Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,059 members, 7,852,589 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:59 PM

Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up (1549 Views)

Nigerian Breaks 187-yr-old Record At University Of London / Nigerian Breaks Jinx:First African Member Of The Board Of Governors Of WAML / A Nigerian Breaks Grounds On Global Mobile Technology (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by jimmysho(m): 1:10pm On Mar 11, 2010
my assumption is; if Nigeria should break up, less than 30% of the original Nigeria might have problem with certain backlog or hangover from the mother Nigeria but in a matter of time things will surely stabilize because every nation will be using her neighbor that they were together as a united Nigeria as a yard stick to measure growth and development. That to me is a certain degree of forward moving rather thanstay together in this mess and refuse to grow from our days of indepence
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 1:47pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam:

Where are you from? Your state or your tribe?

Igbos pushed for one Nigeria pre and post independence.

Igbos pushed for secession when a lot of things began to go wrong.

Igbos after losing the bitter war were forced to remain in Nigeria and they have done just that.

Now, you want to secede again? Secede go where? The indecision is getting out of hand.

I guess Ojukwu would be having a good laugh while taking palm wine as Nigerians complain about what he complained about some 43 years ago.

In order to remove sentiments and emotions, or not to encourage those. I think it is perhaps irrelevant to the debate at hand.

As you stated that Igbos wanted and pushed for a one nation, so also will you find that other tribes pushed for one nation too. It isn't an igbo exclusive thing. The point is that over the years, the idea of one nation is not working for many and people are more or less waking up and smelling the coffee.

I am not sure about you second to the last statement, there isn't any indecisiveness on my end here. I have remained on the same point from the beginning, which is for Nigeria to separate into smaller nations or regions.

Again, stating the same points I have tried to explain to you a couple of times or so. Just because Igbos feel hard done by issue of Biafra, it do not mean it is a good enough reason to hold us all to ransom and force people to be part of what they do not want to be part of.

Here is a rough yardstick measure - Take a quick poll of yes or no with the question should Nigeria break, again my feeling is that it will be plenty of "Yes we want to break up" and very few "No."

Since you never addressed the issue I raised in my last post, before this one let me rephrase is again. How is the Concept of One Nigeria working for you in real life?
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by igboboy1(m): 1:51pm On Mar 11, 2010
Nigeria breaking up wont solve our problems but it means we have one less problem to deal with---Islamic terrorrism
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by kosovo(m): 1:55pm On Mar 11, 2010
igbo boy:

Nigeria breaking up wont solve our problems but it means we have one less problem to deal with---Islamic terrorrism
That's just the basic truth.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 1:57pm On Mar 11, 2010
kosovo:

That's just the basic truth.

No it isnt. If anything, we will be at a more manageable size and this will bring about accountability. And with accountability comes development.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by DOAweb(m): 2:00pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

No it isnt. If anything, we will be at a more manageable size and this will bring about accountability. And with accountability comes development.

I concur, Nigeria is simply just not working. cry cry
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by kosovo(m): 2:01pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

very funny indeed, Even in the state level, there is no accountability, so where does your philosophy stands?
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 2:02pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

In order to remove sentiments and emotions, or not to encourage those. I think it is perhaps irrelevant to the debate at hand.

As you stated that Igbos wanted and pushed for a one nation, so also will you find that other tribes pushed for one nation too. It isn't an igbo exclusive thing. The point is that over the years, the idea of one nation is not working for many and people are more or less waking up and smelling the coffee.

I am not sure about you second to the last statement, there isn't any indecisiveness on my end here. I have remained on the same point from the beginning, which is for Nigeria to separate into smaller nations or regions.

Again, stating the same points I have tried to explain to you a couple of times or so. Just because Igbos feel hard done by issue of Biafra, it do not mean it is a good enough reason to hold us all to ransom and force people to be part of what they do not want to be part of.

Here is a rough yardstick measure - Take a quick poll of yes or no with the question should Nigeria break, again my feeling is that it will be plenty of "Yes we want to break up" and very few "No."

Since you never addressed the issue I raised in my last post, before this one let me rephrase is again. How is the Concept of One Nigeria working for you in real life?

I will take it that you clearly refuse to state your tribe because your constant call for us to forget the past will be seen in the correct context.

Your tribe will in no way affect the discussion so don't use that line again.

As to your last question the concept of one Nigeria is working for me in real life because that is what Nigerians had forced my people to live with and a lot of us have adapted well into the system.

