Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,514 members, 7,830,528 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up (1544 Views)

Nigerian Breaks 187-yr-old Record At University Of London / Nigerian Breaks Jinx:First African Member Of The Board Of Governors Of WAML / A Nigerian Breaks Grounds On Global Mobile Technology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Ikengawo: 9:28am On Mar 09, 2010
Will this end

corruption?
Corruption in nigeria is not a product of one tribe stealing from another tribe, its the product of the rich stealing from the poor, simple as that. In Jigawa to Delta there are dismally poor people. in a land of dismally poor people the governors and elite are extremely rich. The north which is accused of stealing the most from the government has the poorest people and richest elites. If there was 250 countries from what is nigeria, would we see 250 corrupt free countries? My enemy as a nigerian isn't the distant fulani despot stealing from his people kilometers away. its my own local government chairman that has bought cars with the allocations for roads infront of mine and his house in mine and his own village. This is the story very where.

ethnic tenison/violence?
Look at Jos. the middle belt is neither igbo or hausa, but the two have been killing each other on this alien land for years. If middle belt was it's own country, or each tribe there was its own country, would this end the fight by foreign tribes to control this country? Would their interests, business political and otherwise, end suddenly because of a break up? If there was conflict between and hausa tribe and an igbo tribe will an hausa nation and an igbo nation be as peace?

mismanagement?
Is their a functional state in nigeria? have yoruba leaders not failed yoruba people? have igbos not failed igbos, ijaws ijaws and fulani fulanis?
Are they mismanaging their own home states and villages because they have to share a flag with yorubas or because they are failures?
Is your local government chairmen of an opposite tribe? after answering that ask yourself the next question, is your local government rich?

Igbos have bleeped up my experience in nigeria and im an igbo, has yorubas have bleeped up the yoruba experience in nigeria for other yorubas and infact in nigeria your own tribe is more likely to steal mismanage and squander your resources, so if 250 nations come out of nigeria, will a single one of them be developed upon independence?

no.
This is called foresight. Nigerians have 0 foresight, but this type of thinking helps in life. Know your problems
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by kosovo(m): 9:43am On Mar 09, 2010
I have always said that Breaking up would never puzzle out the pons asinorum of this Nation, I want to say that dido dididi didtum would only lead to growing pains amongst the various fractions.
  Let us Lay this issue of nonconformity to rest and be more Pragmatic and pro-active in finding an holistic solution to the crises causing hardship to the Nigeria People.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Nobody: 9:48am On Mar 09, 2010
Kosovo my broda i nor know wetin u dey talk oh! anyway lets wait for 2012 the year of the breakup
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 9:55am On Mar 09, 2010
kosovo:

I have always said that Breaking up would never puzzle out the pons asinorum of this Nation, I want to say that dido dididi didtum would only lead to growing pains amongst the various fractions.
  Let us Lay this issue of nonconformity to rest and be more Pragmatic and pro-active in finding a holistic solution to the crises causing hardship to the Nigeria People.

Communication is said to be ok when both the sender and receiver of the information passed are ok.

In this case, you are not communicating and this is a tragedy in itself.

Big words don't help unless they are intended to confuse or mislead. Simple and everyday words usually help in wonderful communication where everyone is clear about the message.

1 Like

Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Ikengawo: 9:57am On Mar 09, 2010
^AHAHAHAHAHahAH!

SSsoooooo true! Nigerians like speaking english! not communicating but speaking english. Just trying to be incomprehensible so that you can say you speak english.

LMAO! im glad someone pointed it out, but excessive english doesn't mean you're educated or ppl will take you seriously (unless they're illiterates), it means it's hard to understand you, like stammering or a lisp. it's nothing to flaunt.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Nobody: 10:57am On Mar 09, 2010
Aswerigad, Kosovo you are a certified bloviating dolt. . . . .Now i have no beef with this.

What I have beef with is the fact that you prolly think anyone is impressed with your utter stupidery.

Must you make yourself appear silly?

Bloody hell!

