Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:22 PM

How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice (10328 Views)

Hiring;yhs Consulting To Resume Immediately! / Undertaking For 3 Month Notice Before Resignation / Why Must Employees Give A Month Notice Of Resignations But Companies Don't? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by ceenote: 8:10am On Oct 04, 2017
OP, while it is good to be a team member, you must also learn to do what is best for you. Will your current employer give you enough notice when it's time to lay you off? My guess is no.

Learn from the experience and move on.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by slapandfall(m): 8:12am On Oct 04, 2017
It looks a dicey situation.

However, when you are offered a job, always read the contract/offer letter very well before signing. I understand that the enthusiasm and "Previous frustrations" may give us the feeling of.. "abeg make i sign jare.. all these terms/conditions things na nonsense".

When you go for another interview when still with your current company, have at the back of your mind the terms of resignation/termination you signed with your current company". Some companies will state 1 month notice, some 3 month notice.. some will make it vague by saying termination of either party must comply with labour law or one kind law like that".

In-order not to put your self in troubles because even when you get the new job, they may likely ask your previous company for referrals or verification and if you didnot "close the door" nicely in your previous job, you may regret it.

In summary, always say the truth.. if your current job says 3 months notice, tell this to your employer HR providing you the new job. Tell them the condition and of-course they may negotiate. "That is, if you really have value".. otherwise, OYO. and that is the bitter truth.. Your previous company may ask you to Pay off if you are not fulfilling the terms of the contract. Like mine, i paid 2 million naira.. crazy right..

Other times, your new company may even offer to help you pay and you will "if lucky" conveniently pay them back or may not pay them back.

HRs understand what it is to leave a current job afterall even the current people in the company left previous jobs to come there even the MD of the company self.. so, be truthful and stay with the terms you signed or you may Pay off.

PROFESSIONALLY, YOU COULD TELL THE NEW COMPANY THIS LINE WHICH IS MY FAVOURITE.."Currently in position with the company i presently work, i am handling critical projects that require proper handing over so i don't disrupt the goals of the company and the project. Also, the company has provided me with a good platform that has brought me this far, hence i may need 3months as stated in my contract to bring other members up-to speed with the updates of this project and enable them continue without them needing my necessary attention when i leave. This will enable me focus better in this new job you are offering me".

My opinion though

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by deeozi(m): 8:15am On Oct 04, 2017
It depends on The company like most people have said. I worked in a company where I stood out as The Best among The teamlead with records published weekly and monthly.My contract was terminated without any excuse, no fault to point to but because nepotism and regional managers are need loyalist with whom they can do racket. When I contacted the HR manager and explain that you can not terminate AN employment like that after I have been confirm staff, he just qoute a law that just like I can terminate My contract with them abruptly so they too.
So for me take critical look at your employer and know The right decision to take.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by ceenote: 8:15am On Oct 04, 2017
Florblu:
No good company will expect you to resume immediately provided they know you are working in a place before attending the interview.

Moreover the question"how soon can you resume" is a general question during interview which do not mean you will or will not be consider for the job. If you didn't get a response from them it might not be because you can't resume immediately except it was stated in the advert that they need someone who can resume immediately.

I agree.
If this company was serious about hiring OP, they'd wait for OP to resume in few weeks time.
I once had an employmemy offer in January and didn't resume till March because I needed to wrap up my project at the work place. More importantly, I was holding off to get my annual bonus.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by stynhaq(m): 8:34am On Oct 04, 2017
marjo:
No serious organisation will truly expect you to start immediately. at certain levels of job authority /responsibility it would be expected that you need to clear your desk and tidy loose ends. next time ask when they want you to resume and if you can't, explain why. I personally am not impressed by the "I can resume immediately " response. I believe in leaving on a clean slate even if I don't work my full notice I will try to clear as much as I can and leave a comprehensive handover document. ironically the same organisation will now want to call your previous organisation for reference checks!

That's excellent response. My CIO told me that if he tells you to resume immediately when you have a current role and you consent, then you would make a bad manager.

You need make them know you want to properly hand over, except if you're disgruntled.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by princetom1(m): 8:45am On Oct 04, 2017
budymore18:

Thanks for the complement, I appreciate. We are all going to celebrate and enjoy divine testimonies IJN. Amen!!!!

Was the interviewer aware why you asked for 2 weeks?
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Nobody: 9:54am On Oct 04, 2017
This issue is presently being discussed on Nigeria info 99.3 fm ...radio station
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Nobody: 10:16am On Oct 04, 2017
Most contract will have a 30days notice or forfeiture of one month salary. If you feel you can't wait, then you can forfeit your salary and resume in the other place..

And just to be clear, the reason you were not successful was not because of the notice period. It might be qualifications, interview performance, better candidates etc.. But never because of notice period.

