Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,128 members, 7,860,059 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 02:38 AM

The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant - Travel (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant (277702 Views)

Parenting In The UK As A Nigerian Migrant. / Adventures Of A UK Bound Nurse / The Adventures Of A Village Scholar In Germany (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (72) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 9:33pm On Dec 27, 2017
Uk migrant, have you chopped Pork belly yet

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 9:44pm On Dec 27, 2017
Went on this ride in winter wonderland and it was one of those things not on my budget like that, which was eventually obvious when at the top, my esophageal, rectal and urethral sphincters almost gave way synchronously, especially while dangling in the middle of the sky.

8 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Gerrard59(m): 9:52pm On Dec 27, 2017
shocked shocked shocked. Thread don run go far.

Be like say na medics full here. That means no one will get sick.. grin

Budgeting is not wrong, yes, even for barbing. I presume it is one of the perks that come in residing in a developed country (where things work 95% of the time). I do mental budgeting. Problem with budgeting here is the unexpected wahala that might prop up. Like generator spoil (this excludes maintenance costs), hike in fuel prices, transformer blow, different tax agencies to pay (and the taxes change anyhow) etc.

As for my future relocation plans, honestly, the ONLY thing that can persuade me not to is Nigeria providing uninterrupted power supply. Wahlai!! Should Nigeria provide constant power anytime soon (max 2 years), person fit change plans. Just obtain additional degree and come and takeover the family's business. But the question still begs my mind: Will Nigeria ever provide constant power to her citizens in this generation?

Talking about footie, do the UK folks go to watch live matches? Assuming I'm OP, that is where all my discretion income will spent on. Any match, good football doesn't know a club.

4 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 9:56pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
Any body have an opinion on the British lady being jailed in Egypt over smuggling Tramadol?

Going to visit your boyfriend, can't you just buy chocolate, na wa oh

What she did is a crime in not only the UK, but in any civilised country. Tramadol is a controlled drug under schedule 3, and it's a crime in the UK to be in possession of it without a valid prescription clarifying that it is for pain relief. The sheer volume of the medicine this lady carried with her to Egypt clearly shows an intent to deal in the drug. She definitely deserves to be jailed for it. The UK media are just trying to whip up public sentiment in total disregard of the fact that she is technically a drug dealer.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 9:58pm On Dec 27, 2017
6sco:
Gd evening everyone, ukmigrant, falzdbadguy, imconfused and every other contributor, u guyz have really enlightened us, Thank you. well I hope to travel to Canada in one or two years time ( from arguments and counter arguments here, I am staying away from UK lol). I am currently learning motion graphics and hope to start front end development(web design) in a months time, please are this skills lucrative abroad?

let me screenshot this msg so in two or three years time if I eventually make it, I will look back and tell other upcoming nairalanders that Rome was not built in a day.

Bros I don’t know oo.I’m just a local doc .sorry I can’t be of help
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 9:59pm On Dec 27, 2017
i used to get so much free money in Nigeria.

Doctor, just use this for the weekend...lol...50k
Doctor use this for credit...10k
Doctor take....96k
Doctor, check my staff....400k

Oh boy, 2+2= use the money write foreign exams, scraaaa

i miss the free money sha
Here, if they give you chocolate, they'll say patient is bribing you, who chocolate epp??

Gerrard59:
shocked shocked shocked. Thread don run go far.

Be like say na medics full here. That means no one will get sick.. grin

Budgeting is not wrong, yes, even for barbing. I presume it is one of the perks that come in residing in a developed country (where things work 95% of the time). I do mental budgeting. Problem with budgeting here is the unexpected wahala that might prop up. Like generator spoil (this excludes maintenance costs), hike in fuel prices, transformer blow, different tax agencies to pay (and the taxes change anyhow) etc.

As for my future relocation plans, honestly, the ONLY thing that can persuade me not to is Nigeria providing uninterrupted power supply. Wahlai!! Should Nigeria provide constant power anytime soon (max 2 years), person fit change plans. Just obtain additional degree and come and takeover the family's business. But the question still begs my mind: Will Nigeria ever provide constant power to her citizens in this generation?

