Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,977 members, 7,814,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? (3673 Views)

Falling Naira… Complain Or Invest? / Should I Buy A Land Or Invest In Business?... Your Advice Counts / Should I Get A Canadian Visa For 600k Or Invest 1.5m In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by beejaei: 2:58am On Mar 08, 2010
Hello All,

I am a student in one of the American cities. The bus system in my city is pretty poor and I usually spend an average of one-and-a-half hours on the rod for a distance of about 14 miles (the distance from Ojuelegba to Ikeja). I have to ago to my internship from school about 3 times a week and I have had to stay on the road for close to 3 hours (to and fro), catching and leaving buses, for almost 9 months. I have almost $4000 and towards the end of the year, I should have $10,000, if my plans come to fruition. When I came here initially, I believed a car was above me and that I really did not need it. But I guess since I have had to interact with people who have cars, and who by and large have the Nigerian big-boy-we-must-enjoy-life mentality, I started to consider getting a car few months back. So, in essence, my plans to get a car is as equally inspired by the need to get around more conveniently and the need to prove levels in school, which may not be a good reason I guess. The problem is I talked to one of my professors recently and he told me about how it is unwise to get a car as a student and how I should endure the terrible bus system and save and invest my money. Basically he was saying that the cost of maintenance of a car and the costs of things like insurance etc was not a wise burden for a student to take on. Since I may stop my internship before I can get a car and basically work on campus, I feel like when I get a car it will be under-utilized and will therefore be a bad decision. I believe I can cut on the costs of insurance by buying a cheap car, but then I also feel that will rob me of the prestige and satisfaction I should get from buying a car. Besides the cheaper/older the car, the more likely it is that I will need constant visits to the mechanic, something I cannot afford to do as a student, both in terms of money an d time. I will have to go to places form time to time if I get a car and stop my internship. But I am not just sure if the pleasure and comfort of buying a car outweighs the potential rewards of investing my money for the future. I need your well thought-out advices.

Thanks
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by magragold(m): 9:50pm On Mar 09, 2010
A car is not an asset, neither is it an investment vehicle! Why do you want to eat your seed by turning it to bread?

Please look for a shrewd way to invest your money, all the best!
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by LateefO(m): 8:33pm On Mar 10, 2010
Dear beejeai,
How are you doing? Guess cool. Well to respond to your question.
My own submission is that you don't need to buy a car now because by all standard a car in no by anyway an asset but rather a liability (it losses 30% of its value immediately after purchase) which is not worth it at this stage of your life (Remember you will need regular operation and maintenance fee, fuel and other services). Fine you might want to prove big boy, it is not only by having a car that you can prove that, moreover you will keep running after different things all in the name of big boy, and these friends of yours will only lead you to nowhere.

My father do say this "Save now so that you shall be Saved latter", "Work now so that you will not work latter", "Suffer now so that you will not suffer latter". These are words for the wise.

It is better you invest your money, it is an asset and when the time comes that you need the car you will have no option than to go get it (you won't even have to ask of people's opinion by then). When you invest it's a seed, the grains from it will also produce another one (in compound investment) and their own seed bears another seed. Meaning that you can even by a car from the gains of your investment while your money still remains intact.

Manage to live the life as it is now and you shall enjoy latter.

Hope this helps.

I care,
Lateef (Online Business Expert)
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by abidex008(m): 9:20pm On Mar 11, 2010
U dont need anybody to tell you this.After buying a car with virtually all the money you have,you're gonna need money to maintain it.Use your head man and do something more rational with your money.
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by masido(f): 6:12pm On Mar 14, 2010
@poster, you know the right thing to do.
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by beejaei: 6:36am On Mar 15, 2010
@masido

na by force to talk/type? abi dem swear give u chop? Oloshi.
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by okenwa(m): 12:17pm On Mar 15, 2010
poster
to marry is not the problem;but life after marriage; if you buy a ride now/what about aintenaning it pls buy a land shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by ITHacker: 12:36pm On May 24, 2013
Hey Guys, today i bought from shopcvv they scammed me, but not worries i got new good site i bought 50+ ccs all high balance and their fullz are amazing, site is bankebuy.com
Re: Do I Buy A Car or Invest With The Money? by gerald2(m): 2:49pm On May 24, 2013
My fiance would always say that buying a new car is like marrying a new wife because you must care for every problem the car develops. So ask your self this, what do you really need the car for, just to show off Just to prove to ladies you are worth more than a guy My dear, you don't need to prove to anybody that you are a big boy, what you are tells who you are.Simple!!! You should suffer the stress that comes been a student without a car, I understand that's another point of having it but if you invest that your money wisely, I bet you few years from now you should be able to get for your self brand new car not fairly used. Use the power of compound investment and make your dream of a car come through.

(1) (Reply)

20 Small Businesses You Can Start With Little Or No Capital / Customs Generated N239.4bn Revenue In First Quarter / Why Is Elon Musk Not Regarded As The Richest Man In Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.