Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,084 members, 7,842,107 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 08:45 PM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (276708 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:41pm On Dec 25, 2017
timesup234:
Do people still travel to the UK? You mean to tell me UK embassy still get applicants from Nigeria? I long forgot such place exist

I worked for 6yrs in Nigeria as a Doctor. At the end of the year on average, my savings was an average of 300,000 naira as a single guy. No vacation, no trip abroad, hustling to date graduates, able to help family sparingly.

However, after 1 year of working in the UK. I was able to save 11,000 pounds, a trip to Nigeria, Germany and Amsterdam, a vacation, a 49inch TV, many PS4 CDs, female graduates attracted to me, although i'm still single.

Not to be shallow, but at this rate, if i multiply by 6. I think i am okay. Eventhough USA might be better, this is also better than Nigeria. If you can't afford a Ferrari, still appreciate your Mercedes over the previous Golf 2

79 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by postemail: 8:24pm On Dec 25, 2017
cowleg:

Uncle you can lie oooo 1700 can get you a bony old layer this Christmas. My mum bought two Christmas parents stock chickens both 11k

Well, in my area, they are selling the old lays for 1700. I guess you must be living in some rich neighborhood.

@ukmigrant is chicken as expensive in the UK as it is in cowleg 's neighborhood?

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 8:28pm On Dec 25, 2017
postemail:

Hi. You forgot to mention the cost of a whole chicken in the UK compared to the 1700 naira we pay for a whole(fresh) chicken in Lagos.

It will be nice if you could take the time to compare food prices in your part of UK and Nigeria; and also the quality. Some say 9ja coca cola is watery compared to the same coca cola in UK. Is this true? How about beer quality? Bread? Etc..
All I can say is the food in naija tastes better and seem healthier but the ones here are cheaper. I bought that chicken for £4.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by otokx(m): 8:31pm On Dec 25, 2017
UKmigrant:
All I can say is the food in naija tastes better and seem healthier but the ones here are cheaper. I bought that chicken for £4.

UK chicken na water water, you have to marinate it for more than 24 hours to get it to be near Nigeria taste, In winter we put it in a pot and left it out in the cold to marinate.

Their bread is another thing but their juice is superb.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2017
otokx:

UK chicken na water water, you have to marinate it for more than 24 hours to get it to be near Nigeria taste, In winter we put it in a pot and left it out in the cold to marinate.

Their bread is another thing but their juice is superb.

what if it is us who was born eating rubbish chicken and we got used to it?

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 9:18pm On Dec 25, 2017
UKmigrant:

Who buys chicken from the supermarket. You go to halal shops. You will get naija quality from there.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by veleta: 9:49pm On Dec 25, 2017
@Falzdatbadguy,sorry to digress.Please how did you go about flight reservation ticket for your trips to Germany and all that without paying for the ticket. Thanks
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by austino677(m): 9:55pm On Dec 25, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

If you can't afford a Ferrari, still appreciate your Mercedes over the previous Golf 2
Bravo man... cool
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by austino677(m): 10:00pm On Dec 25, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

However, after 1 year of working in the UK. I was able to save 11,000 pounds, a trip to Nigeria, Germany and Amsterdam, a vacation, a 49inch TV, many PS4 CDs, female graduates attracted to me, although i'm still single.

If you're still in Nigeria it will definitely take you approximately 24yrs to save up to that amount... Hope I'm right

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 25, 2017
austino677:
If you're still in Nigeria it will definitely take you approximately 24yrs to save up to that amount... Hope I'm right
save 5 million in Nigeria?? I never really thought about it

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:39pm On Dec 25, 2017
veleta:
@Falzdatbadguy,sorry to digress.Please how did you go about flight reservation ticket for your trips to Germany and all that without paying for the ticket. Thanks
on the contrary, i had to book a ticket to show them at the embassy
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by wonlasewonimi: 10:45pm On Dec 25, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

I worked for 6yrs in Nigeria as a Doctor. At the end of the year on average, my savings was an average of 300,000 naira as a single guy. No vacation, no trip abroad, hustling to date graduates, able to help family sparingly.

