Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,157 members, 7,825,616 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures (103609 Views)

See What Happened When I Moved To My New Environment (pics) / Update On The Woman Deported From Germany At Midnight With Her 3 Kids (Pix) / My Experience When I Moved To Sweden! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Jakumo(m): 7:32am On Oct 07, 2017
naturalwaves:
The island part of Lagos is generally safer than mainland. You can move around midnight and even 1,2 am without any fear and even cabs to take you to wherever you are going. Most fun lovers on the island are very responsible and police and other authorities respect people more here. I don't even panic if I'm still out of the house at late hours because there is no cause to unlike mainland where you will have to sleep wherever you are and wait for dawn in order to be safer.

Good for the "fun lovers", and thank God I will NEVER join their ranks to take that fateful ride into the Bermuda Triangle at night.

2 Likes

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by chronique(m): 7:33am On Oct 07, 2017
Jakumo:

Spare Parts Price List from Lagos Nigeria, as quoted on the Lagos Stock Exchange at the close of trading October 6th 2017:

Human heart - one million naira each.
Human bone marrow - 50K naira per kilo.
Human Kidneys - 75K naira each
Human Eyes - 50K each
Human Blokos - Call for Pricing
Human toto - If you have to ask, you cannot afford to buy it.

Not even for a million dollars paid in advance, would I ever contemplate driving the mean streets of Lagos, Nigeria at night.

For maybe $10K paid up front, I would drive around there by day.

Tempting fate is not for everyone.

E get as e be.

Police is NOT your friend.

Your car signifies your net worth.

Your phone handset identifies those to pay ransom, when you become a guest of Evans boys.

Lol. I tell you. Lagos wey dem go dey rob you for one side, police go dey the other side dey look you. Some things are not just worth it.

2 Likes

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Kingbusssy(m): 7:39am On Oct 07, 2017
Keneking:
But where is lalasticlala sef

Make I call him for you

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Ojuororun(m): 7:41am On Oct 07, 2017
petitejolie:
why u no reach mile 2, oshodi, ikorodu and u said u drove round Lagos. stop dar joke o. nice one though
grin
petitejolie:
why u no reach mile 2, oshodi, ikorodu and u said u drove round Lagos. stop dar joke o. nice one though

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by chronique(m): 7:43am On Oct 07, 2017
OBALORLA:

Fantastic advice! On the contrary Lagos isn't as bad as people perceive it to be

A friend of mine was telling me of how her friend's hubby was kidnapped in his own car at night by kidnappers and was taken out of Lagos,recently. They were already packaging the man for rituals but as God will have it, this friend of mine and the wife went into serious prayers when they sensed something wasn't alright with the man's safety... To cut the story short, the man was later dumped in a bush along the express at night and he later found his way home. Once I mistakenly stay out till 7:30 in the evening, I start getting very uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by naturalwaves: 7:48am On Oct 07, 2017
Jakumo:

Good for the "fun lovers", and thank God I will NEVER join their ranks to take that fateful ride into the Bermuda Triangle at night.
grin grin grin. The characteristics you are exhuming is typical of the rich, cool guy that wouldn't want to take any minute risk at all as cargo dey sea, money for business is underway etc etc. I prefer to stay till dawn wherever I am too. Life Na jeje jare. I share in your fears. Better to be safe than sorry. I hereby Christian you "AYOKELE JAIYE" cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Jakumo(m): 7:55am On Oct 07, 2017
naturalwaves:

grin grin grin. The characteristics you are exhuming is typical of the rich, cool guy that wouldn't want to take any minute risk at all as cargo dey sea, money for business is underway etc etc. I prefer to stay till dawn wherever I am too. Life Na jeje jare. I share in your fears. Better to be safe than sorry. I hereby Christian you "AYOKELE JAIYE" cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ayokele Jaiye ha ha ha. This one na new language for me o. I thought that Ayokele was the traditional Yoruba word for a car.

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by balogun16(m): 8:04am On Oct 07, 2017
fatymore:
You get liver sha
you wey dey do night work with men wey u nor know before, you not get liver?

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OliveCynosure(f): 8:24am On Oct 07, 2017
Beautiful pictures
But, the security men at Banana Island though, what if you were men of the underworld?

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Nobody: 8:26am On Oct 07, 2017
balogun16:
Bwahahaha
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 07, 2017
Nice one op...

Person for fit do this in PH but the thought of meeting SARS officials on the way... undecided Naa, I ain't trying it
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Nobody: 8:48am On Oct 07, 2017
Pidgin2:

Once again another spoiler, una no dey tire abi?