By the way, i saw what you did in the other thread.
I hope you know you are not helping yourself.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by dafman10(m): 11:26am On Mar 09, 2010
kosovo:

Let us Lay this issue of nonconformity to rest and be more Pragmatic and pro-active in finding an holistic solution to the crises causing hardship to the Nigeria People.

kosovo! kosovo!! kosovo!!! how many times i call u?    U GO WOUND OOH. LWKD
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by yorubason: 12:09pm On Mar 09, 2010
Kosovo if na your sisters and aunts them kill like chiken for jos, you go still dey talk like you dey talk so?. Abi you dey work for SSS?. Guy take time and get serious.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Nobody: 12:13pm On Mar 09, 2010
kosovo:

In summary, Breaking up of a nation is not an option, we should find a solution to the current crisis.

You see Kosovo you can make your point in one sentence.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by neily(f): 12:15pm On Mar 09, 2010
Everybody is a suspect. If u see urself as a local govt chairman today, would u rather use public funds to make urself comfortable or use it right? Answer rightly and know whether there will be a change later or not.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Ikengawo: 9:27pm On Mar 10, 2010
Use it right cause i had the fortune of growing up in america and not learning to have a mind blowingly low self esteem and ability to see 2 steps ahead of myself.

If i use it right, history will remember me forever. If i use it as a nigerian would i will be a big man until someone buys a bigger car then me.

all these governors are richer and more comfortable then Chinua Achiebe, but Chinua's corruption free work Things Fall Apart is a part of my local (Nebraska, USA) grade school curriculum when i was in grade school.

Nigerians are too dumb to realize this. Why the f.uck would i steal gov money? if i win an election im probably already rich, nobody is gonna ask for the specifics of my bank account in nigeria so if your rich your rich and if your poor your poor, what am i steal for? who do i have anything to prove to?
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Onlytruth(m): 11:10pm On Mar 10, 2010
Sorry Ikengawo, but foresight is also the ability to understand that current Nigeria can never work. I also have the privilege of American education, both on and off the classroom. Seeing how things are done in America, and imagining that it can ever be done same way in Nigeria is my idea of blindness.

Ok, in America, isn't there public transport agencies police formations: bus, trains, etc? Aren't there:
City police?
County police?
State police?
And several federal police formations?

Those alone guarantee security. Do you see that ever happening in Nigeria?

Instead we will have Sharia police, police protecting important people, one fat a's's police force spread thin all over the country with one helpless boss in Abuja(the so called center of unity).
Try suggesting state police and people start freaking out .

Here in America, every law makes sense. All you need to do is think about the law for a while and the rationale behind it will become as clear as daylight, even simple traffic codes.
I'm not even going to talk about employment laws. America is a country that uses the best human resources she possesses to develop. In Nigeria, we use the least qualified and kill anyone who protests.

Frankly, I might see some hope for a southern Nigeria, but never for a unified Nigeria that includes the Muslim Hausa/Fulani. undecided undecided
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Ehoi: 11:26pm On Mar 10, 2010
A complete breakup or complete devolution of power is the way to go.
the north and the south have completely different ideology hence there is always going to be frictions trying to have them yoked together. Separation may not solve of the problems we have in the country but it will  make the problems easier to solve when the component parts all have the same ideology.

Nation building is about people having the same ideology coming together to form one country or a union. The reason nigeria have not progressed an inch is because at the bottom of the cart, one side is trying to go north while the other side is trying to go south. result is a complete standstill.

The north does not believe in western education but the south believes in it. If a northern man is head of education in the country, can you imagine how the south will be affected? thats why we must not be yoked together. What the north feels is good for all is bad for the south.

The north wants sharia but the south does not. If the country is lead by a southerner that does not believe in sharia, can you imagine how it will affect the northern populace who believe in sharia? We must not be yoked together. No wonder the north and the south are at each other's throat when it comes to who is in power. both sides want to establish their ideology. They have settled on a parttern of the power rotating between north and south. What that means is that when one side is in power, the other side does not have much progress until they come to power too. Why can we separate or have a loose union so that each nation within nigeria progress at their own pace with the same ideology driving them.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by EzeUche(m): 12:46am On Mar 11, 2010
I rather be in a smaller car that works, than a bigger car that doesn't work

Why are you people so afraid of division?  angry

We Igbos already opted out of this union, but you forced us back. Anyone who is against groups opting out of the union is the enemy in my eyes.

