Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,091 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:31 AM

How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg (762 Views)

What Skills Can An Undergraduate In Mechatronics Engineering Aquire To Boost . / Recommend How To Be Professional As An Undergraduate. / How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg by phrezzz: 4:40pm On Oct 05, 2017
Hello smiley so I'm a Soon to be 300Level Student(Internship Calling) at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka studying Computer science and i'm obviously fully aware of the challenge it is to get a job in Nigeria. my main aim is to be one of those IT Guy in one of the oil and gas and i have made up my mind to study Oil and gas Computing for Msc. my question is for those of you who are working in their dream choice of job. how where you able to do it. i have looked at the neccessary skills and have been teaching myself some skills(Python-Data Science and Database skills) and adding together the practicals we engage in school and please anybody know how i can get to internship at shell would be Awesome...

Cc @Crazyman

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg by jasper83: 9:57pm On Oct 08, 2017
phrezzz:
Hello smiley so I'm a Soon to be 300Level Student(Internship Calling) at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka studying Computer science and i'm obviously fully aware of the challenge it is to get a job in Nigeria. my main aim is to be one of those IT Guy in one of the oil and gas and i have made up my mind to study Oil and gas Computing for Msc. my question is for those of you who are working in their dream choice of job. how where you able to do it. i have looked at the neccessary skills and have been teaching myself some skills(Python-Data Science and Database skills) and adding together the practicals we engage in school and please anybody know how i can get to internship at shell would be Awesome...

Cc @Crazyman

I am really impressed when young lads are career focused, It means all hope isn't lost on the nation. But first thing first, concentrate on your studies and make a very good grade. Then humble yourself to start small because that's the way to start winning in life, when you start small it also help you manage your expectations at every particular stage of your life even when disappointments comes knocking you won't be thrown off balance.

Now to the crux of the matter, I personally don't believe in the dogma people carry about concerning unemployment which has become a daily song in the country. In as much as it looked so and competition is fierce there is still that chance for that special someone if you are deligent, hardworking, resilient ,dogged and prayerful. Your time will surely come and when the opportunity arises and you latch on it. I'm a living testimony of this, after my NYSC, I sought the permission of my parents to go stay with a friend who already has an apartment so I can untie myself from the apron strings of my parents and focus on my life and survival.

Luckily they obliged me, lest I forget I'm a Muslim and that my childhood friend is real born again christian, a month after NYSC POP, he recommended me for a sales project with his pastor which lasted for just 3 months, for my dedication and humility the pastor was so proud of me and anytime a client comes around he introduced me as one of his best hands because that job was meant for let say SSCE/OND holders but I gladly took like the bible says never despise thy days of little beginning, so he made me the team leader. After the 3 months project ended he recommended me to a couple who owns a very big distribution/marketing company and that was how my career in sales started. Mind you I studied a physical science course just like you in one of the top three ivory tower in the country but I have always dreamt of management which made me humble myself for any opportunity that will link me up, after all I'm a son of nobody.

From that my second job, I got married and was averagely living well, sometimes last year I saw a widely publicised vacancy for a higher sales role in one of the top 3 manufacturing companies in Nigeria, a multinational with headquarters in Europe. I believe in myself and always tell myself that if hardwork pays my time will surely come, the recruitment process took 8 months and lol and behold I was among the 3 choosen and my life hasn't remain the same as in never remained the same, hope you known what I mean. I'm just a son of nobody dinning with son's and daughters of Mr somebody lol. My advise, don't be too fixated about oil and gas or nothing else, what should be paramount to you is how to gain that experience and exposure and I bet you will be surprised how far you have gone career wise and the oil and gas industry will be at your beck and call. It's just a matter of time for me before I will start switching industry, just be very patient, humble, focus and prayerful and it will be well with you.

My two cents

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg by amicable09(f): 7:04am On Oct 09, 2017
Jasper83, you have spoken so well.

It's unfortunate to see graduates who have no experience in anything whatsoever applying for jobs and asking people first how much they pay in company XYZ, I find it absurd.

