Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,955 members, 7,824,997 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) - Autos (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) (21805 Views)

Less Than 1yr Used 2006 Highlander With 3 Row Seats For Sale / ARRIVED$DELIVER*Pre-ordered 2008 Mercedes Benz C300 From Fhemmmy*- Hustler2-PIXX / Pre-ordered From Fhemmmy 1999 VW Passat LEATHER By Jites Of NL -**DELIVEREDDD** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 11:06am On Aug 07, 2010
George_D:

yes, that's right. i got my hands full at the moment as you can see.

phcn no dey let us see road and i don tire to run generator everyday so what can man do but to do it high tech way?

i just installed yet another set of solar modules as you see from the thread below.

you can also see the highlander at the background while my brothers were lifting the bracket on the way to rooftop.

after now, i sure say na madam ride i go face next.

no be small thing oooo! wink

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-390522.32.html#msg6471163

Checking through the thread in the Link, Are you going to build the Solar panel yourself ?

Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 11:30am On Aug 07, 2010
inspired_m:

Checking through the thread in the Link, Are you going to build the Solar panel yourself ?

no, but i did the installation myself with just a little help from my carpenter (nailing the bracket on the rooftop) and of course my brothers who helped with the manual lifting. wink

when you start using solar power, you won't want to hear the nasty noise of generators again! smiley
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 11:34am On Aug 07, 2010
George_D:

no, but i did the installation myself with just a little help from my carpenter (nailing the bracket on the rooftop) and of course my brothers who helped with the manual lifting.  wink

when you start using solar power, you won't want to hear the nasty noise of generators again!  smiley

I'm quite pessimistic about this Solar Power thingy because I heard they cant generate High Power Energy

The Solar Powered Street Lights are Examples, They look so Dull at Night and cant lit up the roads properly As Compared to the electrically Powered Sodium Lights.

I still think Inverters are the Perfect Noiseless Power Generating Solutions.
cool cool
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:10pm On Aug 07, 2010
inspired,,
many people do have a poor perception of solar power due to experiences similar to what you just described. however, solar is by far one of the best forms of energy provided the right types of materials are used and the installation is done properly.

those street lights your talking about were installed by a contractor who probably knows next to nothing about solar but ended up getting the contract because he knows someone in govt.

inverters that you menioned above form part of a larger solar power system. see what i mean by clicking on the solar link above. scroll down to the other pictures and you'll understand better.
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by agabaI23(m): 12:14pm On Aug 07, 2010
@George,

Do you use solar for power? What is your experience?
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 5:06pm On Aug 07, 2010
George_D:

inspired,,
many people do have a poor perception of solar power due to experiences similar to what you just described. however, solar is by far one of the best forms of energy provided the right types of materials are used and the installation is done properly.

those street lights your talking about were installed by a contractor who probably knows next to nothing about solar but ended up getting the contract because he knows someone in govt.

inverters that you menioned above form part of a larger solar power system. see what i mean by clicking on the solar link above. scroll down to the other pictures and you'll understand better.

Yeah I know Its One of the best Forms and its also Free as well, Just like FTA. cheesy

My Concern is Can it Power High Voltage Equipments and How long can the Supply last for ?

Does the Intensity of the Sun affect the Power Stored ?

Also are Most of the Components readily Available Like locally ? cool
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 6:52pm On Aug 07, 2010
agabaI23:

@George,

Do you use solar for power? What is your experience?

agaba,
yes, i use solar power and i can tell you from my experience there is no better alternative to it-as far as power supply in naija is concerned. i started on this route a couple of years back and i've never regretted it. the only draw back is the perceived high initial cost but that is only a wrong assumption because practically speaking, when you factor the cost of running a regular generator for the lenght of time a solar panel is supposed to last, then the high cost will not seem so high afterall.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-390522.64.html#msg6507961

and to answer your question more directly, before i embarked on this route, i used to run generators almost everyday but now with my system set up (and i'm not even through yet) i only run my gen once in a blue moon. sometimes in a month i run it only once or twice or not at all! wink
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 7:11pm On Aug 07, 2010
inspired_m:

Yeah I know Its One of the best Forms and its also Free as well, Just like FTA. cheesy

My Concern is Can it Power High Voltage Equipments and How long can the Supply last for ?

