|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,693,384 members, 6,347,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 June 2021 at 12:12 AM
|Quick Tips For Jamb English Questions by Vanmatrix(m): 1:49pm On Oct 04, 2017|
Just a little FYI for your examination.
Here are some quick tips you should have in mind when you are about to write your Jamb English paper.
Gerunds (-ing verbs)
1. Occur as subject/object of a verb
1. Playing lawn tennis was one of his hobby.
2. The doctor advised him to stop
3. Eating regularly keeps you healthy.
2. Preceded by possessive adjective (my, his, her) or possessive noun.
1. I didn't understand his behaving like that.
2. Please excuse my going to bed.
3. Prevent and Stop + Object + Gerund
1. I prevented him from going.
4. Make and Had better without to
1. The man made John confess.
2. I thought I'd warn you.
In emphatic stress, the answer is usually the option without the stress word (word in caps) .
Lambusa TOOK OFF the wig.
(a) did Lambusa take of the wig?
(b) who took off the wig?
(c) what did Lambusa do.
Ans= C (without take/took off).
Use of Apostophe [']
['s] is added to:
1. Singular noun, (boy's car).
2. Last part of compound/group names (brothers-in-law's, mother-in-law's, May & Baker's, new year's day).
3. Plural nouns that don't end with (s) (children's clinic, women's talk).
4. Possessive indefinite pronons (one's, somebody else's, someone else's).
5. Noun that end in (s) e.g. Charles's, Jos's, James's - except ancient names - Jesus', Moses' Achimedes'.
6. Only ['] for plural words (boys' cars). It's wrong to add apostrophe in yours, his, hers, ours, theirs.
1. That car of his (not that his car) ,
2. This land is theirs (not this land is theirs')
3. yours faithfully.
Use Of "On"
For bed - relaxing, time - exact (right on time), flat surface, transport, slap-face.
Use Of "In"
enclosed place, large/popular city, clothes on, slap - metaphor, time - early/a bit late, bed - asleep, arm chairs, gunshot/head, begining / end of story.
Use Of "At"
place seen as point of target/meeting, when a place is not final destination, specific time, small city or place in a big city, night - regular action, precided at, villages, outskirts & satelite houses.
1. Collective nouns (congregation) & Plural words like any, everybody, each, everything, everyone takes singular verbs. E.g Everybody (is) here.
2. Subjects joined with (and) takes plural verbs except food and units of currencies which takes singular verbs.
the man & his wife (are) here.
rice and stew (is) sweet.
3. When joined by (or), it is determined by the subject after (or).
The boys or the girl (is) to blame.
The girl or the boys (are) to blame.
Verbs of phrases such as "with, as well as, together with, in addition to, in company of, etc" is determined by the first subject.
E.g. The man with his wife (is) present.
it is about time, it's high time, as if, i wish, it's time, i'd rather, if only, suppose - uses past tense for present & future actions but past perfect tense for past actions. (1) It's high time we (left) here. (2) her mother said, "i would rather you (cooked) the food. When (to) is added to subjunctive, it remains in present tense.
Sentences are detached by removing relative pronouns (who, whom, that, whose, which) & the words before the gap if the relative pronouns appear after the gap.
1. It was __ who fought the civil war [they/them/theirs]. When who and It was is removed. We have: (They) fought the civil war.
2. You who__ convicted should appear. [are/is/was] When who is removed. We have: You (are) convicted.
DO - Determiners
SI - Size
SHA - Shape
C - Color
P - Participle
O - Origin
M - Material
N - noun adjective
DE - Denominal
H - Head
Di(2)syllabic Nouns - stressed at First syllable. (IMport)
Disyllabic Verbs - stressed at last (2nd) syllable. (imPORT)
Disyllabic words ending with 2 or more consonants are stressed at 2nd syllable. (resPECT).
Disyllabic words with long vowels or diphthong at the 2nd syllable are stressed at the 2nd syllable. (reMARK, misLEAD)
Schwa vowel/ə/ is never stressed. Disyllabic words starting with schwa are stressed at last syllable (adVICE,aBOVE) & vice versa. Thus disyllabic words ending with schwa (ter, tor, ger, ler, mer, per, ber, zor, vor, yer) are stressed at first syllable (BIGger, DREAmer).
Poly(more than 2)syllabic words ending with (tal, tic,ion,ian) are stressed at 2nd syllable counting from the ending. (EduCAtion).
Polysyllabic words ending with (ate, ity, ify, phy, logy, gamy, tany, cal, nal, tomy, ive, ey, ry) are stressed at the 3rd syllable from the end. (producTIvity, geoLOgical,PROmigate, deMOcracy).
That's all for Syllabic stress.
Wish you success. Now go crush that exam.
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54