What's your problem? Is this a quarell of just an exchange of opinion

Please if you dong have any meaningful thing to add get off my mention no one here is insulting Lagos.. Olive I'm both Lagos and abuja and was sply stating what I read of recent as to whether bureau of statistic got their facts right Idont know..BUT PLEASE DONT TURN THIS SIMPLE DISCUSSION TO SOMETHING ELSE
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Alao96(m): 8:51am On Oct 07, 2017
soberdrunk:
"10k" for 'shortime'?? How??!! angry

shey Na gold mine dy inside
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by fatymore(f): 8:58am On Oct 07, 2017
AlwaysUltraPad:
I like your signature.
thanks dear
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by fatymore(f): 8:59am On Oct 07, 2017
balogun16:
Do I know you or have you seen me doing runs... Good morning sha.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by James4424: 9:26am On Oct 07, 2017
burg:
U son smoke abi
Weed alone can never cause this, except it's been taken with hard drugs. Try and read about cannabis and you will be surprised at its benefits. It is already legal in 7 states in USA.

Let just say weed has for long been a victim of false societal beliefs.
Note that weed is far healthier that cigarettes and has little chance of addiction. It's time to seek knowledge by yourself instead of just following what the society beliefs. Thanks
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by naturalwaves: 9:44am On Oct 07, 2017
Jakumo:

Ayokele Jaiye ha ha ha. This one na new language for me o. I thought that Ayokele was the traditional Yoruba word for a car.
It is a common one o. "Ayokele jaiye" represents anyone who takes great care in having fun even when having fun to the maximum level. An "Ayokele jaiye" would rather stock his refrigerators with the best drinks and order "asun" and the best barbecues rather than going out to hang out in a bar lest a fight or other unforeseen danger ensues .

2 Likes

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Fame4christ(m): 9:51am On Oct 07, 2017
The experience at the bae challenge is a mixture of adventures and risk !

What if a car . . . Lemme nor think about this. smiley

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by burg: 9:53am On Oct 07, 2017
James4424:

Weed alone can never cause this, except it's been taken with hard drugs. Try and read about cannabis and you will be surprised at its benefits. It is already legal in 7 states in USA.

Let just say weed has for long been a victim of false societal beliefs.
Note that weed is far healthier that cigarettes and has little chance of addiction. It's time to seek knowledge by yourself instead of just following what the society beliefs. Thanks
are u nw encouraging weed nw, I believe dat u are selling it

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by Tolubory(m): 9:59am On Oct 07, 2017
OBALORLA:
Were we crazy to have decided to Shoot Lagos at night? It wasn't my fault actually. Please allow me explain.

9:30pm 29th September 2017
I thought I had finally deciphered a new way of escaping Dami's 'wahala' when he barged into the partially lit sitting room without knocking. The buttons of his pink shirt weren't properly connected but he cared less as he spoke loudly (in his usual style) over the phone to someone I don't think I know. He had just returned from Gerald Road, Ikoyi, where he Joseph (our mutual friend) had invited him to the launch of Impact Hub.

I became angrier when he moved close to where I was lying, kicked me and jokingly said "omo better yeh ma sun..." I knew the implication of such song (especially when it comes from him) so I had no choice than to honour his invitation since he needed to just talk.

After all his reporting (which centered on how fantastic the people on the Island enjoy life), he concluded by clarifying that 'lekki people are learning work where Ikoyi peeps are".

The Next Day
So the team agreed we'd go to see things for ourselves the next day and this prompted me to write this tweet few minutes before the journey started.

I hailed another taxify with my phone when we got declined by the previous driver who probably couldn't take the risk.
Tolu sounded excited while I gave him a brief of our plan. He arrived few minutes earlier than the app had predicted, I smiled as I took that for a good omen. He dug straight into our drill as he suggested we start from Banana Island so that we'd ply the Lekki bridge and then head towards 'Eko' bridge on our way back. We all decided to go neutral by freeing our minds of all prior experiences we might have had on the Island so we can enjoy every scene as they appear.

Then the journey began

Dami joined Tolu at the front while I stayed back with Kunle (Marshal).

Falomo under bridge

Falomo under bridge where we took our first shoot. We passed the Lagos motor boat club where Tolu hinted us that one of the major criteria of being a member is to own a yatch (which I somewhat found hard believing).

The first cool experience with the Nigerian Police

At this Juncture, I'd like to appreciate the Nigerian Police even though many of their officers aren't doing it the way it should be done. The policemen who accosted us yesterday were calm and going by the way they spoke, i could easily tell they are learned. they stopped us after noticing our car's rear number plate was missing, did some searching and after carefully explaining what happened to the missing plate, they advised we drive carefully while we enjoy the night.

We saw girls too
...loads of them were on display. Marshal's mouth was slightly opened (probably in lust lol) while Dami decided to play a bit as he told Tolu to park beside the duo who were obviously waiting for a call.

The sex workers on the Island seems to have a solid relationship with the Police

Dami: hello, what's up? what's your name?

1st girl: Sandra

Dami: Beautiful. What's the price?

She: 20k for full-time.

Dami: How about short?

She: 10k

Dami: How about 5k?

Both girls: mtcheewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

We all had a lengthy laugh as Tolu twisted the ignition and zoomed towards banana Island.

