Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,561 members, 7,827,094 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:03 AM

Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) (1608 Views)

Beyonce First Single "girls" Just Leaked (full Song) / Download Old School Naija Songs Here And Thank Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 1:31pm On Mar 08, 2010
Well what can I say . . . Drake is doing it like he should.
Man of the year drops a single to show us the direction of the album.

Over comes without the big collabos we were promised, just Drake telling us what he wants to do, make good music.
He also uses his idiosyncratic signposting wordplay . . . the type you heard at the beginning of Forever.

‘Bout to set it off, set it off, Jada Pinkett

‘Bout to go Thriller Mike Jackson on these niggas
All I need’s a fucking red jacket with some zippers

Just listened to it once now . . . will like to see what you guys think.
For now I'm thinking it's not as hard as Drake on Unstoppable or Forever

Can you see me? Can you see me? Get your Visine on
Y’all just do not fit the picture, turn your widescreen on
If you thinkin’ I’ma quit before I die, dream on
Man, they treat me like a legend, am I really this cold?
I’m really too young to be feelin’ this old

[flash=400,450]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZCwpnY7vac&hl=en_GB&fs=1&[/flash]
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Genuflect(m): 4:11pm On Mar 08, 2010
The verses are okay but I don't like the hook
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by wengewenge: 4:19pm On Mar 08, 2010
me too the hook is weak, but drake still shits on all rappers grin
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 6:58pm On Mar 08, 2010
Genuflect:

I think the hook was against the pace of the track too.
He was dragging it and it sounded forced.

But I like the verses, it was like him convincing himself that he's up there.

Did you feel the pun in the name?? Drakeover grin grin
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Nobody: 7:13pm On Mar 08, 2010
Drake na bad guy

ItSnAiJa . com
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Genuflect(m): 7:18pm On Mar 08, 2010
That's a nice pun. But he shoulda said it in the track or something
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 7:21pm On Mar 08, 2010
Genuflect:

That's a nice pun. But he shoulda said it in the track or something

I know . . . I saw it on the cover of the CD.
There was no space inbetween the words . . . that was creative.
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Genuflect(m): 7:32pm On Mar 08, 2010
I guess that's good enough. The pun on the cover alone could attract you
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by HJ1(m): 7:41am On Mar 09, 2010
Song is just aight . . . .I would throw ma money on J.cole instead
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Nobody: 9:01am On Mar 09, 2010
Drake is too freaky mehn. . . . dude is a s//ex freak grin grin grin

Will be back for my review later on today

wengewenge:

See, thatz my boo kiss kiss grin
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 9:45am On Mar 09, 2010
Nice.
I like drake, tho he rolls wit weezy i think
he's a diferent kinda dude. He has this mature thing bout
him, even lyrically(comparin to weez)He has a kinda composure
and sauve that weezy lack.

And after studyin the work of NAS and Adree3000 for this
comin album, i think it's gon be dope.

H.J:

Song is just aight . . . .I would throw ma money on J.cole instead

Ermmmm, tempted to do same~~but i even rather place ma bet on
D.Julien, too bad the best of em dont get signed to labels to project 'em.
Me think D.Julien is the future of HipHop.

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by wengewenge: 9:53am On Mar 09, 2010
FL Gators:

Drake is too freaky mehn. . . . dude is a s//ex freak grin grin grin
See, thatz my boo kiss kiss grin

gators don come o , wetin concern sex for here again
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 09, 2010
wengewenge:

gators don come o , wetin concern intimacy for here again
Do you ever listen to Drake's lyrics angry angry
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by HJ1(m): 10:08am On Mar 09, 2010
AM I LIKE 200 AND LATE .  pls WHO'S D. JULIEN, DBR? gat any link to his (her) songs . .
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 11:00am On Mar 09, 2010
eldee:

I think the hook was against the pace of the track too.
He was dragging it and it sounded forced.

wengewenge:

Genuflect:

Now with 3 of dudes whose view i respect~~well at least sometimes grin
i wuddnt wann go against d grain but~~~Here come Mr i-beg-to-differ grin grin

Honestly i see heard nuthin wrong wit the hook!
Me think it balances the quick pace and the high pitch of the verses.
This dont classify as weak or "draggy" or forced to me, t'was onbeat.
Well maybe cos i listen wit ma heart.

