Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,028 members, 7,821,565 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Pregnant Traveller To The U.s - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Pregnant Traveller To The U.s (54668 Views)

New Traveller To Lagos , Plz Help / First-time Traveller To The U.A.E. / Pregnant Traveller To Usa, Ir2 Visa Status, 7 Months Pregnant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by shebambam(f): 9:47am On Mar 09, 2010
THOSE ANYONE HAVE ANY LATEST INFORMATION ABOUT PREGNANT WOMEN TRAVELLING INTO THE U.S. I INTEND TO HAVE MY BABY THERE AND PAY THE HOSPITAL BILLS BUT I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF SCARY STORIES ABOUT BEING TURNED BACK BY U.S IMMIGRATION. ALTHOUGH ITS NOT MY FIRST TIME IN THE U.S.A, CAN ANYONE PLS HELP SHARE SOME INFO.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by lasgidi4rv: 10:53am On Mar 09, 2010
Could you clarify whether you already have a valid visa for travel and mean being refused entry by Immigration upon arrival in the US? It depends on how far along you are. I saw a video on youtube about a lady who was refused onboarding while still in Nigeria for this reason. Despite having a valid visa and passport.
Typically, because of increased risk of going into labour, most airlines require a letter from your doctor stating you're fit to travel and your estimated delivery date once you're over 28 weeks pregnant. If you are more that 36 weeks pregnant most airlines will not let you fly due to the increased risk off deliverying on board.
My advise would be to contact the airlines before hand to avoid any surprises. Also, just as important consider the health risks. Hope this helps.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by shebambam(f): 11:05am On Mar 09, 2010
I have a valid visa but i am just worried about the u.s immigration, i am about 21 weeks plus and i already have a letter from my doctor. It's just that i have heard a lot of scary stories.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by lasgidi4rv: 11:20am On Mar 09, 2010
Then I really would call the airlines. If you have just a regular non immigrant visa, the max period is usually 6 months (Unless yours is different). In which case, you would be able to give birth and not worry about overstaying.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by Vicjustice: 1:38pm On Mar 09, 2010
shebambam:

THOSE ANYONE HAVE ANY LATEST INFORMATION ABOUT PREGNANT WOMEN TRAVELLING INTO THE U.S. I INTEND TO HAVE MY BABY THERE AND PAY THE HOSPITAL BILLS BUT I HAVE HEARD ALOT OF SCARY STORIES ABOUT BEING TURNED BACK BY U.S IMMIGRATION. ALTHOUGH ITS NOT MY FIRST TIME IN THE U.S.A, CAN ANYONE PLS HELP SHARE SOME INFO.
   At 21 weeks, you shouldn't be experiencing any problem with any airline, but you might face some problems with the US immigration: The only way you can get into the US is if the pregnancy is not obvious due to your body type or if you can hide it because, it's highly likely that they will turn you back once they know that you're carrying a pregnancy that has exceeded its middle stage; the logical reason is, you weren't given a (medical) visa (for your current circumstance) to give birth in the States, but rather, you were issued a visa for a single individual, and now, you're entering the country as two people.
   So, take a good look at yourself in a full mirror (dressing in the clothing that you would be wearing on your trip) and see if it's obvious that you're pregnant. And if it seems so, then, try to get a special fashion that would suitably hide the pregnancy without giving you an odd or suspicious appearance. By careful measures, you should be able to get in without any incident afterall, there are some people with protrude bellies even though they're not pregnant, and there are others that look normal even when they're in mid pregnancy. Cheers!
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by dancewith: 6:22pm On Mar 09, 2010
I have a sister who came over last week @ 34 weeks pregnant. And she was so huge that you must know. The US immigration stopped her, checked her visa and asked her through. You know why, she has a B1/B2 visa. B2 includes trips to the US for medicals. As long as you can show proof of funds that you can afford your medicals you wont be turned back

Another pregnant lady on the same Delta flight was refused entry as her visa read only B1. You need to check your visa now and be sure it states B1/B2. The B2 part is the most important but most people actually do not know and assumes any US visa can get them past immigration for any purpose. Unlike the UK where there is a specific visa for medicals, US medical visa is covered under B2 and if you have it, even if they can measure your pregnancy they wont be sending you back as long as you have about $10,000 or over which is about what my sister showed them

Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by oyewolejos(m): 7:01pm On Mar 09, 2010
shebambam:

Don't be afraid because of the fear of the unknown.This life is all about risk.So take the risk. But i can see u scaling through if u can only be bold. There is no law that ban pregnant women from traveling so u only have to be firm when being quizzed.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by Nobody: 3:59am On Mar 10, 2010
reminds me of an incident on UK BORDER FORCE. . . . . . . . . . . . . enjoy!!!!