Does the Intensity of the Sun affect the Power Stored ?

Also are Most of the Components readily Available Like locally ? cool

inspired,
one thing you have to bear in mind with solar is that when it comes to power usage, the emphasis is always tending towards conservation and energy efficiency. rather than trying to build a system that will carry all your loads as they are, you first look at how to reduce or totally eliminate some of the unnecessary loads you may be running at home which more or less contribute to your high energy bills.
however, yes you can build a solar power system that can power high voltage equipments like air conditioners, water pumps, washing machines, etc. it will interst you to know that entire towns are being power purely on solar as we speak!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20007333-54.html

how long does it last for? the answer to that is simple: as long as you want it to last! now, let me explain. with a solar system-unlike a regular generator you can control how long your power lasts by building your battery bank according to the duration you want. there is a very accurate means of determining this i assure you, so it's not trial and error!

does the intensity of the sun affect the amount of power stored? no. the amount of stored energy depends solely on the size of your battery bank.

are most of the components readily available locally? yes-to a reasonable extent. however you must understand that as with automobiles and every other manufactured technology, nothing is produced here so even the dealers have to source these from abroad. but there are good places in naija where you can buy what you require and also good professionals who can help with getting what you need.

EDITED
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by beecrofty(m): 1:37am On Aug 08, 2010
George D.

What do you think this would cost me, putting in mind that i use a 3a/c(1.5hp each), 1refridgerator, 2tv, 1hometheatre, 1dstv, 1laptop almost always. If you were to fix one for me, how much would it cost and what are the materials needed in any case you can't do it, considering the distance alone sef.
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:47am On Aug 08, 2010
beecrofty,
your first step is to accurately determine the total load you want to run and the length of time you want to run them. merely stating that you have 3 acs of 1.5hp each and refrigerator, home theater, dstv, etc doesn't cut it. check those items you mentioned, read their name tag and get the various wattages. if you can give me a list of exactly what items you want to run, the watts for each and the duration, i can very easily give a suggestion of what size system you will need.

that said, the components of a solar power system include: 1) an inverter 2) batteries 3) change-over switch 4) solar modules 5) solar charge controller.

depending on your budget and if you live in an area where phcn is a bit ok, you could start with only a back-up system which will comprise item 1 to 3 above leaving out the solar modules and charge controller. In this case, you will be charging your battery bank with public power (if your sure of at least 3 or 4 hrs steady light a day) or occasionally use your generator to charge them. this method saves you the extra expense of buying and installing the solar modules and accessories. however, if your living in an area where there is constant black out for days, then it may be more advisable to plan for solar modules for your system.
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 9:39am On Aug 09, 2010
George_D:

inspired,
one thing you have to bear in mind with solar is that when it comes to power usage, the emphasis is always tending towards conservation and energy efficiency. rather than trying to build a system that will carry all your loads as they are, you first look at how to reduce or totally eliminate some of the unnecessary loads you may be running at home which more or less contribute to your high energy bills.
however, yes you can build a solar power system that can power high voltage equipments like air conditioners, water pumps, washing machines, etc. it will interst you to know that entire towns are being power purely on solar as we speak!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-20007333-54.html

how long does it last for? the answer to that is simple: as long as you want it to last! now, let me explain. with a solar system-unlike a regular generator you can control how long your power lasts by building your battery bank according to the duration you want. there is a very accurate means of determining this i assure you, so it's not trial and error!

does the intensity of the sun affect the amount of power stored? no. the amount of stored energy depends solely on the size of your battery bank.

are most of the components readily available locally? yes-to a reasonable extent. however you must understand that as with automobiles and every other manufactured technology, nothing is produced here so even the dealers have to source these from abroad. but there are good places in naija where you can buy what you require and also good professionals who can help with getting what you need.