1 Like

Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by formunt(m): 1:12am On Mar 11, 2010
Cmon compare old russia to new russia and the associated new countries, division is cool
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by EzeUche(m): 1:14am On Mar 11, 2010
formunt:

Cmon compare old russia to new russia and the associated new countries, division is cool

AMEN! cheesy
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by violent(m): 1:32am On Mar 11, 2010
anyonw knows what
dido dididi didtum
means?
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Ikengawo: 9:34am On Mar 11, 2010
supporters of separation are yet to answer the issues posed in my original post.

this north and south issues is secondary at best.
when i go to nigeria i dont see a single yoruba man. i dont see an hausa man, nothing.
unless i go change money or see one begging on the road.

all i see, because im igbo, is igbos. this is probably the same for every nigerian not living in a city.

the ppl doing good and bad in my nigeria are igbos.
the actions and intents of yorubas dont factor into my village or state.

so for me to act like opposite tribes are 'holding back nigeria' when my own state is just as poor as everyone elses, still has corruption, still has bad infrastructure goes to show that tribes aren't hurting nigeria, nigerians are. all tribes all strips.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Ikengawo: 9:35am On Mar 11, 2010

old russia was the 2nd richest and most powerful state in the world. new russia is still multiethnic.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 9:51am On Mar 11, 2010
Why wont Kosovo speak in this manner? If we are to believe the transcript of a private conversation provided lately, he claimed he was one of the best student in English language at school. Surely, this just shows that his approach to English language is rewarded by those who should know better? So, it should not be a surprised when he speaks in a manner that everyone can see it is silly, but him.

@Topic

Yes division will create more solutions and at the same time there will be further problems. Having said that, if we are to use nation who have broken up in the past as a model, then it is clear that the advantages outweighs the disadvantages.

Ask yourself and the majority of people here if they prefer Nigeria to be as it is, or have her divded into smaller nations. I think the overwhelming answers will be to break up into smaller nations. That in itself speaks volume. I.e if people do not want to be together, why hold them in place by force? If Nigeria is a marriage, it would have divorced long time ago and each party married another partner and moved on since.

Here is to break up, as I believe it will sort a lot of the problems.  smiley
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 10:15am On Mar 11, 2010
Not so fast, there will be no break up.

I thought the rest of Nigeria fought for one Nigeria when the Biafrans moved out as a result of the senseless killings of people from the then Eastern region?

Anyone or region or tribe thinking of breaking away from Nigeria today should have a rethink because there are those that will do whatever is necessary to fight such to a standstill.

We shall swim or sink together, after all that was the message sent to even millions that were killed whether through bombs, massacres, starvation etc.

The blood of the innocent will not be shed in vain.

We must work to make Nigeria work or else,
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 10:56am On Mar 11, 2010
I get your point. As it stand and perhaps my understanding, those who fought to have a one Nigeria did it not out of true love but perhaps the gains it may be unto them.

We cannot because of bloodshed in the past remain this way, it is clear Nigeria as a whole isn't working. Yes, there are sentiments across and I feel the people of biafra or those who wanted a  break-away state of Biafra had it bad in everyway with their treatment during the war and years after the war.  It is still not a good enough reason (and I say that with all respect to those who are from the region or lost families and relatives) to hold Nigeria to a ransome of "we have to make it work because of previous bloodshed and the millions killed. Nigeria, like I said is simply not working.

Yes there will be elements that will once again oppose any break up, but if am to have my way, I am of the opinion that such elements should be given appropriate response, even if it means war.

A break up will see a more manageable nations and more accountability - something that is severely lacking and difficult to achieve as we stand as Nigeria at the moment.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ogilvy2009(m): 10:57am On Mar 11, 2010
I'm sure the creator of this thread know what he wants from this debate, So, hoping that we're objective in our comments.
For all peeps out there, for one to critically look out national issues with joking matter is detrimental. We leave other important advancement of human life to the painful occupation of 'nonsenses'; illiteracy, backwardness and sheer naive. People who can't influence life positively, or any gain in Fighting the defenceless, that sheer cowardice;