Not to be shallow, but at this rate, if i multiply by 6. I think i am okay. Eventhough USA might be better, this is also better than Nigeria. If you can't afford a Ferrari, still appreciate your Mercedes over the previous Golf 2

Let it be known that you replied a patient in yaba left...from now on, he will come up with some crazy, idiotic assertions that will make you doubt your sanity. Do not fret, you are fine!

14 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 11:12pm On Dec 25, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

You dey mind those UK haters, talking like say na them dey run the country. There are Nigerians in China, Kuwait, South Africa etc who are doing really well and won't even trade it for your glamourous America!

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by austino677(m): 12:08am On Dec 26, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
save 5 million in Nigeria?? I never really thought about it
oh, okay
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ridwan1821: 12:18am On Dec 26, 2017
Hardeybohwarley:
How did you get to know this thread. Welcome
I saw it on nairaland.. undecidedundecided

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Hardeybohwarley(m): 6:20am On Dec 26, 2017
Ridwan1821:
I saw it on nairaland.. undecidedundecided
You should have found it on Facebook. Mtchew.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by chukxy: 10:36am On Dec 26, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

@Falzbadtguy, This is very inspiring. As a result , I would want to learn how you do it in order to save such a very big bucks with life style you mentioned. I actually have worked more than 4 yrs now in UK but I have not saved upto that amount you mentioned even with very low key modest life style.

Sometimes, when I considered that I was able to save all the amount I used for funding my education in UK just working for 2 yrs after my graduation in Nigeria; it makes me think if actually made mistake.

At the moment what gives me enjoy is the type of experience my job gives me and the prospect the experience will give in the future.

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 12:19pm On Dec 26, 2017
chukxy:
@Falzbadtguy, This is very inspiring. As a result , I would want to learn how you do it in order to save such a very big bucks with life style you mentioned. I actually have worked more than 4 yrs now in UK but I have not saved upto that amount you mentioned even with very low key modest life style.

Sometimes, when I considered that I was able to save all the amount I used for funding my education in UK just working for 2 yrs after my graduation in Nigeria; it makes me think if actually made mistake.

At the moment what gives me enjoy is the type of experience my job gives me and the prospect the experience will give in the future.
well, it depends on what you earn first.... Do you earn over 2,000?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by bigtt76(f): 12:20pm On Dec 26, 2017
Very funny indeed when you hear some people say 'Africa or Nigeria is all we got so we need to remain behind and salvage it' ....I'm like salvage what? How? The best way to salvage it all is by taking off jaaare.

All those shouting America ...America .....abeg can they help to get one the much needed visa to stay there? NO ....ask them for tips on how they did it, none would volunteer, yet they come here to start their ....thing. Let people decide their future, not for you to tell them what is good based on your taste but rather allow them make their choice.

I remember when I started being concious on buying 'genuine leather' stuff because my friend was always hammering on genuine leather blah blah .....it took me years before I could ever get a genuine leather stuff to buy cause I was always skeptical of even the genuine leather products I see. same here too ....all the Americanas, if you can't help people get to America legally, stop beclouding their ambitions.

Happy Christmas UKMigrant ...well done.

UKmigrant:
You dey mind those UK haters, talking like say na them dey run the country. There are Nigerians in China, Kuwait, South Africa etc who are doing really well and won't even trade it for your glamourous America!

14 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by bigtt76(f): 12:21pm On Dec 26, 2017
Exactly ....was going to say that too. In addition, it also depends on your taste of living, company of friends you keep. trying to keep up with the joneses will leave you jonsing big time.