Talking about footie, do the UK folks go to watch live matches? Assuming I'm OP, that is where all my discretion income will spent on. Any match, good football doesn't know a club.

6 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 9:59pm On Dec 27, 2017
Ralphlauren:

Loud it. grin

imconfused. I hope you can hear loud and clear.

I hear it loud and clear oga grin
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 10:02pm On Dec 27, 2017
Ralphlauren:

My sister. It’s well.

I agree that the buying the property will give you peace of mind and a sense of fulfilment.

An increase in your joint monthly income will also help.

Awitan, they will say UK people are stingy. I hope the anti-UK brigade can see how much money you spend on supporting family and friends in nigeria.

Thanks oga,Buying house & Increase in joint income is the plan..not too much from my end for now as NHS salaries usually follow a crap trajectory till consultants level.I cannot locum as it will take away time spent together so till then,it’s baby steps.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 27, 2017
claremont:

What she did is a crime in not only the UK, but in any civilised country. Tramadol is a controlled drug under schedule 3, and it's a crime in the UK to be in possession of it without a valid prescription clarifying that it is for pain relief. The sheer volume of the medicine this lady carried with her to Egypt clearly shows an intent to deal in the drug. She definitely deserves to be jailed for it. The UK media are just trying to whip up public sentiment in total disregard of the fact that she is technically a drug dealer.

So funny, the MP came out saying she was naive, How many foreigners are severely punished for being naive! here!!

I wonder how she was able to get 290 tablets of Tramadol for somebody else?

Is she a doctor, no! She must have pretended to be very sick to get so much tablets. The way the pharmacy eye dey chook here for even 1 tablet, you'll think it is cocaine

I also think the sister was shedding crocodile tears....very silly incident. don't think it deserves the publicity its getting
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Ralphlauren(m): 10:07pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

So funny, the MP came out saying she was naive, How many foreigners are severely punished for being naive! here!!

Is she a doctor, no! She must have pretended to be very sick to get so much tablets. The way the pharmacy eye dey chook here for even 1 tablet, you'll think it is cocaine

I also think the sister was shedding crocodile tears....very silly incident. don't think it deserves the publicity its getting

No UK doctor would have prescribed such quantity of tramadol to one patient.

She bought the drugs online most likely from an online “pharmacy” located in India.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 10:12pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

No pharmacy will dispense that volume of Tramadol at a go, it will be queried with the prescriber. It's either she feigned an illness and was stockpiling it, or she bought it from one of these dodgy online 'chemists' that sell it without a prescription.

2 Likes

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 10:12pm On Dec 27, 2017
Tramadol is a controlled drug,no one would ever prescribe 290 tablets at a go.
She bought it off the streets or on the internet,maybe dealing it was her plan but she got caught.
She deserves her sentence..Drugs are a serious problem and it’s ruining lives daily..
To prescribe it in hospital it has to go on the controlled drug prescription and passes through pharmacy,you write how many tablets and duration in words and numbers..it is not a medication to be toyed with at all..very addictive,imagine how many victims she would have sold to.
No pity here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by error4040: 10:17pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

The only thing i really value is my 49 inch tv which cost me 456 pounds and my PS4. every other thing is expendable
Word!!! grin grin grin
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 10:18pm On Dec 27, 2017
claremont:

No pharmacy will dispense that volume of Tramadol at a go, it will be queried with the prescriber. It's either she feigned an illness and was stockpiling it, or she bought it from one of these dodgy online 'chemists' that sell it without a prescription.

Honestly anyone who prescribes 290 tablets at a go will be sectioned cos it’s pure mental instability..even if she was ill before you get tramadol on the regular you must have chronic pain issues..
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 10:19pm On Dec 27, 2017
imconfused:
Tramadol is a controlled drug,no one would ever prescribe 290 tablets at a go.
She bought it off the streets or on the internet,maybe dealing it was her plan but she got caught.
She deserves her sentence..Drugs are a serious problem and it’s ruining lives daily..
To prescribe it in hospital it has to go on the controlled drug prescription and passes through pharmacy,you write how many tablets and duration in words and numbers..it is not a medication to be toyed with at all..very addictive,imagine how many victims she would have sold to.
No pity here

I bet they were all legally dispensed.... She might be on repeat prescriptions, got a few family members to do same....