Can't you see!!! We are in this mess since 50 years now, No sector is working solely because we want quota to be implied in everything we do as a nation, Can you imagine what dropped independent power project of Lagos State under Tinubu was that the Federal Government wanted it on the National Grid, why can't they allow the State implement their project! I know we would have had many manufacturing companies in the south capable of manufacturing automobiles good for export! But they can't allow it. Who the Northern Cabal that now wants us be ruled by a Sick President.  With all due respect, what the Save Nigeria Group (SNG) are asking for is legitimate; What is the Pro-Yar'Adua Group saying, sheer nonesence, sheer selfish exclusive to the Northern group, no regarding its consequences for the Nations at large. We have better things to cater for.
They wrongly clinged to the Military, to the extend of using it to unlawfully by their act when President Yar'Adua was brought in. This is clearly not acceptible, Wasn't Akunyili pinned for speaking out!

All I ask, Would anything go wrong if the marriage of Nigeria be disloged! Instead of forcefully binding on us.
You can see that the differences are very wide; social, religious and otherwise, My school of though, two can't work together except they agree'. Other issues are likely going to be fixed in the long run,
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 11:19am On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

I get your point. As it stand and perhaps my understanding, those who fought to have a one Nigeria did it not out of true love but perhaps the gains it may be unto them.

We cannot because of bloodshed in the past remain this way, it is clear Nigeria as a whole isn't working. Yes, there are sentiments across and I feel the people of biafra or those who wanted a  break-away state of Biafra had it bad in everyway with their treatment during the war and years after the war.  It is still not a good enough reason (and I say that with all respect to those who are from the region or lost families and relatives) to hold Nigeria to a ransome of "we have to make it work because of previous bloodshed and the millions killed. Nigeria, like I said is simply not working.

Yes there will be elements that will once again oppose any break up, but if am to have my way, I am of the opinion that such elements should be given appropriate response, even if it means war.

A break up will see a more manageable nations and more accountability - something that is severely lacking and difficult to achieve as we stand as Nigeria at the moment.

Personally, I prefer break up into regions that should be allowed to progress at whatever rate they want.

However, it is not about my preference, it is about justice, truth and fair play.

Even till this day many Nigerians including the leader of the country when the civil war was fought continue to lie and mislead everyone about what happened before, during and after the war just to blame those that were being unnecessarily massacred by others.

How do you expect a meaningful progress with these lies flying around everywhere?

Yes, people will oppose and yes if need be war could break out but trust me if and when it does many Igbos may end up fighting to keep Nigeria one than breaking it up because our destiny cannot be manipulated by others whenever it suits them to do so.

Zik wanted a united Nigeria. Ironsi and Ojukwu foiled the first coup. After a 3 year old war that saw millions of people die majority of them women and children from starvation and bombs from even super powers we still have other forms of economic, political and infrastructural wars being waged against the Igbos. Yet, the Igbos are scattered all over Nigeria doing business and surviving even when Awolowo gave them 20 pounds irrespective of what they had in the bank. Others have even bought lands in PH as they lost what they had built before the war to abandoned properties project spear headed by Saro Wiwa who was trained with Eastern region money in both CIC and UNN (without crude oil money).

Now, some of you want out. Maybe that will happen after a bitter war because no one is going to get off easily this time.

The lies must be stopped. Acknowledgement of actions and deeds in place. Apologies were necessary offered. Repentance and truth will help in reconciliation.

When these are put in place then any talk about break up whether peaceful or by war would not be analysed with open mind.

Enough of the manipulations, schemings and double speak from Nigeria and Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Nobody: 11:40am On Mar 11, 2010
nigeria will break up in 2012.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 11:43am On Mar 11, 2010
If I get this right, you are saying exactly what my concerns are. I.e You want Nigeria to be one on the basis of injustice by Nigeria towards certain region or regions? If so, I am of the opinion that we cannot because of that hold together, because as it stand since the last attempt at a break away, nothing have worked.

The wrong decisions [my opinion] of the leaders of the past are not necessarily a true reflection of what the majority of the people feel. Again, we cannot hold millions of others to ransome. What has happened is now in the past and we need to move on and away from those thinking.  