From 20 pounds by Awolowo after the war to the region with the least poverty index even without any FG support should make it clear how the Igbos have fared in Nigeria - the same country that killed them and refused them to leave.

As Ojukwu once stated, you cannot deny me the right to be a Biafran and at the same time deny me the right to be a Nigerian.

Either way the Igbos are fine, trust me. Whether in this marriage we objected to or as independent nation.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 2:13pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam:

I will take it that you clearly refuse to state your tribe because your constant call for us to forget the past will be seen in the correct context.

Your tribe will in no way affect the discussion so don't use that line again.

As to your last question the concept of one Nigeria is working for me in real life because that is what Nigerians had forced my people to live with and a lot of us have adapted well into the system.

From 20 pounds by Awolowo after the war to the region with the least poverty index even without any FG support should make it clear how the Igbos have fared in Nigeria - the same country that killed them and refused them to leave.

As Ojukwu once stated, you cannot deny me the right to be a Biafran and at the same time deny me the right to be a Nigerian.

Either way the Igbos are fine, trust me. Whether in this marriage we objected to or as independent nation.

Please rephrase the first statement. I thought I did understand, but I want to make sure I DO understand what you are saying.

Moving on to your 3rd statement, you appeared to have made an error! I will hold you on to that. You stated that you want Nigeria to be one and how it is working for you. Yet you made the statement "Nigerians forced your people. . . ."
Why do you see the need to use such phrase that carries a tone of division? Furthermore, you suggested that "Your people have adapted well" Now I am putting it to you that if you are forced and as a result adapted well. If you have your choice, won't you refused to be forced any more and then find your OWN way?

I do not know the real figures for poverty index in the region, but the ingenuity and industriousness of the igbo people cannot be denied. This however, have no bearing on whether we should stay together or divide. If anything, it should work as an advantage and another reason why we should perhaps break up?

As per your last point. I see you speak for the igbos, what about the other tribes who are not keen on the marriage does their say matter? Remember I am of the opinion that people want to go their separate ways be it Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa and those who may want their independent region or smaller nations. Those who will object to it are those who are perhaps stealing from Nigeria - not talking about you, but those who are in the House of powers and very influential.

Finally, my question was aimed more as to how Nigeria as one is working for you on a personal level. Not just how the igbos have fared over the time.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 2:22pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

Please rephrase the first statement. I thought I did understand, but I want to make sure I DO understand what you are saying.

Moving on to your 3rd statement, you appeared to have made an error! I will hold you on to that. You stated that you want Nigeria to be one and how it is working for you. Yet you made the statement "Nigerians forced your people. . . ."
Why do you see the need to use such phrase that carries a tone of division? Furthermore, you suggested that "Your people have adapted well" Now I am putting it to you that if you are forced and as a result adapted well. If you have your choice, won't you refused to be forced any more and then find your OWN way?

I do not know the real figures for poverty index in the region, but the ingenuity and industriousness of the igbo people cannot be denied. This however, have no bearing on whether we should stay together or divide. If anything, it should work as an advantage and another reason why we should perhaps break up?

As per your last point. I see you speak for the igbos, what about the other tribes who are not keen on the marriage does their say matter? Remember I am of the opinion that people want to go their separate ways be it Igbos, Yoruba, Hausa and those who may want their independent region or smaller nations. Those who will object to it are those who are perhaps stealing from Nigeria - not talking about you, but those who are in the House of powers and very influential.

Finally, my question was aimed more as to how Nigeria as one is working for you on a personal level. Not just how the igbos have fared over the time.

1. Those who wanted out were forced to remain while killing them in the process.

2. The only choice left was to adapt and that they have done well.

3. The poverty index was not prepared by Igbos but by Nigeria and UN.

4. Even though you don't have any moral right to ask me personal questions (considering the fact that you cannot even state your tribe) I will respond to your last question. Nigeria is working well for me on a personal level.

Any other questions?
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ajalio(f): 2:24pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur (m)  Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up
« #19 on: Today at 09:51:20 AM »

@Topic

Yes division will create more solutions and at the same time there will be further problems.
Having said that, if we are to use nation who have broken up in the past as a model,
then it is clear that the advantages outweighs the disadvantages.

Ask yourself and the majority of people here if they prefer Nigeria to be as it is, or
have her divded into smaller nations.
I think the overwhelming answers will be to break up
into smaller nations. That in itself speaks volume. I.e if people do not want to be together,
why hold them in place by force? If Nigeria is a marriage, it would have divorced long
time ago and each party married another partner and moved on since.

