Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Car And Health - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Car And Health (724 Views)

Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Banana For Skin, Hair And Health. / Why The Professional Rivalry And Disharmony Among Medical And Health Workers? / Why The Professional Rivalry And Disharmony Among Medical And Health Workers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Car And Health by beejaei: 2:59am On Mar 08, 2010
Hello All,

I am a student in one of the American cities. The bus system in my city is pretty poor and I usually spend an average of one-and-a-half hours on the rod for a distance of about 14 miles (the distance from Ojuelegba to Ikeja). I have to ago to my internship from school about 3 times a week and I have had to stay on the road for close to 3 hours (to and fro), catching and leaving buses, for almost 9 months. I have almost $4000 and towards the end of the year, I should have $10,000, if my plans come to fruition. When I came here initially, I believed a car was above me and that I really did not need it. But I guess since I have had to interact with people who have cars, and who by and large have the Nigerian big-boy-we-must-enjoy-life mentality, I started to consider getting a car few months back. So, in essence, my plans to get a car is as equally inspired by the need to get around more conveniently and the need to prove levels in school, which may not be a good reason I guess. The problem is I talked to one of my professors recently and he told me about how it is unwise to get a car as a student and how I should endure the terrible bus system and save and invest my money. Basically he was saying that the cost of maintenance of a car and the costs of things like insurance etc was not a wise burden for a student to take on. Since I may stop my internship before I can get a car and basically work on campus, I feel like when I get a car it will be under-utilized and will therefore be a bad decision. I believe I can cut on the costs of insurance by buying a cheap car, but then I also feel that will rob me of the prestige and satisfaction I should get from buying a car. Besides the cheaper/older the car, the more likely it is that I will need constant visits to the mechanic, something I cannot afford to do as a student, both in terms of money an d time. I will have to go to places form time to time if I get a car and stop my internship. But I am not just sure if the pleasure and comfort of buying a car outweighs the potential rewards of investing my money for the future. I need your well thought-out advices.

Thanks
Re: Car And Health by Sissy3(f): 3:35am On Mar 10, 2010
shoulda posted it in the auto section.

anyways, your  professor made a very important point. you have to consider the benefits of having a car and its burden on you as a student.  if you do work part time, will the money you make be enough to cover insurance costs, bills at home, food, your personal maintenance, gas? what about the cost of the car you plan to purchase? the monthly payments? all this you have into consideration.

leave off this "big boy" mentality for now, cos if join the "big boy" club, you will definitely shrink financially especially as a student. which will be Double whammy for you. maybe after your internship/ when you get a better job, at least you can consider getting a cheap car that will take you from point A to B until you are well equipped financially.

i'did you continue managing until you are financially independent. continue saving, you will eventually enjoy/join the "big DANG club" not even the "big boys club" it can be a little Intimidating /embarrassing when 'em big boys pose around with their cars, but at least you are focused, you have a plan, you will eventually get there but not now. Good luck
Re: Car And Health by beejaei: 6:34am On Mar 15, 2010
Thanks for the advice and the lack of insults (the average nairalnader way). I need more perspectives please.

(1) (Reply)

Gnld Food Supplement Therapy / make money @Internet Science Club Of Nigeria {iscn} Calling / Searching For "Tea Sac" Like Lipton Tea Sac

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.