Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,837 members, 7,817,478 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 PM

Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka (6557 Views)

Ministerial List: Buhari Dumps 73 Nominees From States - The Sun / Obasanjo, A Liar, Economic Illiterate – Soyinka / Boko Haram Releases New Audio, Shekau Calls Chadian President A Hypocrite (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by mekusxxx: 6:29pm On Mar 07, 2010
Obasanjo A Hypocrite, Says Soyinka

FOR pontificating on current issues in the polity, former President Olusegun Obasanjo has earned an acerbic criticism from Nobel laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka.

Soyinka describes Obasanjo as a hypocrite, who has no moral standing on the prevailing political crisis in the country.

He said: ÒFirst of all, Mr. Olusegun Obasanjo is a hypocrite. He bears full responsibility for the situation in which we find ourselves today.

"And I donÕt take him seriously and that"s all I want to say about him."

Soyinka, in the forefront of the campaign by civil society groups to ensure the resignation of ailing President Umaru Yar'Adua and transfer of full powers to Acting President Goodluck Jonathan, was fielding questions from three Nigerian writers in Jaipur, India recently.

His comment was sought on the statement credited to Obasanjo, calling on YarÕAdua to resign and his (SoyinkaÕs) leading of protest marches in Nigeria and abroad to pressure YarÕAdua to respect the Nigerian Constitution.

According to Soyinka, Obasanjo, Òwho is now coming up to offer hypocritical hogwash," was among Nigeria leaders and political office holders, Òwho have nothing but contempt for the rest of society.

However, the Nobel laureate, who made a presentation at the Jaipur Literary Festival, said he was leading the political campaign in Nigeria so as to take the country back to the people.

"You should demand your nation back and donÕt just sit and watch it being degraded and expropriated by people who have absolutely no respect for you, no respect at all, even to their own,Ó he said.

He continued: ÒI didnÕt just lead the march to Abuja; I had been calling for marches. My last three lectures in Nigeria, I had been calling, trying to get Nigerians to wake up and seize their destiny in their hands and take their rightful place in the making.

"Rescue the nation from the cabal of reprobate gangsters, extortionists and even political murderers.

"Some of them are political murderers, political assassins responsible for some of the assassinations, the unprecedented scale of political assassinations weÕve witnessed in Nigeria in the last 10 years.

Soyinka said he had been asking Nigerians just how much they could take, stressing, "you (Nigerians) don"t even feel you are degraded as human beings to exist in such a community and you go about your work everyday.

"These were the themes of my lectures within Nigeria for quite a while.

"So, doing it, participating in that kind of march and ensuring that it worked was simply a continuation of something I had been saying for a long time.

"And all I have to say to you, all you people is; this nation is yours, this country is yours. You should demand; you should take it back by any legitimate means you are capable of.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by AndreUweh(m): 6:56pm On Mar 07, 2010
well said, prof.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by olafolarin(m): 9:19pm On Mar 07, 2010
OBJ is Not just an Hypocrite but the Greatest fraud in Nigeria's history.He created the present confusion in Nigerian politics right now because of His stupidity and ineptitude.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by Katsumoto: 9:47pm On Mar 07, 2010
olafolarin:

OBJ is Not just an Hypocrite but the Greatest fraud in Nigeria's history.He created the present confusion in Nigerian politics right now because of His stupidity and ineptitude.

It was more like dribbling himself into a deep hole.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by Nobody: 9:52pm On Mar 07, 2010
Funny how they are never in accord, even with the fact that they are from the same town
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by olafolarin(m): 10:12pm On Mar 07, 2010
ifedy:

Funny how they are never in accord, even with the fact that they are from the same town

My grandfather's village is the next after OBJ's.Everybody around the area despise OBJ because of his pride,lack of regard for societal norm and his posee against anything progressive.The 1999 Election is a true reflection of how people like Obj.He lost in front of his house,on his street, ward and local govt.That is the level of his popularity.
Soyinka on the other hand is one of the most popular sons of his town,relegating OBJ to a receding leprosy.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by rebranded(m): 12:10am On Mar 08, 2010
I agree with Soyinka, earlier Obasanjo said he had to hand over to the North, recently he said why should there be power rotation between the North and South. I believe he tried for Nigeria but he is sounding a confused old man, are you sure he is not 83 grin
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by mamagee3(f): 12:14am On Mar 08, 2010
And Soyinka is saying this now because?
He's the biggest Coward in Nigeria. . .
I mean he backed Obasanjo throughout his whole reign as president. . .
And now he's out, he slams him because he has no power to make him rot in jail
. grin
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by rebranded(m): 12:29am On Mar 08, 2010
mama-gee:

. grin

Do you just wake up and say anything, you dont have to always comment
pls go and read about save Nigeria group, instead of defaming a Nobel Laureate!
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by dayokanu(m): 12:33am On Mar 08, 2010
And now he's out, he slams him because he has no power to make him rot in jail.