EDITED

Thanks for the Explanation.

God Bless.
cool
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 11:15am On Aug 09, 2010
inspired_m:

Thanks for the Explanation.

God Bless.
cool

your welcome!

btw, you should really give solar a thought. as i can see you're smart with rides so you should be smart with power generation too. personally i'm quite amazed at how so many people won't think twice about spending over 5million naira on a car which depreciates over time, takes money from their pocket in terms of maintenance costs and doesn't add value to their assets but the same people will lament on the high cost of alternative energy (e.g solar) which gives them maintenance-free power for over 25yrs and also gives them so many other conveniences.

for the cost of a used 2007 toyota highlander ltd, you can set up a 5kw solar power system in your home which will give you trouble-free power for 3 times the number of yrs that suv is supposed to last! think about it. smiley
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 1:46pm On Aug 12, 2010
George_D:

your welcome!

btw, you should really give solar a thought. as i can see you're smart with rides so you should be smart with power generation too. personally i'm quite amazed at how so many people won't think twice about spending over 5million naira on a car which depreciates over time, takes money from their pocket in terms of maintenance costs and doesn't add value to their assets but the same people will lament on the high cost of alternative energy (e.g solar) which gives them maintenance-free power for over 25yrs and also gives them so many other conveniences.

for the cost of a used 2007 toyota highlander ltd, you can set up a 5kw solar power system in your home which will give you trouble-free power for 3 times the number of yrs that suv is supposed to last! think about it. smiley

Brilliant Presentation,

What is the average going cost of setting up a 5Kw Solar power system ?
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:28pm On Aug 13, 2010
inspired_m:

Brilliant Presentation,

What is the average going cost of setting up a 5Kw Solar power system ?

for a 5kw system, you will need a minimum 5ka inverter (or 6kva) and you will also need a minimum of 16pcs 200ah (or 260ah) deep cycle gel batteries. you will also need at least 25 pcs of 200w solar panels for charging and supply of power to the house during the day (if you live in an area where public power is not too frequent. lastly you will need two charge controllers and a 60amps change over switch.

here is the breakdown:

5kva inverter: 230,000
deep cycle gel batteries (16 pcs): 55,000*16 = 880,000
sharp solar modules (750/watt): 5000*750= 3,750,000
charge controller (2 pcs): 60,000*2 = 120,000
change-over switch (60amps) : 12,000
total cost: 4,992,000

as you can see, the cost of the solar modules makes up more than two thirds of the total cost of the system but there is a way around this. if you live in an area where public power is fairly regular (i.e at least 4 hours every two days) then you may not need that many solar modules. however if you happen to live in an area where your constantly in blackout, then investing in solar modules is a wiser choice. also, for your 5kw system even though we're talking of at least 25pcs of sharp 200w solar modules however, the good news is that you don't have to buy all of them at once. depending on your budget, you can always start with just a back-up system comprising only the inverter and batteries and later you can start buying solar modules and adding  them on an instalmental basis of 2, 4, 6, 8 etc as you go along. that is how i started and i think it has had minimal impact on my pocket.
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:34pm On Aug 13, 2010
multiple post. system kept deleting my post so i kept reposting.
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:36pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:51pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 3:26pm On Aug 13, 2010
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by agabaI23(m): 1:39pm On Aug 14, 2010
George_D:

for a 5kw system, you will need a minimum 5ka inverter (or 6kva) and you will also need a minimum of 16pcs 200ah (or 260ah) deep cycle gel batteries. you will also need at least 25 pcs of 200w solar panels for charging and supply of power to the house during the day (if you live in an area where public power is not too frequent. lastly you will need two charge controllers and a 60amps change over switch.

here is the breakdown:

5kva inverter: 230,000
deep cycle gel batteries (16 pcs): 55,000*16 = 880,000
sharp solar modules (750/watt): 5000*750= 3,750,000
charge controller (2 pcs): 60,000*2 = 120,000
change-over switch (60amps) : 12,000
total cost: 4,992,000

as you can see, the cost of the solar modules makes up more than two thirds of the total cost of the system but there is a way around this. if you live in an area where public power is fairly regular (i.e at least 4 hours every two days) then you may not need that many solar modules. however if you happen to live in an area where your constantly in blackout, then investing in solar modules is a wiser choice. also, for your 5kw system even though we're talking of at least 25pcs of sharp 200w solar modules however, the good news is that you don't have to buy all of them at once. depending on your budget, you can always start with just a back-up system comprising only the inverter and batteries and later you can start buying solar modules and adding  them on an instalmental basis of 2, 4, 6, 8 etc as you go along. that is how i started and i think it has had minimal impact on my pocket.
Noted
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by jujukemist(m): 11:48pm On Aug 15, 2010
xcellent george d am not suprised cool
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 10:40am On Aug 16, 2010
jujukemist,
what can man do? i was just trying to explain how i started out on the road to alternative energy.

sometimes, you just get a kick out being the only one who's house is lighted up by solar while all your neighbours keep suffocating under the noise and smoke of fuel guzzling generators! grin
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by jujukemist(m): 6:19pm On Aug 16, 2010
George_D:

jujukemist,
what can man do? i was just trying to explain how i started out on the road to alternative energy.

sometimes, you just get a kick out being the only one who's house is lighted up by solar while all your neighbours keep suffocating under the noise and smoke of fuel guzzling generators! grin
It goes to show how progressive minded you are. I disagree with those who say its because you have money-afterall the money was buying the fuel.
cool You have earned the medal of commander of the Green revolution(COGR) Congrats
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by GeorgeD1(m): 7:16pm On Aug 16, 2010
jujukemist:

It goes to show how progressive minded you are. I disagree with those who say its because you have money-afterall the money was buying the fuel.
cool You have earned the medal of commander of the Green revolution(COGR) Congrats

argggghh! next i'll be turning my sights on a green car like toyota prius - that is after settling madam's ride. talk of running a car on solar. that will be the day! smiley

Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by jujukemist(m): 5:01pm On Aug 22, 2010
George_D:

argggghh! next i'll be turning my sights on a green car like toyota prius - that is after settling madam's ride. talk of running a car on solar. that will be the day! smiley
that looks like a twin 200w solar module
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by beecrofty(m): 12:22pm On Aug 24, 2010
smiley
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 4:50pm On Aug 29, 2010
Alignments

We Ensure Our Cars Are in Top Shape before Delivery.
wink

Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by jot01(m): 5:18pm On Sep 05, 2010
@ Auto Inspire.
I need a space Bus for not more than 800k .

I visited your website to try and play around but its not working for me.

Pls keep in touch.

Cheers
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by inspiredm(m): 12:04am On Sep 06, 2010
jot01:

@ Auto Inspire.
I need a space Bus for not more than 800k .

I visited your website to try and play around but its not working for me.

Pls keep in touch.

Cheers

With 800k, you can get a Chrysler Voyager,

Chrylser Town & County

Ford Windster

mercury Villager

Dodge Caravan

You can send me an email via enquiries@BLOCKED or call me on 08023050886

Thanks
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by jot01(m): 12:26am On Sep 06, 2010
pls check ur inbox
Re: Geroge_D's 2006 Highlander + Mrs George_D's 2006 Toyota Matrix ( Pre ordered ) by vinchecks: 11:55am On Sep 10, 2010
wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

❎❎ FREE NMVTIS REPORTS, MILEAGE & FLOOD VIN/CHASSIS HISTORY CHECKS❎❎ / How To Export Cars From Usa? / Honda Bullet, Toyota Camry 1999 and 2000 Model, Mazda 626 e.t.c All For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.