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 11:11am On Mar 09, 2010
DBR:

Honestly i see heard nuthin wrong wit the hook!
Me think it balances the quick pace and the high pitch of the verses.
This dont classify as weak or "draggy" or forced to me, t'was onbeat.
Well maybe cos i listen wit ma heart.

oNe

I usually find it hard to describe sound.
But the part where he goes, 'I know way tooo many people . . . ' even went against the 'Oh yeah I'm doing me'
The pace kept fluctuating through the hook and disrupts the pace of the song . . . I think he shoulda got Weezy to do the hook.

Hehehe . . . I listen with me ears. grin grin
You know that part of your body that normal people use to listen to music. grin grin
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Genuflect(m): 11:19am On Mar 09, 2010
DBR, I've always kinda enjoyed Drake's previous hooks. He has a nice singing voice and most of the time his choruses are catchy. But the melody of this 'Over' hook is just not catchy enough. Honestly, I can't even remember how it sounds like. I have to play it everytime to remind myself. And I didn't do that with 'Best I Ever Had', 'Forever', 'I'm On' or 'Money to Blow'
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Genuflect(m): 11:24am On Mar 09, 2010
And true that, eldee. The bar structure of that hook wasn't definitive. The syllables kept fighting for space. The thing was just all 'over' the place. I'm very sure there woulda been a better first single option on that album
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 11:43am On Mar 09, 2010
Genuflect:

DBR, I've always kinda enjoyed Drake's previous hooks. He has a nice singing voice and most of the time his choruses are catchy. But the melody of this 'Over' hook is just not catchy enough. Honestly, I can't even remember how it sounds like. I have to play it everytime to remind myself. And I didn't do that with 'Best I Ever Had', 'Forever', 'I'm On' or 'Money to Blow'
comprendi! grin

eldee:

I usually find it hard to describe sound.
But the part where he goes, 'I know way tooo many people . . . ' even went against the 'Oh yeah I'm doing me'
The pace kept fluctuating through the hook and disrupts the pace of the song . . . I think he shoulda got Weezy to do the hook.

Hehehe . . . I listen with me ears. grin grin
You know that part of your body that normal people use to listen to music. grin grin
I tot so too, but when i followed the kick instead of the synthy sound, t'was intact.
Just try and steady bop ur head~~not to all d accopms,
but the main sound n kick u'l see it sits nicely wit d hook.

Yea normal~~ a safe defination for regular, ordinary~~ and that's d problem.
So i dont expect u mere mortal to comprehend wat an xtra-ordinary, super human
like DBR percieves and understands grin grin grin

Till u begin to listen wit ur heart u still very much legally tone deaf grin grin

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 11:51am On Mar 09, 2010
DBR:

I tot so too, but when i followed the kick instead of the synthy sound, t'was intact.
Just try and steady bop your head~~not to all d accopms,
but the main sound n kick u'l see it sits nicely wit d hook.

I'm following his words and not the beats. . . he forces some parts and then slows down in others.
That's obvious.

DBR:

Yea normal~~ a safe defination for regular, ordinary~~ and that's d problem.
So i dont expect u mere mortal to comprehend wat an xtra-ordinary, super human
like DBR percieves and understands grin grin grin

Till u begin to listen wit your heart u still very much legally tone deaf grin grin

oNe

Nah . . . this is normal as opposite to groupie grin grin
Listening to Drake with your heart?? You sound like Javalove talking about Modenine. grin grin grin grin

If a song does not pass the ear test, it's not going to no heart.
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 12:50pm On Mar 09, 2010
Eldee[i]gy[/i]
I'm following his words and not the beats. . . he forces some parts and then slows down in others.
That's obvious.
Eldeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! shocked shocked
How cld u say sth like this??
U cannot be talkin bout a verse not being in sync wit pace of track
and then say u aint listenin to d beat but just d words! C'mon!!
Even Flowshow know u dont have exactly the same # of words
on every verse, beat is regular but consonants differs
so u will of necessity run over some word or slow down on some
to achieve balance~~~every but u kno nauuwww, u dey dull me o
Ur most respected rappers on delivery~Em and Mi both do it, almost all rappers do

Nah . . . this is normal as opposite to[b] groupie[/b] grin grin
Listening to Drake with your heart?? You sound like Javalove talking about Modenine. grin grin grin grin

If a song does not pass the ear test, it's not going to no heart.