Collected them over a period, hoarded and travelled with....

Tramadol has a decent shelf life......
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by bigtt76(f): 10:20pm On Dec 27, 2017
The 400K ....have you factored in getting your potable water supply, power supply, Internet and other amenities? Is the 400K after tax? So many questions to ask undecided

aje33:
With everything I've read here, I think if one can be making 400k and above per month in Abuja, he or she should be better off here than most folks in UK. Am I right?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 10:20pm On Dec 27, 2017
Claremont - - - Still awaiting your robust reply.....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 27, 2017
Lexusgs430:
Claremont - - - Still awaiting your robust reply.....
what's with the user name, na so you like Lexus nii??

I decided to call myself Falzdbadtguy as a camouflage against the dreadful bann-ophilic moderators.
I haven't been banned since i started using this moniker

Not like the previous was literally bann-attractive, but they'll feel less inclined with a catchy name innit
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by error4040: 10:27pm On Dec 27, 2017
claremont:

LoL how funny and this same Drugs is been sold in nigeria for N15 per Tab and N150 per Card(Openly by those Abokis)
Nigeria.is.a.Zoo
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 10:27pm On Dec 27, 2017
imconfused:

Honestly anyone who prescribes 290 tablets at a go will be sectioned cos it’s pure mental instability..even if she was ill before you get tramadol on the regular you must have chronic pain issues..

On the strict sense of controlled drug laws, it can legally be prescribed, but it's very bad practice by any doctor to prescribe such a large quantity. Clinically, a prescription of the quantity must be queried by whoever is dispensing it, the prescriber has to justify and have a valid reason why he/she is going against BMA and RPS good practice rules restricting quantities to no more than 30 days supply.

The bottomline is that the UK wouldn't allow an Egyptian to enter this country with 300-odd tablets of a controlled drug, but the same UK is trying to justify the evil actions of its citizen.

1 Like

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 10:27pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
what's with the user name, na so you like Lexus nii??

It's the poor man's Rolls Royce..... Once you own one, you would understand......
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by claremont(m): 10:28pm On Dec 27, 2017
Lexusgs430:

£2100 - £800(rent) - £600(train pass) - £200(HP) - £150 (Road tax, car insurance, fuel etc etc) - Council tax (£110) -
Electricity & Gas (£100) - Feeding and drinking (£80) - Mobile phone (£50) - Land line + wifi (£45)
etc etc etc.... Parking tickets etc etc Assuming this quotation is for a single person .......

Falzdbadtguy, some me a light way of saving £1000 pcm......

Car - This person already pays £600/month for train pass, he doesn't NEED a private car for now. He can save circa £4000/year there.

Rent - HMO and shared accommodation has already been explained. He can get a room with all inclusive for £400-£500/month in London. I paid £80/week living in one of those 7 years ago when I worked briefly as a naive young man in Hammersmith, West London. I was lucky that where I lived was a 30min walk from where I worked, so I also was literally spending nothing on transport. I was also lucky that in my first month a certain Nigerian female colleague took a liking of me and we developed a sweet relationship, she moved in with me and was cooking for us using her own resources on the expectation that we would go the marriage route. So, I was spending almost nothing on food as well. grin. The story changed when I woke up one morning and critically looked at her and discovered to my surprise, a few strands of grey hair on her head, that's when I came back to my senses and brought the whole thing to a close. God forbid bad thing! grin

Mobile phone/wifi etc - I have used Talktalk as my broadband provider for years. I pay £18.75 line rental which comes with unlimited broadband, the contract also comes with a free mobile sim with FREE 200 minutes per month. I don't pay mobile bills.

Add up everything together and you can save at least £1000/month on that net wage. It's definitely possible.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 10:28pm On Dec 27, 2017
Lexusgs430:

I bet they were all legally dispensed.... She might be on repeat prescriptions, got a few family members to do same....

Collected them over a period, hoarded and travelled with....

Tramadol has a decent shelf life......