Banana Island
On getting to main gate of banana island, the stern-looking security officers asked if we lived here and we nodded in affirmation (a plot we've mastered many seconds before getting to the gate). They lowered their guard while Tolu added pressure to the gas. The team broke no sweat.

Romur has It that this belongs to the wealthiest woman in Africa. In 2014 (According to Wikipedia), she unseated Oprah Winfrey as the richest woman of African descent in the world

Front view: Lagos Intercontinental hotel

We stopped by Golden gate, Alfred Rewane road to take few road pictures then headed straight to the Lekki link bridge as earlier planned.

Alfred Rewane road

Alfred Rewane road

The Bae Challenge
What If a car... don't let me think about it. The risk was worth taking. *grins

After bae challenge on the link bridge we headed into lekki, paid toll of #250

The babes at admiralty were madder than we've ever seen them... We spent up to 30 minutes roaming aimlessly there and wondering why everything including the roads, whores and even the police on this part of the Island seems better than what we are used to on the mainland. Everything we saw was motivation.

I said to no one as the street lights flashed on my face while I smiled.

On our way back, we took few pictures on the Eko bridge before plunging back into the uninspiring atmosphere of the mainland.

A view from Eko Bridge

To think that we had mad fun without eating nor drinking anything further validated the below:

I strongly suggest you try this out with your team or wait till I'd be doing my next tour.

Here are few but strong tips on wandering Lagos at night

-Free your mind: this will enable you absorb at a maximal level.
-Take a private car (uber or taxify will be better): This will enable you do all you like while at it. there were many times when we'd stop abruptly to take pictures or ease ourselves. It is also safer.
-Don't go alone: going with a partner is good but it's better with partners. i.e 3 or more.
-Hold cash instead of relying on ATM: this is in case you'd like to buy something or maybe settle the cab driver. in our own case, we had visited 4 different machines and still couldn't get money to balance the driver. We ended up doing a cash transfer.
-Be responsible: this means, dress well, talk politely to the police if you encounter one, you can drink, but don't misplace your home training.

Source: http://www.nomadicnegro.com/lagos-at-night/
Wow
what a Tour.

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by elimajoe(f): 10:06am On Oct 07, 2017
Cool images are posted.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by tylesh(f): 10:20am On Oct 07, 2017
Which one is "uninspiring atmosphere on the mainland" embarassed
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:35am On Oct 07, 2017
Bibi294:
Op, next time you're going on such n interesting adventure... Pls notify me

I'm currently planning another in few weeks time. Kindly send a mail to tunde@nomadic negro.com so I can keep you posted.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:36am On Oct 07, 2017
yinkeys:
Dreams
Now following this topic
It'd soon become reality as I'm currently planning another in few weeks time. Kindly send a mail to tunde@nomadic negro.com
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:37am On Oct 07, 2017
Deo1986:
Was that Tagbo in the third photo? But you exagerated the price for olosho, it is usually 5k,3kand 2k.

Since launching my blog, I have never altered any of my story line.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:39am On Oct 07, 2017
Phynicz:
dude I'd like to join your next adventure. this is amazing.

I'm currently planning another in few weeks time. Kindly send a mail to tunde@nomadic negro.com so I can keep you posted.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:41am On Oct 07, 2017
LolaCole1:
This is just lovely. OBA good one wink

Thanks fam!
Have you voted for me (nomadic negro) yet?
https://couponcode.ng/awards/travel-blog-awards-2017/
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:44am On Oct 07, 2017
naturalwaves:
The island part of Lagos is generally safer than mainland. You can move around midnight and even 1,2 am without any fear and even cabs to take you to wherever you are going. Most fun lovers on the island are very responsible and police and other authorities respect people more here. I don't even panic if I'm still out of the house at late hours because there is no cause to unlike mainland where you will have to sleep wherever you are and wait for dawn in order to be safer.

true.
Things are gradually changing though,as places like Ikeja, Egbeda, Maryland et al are slowly but steadily catching up with tides.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:44am On Oct 07, 2017
Melian:

Too funny. Thanks for making my morning.

awwwn.
I'm glad I did.
Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by OBALORLA(m): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2017
OliveCynosure:
Beautiful pictures
But, the security men at Banana Island though, what if you were men of the underworld?

truth is, we saw an average of 5 well armed security men within almost all the buildings.

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by DarkRebel69: 11:09am On Oct 07, 2017
soberdrunk:
"10k" for 'shortime'?? How??!! angry

Island ashewo > Island püssy > Island payment. It's simple prostitutional mathematics. grin

1 Like

Re: I Moved Around Lagos At Midnight And Took These Pictures by naturalwaves: 11:16am On Oct 07, 2017
OBALORLA:

true.
Things are gradually changing though,as places like Ikeja, Egbeda, Maryland et al are slowly but steadily catching up with tides.
I see

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Canada Spouse Family Sponsorship Visa/appeal Process / My Trip To Kenya In Pictures / How A Nigerian Lady Landed In Europe Because Of 80 Naira Sachet Milk

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.