Falzdbadtguy:
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 1:21pm On Dec 26, 2017

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 26, 2017
chukxy:

I heard someone saved 20,000 pounds in 6 months and a friend maybe about 18,000.
But it depends on the amount of overtime you work!
Or if you decide to squat with people , so you don't pay rent!
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by chukxy: 2:51pm On Dec 26, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
I earn way more than that.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 3:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
If you smoke and you are looking to quit, I fully recommend this vaping device. I started using it about 6 months ago, and I haven't touched a cigarette ever since. You fill it up with vaping liquid which basically contains nicotine and some flavouring, and you smoke it like normal. I know a lot of Nigerian immigrants do not smoke, but for those who do and are looking to quit without withdrawal symptoms, vaping is 95% safer. No smell, no carcinogens. It's basically smoking without all the bullshit.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Hardeybohwarley(m): 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2017
claremont:
If you smoke and you are looking to quit, I fully recommend this vaping device. I started using it about 6 months ago, and I haven't touched a cigarette ever since. You fill it up with vaping liquid which basically contains nicotine and some flavouring, and you smoke it like normal. I know a lot of Nigerian immigrants do not smoke, but for those who do and are looking to quit without withdrawal symptoms, vaping is 95% safer. No smell, no carcinogens. It's basically smoking without all the bullshit.
Same old Same old, nicotine is present in cigarette also.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 26, 2017
They won't even wave back on Fb.
bigtt76:
Very funny indeed when you hear some people say 'Africa or Nigeria is all we got so we need to remain behind and salvage it' ....I'm like salvage what? How? The best way to salvage it all is by taking off jaaare.

All those shouting America ...America .....abeg can they help to get one the much needed visa to stay there? NO ....ask them for tips on how they did it, none would volunteer, yet they come here to start their ....thing. Let people decide their future, not for you to tell them what is good based on your taste but rather allow them make their choice.

I remember when I started being concious on buying 'genuine leather' stuff because my friend was always hammering on genuine leather blah blah .....it took me years before I could ever get a genuine leather stuff to buy cause I was always skeptical of even the genuine leather products I see. same here too ....all the Americanas, if you can't help people get to America legally, stop beclouding their ambitions.

Happy Christmas UKMigrant ...well done.

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 6:59pm On Dec 26, 2017
Should be easy then.
Just make up your mind to save 1,000 pounds consciously every month and you'll be surprised how stingy you'll become

chukxy:
I earn way more than that.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
claremont:

i just don't get the need for a grown man to always have a need to put something in his mouth...lol
I guess it's the nicotine addiction and the endorphin pleasure centres.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:07pm On Dec 26, 2017
Another funny thing about the UK when i first got here was the greeting

Whenever people want to say "How are you?", they usually say " You're alright? or Y'alright?", The first time someone said this to me, i thought he was extrememly rude and was perplexed as to why a fellow black man should ask me if i'm mentally okay, simply because of my accent and he has been here longer than me!. Then i realized everybody was in on it.

So, now...Y'alright?, my response is "Yeah, fine thanks and you?"!

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 26, 2017
Also, this Boxing day sales is just rubbish, just to make you go out and spend money unnecessarily.
Except for some few shops with 50% deals, i suppose, if i'd been watching the item year long, but for TM Lewin to knock off 5 pounds off their shirts and you can only get the deal if you buy 4 shirts...Thank you sir....keep your shirts, I'll buy it when i actually need it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ridwan1821: 7:32pm On Dec 26, 2017
Hardeybohwarley:

You should have found it on Facebook. Mtchew.
Lol. Why ask a silly question at first. What do you want to do with "how I got to know about the thread"?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 8:02pm On Dec 26, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
Also, this Boxing day sales is just rubbish, just to make you go out and spend money unnecessarily.
Except for some few shops with 50% deals, i suppose, if i'd been watching the item year long, but for TM Lewin to knock off 5 pounds off their shirts and you can only get the deal if you buy 4 shirts...Thank you sir....keep your shirts, I'll buy it when i actually need it.

It's a fantastic deal actually for a TM Lewin shirt, especially if you are looking to replenish your wardrobe before the new year. I normally use them, as well as Next and Mark & Spencer for my daily wears to work. I prefer TM Lewin due to their amazing replacement policy. There was a time I bought a set of 2 shirts from them and the delivery was delayed by the delivery company. I told TM Lewin about it and they not only sent a replacement, but they also told me I can keep the one I initially ordered if it finally does arrive. I ended up having a set of 4 shirts for £40 in total, meaning each corporate shirt cost £10.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.