Hmmm she looks too young and healthy to be on repeat prescriptions for tramadol.to be fair though looks won’t tell you health condition.
If she was a distributor she would have been selling around her not stockpiling for months and months and months.
It’s just too much trouble and too many tablets that’s why I think she bought it off the internet or the streets.
Nothing is impossible shaa.Hope she serves her sentence.Her fellow mules that were caught in Bali are now almost reality stars here.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by error4040: 10:30pm On Dec 27, 2017
grin
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 10:31pm On Dec 27, 2017
claremont:

On the strict sense of controlled drug laws, it can legally be prescribed, but it's very bad practice by any doctor who prescribes such a large quantity. Clinically, a prescription of the quantity must be queried by whoever is dispensing it, the prescriber has to justify and have a valid reason why he/she is going against BMA and RPS good practice rules restricting quantities to no more than 30 days supply.

The bottomline is that the UK wouldn't allow an Egyptian to enter this country with 300 odd tablets of a controlled drug, but the same UK is trying to justify the evil actions of its citizen.

They have to defend their citizens naa. cheesy cheesy..I hope that if by some twist of fate I’m in trouble,the media will campaign for me like this.
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 10:31pm On Dec 27, 2017
imconfused:

Hmmm she looks too young and healthy to be on repeat prescriptions for tramadol.to be fair though looks won’t tell you health condition.
If she was a distributor she would have been selling around her not stockpiling for months and months and months.
It’s just too much trouble and too many tablets that’s why I think she bought it off the internet or the streets.
Nothing is impossible shaa.Hope she serves her sentence.Her fellow mules that were caught in Bali are now almost reality stars here.

290 is not a lot in packaging quantities... You would easily get a box 50 tablets (very small box)...

290 tablets is less than 6 small boxes.....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:32pm On Dec 27, 2017
error4040:
LoL how funny and this same Drugs is been sold in nigeria for N15 per Tab and N150 per Card(Openly by those Abokis)
Nigeria.is.a.Zoo
i tried it once for a headache, i hated the dizzy effect i got from it, but they use it for premature ejaculation and getting high
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Nobody: 10:34pm On Dec 27, 2017
error4040:
Nigeria.is.a.Zoo

I was so surprised how it is treated like a real hard drug here....Something in Nigeria, just flies around like house fly.
They shouldn't hype it too much sha, before Nigerians start to show themselves smuggling it
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by imconfused(f): 10:34pm On Dec 27, 2017
Lexusgs430:

290 is not a lot in packaging quantities... You would easily get a box 50 tablets (very small box)...

290 tablets is less than 6 small boxes.....

Fair enough..
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 10:34pm On Dec 27, 2017
claremont:

On the strict sense of controlled drug laws, it can legally be prescribed, but it's very bad practice by any doctor to prescribe such a large quantity. Clinically, a prescription of the quantity must be queried by whoever is dispensing it, the prescriber has to justify and have a valid reason why he/she is going against BMA and RPS good practice rules restricting quantities to no more than 30 days supply.

The bottomline is that the UK wouldn't allow an Egyptian to enter this country with 300-odd tablets of a controlled drug, but the same UK is trying to justify the evil actions of its citizen.

Not really bad practice policy... If you know the amount of patients on controlled drugs + repeat prescriptions. You would understand why the NHS is broke....
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by Lexusgs430: 10:36pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:
i tried it once for a headache, i hated the dizzy effect i got from it, but they use it for premature ejaculation and getting high

Who needs tramadol, when viagra is readily available?
Re: The Adventures Of A New UK Migrant by error4040: 10:44pm On Dec 27, 2017
Falzdbadtguy:

I was so surprised how it is treated like a real hard drug here....Something in Nigeria, just flies around like house fly.
They shouldn't hype it too much sha, before Nigerians start to show themselves smuggling it
Trust yaq country pipo they wont seize to disappoint grin grin grin

@ukmigrant sir, sorry for spmming here! grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (72) (Reply)

Uk Visa - Visa Appeal Process / Bus Fare Within Nigeria / Pictures Of Nigeria - Show Us Nigeria Through Your Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.