Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate (22348 Views)

PDP leaders protest at EU, French embassies / Nigerian Embassies In USA And China Have Not Updated Their Websites in Years / Polls: FG Puts Embassies, Diplomats Under Watch Over PVT (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by lightblazingnow(m): 8:19am On Oct 04, 2017
Nigerian embassies facing threats from host countries —Senate
vanguardngr.com

…Says building permits to be revoked
…Rents for embassy staff not paid

ABUJA—THE Senate, yesterday, raised the alarm that the nation’s diplomatic missions were facing challenges of inability to pay home-based officers allowances, local staff salaries, rent for residences, chanceries and other staff official quarters.

According to the Senate, with these myriad of issues and financial woes, the collective and corporate image of Nigeria is suffering at the moment, thereby resulting in the loss of prestige and influence in the comity of nations.

It, however, vowed to come up with ways to fix what it described as total mess and embarrassment to the country.

The resolution of the Senate was sequel to a motion by Tijjani Yahaya Kaura (APC, Zamfara North), entitled: “The urgent need for the Federal Government of Nigeria to fund our Foreign Missions.”

The senators, who painted a gloomy picture of Nigerian diplomatic missions, said there was also paucity of funds for other sundry expenses, adding that there were threats by host countries to revoke building permits of some property belonging to Nigerian missions.

The threat of revocation of the permits was said to have been informed by the buildings’ poor structural conditions, which constituted hazard to the communities they were located.

Presenting the motion, Kaura said: “The Senate notes that Nigerian diplomatic missions are facing several challenges, including their inability to pay home-based officers allowances, local staff salaries, rent for residences, chanceries and other staff official quarters, in addition to the dire lack of funds for other sundry expenses such as visits to Nigerians in jail and provision for other consular services.

“It regrets that there are threats by host countries to revoke building permits of some property abroad belonging to Nigerian missions, following their poor structural conditions, which constitute hazard to the communities where such buildings are situated, and lack of routine maintenance that will bring such structures in line with the building codes of host countries.”

“It further regrets that the Ministry’s budget envelope is grossly inadequate to meet its expenditure requirements, even at headquarters and with this situational analysis, the ministry’s approved 2017 budget would hardly provide the needed impetus required to achieve Nigeria’s foreign policy goal and objectives in pursuance of our national interest;

“Consequent upon these myriad of issues and financial woes, the collective and corporate image of Nigeria suffers, resulting in the loss of prestige and influence in the comity of nations.

“The Senate is worried that some of these problems arise as a result of over staffing in our foreign missions; following our flagrant refusal to comply with the provisions of the presidential ceiling of the staff strength of individual missions based on the Ministry’s grading.”

At the end of deliberations, the only recommendation that the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Mr Geoffrey Onyema, Minister of Finance Mrs Kemi Adeosun and the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr Godwin Emefiele be summoned to brief the Senate on the poor condition of foreign missions, was thrown out.

Instead, the senators resolved to set up an adhoc committee to engage the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, ambassadors, high commissioners, Charge d’ Affairs, other stakeholders and come up with possible ways of addressing the problem raised in the motion.

Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has not announced the composition of the committee.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/nigerian-embassies-facing-threats-host-countries-senate/amp/

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by lightblazingnow(m): 8:19am On Oct 04, 2017
Don't look down on anyone, there is this Mighty right hand who is invisible and unreachable, who lifts up the humble and resist the proud.

Keep working on yourself, the opportunity will surely come. It doesn't matter how long, it will surely get to you if you are still there

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by speedyGonzales: 8:40am On Oct 04, 2017
The current cow f***kers in-charge, believe practical work can be replaced with propaganda, well to some extend they were right... Nigerian have been gullible this far.
Nigerians, once a fool, always a fool, I suppose...

82 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by bedspread: 8:51am On Oct 04, 2017
MY GOD WHO DID THIS TO NIGERIA
This is a Real Huge Embarassment...

TO be Sincere,I am Gradually beginning to See some Reasoning in this guy's dt talked about a Real and Fake PMB....

One fact I am sure of is That it must be Good For Nigeria and Nigerians

38 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by juman(m): 9:00am On Oct 04, 2017
bedspread:
MY GOD WHO DID THIS TO NIGERIA
This is a Real Huge Embarassment...

TO be Sincere,I am Gradually beginning to See some Reasoning in this guy's dt talked about a Real and Fake PMB....

One fact I am sure of is That it must be Good For Nigeria and Nigerians

One Nigeria is the beginning and end of the problems.

