRICA'.it was pathetic,
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by agitator: 8:49am On Apr 03, 2010
ziga:

Well, we are the corrupt government!!!

Ordinary Nigerians made it possible for the corrupt government to be there in the first place. Everybody would blame Obasanjo for imposing the current government on us, but i can't remember seeing Obasanjo stealing ballot boxes. And i know he didn't rig the elections by himself.

We ordinary Nigerians make all these happen by selling our souls for a few bucks to these Government.

So, all am saying is we point fingers without doing the right thing ourselves.

My points exactly! you should have seen the way ordinary bayelsans where campaigning for Timipre Sylva second tenure.  Yet they will go home and start complaining after exhausting the N2,000 they collected to participate in the bogus campaign.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 11:34am On Apr 03, 2010
Could be that most of these disgruntled elements making silly comments here have never been to Nigeria recently or are not even Nigerian.
But for Femi to call Nigeria the ant of Africa is just shocking. There are great infrastructural developments taking place in the country.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by Nobody: 11:46am On Apr 03, 2010
ROSSIKE:

Thanks for putting things in their right perspective.
Re: The Giant Of Africa, No Light, Water, Good Road, And Infrastruture Of Anykind by agathamari(f): 11:50am On Apr 03, 2010
rhemore:

because they are trapped in the middle.  they have everything needed to be one of the most developed countries on the continent but are more preocupied with keeping people from comparing them to countries like Uganda to succeed.   the infrustructure is gone, the leaders are too busy hiding or stealing to truly care but instead of trying to fix the issues like these as well as power and roads they choose to waste thier time in arguments trying to hide the faults behind banter in the name of "rebranding".  instead of truly being "the giant of africa" they are acting more like a childs magician.  using mindgames and veils to attempt to hide what is truely happening without knowing that the audience (world) can see right through the deception

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Asks Obama To Revisit Terror Blacklist / Odu’a Investment Chairman Shot / Efcc Arrests Adenuga, Otedola, Dantata And Others For Fuel Subsidy Fraud

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.