Because most recruiters ask that question last it is often one of the last things we remember, and questions like ; when are you available to resume, what is your expected salary, Do you have any contract with your current employer that will affect your transition etc... Makes you believe that you already did well in the interview and they are making an offer, but this is totally not true, they are just templates and every applicant is asked the same thing.. It helps the employer in making split decisions when they have two close candidates for same role, but they do not mean you have done well in the interview. If a company feels you are most suited for the role, a one month notice isn't a problem,,after all the role may have been vacant while the recruitment process was on going.
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by mobosteve: 10:34am On Oct 04, 2017
Some companies won't give you the leverage to resign properly. They may need you asap. Bro use your head. Some opportunities don't come twice. Accept the employment and start shaperly. You can resign physically or online. Either way never miss a life changing pportunity base on fear or loyalty.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by lizzygrace(f): 10:42am On Oct 04, 2017
I have not yet receive email from my Last interview..
Still worried here
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Koses(m): 10:54am On Oct 04, 2017
As rightly said - a reasonable hiring Manager will not against a proper and official disengagement with your current employee because they are professional enough to understanding the sensitivity of your current role in the organisation.

I also got a job offer, even though they wished i could join them immediately but i told them to give me a month availability so that i can begin the process of resignation from my current employer and they did.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Humbleamanda(f): 12:17pm On Oct 04, 2017
Good day my lovely people, please i need a Microbiologist job in a pharmaceutical Company in Lagos. I have been working with a pharmaceutical company for 4 years in East, got married in June this year and relocate to Lagos where my hubby resides. I will be very grateful if i should get the job info. Reach me via humbleamandab@yahoo.com
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Ejomax77(m): 3:02pm On Oct 04, 2017
braine:
Companies owe you no loyalty. You trying to be loyal to your current company is one of the biggest career mistake one can make. Your currently company doesn't care about you or owe you any loyalty despite whatever/however your manager or boss makes you feel.
yeah! it's true that they don't owe you any loyalty but it's best if you leave the company in good terms.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 5:27pm On Oct 04, 2017
rychard:

And just to be clear, the reason you were not successful was not because of the notice period. It might be qualifications, interview performance, better candidates etc.. But never because of notice period.
Hahaha cheesy You sound so sure like you're the HR person in question. First interview was a panel, 2nd with MD. Then I get a telephone call asking when I can resume, yet you're saying it's not because of notice. They want someone who will resume immediately... simple! Question is; how will you answer that question?
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by 400billionman: 6:05pm On Oct 04, 2017
nenergy:
Employers want you to give 1 month notice (or at least 2 weeks) before resigning, yet recruiters want you to resume immediately.

I think I lost a job with a top logistics (Top 5) firm because I ask for 2 weeks to disengage properly.

She ask; "How soon can you resume"? " Two weeks", I replied. She said; " I'll get back to you" and I've not heard from her since. Line isn't available whenever I call.

It will be unfair and unethical to desert my current role abruptly.

I'm really hurt. How do you reconcile this?

Any company that wants you will give you an offer of employment letter. And that letter will be post dated by at least 1 month.

This is the norm.

They are not ready for you.

1 Like

Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2017
nenergy:

Hahaha cheesy You sound so sure like you're the HR person in question. First interview was a panel, 2nd with MD. Then I get a telephone call asking when I can resume, yet you're saying it's not because of notice. They want someone who will resume immediately... simple! Question is; how will you answer that question?

Don't be deceitful , if you must quote me, then you should show the whole statement I made, how can you delete some of my comments and show the ones that suits you.. This is shady..

To answer your question, how could you assume that you were the only person who met with the panel and the MD, or you think they will resume the recruitment process all over again because you are not available to resume immediately, no they won't, they simply go to the best suited Candidate pool and pick from there...

Do a simple poll to find out from applicants how many times they were asked when they could resume. You'll discover that nearly 80% were asked , irrespective of whether they got the job or not..
Re: How To Deal With Resume Immediately Vs 1 Month Notice by nenergy(m): 7:24pm On Oct 04, 2017
rychard:

Don't be deceitful , if you must quote me, then you should show the whole statement I made, how can you delete some of my comments and show the ones that suits you.. This is shady..

To answer your question, how could you assume that you were the only person who met with the panel and the MD, or you think they will resume the recruitment process all over again because you are not available to resume immediately, no they won't, they simply go to the best suited Candidate pool and pick from there...

Do a simple poll to find out from applicants how many times they were asked when they could resume. You'll discover that nearly 80% were asked , irrespective of whether they got the job or not..

There you go again talking so strongly like you were there or you're the recruiter in question. I never said I was the only one interviewed. They were filling slots for positions in various departments The question as to when I can resume wasn't asked at the interview but weeks later. What does that tell you? It was a deciding criteria. HRM in Nigeria is generally poor safe for multinationals.

As to why I deleted parts of your comment, I wanted to highlight just that part. I tried making it bold, but the code was messing up the reply.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ipnx Nigeria Limited Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment (19 Positions) / ICS LTD Aptitude Test And Interview / Spar Nigeria Massive Recruitment 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.