Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,931 members, 7,952,751 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:04 PM

See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) (14994 Views)

The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees / Property Tax In Nigeria, What Every Property Owner Needs To Know / Urgent Abeokuta,ogun State Property Request....inspection Today!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by EazyMoh(m): 7:01pm On Oct 08, 2017
As a patriotic citizen I am totally in support of appropriate taxation of people to bring about the much needed development in our country. Especially as state governments are encouraged to source for revenue from within instead of the dysfunctional cap-in-hand survival on funds from Abuja.
We are al proud of Kano, Kaduna, Ogun, Rivers and the likes, states that generate about a quarter of their annual allocation. Although it seemed very meager, but with diligence and proper measures the IGR can be boosted to 100% within a decade.
However I was shocked to see the property tax brought to my uncle. 206,000 !!!
The most baffling part of it is that no one could explain how they arrived at the figures. Not even the people distributing the notices.
Honestly I don't think KNSG can generate anything tangible from this tax, because most people won't pay.
Hajiya Nafeesah any explanation for this.

1 Share

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 08, 2017
They are learning from Ambode shocked
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by ProWalker: 7:12pm On Oct 08, 2017
This is cheap, come to Lagos. This can't even pay for the survey plan

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by EazyMoh(m): 7:15pm On Oct 08, 2017
But the property was built more than 20years ago, also you can't compare living in Kano with living in Lagos.
Modified
Thanks to those that pointed out the rent was backdated. However, we discussed this issue last night with the owner of the house and he was sure he has been paying the so called house tax up till last year. He even recalled an incidence that his papers got misplaced in their office for months.
Another thin is that no house has less than 200k as tax due on our street which makes it look like the whole thing is planned.
Only those living in Kano would know this current administration's desperation to tax citizens. Last year they tried erecting a toll gate on a federal government road entering Kano. It has to be stopped via legal means.
As I said earlier, no one is gonna pay this tying!

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by eyeview: 10:15pm On Oct 08, 2017
Is it not an APC govt? They fear neither man nor God when they want to exploit their citizens

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by EazyMoh(m): 10:23pm On Oct 08, 2017
eyeview:
Is it not an APC govt? They fear neither man nor God when they want to exploit their citizens
APC Ehn? Hnmm well in 2019 it's gonna be different. No more solidarity for APC candidates just because they belong to PMB's party.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by KnowMore: 7:09am On Oct 09, 2017
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by DanielsParker(m): 7:09am On Oct 09, 2017
this is a joke
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by ahmstrng(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2017
IS THIS HOW WE WILL BE LOOKING?
Is this how we will be looking? Is this how we will be looking? When our future is getting exchanged for a tin of milk and one mudu of garri? When women old enough to be grandmothers, who should be sitting at home with their grand babies, dress up in faded mismatched Ankara outfit and sing in the sun for a man young enough to be their son in exchange for 200 naira?
Is this how we will be looking? When corruption has become corrupted that it is the corrupt that wants to fight corruption? When justice gets stifled and suffocated with the smell of naira notes or dollars as the ‘giver’ wishes? Where the National cake is shared and the crumbs is left for us to share? When the poor man who stole bread and a small bag of semo is burnt to death and the hungry boy who stole chicken is handed a death sentence?
Is this how we will be looking? When old cargoes are still on the queue to rule the country before they take their last breath? Suffocating the young, honest ones who have the interest of the people at heart? Buying people’s conscience and sense of reasoning with contracts and ministerial appointments?
Read more http://kanzahsays.com/is-this-how-we-will-be-looking/

6 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by BreezyCB(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2017
Next post abeq

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by InwehAkpevwe(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2017
9ja abeg which way

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by nony43(m): 7:10am On Oct 09, 2017
APC and extortion na 5%6

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by jbreezy: 7:11am On Oct 09, 2017
K
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by bigtt76(f): 7:12am On Oct 09, 2017
C'mon stop exaggerating the whole issue. Your uncle has back dated rents to pay thats why it is that high. The charges are from 1999 to date. If he has the receipts proving he paid previously, then he should tender such. Soon you will start saying its because you're from this tribe or that religion thats why they charged him that high ....please open your eye well.

Total Payable for 2017 is just about N30k (The ground rent itself is not more than N10k) the rest are backdated rents your uncle has not paid (if he has, then he should tender the receipts).

Updated:
See attached image for what OP's uncle is owing - 7 years ground rents!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6079861_6077715img20171006111200_jpeg_jpeg486c43a00721331b7c2061c8b741a1b0

EazyMoh:
As a patriotic citizen I am totally in support of appropriate taxation of people to bring about the much needed development in our country. Especially as state governments are encouraged to source for revenue from within instead of the dysfunctional cap-in-hand survival on funds from Abuja.
We are al proud of Kano, Kaduna, Ogun, Rivers and the likes, states that generate about a quarter of their annual allocation. Although it seemed very meager, but with diligence and proper measures the IGR can be boosted to 100% within a decade.
However I was shocked to see the property tax brought to my uncle. 206,000 !!!
The most baffling part of it is that no one could explain how they arrived at the figures. Not even the people distributing the notices.
Honestly I don't think KNSG can generate anything tangible from this tax, because most people won't pay.
Hajiya Nafeesah any explanation for this.