Hehheee, so im a Drake groupie now cos i feel his hook was in sync?
I even said i take D.Julien over him and J.cole
Listenin to music wit ma hear not just drake, and true dat, it already
passed the ear test.

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by tboy1(m): 2:10pm On Mar 09, 2010
H.J:

Song is just aight . . .  . I would throw ma money on J.cole instead

Yup you're right

@ Post
If this is Drakes first single from his most anticipated album den im not impressed at all
Song is not catchy, hook is rubbish , lyrics was aight but i expected more from drake
I'll wait to hear his next single, not feeling this track at all
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 2:34pm On Mar 09, 2010
tboy1:

Yup you're right

@ Post
If this is Drakes first single from his most anticipated album den im not impressed at all
Song is not catchy, hook is[b] rubbish [/b], lyrics was aight but i expected more from drake
I'll wait to hear his next single, not feeling this track at all

LOL~~dudes cant be funny sha
U aint feelin the track AT ALL
not Catchy, hook rubish, lyrics, aiite, u expect more.

So in concrete terms what is the MORE u xpect that will inpress U.
It's easier for most y'all to just sit back and punch keypads away
whimsically dismisin sth an artiste put out.
Since when did CATCHY mean good or creative.
How dare u call this rubbish/ Ok, i getit,~ freedom of speech! grin grin

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by Genuflect(m): 2:46pm On Mar 09, 2010
DBR, this is the first single for God's sake. The hook has to sound very good so real heads would feel the verse and commercial heads have the chorus to hold on to. Best I Ever Had is miles ahead of Over in the first hit department
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by tboy1(m): 2:54pm On Mar 09, 2010
DBR:

LOL~~dudes cant be funny sha
U aint feelin the track AT ALL
not Catchy, hook rubish, lyrics, aiite, u expect more.

So in concrete terms what is the MORE u xpect that will inpress U.
It's easier for most y'all to just sit back and punch keypads away
whimsically dismisin sth an artiste put out.
Since when did CATCHY mean good or creative.
How dare u call this rubbish/ Ok, i getit,~ freedom of speech! grin grin

oNe

So its a problem now if i dont like a song?
Search for Heartbreak Drake 5, listen to some of the tracks from latest mixtape, come back here and have dis discussion.
For a dude who everyone's waiting for his album, the track should be better than this
Maybe its the hook that killed the whole song for me but PERSONALLY, i'm not feeling this song
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 3:38pm On Mar 09, 2010
tboy1:

So its a problem now if i dont like a song?
Search for Heartbreak Drake 5, listen to some of the tracks from latest mixtape, come back here and have dis discussion.
For a dude who everyone's waiting for his album, the track should be better than this
Maybe its the hook that killed the whole song for me but PERSONALLY, i'm not feeling this song
DEfinately no, it aint a problem, its ur prerogative, but c'mon u went to hard
totally dismissin' d effort and callin it RUBBISH. And yea dont need to go n listen
to his mxtape, heard it all. But i get ur point bout the great xpectation.

Genuflect:

DBR, this is the first single for God's sake. The hook has to sound very good so real heads would feel the verse and commercial heads have the chorus to hold on to. Best I Ever Had is miles ahead of Over in the first hit department
Yea roger that grin
It just didnt sound too distant from a typical Drake hook to me
mayb that's y im easy on the dude.
But before totally dismissin it, lets wait for more singles, aiite.
Good look Genufle[i]xie[/i] grin u on point.

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 3:53pm On Mar 09, 2010
DBR:

Eldee[i]gy[/i] Eldeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!! shocked shocked
How cld u say sth like this??
U cannot be talkin bout a verse not being in sync wit pace of track
and then say u aint listenin to d beat but just d words! C'mon!!
Even Flowshow know u dont have exactly the same # of words
on every verse, beat is regular but consonants differs
so u will of necessity run over some word or slow down on some
to achieve balance~~~every but u kno nauuwww, u dey dull me o
your most respected rappers on delivery~Em and Mi both do it, almost all rappers do

That's why I said I'm not good at describing sounds in the first place.
I'm judging it as I would if there were no beat in it.
There's no flipping melody in that part . . . it's not the number of words, it's the way they are arranged.
Lack of rhythm . . . distortion of the pace.

I listen to so many genres of music . . . I know when a collection of sound is pleasant to the ear, this one isn't.
Come on . . . I respect Drake's hooks . . . Forever, Best I Ever Had, Off That, this is just different.