OP, let me digress a bit. I know how much I started with. My motivation has never been money because I believe strongly that I won't die poor. My first job, I had the same qualification as many others there who earned twice what I was paid. But I had no experience and the role was a small one. While there, I was doing more than I was employed to do. Because I had a lot of free time, they gave me books to read, prepare slides and do formal presentations. Initially, I felt like why should I be the one reading books on management to teach the others, can't the others read too? Am I the only jobless one here?

But you see, through humility, I learnt a lot and developed myself. About five months after I left there, I was called back but my value had gone up and they couldn't match it. I walk into the company and they are proud of me because they know I can't share my career story without first starting with them.

I saw myself at the very bottom when I started with them but they saw me differently. The things they made me do which I saw as punishment were the same things which later brought me to where I am now and where I am headed for the future.

For me, vision is key. Everyday I left the office, I walked past a bank's head office and I said to myself, I'll work here. I took a picture of a head office in VI and made it my wallpaper, everytime I looked at the picture, I reminded myself that I was not going to end small. It didn't look it at the time but gradually it began to unfold and is still unfolding. I applied when they advertised, went through the recruitment exercise and in the end, that particular bank offered me employment months after I left the first place where I worked.

You're on the right path. Network. Most importantly associate yourself with the right people. You don't have to 'know' people. Success in life is like magnet, if you work and walk towards it, it will on it's on accord run towards you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg by phrezzz: 11:02am On Oct 11, 2017
thank you amicable09 you are too kind and jasper83 thank you for such rich enlightenment. God bless you two.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg by AHCB: 6:40pm On Oct 11, 2017
amicable09:
Jasper83, you have spoken so well.

It's unfortunate to see graduates who have no experience in anything whatsoever applying for jobs and asking people first how much they pay in company XYZ, I find it absurd.

OP, let me digress a bit. I know how much I started with. My motivation has never been money because I believe strongly that I won't die poor. My first job, I had the same qualification as many others there who earned twice what I was paid. But I had no experience and the role was a small one. While there, I was doing more than I was employed to do. Because I had a lot of free time, they gave me books to read, prepare slides and do formal presentations. Initially, I felt like why should I be the one reading books on management to teach the others, can't the others read too? Am I the only jobless one here?

But you see, through humility, I learnt a lot and developed myself. About five months after I left there, I was called back but my value had gone up and they couldn't match it. I walk into the company and they are proud of me because they know I can't share my career story without first starting with them.

I saw myself at the very bottom when I started with them but they saw me differently. The things they made me do which I saw as punishment were the same things which later brought me to where I am now and where I am headed for the future.

For me, vision is key. Everyday I left the office, I walked past a bank's head office and I said to myself, I'll work here. I took a picture of a head office in VI and made it my wallpaper, everytime I looked at the picture, I reminded myself that I was not going to end small. It didn't look it at the time but gradually it began to unfold and is still unfolding. I applied when they advertised, went through the recruitment exercise and in the end, that particular bank offered me employment months after I left the first place where I worked.

You're on the right path. Network. Most importantly associate yourself with the right people. You don't have to 'know' people. Success in life is like magnet, if you work and walk towards it, it will on it's on accord run towards you.
What's the essence of networking then? Or do you mean nepotism?
Re: How Do I Get My Dream Job(still An Undergraduate). Advice Needed Abeg by amicable09(f): 8:59pm On Oct 11, 2017
AHCB:
What's the essence of networking then? Or do you mean nepotism?
Lol. You network because man is not an island to himself. You'll need to connect with others who are either searching for the same thing as you are or who are there already to guide you on the path to take.

It doesn't mean nepotism.
Through people (insiders), we've gotten CVs submitted and without their assistance, serious candidates sit and qualify for openings on merit.

That's what I was talking about.

(1) (Reply)

Deeper Life Bible Church To Host Summit For Young Professionals / Increase Your Productiveness While At Home And Boost Your Career / How "Attahiru Jega" And His Friend Died Of Calcium Carbide At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.