Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return (996 Views)

Femi Opabunmi Seen Begging In Ibadan / Ex-super Eagles Star, Femi Opabunmi Cries Out; I'm Going Through Hell / 8 Of The Best Players Never To Have Won A Top-flight League Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by FBS: 8:46am On Mar 09, 2010
Opabunmi eyes top flight return

Former Nigeria international Femi Opabunmi says he is working his way back to football after eye surgery which has kept him out of the game for about two years.

Opabunmi told KickOffNigeria.com that he was on the verge of going blind in 2007 and had to go for emergency eye surgery.

"I had been having problems seeing, even when I was on the field. When it got very serious, I went to see a doctor and they told me that if I did not go for an operation, I would be totally blind in 10 days.
"So I went in for the operation in Paris, and I have been out of football since then," he said.

Opabunmi, who is now looking slightly squint-eyed, says the surgery cost a lot of money but is grateful to two of his Nigeria colleagues for their assistance.

"It was a very expensive operation, and it cost me a lot of money, but Osaze Odemwingie and Seyi Olofinjana were the two people who assisted me with the expenses."

Despite the long absence from football, Opabunmi insists he is far from finished and says he is now looking forward to getting back into top flight football.

"I am now training with 3SC, and I hope that by the time the transfer window opens, after the World Cup, I can return to Europe and join a good club."

Opabunmi, now 25, was the star of the Nigerian Under-17 team which won silver in 2001, winning both the silver shoes, as second highest goalscorer, and the bronze ball, for third best player in the tourney.

A year later, he was selected Adegboyega Onigbinde for the World Cup and became the youngest Nigerian player and the third youngest ever at 17 to play at the World Cup when he took to the pitch against England.

He subsequently joined Grasshoppers Zurich but spent an injury-blighted four years before moving to France with Chamois Niortais and then dropping off the radar.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/14244/opabunmi-eyes-top-flight-return.php
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by MrCrackles(m): 9:00am On Mar 09, 2010
Is this the same Opabunmi, Dayokanu [Nl resident buffoon], is always harping about
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by Ogaga4Luv(m): 9:15am On Mar 09, 2010
[size=13pt]i dunno think so. . . maybe this is another Opabunmi.[/size]
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by azeeza(f): 10:27am On Mar 09, 2010
Osaze Odemwingie and Seyi Olofinjana were the two people who assisted me with the expenses."

may God reward them in a million fold.
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by FBS: 10:31am On Mar 09, 2010
^^^
Amen to that.
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by galatico(m): 11:00am On Mar 09, 2010
Welcome onboard !!!
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by yemmight(m): 11:27am On Mar 09, 2010
Opabunmi ke, Where has he be playing since?
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by FBS: 11:47am On Mar 09, 2010
^^^ Read the first post, if you need an answer to your question.
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by semid4lyfe(m): 10:43pm On Mar 09, 2010
FBS:

^^^ Read the first post, if you need an answer to your question.
I like this reply, lol. Some people just click reply without reading sha grin tongue
Re: Opabunmi Eyes Top Flight Return by MrCrackles(m): 12:11am On Mar 10, 2010
FBS:

Opabunmi eyes top flight return

Former Nigeria international Femi Opabunmi says he is working his way back to football after eye surgery which has kept him out of the game for about two years.

Opabunmi told KickOffNigeria.com that he was on the verge of going blind in 2007 and had to go for emergency eye surgery.

"I had been having problems seeing, even when I was on the field. When it got very serious, I went to see a doctor and they told me that if I did not go for an operation, I would be totally blind in 10 days.
"So I went in for the operation in Paris, and I have been out of football since then," he said.

Opabunmi, who is now looking slightly squint-eyed, says the surgery cost a lot of money but is grateful to two of his Nigeria colleagues for their assistance.

"It was a very expensive operation, and it cost me a lot of money, but Osaze Odemwingie and Seyi Olofinjana were the two people who assisted me with the expenses."

Despite the long absence from football, Opabunmi insists he is far from finished and says he is now looking forward to getting back into top flight football.

"I am now training with 3SC, and I hope that by the time the transfer window opens, after the World Cup, I can return to Europe and join a good club."

Opabunmi, now 25, was the star of the Nigerian Under-17 team which won silver in 2001, winning both the silver shoes, as second highest goalscorer, and the bronze ball, for third best player in the tourney.

A year later, he was selected Adegboyega Onigbinde for the World Cup and became the youngest Nigerian player and the third youngest ever at 17 to play at the World Cup when he took to the pitch against England.

He subsequently joined Grasshoppers Zurich but spent an injury-blighted four years before moving to France with Chamois Niortais and then dropping off the radar.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/14244/opabunmi-eyes-top-flight-return.php
Youngest indeed. . . .
I am sure dude is near 30 or over now
Bloody age cheats. . . . .

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Most Girls Always Carry Signs That Say "marry Me, Ronaldo" In A Match / Kogi-born Abdul Adama Hands Over Ownership Of Bukola Babes Fc To Saraki / Nigeria, Kenya & Egpyt; Top 3 On The Medals Table At The Ongoing AYAC Warri2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.