21 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by stillondmatter: 7:13am On Oct 09, 2017
k
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by deepwater(f): 7:14am On Oct 09, 2017
Sorry

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by nelsonB: 7:14am On Oct 09, 2017
Coming back
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by kay29000(m): 7:15am On Oct 09, 2017
Hmm
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by xreal: 7:15am On Oct 09, 2017
Who is their governor sef?
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Petrosonly: 7:16am On Oct 09, 2017
A government that didn't provide proper roads to the said properties is now demanding for huge tax...which will invariably get passed onto the tenants anyway shocked

4 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by thedondada(m): 7:17am On Oct 09, 2017
Kano. Okay oh
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by chloride6: 7:22am On Oct 09, 2017
Most of the bill comes from your uncle not paying up before.

grin

3 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by thedondada(m): 7:24am On Oct 09, 2017
Kano. Okay oh

Dumb government. How can you back date a debt? You start a law today and day people should pay from 18years ago.

Who does that.

3 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by uglyafonja: 7:26am On Oct 09, 2017
This is how they generate their high IGR
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by huptin(m): 7:28am On Oct 09, 2017
This is just a peep into what a restructured Nigeria will look like, every state will be at liberty to tax its citizen accordingly since they will be expected to depend less on the FG for survival.

Next time before joining the chorus of restructuring, think and ask yourself, is my state ready for this? what will be the revenue earning potentials of my state?

If I am staying out of my state of origin, how will this(restructuring) benefit me? As States will become more autonomous and may decide to even introduce a dichotomous tax system between indigenes and settlers.

Restructuring is the way to go, but then we must all be prepared to pay the price

6 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Iamnobody: 7:28am On Oct 09, 2017
bigtt76:
C'mon stop exaggerating the whole issue. Your uncle has back dated rents to pay thats why it is that high. The charges are from 1999 to date. If he has the receipts proving he paid previously, then he should tender such. Soon you will start saying its because you're from this tribe or that religion thats why they charged him that high ....please open your eye well.

Total Payable for 2017 is just about N30k (The ground rent itself is not more than N10k) the rest are backdated rents your uncle has not paid (if he has, then he should tender the receipts).

The only valid point I’ve seen the rest are busy shouting APC and PDP awon didinrin

9 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Pennywise(m): 7:32am On Oct 09, 2017
bigtt76:

What is the difference between ground rent and tenement rate paid to local govt? Is ground rent among the approved taxes for collection by the Federal govt Joint Tax Board? His uncle should seek legal advice and get this demand notice thrown out.

Most people are unaware that a lot of these demand notices are based on laws that local govts and state govts do not have the right to make

3 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by cosmatika(m): 7:34am On Oct 09, 2017
Next time before joining the chorus of restructuring, think and ask yourself, is my state ready for this? what will be the revenue earning potentials of my state?

If I am staying out of my state of origin, how will this(restructuring) benefit me? As States will become more autonomous and may decide to even introduce a dichotomous tax system between indigenes and settlers.

Restructuring is the way to go, but then we must all be prepared to pay the price[/quote] So it's because of paying tax u re against restructuring? Wat of the states that have been laying the golden egg,and are still been marginalised, U don't think about that one? Sense fall on u. We must restructure, or to ur tents oh Israel

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by charleff512(m): 7:35am On Oct 09, 2017
uglyafonja:
This is how they generate their high IGR
I Cant Tell You That The High IGR Comes From The Igbos And Other Tribes In France Road Market,hotels And Properties In Sabon Gari And NoMansland

2 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by LOL247(f): 7:36am On Oct 09, 2017
Oga na just N30k.. rest is from payment truancy..

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by DabuIIIT: 7:44am On Oct 09, 2017
EazyMoh:
But the property was built more than 20years ago, also you can't compare living in Kano with living in Lagos.

why? Aint kano "more populated than lagos?" grin and with more LGAs n allocation?
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by LordAdam16: 7:45am On Oct 09, 2017
huptin:
This is just a peep into what a restructured Nigeria will look like, every state will be at liberty to tax its citizen accordingly since they will be expected to depend less on the FG for survival.

Restructuring is the way to go, but then we must all be prepared to pay the price

Restructuring would likely be by regions.

And the issue with taxes is that it'd only get worse, whether we restructure or not. That much is certain.

So don't blackmail people into rejecting restructuring on the false hope that it'd magically make the government stop emphasizing on increasing their tax revenue.

With the current centralist government, it's hard to hold anyone responsible for the rot. In a restructured Nigeria, it'd be much easier. If you have a grievance, it'd be far easier to mobilize people to storm your state or regional capital, than travel all the way to Abuja.

If the country is working, few people would complain about a 0.05% property tax. In the US, the average is 1.15%. That's over 20 times higher.

But as the country stands, every kobo of tax paid is a waste. Complete waste and is actually extortion.

And another issue is that they're backdating the tax. If they started sharing this year, there's no reason why they have to calculate from the start of the fifth republic. The OP's uncle should liaise with the landlord's association and take the issue to the state house of assembly or charge the government to court.

-Lord

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cheap Lands In Ibadan For Sell. (Promo Price) / 21 Things You Experience When You Build Your House In Nigeria - Part 2 / Save Cost On Roofing Stage!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.