Here is to break up, as I believe it will sort a lot of the problems.

@ElRazur,you know how to choose your words very well. As well as you have put this
question, you can be sure that the answer is in such a way as you wish it and expect.
Of course the vast majority will answer that it is better to separate than to live in Nigeria
as it is now.

But let's think a little.
Pure hypothetically with a touch of irony. However, think once certainly and honestly about it.

Fact is,the opinions about the future of Nigeria are divided obviously. In one group, that says
Nigeria should remain one because we can still do together and in the other group that says
Nigeria must be split because we can't do together anymore.
And this fact is not limited on certain tribe. In every tribe there are those who think
pro-united and those who think contra-united.

So let us split Nigeria in two halves. Makes less work. Both halves are equivalent.
One half for those who
have the will and the ability to live with each other, in spite of their origin and religion.
Other half remains for the rest. Let's name them "united half" and "disunited half".
What do you believe, it would happen?
Would the "united half" makes a country, with progress and prosperity for everybody equally,
from her part?
Would the "disunited half" argue and fight, till the end of the days?
Will they would try to come to an arrangement with the time anyhow?
Would they also come to progress and prosperity?
Or would the people change bit by bit to the other half because they see that it functions?

I think you will agree with me if I state, "united half" would make something great from
her country. But why? Think that also here a variety in tribes lives. It has met not only
just one tribe by chance.
Also think that the people of both halves have lived in Nigeria which we know for 50 years.
But what is the difference between the people of both halves?
Does the difference not lie in the abilities of every single people, no matter which
background they have?
The ability in democratic understanding and social justice? The ability to remedy problems
and litigations in human and fair way instead of aggravate by mindless and hasty actions?

Want you to say that from the more than 150 million Nigerians only a vanishing low Part,
owns these abilities?
If this is true, you will also fail if I you divide.

It is as I already said in other topic; You hang like puppets on the threads which the
government moves. And you do not note it, even not after almost 50 years.
If it depends on it, you have all mouth and no trousers.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=409382.msg5660351#msg5660351 , #462

Who would like to change the world, must start with itself. If you want to change Nigeria,
start with yourselves.

Think @all once about it!
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 2:37pm On Mar 11, 2010
Afam

No disputing the figures. I am just saying I do not know what they are, and I went further to say I am not surprised as the Igbos are hard working etc.

I am refusing to answer the question as it will divert attention away from the discussion at hand - something that have happened already.

By the way, by the time I posted this link [see below] out of 10 people, 6 have voted for a seperated Nigeria. That is 60%, while this is not a true indications of things, it speaks volume.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-411586.0.html

It backs my view that most of us - be it whatever tribe - want out of the whole charade called Nigeria.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ElRazur: 2:38pm On Mar 11, 2010
Ajali please rephrase your post. I am in between my netbook and phone for internet, so it is a bit difficult to read what you are saying.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by ajalio(f): 3:25pm On Mar 11, 2010
LOL- Sorry, I did not want to put you under stress. grin
I know, I have the habit to write "novels".

I try to rephrase it later. Now I am busy too.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by Afam(m): 3:47pm On Mar 11, 2010
ElRazur:

Afam

No disputing the figures. I am just saying I do not know what they are, and I went further to say I am not surprised as the Igbos are hard working etc.

I am refusing to answer the question as it will divert attention away from the discussion at hand - something that have happened already.

By the way, by the time I posted this link [see below] out of 10 people, 6 have voted for a seperated Nigeria. That is 60%, while this is not a true indications of things, it speaks volume.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-411586.0.html

It backs my view that most of us - be it whatever tribe - want out of the whole charade called Nigeria.

Trust me this academic exercise will be different from reality otherwise groups would have started to push for that by now.

You don't break up a country on discussion forums.

If 40% say no to breakup then the frightening revelation would have been that there are actually a sizable number of Nigerians that will oppose this - something you should worry about.
Re: Ok So Lets Say Nigerian Breaks Up by igboboy1(m): 1:01pm On Mar 12, 2010
breaking up is the key, hausa /fulani are so keen on sharia so why dont they have their country where this can be fully implemented?

The igbos and groups like efik ibibio ijaw etc can roam together assuming no bad belle,

odua peeps on their own

great benin kingdom on their own

middle bet on their own

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transcript Of Jonathan’s Interview With Cnn’s Amanpour / Who Becomes Jonathan's Deputy? / N400million Cash Found In Septic Tank In Bayelsa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.