[flash=480,385]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tkx4lpjamGI&hl=es_ES&fs=1&"[/flash]
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by iz2much: 7:03pm On Mar 10, 2010
yes u can ??
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by omega25red(m): 11:23pm On Mar 10, 2010
That video was outstanding. I dont know why our folks dont think these people know whats going on. Obviously that woman was going to the u.s to have a baby there i know a woman who did exactly that but this woman spent about 4 months in the u.s and her belly was pretty small when she came.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by shebambam(f): 10:09pm On Mar 15, 2010
HEY FOLKS,

THANKS FOR THE CONTRIBUTIONS, I MADE IT INTO YANKEE WITH VERY LITTLE HASSLE. I DON'T THINK THEY ARE OUT TO GET PREGNANT WOMEN COS DER IS REALI NO LAW PROHIBITING A PREGNANT WOMAN FROM ENTERING THE U.S.

THEY WOULD RATHER BE SPENDING THEIR TAX PAYERS MONEY FISHING OUT TERRORISTS NOT MAMA IBEJI'S LIKE US,

3 Likes

Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by kadman(m): 11:50pm On Mar 15, 2010
Congrats Shebembam
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by Shinatu: 9:34am On Mar 16, 2010
shebambam:

HEY FOLKS,

THANKS FOR THE CONTRIBUTIONS, I MADE IT INTO YANKEE WITH VERY LITTLE HASSLE. I DON'T THINK THEY ARE OUT TO GET PREGNANT WOMEN COS DER IS REALI NO LAW PROHIBITING A PREGNANT WOMAN FROM ENTERING THE U.S.

THEY WOULD RATHER BE SPENDING THEIR TAX PAYERS MONEY FISHING OUT TERRORISTS NOT MAMA IBEJI'S LIKE US,

Congratulations! Please just thank God . People have been delayed and questioned in the past. Maybe it depends on the Airport sha.

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by Pittbaby(f): 9:36pm On Mar 18, 2010
Congratulations! Please just thank God . People have been delayed and questioned in the past. Maybe it depends on the Airport sha.

Depends on the airport and the Immi officer you meet. once met a jamo man who just wanted to know if i was carrying bush meat ( in a joking manner of course ) this was just after the under pants bomber , when i expected extra scrutiny
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by lasgidi4rv: 5:30pm On Mar 19, 2010
congrats mama ibeji wink wink wink wink wink
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by ibileye(f): 2:58pm On Mar 23, 2010
Congrats. But if u r coming to the State with a visiting visa n declared to them that u r pregnant, sorry they will not let you in, because they know that you are trying to have American citizen. So, the best think to do is not declare it, cover it well and come in as soon as possible. I have a sister that it happened to.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by dancewith: 6:11pm On Mar 23, 2010
@ibilaye,

You are wrong. I know several mexicans that come over regularly to give birth here. While immigration is aware of the purpose, there is currently no law against it especially for someone with the right visa

If you have the right visa and can show proof that you can afford it, they will let you in. Just last week someone from Lagos came over and was stopped at JFK 'cos she was heavy. Bye and large she was later let in. If you cant prove that you can afford the bill (By the way the average is $8,500 and can run into $30,000 in some cases) then they will send you back; and of course if you have the wrong visa
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by ibileye(f): 8:22pm On Mar 23, 2010
@ Dancewith, what a person can get away with, the other might not. What i said is from experience, i was with my sister when she was coming in to Usa through O'Hare international airport, n the custom officer(lady) asked her if she wants to declare something else, my sister said no, then she asked her if she is pregnant, she said no( She is assually pregnant), they took her to INS office and she was interogated and she was told that if she is pregnant they gonna return her back to her country, is only God that saved her, because she kept denying it. So, sometimes is left for the person you meet at the port of entry to determine your faith, so, y wait till she is heavy b4 coming in. If they knew at the US embassy that you are pregnant, they might not grant you a visa. So, my advice to her is to come in as soon as possible. Ori yato so ori.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by missojugo(f): 7:53am On Jan 16, 2011
shebambam, I guess you are back now! Please i will be travelling to the U.S next month to have my baby by Gods grace and will appreciate if you can give me information about how you went about getting an OB and how much it cost you. I have a 2 yr Hi/H2 visa and proof of funds of about $10k. I am planning to have the baby in New York. Thanks
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by dancewith: 1:08pm On Jan 16, 2011
missojugo:

shebambam, I guess you are back now! Please i will be travelling to the U.S next month to have my baby by Gods grace and will appreciate if you can give me information about how you went about getting an OB and how much it cost you. I have a 2 yr Hi/H2 visa and proof of funds of about $10k. I am planning to have the baby in New York. Thanks

I do not understand most of your post. If you have an H1&H2 visa, then you are on work permit. why would you need proof of funds to cross the border when you are a legal immigrant?

Also why would you wish to have the baby in the US when you are supposed to be resident in the US anyway?

Or is it that you have a B1/B2 visa rather than a H1/H2 visa? If this is the case, then you can repost your question to get correct answer
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by missojugo(f): 7:10am On Jan 18, 2011
Sorry Dance with what i meant was b1/b2 visa! thanks for the correction and patiently waiting for your reply!
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by LaNiger(m): 8:22pm On Jan 18, 2011
Missojugo:  My younger sister came to NYC last month.  She is seven months pregnant and plans to have her baby in NYC and she had no problems or questions from immigration.  There is really no monetary requirement, however a couple of things you do would make it a lot easier for you.  Whatever you do, avoid travelling through the U.K, you are better off flying Arik Air direct from Lagos to NYC.