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by RareDiamond: 9:02am On Oct 04, 2017
Stup1d APC government of change. A government that does not see the importance in funding and maintaining it's embassies but will not hesitate to fund and order its senseless, incompetent and human rights abusing army to kill, injure and destroy innocent lives and properties of its citizens. It will not be well with Buhari.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Cinkq: 9:02am On Oct 04, 2017
Every country has its own problems just as every family has its own challenges.

Recently close to 1000 US diplomats in Russia were sent home.
I can even count more than 20 european countries with more serious problems and challenges than Nigeria .

I don't know why some people tend to rejoice whenever there is uninspiring News about Nigeria?

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Bede2u(m): 9:12am On Oct 04, 2017
Like if you think Nigeria is not likely to work..... share if u feel it would still work.... drop your reason for each choice by mentioning me

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by freeze001(f): 9:26am On Oct 04, 2017
Very good!

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by dlondonbadboy: 9:53am On Oct 04, 2017
Nigeria has long expired...Human beings should know this by now..

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by limeta(f): 9:58am On Oct 04, 2017
Cinkq:

I can even count more than 20 european countries with more serious problems and challenges than Nigeria .

I don't know why some people tend to rejoice whenever there is uninspiring News about Nigeria?

Why are you telling us about U S
What is talked about up there can never happen to Usa diplomats
You sold yr soul to the devil 've you

74 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by dlondonbadboy: 9:58am On Oct 04, 2017
One fool on this thread is talking about every nation having its respective challenge....this would have made sense if not for the fact that Nothing works in this zoo. Name one thing that is working in the colony called Nigeria?

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by anibi9674: 9:58am On Oct 04, 2017
Nigeria one day one problem country.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 04, 2017
Cinkq:

...they were sent home on issues bordering on diplomacy not for mundane,corrupt and gross irresponsibility as this...@topic...the heads of these respective foreign missions should be recalled and the Minister for foreign affairs should answer for this madness.

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by lightblazingnow(m): 10:49am On Oct 04, 2017
What were you all waiting for
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Cinkq: 11:17am On Oct 04, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
...they were sent home on issues bordering on diplomacy not for mundane,corrupt and gross irresponsibility as this...@topic...the heads of these respective foreign missions should be recalled and the Minister for foreign affairs should answer for this madness.
They were expelled due to tension between the two countries, and that was a form of challenge to the US.
My point is no country without its problems.

Let me ask you a question and i need answer.

Do you agree with the post of one IDOTIC ANIMAL above who thinks nothing at all is working in Nigeria?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Cinkq: 11:19am On Oct 04, 2017
BlaqCoffee109:
They were expelled due to tension between the two countries, and that was a form of challenge to the US.
My point is no country without its problems.

Let me ask you a question and i need answer.

Do you agree with the post of one IDOTIC FOOLISH ANIMAL on this thread that says nothing at all is working in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by nototribalist: 11:23am On Oct 04, 2017
The way Nigeria is structured, even Obama will fail. Nigeria is the only country in the world that tie their states from tapping resources to boost the economy. They want the states to be begging for money every month. This is pure wickedness that will soon end . When the whole world won't want crude oil again. Na that time we go regret our actions today

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Fidelismaria: 11:24am On Oct 04, 2017
blame buhari
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by NigerDeltan(m): 11:28am On Oct 04, 2017
grin
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Derekethan1: 11:28am On Oct 04, 2017
I am the next president
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Odioko1(m): 11:29am On Oct 04, 2017
K
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Ngene44: 11:30am On Oct 04, 2017
Today is my birthday, all the Afonjas and tribal bigots please wish me a happy birthday by clicking like and by saying no to tribalism. Nigeria or Africa will never grow like this. Those from Wales don't hate those from Scotland.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by morikee: 11:30am On Oct 04, 2017
Despacito
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by hobermener: 11:32am On Oct 04, 2017
R
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Eazybay(m): 11:33am On Oct 04, 2017
Sad
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by jashar(f): 11:34am On Oct 04, 2017
when Nigerians don't respect themselves, do they expect foreigners to respect them?
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by don4real18(m): 11:35am On Oct 04, 2017
K
Re: Nigerian Embassies Facing Threats From Host Countries —senate by Integrityfarms(m): 11:35am On Oct 04, 2017
Buhari is a catalyst for international disgrace...

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Impeachment: Oshiomhole Dangles Automatic Ticket- Independe / South Africa Returns Seized $15m To Nigeria / IBB Has Been Our Pillar Of Support - Abiola's Family!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.