Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,373 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

My Car Is Acting Funny. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Is Acting Funny. (1756 Views)

Help My 2004 Toyota Camry Is Acting Funny / What Car Is The Most Popular For Women In Nigeria? / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 11:48am On Oct 04, 2017
good morning all.. please, my Nissan primera stops while driving, let's say after about 2km, when I opened d burnet to check, I observed the radiator got extremely hot, when I allow it cool and open d radiator cover, the water was still filled but very hot.
after leaving the car for about an hour, it will.move another few km and stop again. the radiator fan is working.
my mechanic doesn't sound convincing about what the.issue is. I'm. confused myself. don't know if that's overheating or something related.
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by gmajor10(m): 11:55am On Oct 04, 2017
Oga run a scan on your vehicle, I'm sure your service engine soon light is on.
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 12:09pm On Oct 04, 2017
gmajor10:
Oga run a scan on your vehicle, I'm sure your service engine soon light is on.
Shey Dem dey scam old model car ni?

it's a 1990 primera o.
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by gmajor10(m): 12:38pm On Oct 04, 2017
justifiedcoyy:
Shey Dem dey scam old model car ni?

it's a 1990 primera o.

Oh now I see.... 27 years old car and you say make problem no arise like this. Oga I give up... .. Change mechanic or check online.
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by AutoElectNG: 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2017
justifiedcoyy:
good morning all.. please, my Nissan primera stops while driving, let's say after about 2km, when I opened d burnet to check, I observed the radiator got extremely hot, when I allow it cool and open d radiator cover, the water was still filled but very hot.
after leaving the car for about an hour, it will.move another few km and stop again. the radiator fan is working.

my mechanic doesn't sound convincing about what the.issue is. I'm. confused myself. don't know if that's overheating or something related.

What does your mechanic say the issue is?

As for the stopping, most vehicles if not all are designed to switch themselves off if it overheats beyond a certain threshold

Did he say you should replace the water pump?

Investigate the entire cooling system - the fault lies therein - prime suspect failing or failed water pump, physical inspection by a competent techie recommended

If you want to understand the cooling system and what the techie is going to do, read up here http://www.carparts.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 4:13pm On Oct 04, 2017
gmajor10:

Oh now I see.... 27 years old car and you say make problem no arise like this. Oga I give up... .. Change mechanic or check online.
I never get money to buy 1year old car ni.

thanks for your suggestions
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 4:14pm On Oct 04, 2017
AutoElectNG:

What does your mechanic say the issue is?

As for the stopping, most vehicles if not all are designed to switch themselves off if it overheats beyond a certain threshold

Did he say you should replace the water pump?

Investigate the entire cooling system - the fault lies therein - prime suspect failing or failed water pump, physical inspection by a competent techie recommended

If you want to understand the cooling system and what the techie is going to do, read up here http://www.carparts.com/classroom/coolingsystem.htm
thank you brother. he said we should wash the radiator and see what happens. thanks for your time
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by AutoElectNG: 5:26pm On Oct 04, 2017
justifiedcoyy:
thank you brother. he said we should wash the radiator and see what happens. thanks for your time

If the entire radiator is caked in mud, or a significant section is caked with mud, then doing as he suggests would make a difference.

If that is not the case, I doubt that doing so will solve your problem.

Coolant is what cools the vehicle - (it absorbs the heat from the engine), the radiator is a heat exchanger - (transferring the heat from the coolant to the air), so the coolant can go back and absorb even more heat, what is more to do an effective job, the coolant is pressurized.

Stagnant coolant cannot cool the vehicle

Your fans work you say, do they cycle on and off?

Got a thermostat?

Me thinks of looking in the direction of the coolant; its ability to move around to bring down the heat; as well as whether the system is pressurized aka the radiator cap

All the same report the situation when he does as he has recommended
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by autologic: 5:39pm On Oct 04, 2017
How often do u top up the radiator water ?
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by gmajor10(m): 9:17pm On Oct 04, 2017
Please leave my brother alone with this car, he's blessings is close at hand and he will buy another car before the end of the month.
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by sultaan(m): 9:27pm On Oct 04, 2017
You never mention where the needle of you temperature gauge is when driving if it gets to the red mark your car might stop working from overheating check your temperature and report back
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 8:05am On Oct 08, 2017
AutoElectNG:

If the entire radiator is caked in mud, or a significant section is caked with mud, then doing as he suggests would make a difference.

If that is not the case, I doubt that doing so will solve your problem.

Coolant is what cools the vehicle - (it absorbs the heat from the engine), the radiator is a heat exchanger - (transferring the heat from the coolant to the air), so the coolant can go back and absorb even more heat, what is more to do an effective job, the coolant is pressurized.

Stagnant coolant cannot cool the vehicle

Your fans work you say, do they cycle on and off?

Got a thermostat?

Me thinks of looking in the direction of the coolant; its ability to move around to bring down the heat; as well as whether the system is pressurized aka the radiator cap

All the same report the situation when he does as he has recommended
Thank you for your suggestion which helped while explaining to the mechanic.

it turned out that it wasn't overheating but the ignition was bad, d temperature level didn't reach d "half mark" before d car would stop.
we changed the ignition and it's been working fine since then.
I guess I was just panicking cos I once had an issue with overheating. thanks a lot
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 8:06am On Oct 08, 2017
sultaan:
You never mention where the needle of you temperature gauge is when driving if it gets to the red mark your car might stop working from overheating check your temperature and report back
it wasn't overheating bro. thanks

it was the ignition that had an issue.. we changed it and it's been working fine since.
Re: My Car Is Acting Funny. by justifiedcoyy(m): 8:06am On Oct 08, 2017
gmajor10:
Please leave my brother alone with this car, he's blessings is close at hand and he will buy another car before the end of the month.
Amen o.

God bless you too

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What Is This Vehicle Part Called? / Honda Accord 2005 (EOD) Scanning Result Pls Help Me Out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! / Chinese Company Unveiled An Exact Copy Of Range Rover Envogue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.