This is the first time I am hearing Soyinka backed OBJ at any point in the last 30yrs Kindly expatiate on this
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by Katsumoto: 12:50am On Mar 08, 2010
mama-gee:

. grin

Please educate yourself before making unguarded and ill-informed utterances.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by mamagee3(f): 12:55am On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

This is the first time I am hearing Soyinka backed OBJ at any point in the last 30yrs Kindly  expatiate on this
You're hearing it now, bear that in mind. cool
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by dayokanu(m): 2:02am On Mar 08, 2010
You're hearing it now, bear that in mind.

Can you buttress your point that Soyinka supported OBJ while the latter was in power?
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by sjeezy8: 2:30am On Mar 08, 2010
yea obj is a hypocrite but all politicians are even Barack oloshiBAMA-

Soyinka means well but sometimes hes talkin bullshiot he PRAISES Barack Obama and American Govt but the same Barack Obama and American govt are asking IBB to run for presido in 2011.- and IBB is TEN times worse than OBJ.

so he should watch who he calls a hypocrite.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by bgees(m): 5:18am On Mar 08, 2010
mamagee= ignoramus
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by princekevo(m): 7:05am On Mar 08, 2010
Even a lil kids on the street knows OBJ is not just a hypocrite, but a big liar. He is one of the politician who believe diplomacy and polity is all abt being crooked, chameleon in nature and deceit. If at 73 an old man like him could still tell such a big lies, he is a disgrace to that age figure. Out of hypocrisy he gave out bakassi to Cameroon, out of hypocrisy he sold out Charles Taylor to the US, out hypocrisy he forced a half dead man as our leader and out of lies he openly denied knowing yaradua's health condition, b4 forcing him to Nigerians.

Thanks God we still got Honest old men like Soyinka who can still tell the truth even when it hurts. He is really a source of encouragement to many youth.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by jimrite: 7:27am On Mar 08, 2010
mama-gee:

. grin
I am sure you didn't know anything about Nigeria,pls go and update yourself from 1999 till date before you make any contribution concerning issues about this country.
dayokanu:

This is the first time I am hearing Soyinka backed OBJ at any point in the last 30yrs Kindly expatiate on this
I am just hearing it too for the first time.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by yemmight(m): 12:07pm On Mar 08, 2010
This Mama Gee your posts are always conflicting. May be if u have good backups or evidences it will have been another thing.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by revomind(m): 12:56pm On Mar 08, 2010
Saying Soyinka is a coward nd was OBJ's backer during his ill-fated tenure smacks of mischief and ignorance.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by Nobody: 1:22pm On Mar 08, 2010
mama-gee:

. grin
you must be very un-informed to have called soyinka a coward and if you may like to know,there was never a time soyinka supported obasanjo.olodo
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Mar 08, 2010
More people are now speaking out
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by sjeezy8: 4:47pm On Mar 08, 2010
princekevo:

Even a lil kids on the street knows OBJ is not just a hypocrite, but a big liar. He is one of the politician who believe diplomacy and polity is all abt being crooked, chameleon in nature and deceit. If at 73 an old man like him could still tell such a big lies, he is a disgrace to that age figure. Out of hypocrisy he gave out bakassi to Cameroon, out of hypocrisy he sold out Charles Taylor to the US, out hypocrisy he forced a half dead man as our leader and out of lies he openly denied knowing yaradua's health condition, b4 forcing him to Nigerians.

Thanks God we still got Honest old men like Soyinka who can still tell the truth even when it hurts. He is really a source of encouragement to many youth.

Obj is nothing and is only acting on behalf of america- Soyinka knows that so he should choose his words better.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by jamesyins(m): 5:18pm On Mar 08, 2010
I fully agree with you SIR
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by chosen04(f): 6:29pm On Mar 08, 2010
I can stand OBj's hypocrisy, but i cant stand his ''daughter-in-law cossying''.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by texazzpete(m): 6:34pm On Mar 08, 2010
sjeezy8:

Barack Obama and American govt are asking IBB to run for presido in 2011.-

And where did you get this from?
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by slap1(m): 8:04pm On Mar 08, 2010
Mamagee shud be consigned to the Romance section, that's where her senses actually come alive.
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by bgees(m): 8:05pm On Mar 08, 2010
slap1:

Mamagee shud be consigned to the Romance section, that's where her senses actually come alive.

true! grin grin
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by lukkie(m): 8:54pm On Mar 08, 2010
mama-gee:

. grin

Ignorance is a disease!
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by dayokanu(m): 9:00pm On Mar 08, 2010
Mama gee is a romance consultant. I think she was referring to the romantic life of OBJ vs Soyinka
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 08, 2010
dayokanu:

Mama gee is a romance consultant. I think she was referring to the romantic life of OBJ vs Soyinka
slap1:

rotflmfao
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by lewa(m): 9:18pm On Mar 08, 2010
And Soyinka is saying this now because? Huh Huh
And now he's out, he slams him because he has no power to make him rot in jail. Grin
Ma'am please burden of proof
Re: Obasanjo A Hypocrite (at 73), Says Soyinka by 1luvkipsus: 9:29pm On Mar 08, 2010
One Love!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nitel: Fg Brainstorms On Globacom's Offer / Osun Decides: Mammoth Crowd Welcome Omisore To Ede Community(picture) / Channels Tv Shows Off The Correct Figures Of Imo State Election !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.