Confidently answer the questions posed to you by the Immigration Officers and tell the truth.  Immigration Officers have the discretion to send you back to Nigeria, which they often exercise.

I don't think you need to show any financial proof, however you should at least have some money on hand e.g $2K just in case you are questioned about your pregnancy and your intentions.

Good luck!!! I doubt if you will have any problems but be prepared, I know "Foreigners giving birth the USA is a big issue right now."

1 Like

Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by dancewith: 9:22am On Jan 19, 2011
missojugo:

Sorry Dance with what i meant was b1/b2 visa! thanks for the correction and patiently waiting for your reply!

I do not think you have much to worry about since you have a B1/B2
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by dancewith: 9:58am On Jan 19, 2011
missojugo:

But that does not mean you will start boasting about your condition to them. If you can cover the pregnancy better.

Good luck
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by missojugo(f): 7:27am On Jan 22, 2011
The person i was planning to stay at her place in NY has suddenly changed her mind so i am thinking of going to austin texas now! Any advise on how to get a doctor that wont charge to much there? thanks
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by thebaft: 11:22am On Jan 22, 2011
@missojugo,

My wife had her baby in New Jersey last year. And we are also planning for our second baby this year as well and this time, it may be in the US or Canada. My wife has not made up her mind yet.

We arrived JFK in the last week of December 2009, just like two days after the Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab episode. I was a bit worried about the extra security in place after all the pat-down searches we received at Heathrow in our connecting flight. I even had my wife put on my winter jacket as we stood in line at immigration. Funny enough, the immigration officer was not bothered (or did not show it) and he let me and my 7 month pregnant wife in without a fuss.

However, when i flew in 2 months later at Newark to witness the birth, I was now stopped by the immigration officer, and she handed me over to someone else and I was taken into the interrogation room and was asked many questions. They wanted to know if I was in the military, if my parents were in the military, if my siblings were in the military. I was held for like 15 minutes before I was released.

So, from my experience, I can conclude that landing into a busy airport like JFK may offer you less scrutiny than the lesser busy airports like Newark. Travelling with your husband is a great plus because he answers the questions and if he has a big frame like me, he can stand squarely in front of the officer (partially blocking you) and looking them into the eye. The only time my wife came into full view was when she was being ten-printed. At winter time, such as now, no one really questions why you are putting on such a grossly over-sized jacket.

By the way, there is nothing illegal about giving birth in the US. After all, who doesn't want quality healthcare. However, they don't like people giving birth there and then not paying the bill. Personally, I think it is bad. Even in Nigeria, if you can't pay your bill, the hospital will keep you hostage until your family can. If hospitals are expensive, there are also birth centres and if you are courageous enough, you can hire a registered midwife and have the delivery at home. The link below states the CBP's stand on pregnant women.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-the-risks-involved

It is no crime to be pregnant entering the US. However, a mean border agent, can stamp only one month on your I-94 which can lead to the tempation of overstaying. That is why we try hard not to disclose the pregnancy. And also have plenty of cash on you. I had like USD7300 on me. That was my proof that I was not going to be a ward of the US Government.

Have a nice day!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by missojugo(f): 7:14am On Jan 27, 2011
Thanks thebaft i will send you and email so we can jist proper am leaving in 2wekks by Gods grace!
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by Shinatu: 2:41pm On Jan 28, 2011
@missojugo,

Please do not forget to share your experience at the port of entry with us when you are through, it will be usefull to some of us.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by megastu(m): 10:12pm On Jan 22, 2012
any experiences till date?
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by omiata(m): 5:02am On Jan 24, 2012
sad
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by Gbenge77(m): 12:47pm On Jan 24, 2012
omiata:

@thebaft, pls i will like to know your advice on this cos i don't want to create another thread on this.

My wife is a month pregnant, am in the US a permanent resident, i want her to have the baby here, i really need to act fast but need procedure doing that. can you give advice as to what needed on time and mnd you, my wife still has not travel out before, am starting the filling process for her to move down here permanently but that will take time.

All i want now is for her to have the baby here in the US, pls advice.
your wife wont be allowed to visit the US until she gets her green card.There are no two ways about it.You should know that.
Re: Pregnant Traveller To The U.s by omiata(m): 1:43pm On Jan 24, 2012
Gbenge 77:

your wife wont be allowed to visit the US until she gets her green card.There are no two ways about it.You should know that.

that is my worry, though i have not tried it, any personal experience or law to support that? embarassed

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kazakhstan Has Banned Nigerians Over Rape & Bank Robbery - Dara Ikenna Nzimora / My Nigerian Experience – Ljiljana Kostic, A Serbian Living In Nigeria / US Embassy In Nigeria Closes Indefinitely

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.