Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,598 members, 7,851,028 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:23 PM

My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) (770 Views)

My Fears For Buhari’s Change Agenda - Olusegun Obasanjo / The Somalia You Don't Know (pics) / Press Statement By Buhari, GCFR, On The School Certificate Issue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by Imeobong(m): 2:35pm On Mar 07, 2010
Nigeria is witnessing an awful institutional collapse similar to the conditions that preceded the failure of Somalia, yet with all the potentials of being worse than the Somali experience.

Former Head of State, Maj-General Muhammadu Buhari (rtd.), painted this portrait of a troubled nation on Friday in Lagos, at the launch of a book, The Oguntade Legacy, a review of major judgements written by retiring Supreme Court Justice George Oguntade.

He said: “It is the Bar and the Bench that would save Nigeria.
“We are going through a constitutional collapse in Nigeria. In my own part of the country, people no longer go to the police when they are hurt. They say, ‘God dey,’” Buhari said.

Buhari referred to his previous comments about the “Somalisation of Nigeria,” and said it “should be taken seriously by the Nigerian elite.”
He compared the political composition of the elite in Somalia – prior to the failure of the state – to the political situation in Nigeria and explained that Somalia began its slide to abyss when the elite decided to run riot with the laws of the land and the popular will. This dangerous glide that began about 18 years ago has today earned Somalia the status of a failed state, he emphasised.
“I am warning the Nigerian elite through this medium to think very seriously. We are much more vulnerable than Somalia,” Buhari cautioned.

On his presence at the book launch chaired by former Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Alfa Belgore, and whose guest list looked like a Who’s Who of top Nigerian legal, political, and business luminaries, Buhari said, “I’m here to pay my respects to a person of conscience, Justice Oguntade.”

Referring to Oguntade as a thorough and fair-minded judge, the former Head of State said the judge and Justice Osifo “were giving us a lot of hope; when I say we, I mean the opposition.”
Speaking at the event, Retired Chief Justice of Nigeria, Alpha Belgore said the judiciary is the most stable arm of government in Nigeria and a means of gauging the pulse of the polity.

According to the former CJN, “Every human being has two arms. But our constitution is peculiar, it has three arms: the executive the legislature, and the judiciary. The first two really cry out to the public every time, ‘elect me, elect me’. The third one hasn’t got the mandate of the electorate at all, but it is the most stable, that is the judiciary. Because of that stability, if the country succeeds, it is because the judiciary is stable; if it is in turmoil, it is because the judiciary is unstable. Because of this, if the country should collapse, it may as well be due to the judiciary. The judiciary must be strong, resolute, honest, incorruptible and definite, in that order, I will say.

“If we have that, there will be a powerful judiciary.”
He expressed displeasure at the use of quota system to fill vacancies at the Supreme Court “That portion of belief in quota in the constitution should be expunged.

“I don’t mind where the Head of State would come from. But first and foremost, he must be honest, fearing God, and loving this country. So that if five of his ministers will come from one place, if they are the best people to run the country, so be it.”
Commenting on what he called Oguntade’s diligence on the Bench, Belgore said: “Even when you disagree with him, you will appreciate the industry he has put in his judgement.”

Top judicial officers that attended the book launch include Court of Appeal President, Justice Isa Ayo Salami; Supreme Court Justices Tabai and Ono-genn; Justice R.C. Agbo; Justice Gana Mshelia; Justice Bode Rose-Vivour; Justice P.A. Galinje; Justice Roseline Nwodo; Justice S.I. Sawawa; Justice Kekere Ekun and former Justice Minister, Chief Bola Ajibola (SAN).
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by kosovo(m): 2:46pm On Mar 07, 2010
My fears for Buhari.
Why won't these old men take a Break? angry
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by edoyad(m): 2:57pm On Mar 07, 2010
^ Did you just say he should take a break ? Have you looked around surroundings recently ? Do you know how calm the shore is before a Tsunami ?
If don't understand what He's saying you'll receive a rude awakening not too far from now. If you don't know What's happening better know that we've already slid past the precipice and are in need of a miracle to avoid cataclysmic disaster.
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by kosovo(m): 3:02pm On Mar 07, 2010
^^^^^
    i decipher the Nub which Buhari is talking about. But i still suggest he takes a break. Let him go to gym or sumtin,  i am completely tired of hearing the Noise of these people,
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by Beaf: 4:04pm On Mar 07, 2010
kosovo:

^^^^^
    i decipher the Nub which Buhari is talking about. But i still suggest he takes a break. Let him go to gym or sumtin,  i am completely tired of hearing the Noise of these people, 

Most of us simply can't see that Nigeria is on a beeline to the deepest hell. So, the embers that power the headlong dash are fanned by our comments and attitudes that dismiss the town cryer.
The "noise" Buhari is making is the warning before avoidable destruction.

You might rightly conclude that Buhari is 100% part of the cause of our current woes, but let us first make sure he is not coming from a selfish angle before dismissing him offhand. He is right that we face implosion; as for me, I don't even believe the 2011 elections will be possible.
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by Nobody: 4:09pm On Mar 07, 2010
I for one think that the North will become like Somalia and not the South.

Remember there is a distinction between Somali-land where there is relative peace and Somalia which is war torn.

Northern Nigeria is already in some ways worse than Somalia, in Somalia you hear of dozens killed while in Nigeria you hear of hundreds and sometimes thousands killed.
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by Beaf: 4:59pm On Mar 07, 2010
frosbel:

I for one think that the North will become like Somalia and not the South.

Remember there is a distinction between Somali-land where there is relative peace and Somalia which is war torn.

Northern Nigeria is already in some ways worse than Somalia, in Somalia you hear of dozens killed while in Nigeria you hear of hundreds and sometimes thousands killed.

My brother, this is a problem that will swallow the whole country. It is not just a Northern one, although it is looking more and more likely that the next civil war will be ignited by Middle Belt - North frictions.

I keep saying it, but 2011 looks a very dim prospect.
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by Nobody: 6:03pm On Mar 07, 2010
Beaf:

My brother, this is a problem that will swallow the whole country. It is not just a Northern one, although it is looking more and more likely that the next civil war will be ignited by Middle Belt - North frictions.

I keep saying it, but 2011 looks a very dim prospect.

In reality the so called leaders can come together to avert the future potential for horror by organising a referendum across the whole country to take the pulse of the nation and confirm if we want Nigeria to remain as one entity.

Based on the results of this referendum we can then make a proper decision that will appease all tribes and parties in the country.
Re: My Fears For Nigeria-By Buhari (The Somalia Experience) by AjanleKoko: 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2010
@Topic,
Nice one from Buhari.
After all, he did contribute his own quota to the ruin of the nation . . . a la Decree 4, and the total dismantling of the university system.

(1) (Reply)

How Police Personnel Raked In 9.35billion Naira From Roadblocks In The Southeast / Senators, Reps Lambast Obasanjo / Saraki Replies Akingbola Over Alleged N8.5billion Debt.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.