Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,804 members, 7,810,094 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:37 PM

Is It Right To Talk About People's Misfortune In Our Prayers? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right To Talk About People's Misfortune In Our Prayers? (522 Views)

Is It Right To Be A Christian And Join Secret Society?; Pastor Shares Photos / Pope Francis Requests Roman Catholic Priests Be Given The Right To Get Married / Reasons Our Prayers Are Not Answered (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right To Talk About People's Misfortune In Our Prayers? by boringnigerian: 5:04pm On Oct 08, 2017
I've been meaning to post something about this for a while but I've been putting it off for a while.Today however, I'm not putting it off anymore so I'm throwing it to the house.

Sometimes I hear people pray and say things like "Dear Lord, I thank you I'm alive today. Some that woke up this morning like I did are now dead. Some are currently hanging on to life in the hospital. Different misfortunes have befallen so many people but I thank you Lord for I'm not counted amongst the dead or sick."

Personally, I feel there's something wrong with that kind of prayer. I mean, isn't it possible to thank God for his goodness without bringing in other people's misfortunes into it? I feel bringing the bad things that have happened to others into our prayers in relation to our giving thanks is like saying we are somehow more deserving than those that have suffered one misfortune or the other. Well, that's my personal opinion sha. Probably there's some angle to it i'm missing.
Re: Is It Right To Talk About People's Misfortune In Our Prayers? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Oct 08, 2017
boringnigerian:
I've been meaning to post something about this for a while but I've been putting it off for a while.Today however, I'm not putting it off anymore so I'm throwing it to the house.

Sometimes I hear people pray and say things like "Dear Lord, I thank you I'm alive today. Some that woke up this morning like I did are now dead. Some are currently hanging on to life in the hospital. Different misfortunes have befallen so many people but I thank you Lord for I'm not counted amongst the dead or sick."

Personally, I feel there's something wrong with that kind of prayer. I mean, isn't it possible to thank God for his goodness without bringing in other people's misfortunes into it? I feel bringing the bad things that have happened to others into our prayers in relation to our giving thanks is like saying we are somehow more deserving than those that have suffered one misfortune or the other. Well, that's my personal opinion sha. Probably there's some angle to it i'm missing.
You totally got it wrong. Those appreciating God are doing so because had it being it was them what would have being their fate.So they're grateful to God for his faithfulness and mercy on them. A Lady called Xyz complained of delay in getting a child after 2 years of marriage while another kwa complained that her husband has never touched her since she got married(10 years ). Upon hearing kwa's, story xyz had to stop complaining and appreciate God for her life and her husband.Had it being she didn't listen to kwa's story, she would have be wailing cursing God. The truth of the matter is there are many persons going through challenges that when you listen to them you would appreciate your creator. So it's bad thanking God and comparing yourself with those experiencing challenge of life,this is because you are lucky.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Talk About People's Misfortune In Our Prayers? by boringnigerian: 7:27pm On Oct 08, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You totally got it wrong. Those appreciating God are doing so because had it being it was them what would have being their fate.So they're grateful to God for his faithfulness and mercy on them. A Lady called Xyz complained of delay in getting a child after 2 years of marriage while another kwa complained that her husband has never touched her since she got married(10 years ). Upon hearing kwa's, story xyz had to stop complaining and appreciate God for her life and her husband.Had it being she didn't listen to kwa's story, she would have be wailing cursing God. The truth of the matter is there are many persons going through challenges that when you listen to them you would appreciate your creator. So it's bad thanking God and comparing yourself with those experiencing challenge of life,this is because you are lucky.

I disagree because there's nothing stopping one from appreciating God for his goodness without dragging people with misfortunes into it. God knows what your fate would have been if those things had happened to you so no need to bring it up. Why not just thank him for his goodness in your own life and leave others out of it?
Re: Is It Right To Talk About People's Misfortune In Our Prayers? by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 08, 2017
boringnigerian:

I disagree because there's nothing stopping one from appreciating God for his goodness without dragging people with misfortunes into it. God knows what your fate would have been if those things had happened to you so no need to bring it up. Why not just thank him for his goodness in your own life and leave others out of it?
Whether they drag people's misfortune or not doesn't change the fact that they didn't experience such predicament.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Truth About Money: How To Acquire Wealth Regardless Of Your Status / Aba Miracle Crusade 2017 Is Here Again / Best Piece On Tithing I Have Come Across So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.