DBR:

Hehheee, so im a Drake groupie now cos i feel his hook was in sync?
I even said i take D.Julien over him and J.cole
Listenin to music wit ma hear not just drake, and true dat, it already
passed the ear test.

oNe

Fair doos.
Well let's just say when it comes to singing, I'm not easily impressed. wink wink
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by obinna5000(m): 4:29pm On Mar 09, 2010
@eldee
This is the right version of Drake's Over.

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xKMtfyIxs[/flash]
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 6:08pm On Mar 09, 2010
eldee:

That's why I said I'm not good at describing sounds in the first place.
I'm judging it as I would if there were no beat in it.
There's no flipping melody in that part . . . it's not the number of words, it's the way they are arranged.
Lack of rhythm . . . distortion of the pace.

I listen to so many genres of music . . . I know when a collection of sound is pleasant to the ear, this one isn't.
Come on . . . I respect Drake's hooks . . . Forever, Best I Ever Had, Off That, this is just different.

Fair doos.
Well let's just say when it comes to singing, I'm not easily impressed. wink wink

Well i just listened again and sorrwyyy this sh.it is pleasant to me ears
i think u need to get your cotton bud on grin
U said it anyway, u aint good at describin sound, so y wont i xpect u not to hear MELODY in there?
Sayin it Lacks Rhythm is just sooooo~~~dunno the adjective to use sef grin
U may not think it's d hottest Drake's hook out there but, i dont too, but this aint fit for the description
u givin it!! mayb we listenin to different songz undecided

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 6:29pm On Mar 09, 2010
DBR:

Well i just listened again and sorrwyyy this sh.it is pleasant to me ears
i think u need to get your cotton bud on grin
U said it anyway, u aint good at describin sound, so y wont i xpect u not to hear MELODY in there?
Sayin it Lacks Rhythm is just sooooo~~~dunno the adjective to use sef grin
U may not think it's d hottest Drake's hook out there but, i dont too, but this aint fit for the description
u givin it!! mayb we listenin to different songz undecided

oNe

I can't describe sounds like Elrazur would, that doesn't mean I don't know what's a good sound and what's not.
You question my appreciation of music?? I laugh in Deathblow II grin grin
Not boasting but the only people that listen to a wider range of music than moi on NL are the likes of Doyin13.

Hiphop is crap music . . . anything goes. But when you plan to sing, it will be judged against already set standards . . . and Drake disappoints on this hook.
If you think this hook has melody, then I'll have to send you a couple of Aerosmiths/U2 albums to enrol you in this school. tongue tongue
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by DBR: 6:43pm On Mar 09, 2010
eldee:

I can't describe sounds like Elrazur would, that doesn't mean I don't know what's a good sound and what's not.
You question my appreciation of music?? I laugh in Deathblow II grin grin
Not boasting but the only people that listen to a wider range of music than moi on NL are the likes of Doyin13.

Hiphop is crap music . . . anything goes. But when you plan to sing, it will be judged against already set standards . . . and Drake disappoints on this hook.
If you think this hook has melody, then I'll have to send you a couple of Aerosmiths/U2 albums to enrol you in this school. tongue tongue

u shame me wit ur comparison of Aerosmith/u2 wit drake!
Even on the so call Best i ever had that u so much like and use to discard this present one
Was Drake as outstanding when u compare to d 2 u named??
He pales so fast , he can neva share mic wit U2 or Aero
Ur comparin them is soo appallin'

oNe
Re: Drake - Over (first Single Off Thank Me Later) by eldee(m): 6:54pm On Mar 09, 2010
DBR:

u shame me wit your comparison of Aerosmith/u2 wit drake!
Even on the so call Best i ever had that u so much like and use to discard this present one
Was Drake as outstanding when u compare to d 2 u named??
He pales so fast , he can neva share mic wit U2 or Aero
your comparin them is soo appallin'

oNe

I didn't compare Drake to U2 . . . I'm sending you those albums to improve your own taste in music.
Your standards are way too low . . . your understanding of what's melody is questionable and your inference that I can't spot a good sound is laughable grin grin
Now if you listen to them, it gives you a broad view of what's good music and also stops you from dropping your standards that low to accommodate sounds like this.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lyrics: Davido - Owo Ni Koko / 10 Reasons Why You Should Listen To M.i – The Chairman Album ( Album Review) / [music] DMC Ft. Ikpa Udo - See My Mama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.