You will probably get mad at this, but it needs saying, so here goes:  The Biafran in some way is a lost cause on the basis that there will never be justice for what happened. In the same breathe, it will not be a lost cause if we move on from each other and we build on something that most of us always wanted to do. After all, the perception is that most Nigerians will prefer we break up into smaller independent regions or nation.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 11:59am On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

If I get this right, you are saying exactly what my concerns are. I.e You want Nigeria to be one on the basis of injustice by Nigeria towards certain region or regions? If so, I am of the opinion that we cannot because of that hold together, because as it stand since the last attempt at a break away, nothing have worked.

The wrong decisions [my opinion] of the leaders of the past are not necessarily a true reflection of what the majority of the people feel. Again, we cannot hold millions of others to ransome. What has happened is now in the past and we need to move on and away from those thinking.  

You will probably get mad at this, but it needs saying, so here goes:  The Biafran in some way is a lost cause on the basis that there will never be justice for what happened. In the same breathe, it will not be a lost cause if we move on from each other and we build on something that most of us always wanted to do. After all, the perception is that most Nigerians will prefer we break up into smaller independent regions or nation.

Biafra existed between 1967 and 1970. I am not one of those that support Biafra today because to me it does not exist today based on the present balkanization of the Eastern region so I don't need to get mad about Biafra today.

However, what I detest is the constant lies by other Nigerians about what happened in the past that you conveniently want us to forget.

I respect your opinion about what you consider justice for what happened but you may never understand it fully until another group attempts to secede, that is when you will understand justice in its fullest measure.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 12:07pm On Mar 11, 2010
Oga, I have no affiliation - you can tell from my post I stay away from Tribalism et al.

If you feel there have been injustices and lies - which quite rightly so - I suspect you need to find another avenue to pursue that if you feel it is worth pursing. But to have the opinion that we cannot go each others way based on past bloodshed, lies etc. I think you will find you opinions been forever challenged.

I think if there is an attempt at a break-off this time, the people of the east will support it but be wary of any backlash. The Yorubas seem to want in too - even though there are divisions here and there. The Hausa - no offence to any one from this region - will probably see it as getting rid of the Yorubawa and co from their land. It is only those who steal from Nigeria in my opinion on all front will refuse to see what the most of us sees i.e want a divorce.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by DOAweb(m): 12:08pm On Mar 11, 2010
My peoples, from all indications Nigeria is slowly dying but surely. Agree with a whole lot of ya we need to break, this country is not working. Let's be honest we ourselves.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 12:37pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

Oga, I have no affiliation - you can tell from my post I stay away from Tribalism et al.

If you feel there have been injustices and lies - which quite rightly so - I suspect you need to find another avenue to pursue that if you feel it is worth pursing. But to have the opinion that we cannot go each others way based on past bloodshed, lies etc. I think you will find you opinions been forever challenged.

I think if there is an attempt at a break-off this time, the people of the east will support it but be wary of any backlash. The Yorubas seem to want in too - even though there are divisions here and there. The Hausa - no offence to any one from this region - will probably see it as getting rid of the Yorubawa and co from their land. It is only those who steal from Nigeria in my opinion on all front will refuse to see what the most of us sees i.e want a divorce.

Just remind me any day a non Nigerian flag is raised any where within Nigeria and shots are fired then we shall continue with the discussion.

One Nigeria to the end!
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 12:57pm On Mar 11, 2010
I agree it will not be a straightforward process if breaking up happens - based on break ups from around the world.

Having said that, we've had four decades at least [I wont say five, to allow for settling down etc] to get things right, do you not think perhaps it may be worth trying other options if we are not so united under the theme of unity?
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

I agree it will not be a straightforward process if breaking up happens - based on break ups from around the world.

Having said that, we've had four decades at least [I wont say five, to allow for settling down etc] to get things right, do you not think perhaps it may be worth trying other options if we are not so united under the theme of unity?

Where are you from? Your state or your tribe?

Igbos pushed for one Nigeria pre and post independence.

Igbos pushed for secession when a lot of things began to go wrong.

Igbos after losing the bitter war were forced to remain in Nigeria and they have done just that.

Now, you want to secede again? Secede go where? The indecision is getting out of hand.

I guess Ojukwu would be having a good laugh while taking palm wine as Nigerians complain about what he complained about some 43 years ago.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Qualities Of A Good Politician / Poverty Rocks Ondo / Sex Scandal: Court Awards Oshiomhole N25m Over Publication

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.