Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,778 members, 7,817,207 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:13 AM

See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) (14833 Views)

The Nigerian City With The Most Outrageous Accommodation Fees / Property Tax In Nigeria, What Every Property Owner Needs To Know / Urgent Abeokuta,ogun State Property Request....inspection Today!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by chukzyfcbb: 7:47am On Oct 09, 2017
So OP, You cannot see that your Uncle is an Onigbese. He has been dodging the Ground rent forming Mr landlord. Now his sins have caught up with him. He has owed the govt since 1999 but you couldn't read to see where that was written. Just jumped into conclusion like someone smoking grass.

Continue blaming the Govt and not your uncle for dodging his own share of his responsibilities.

Coming to Nl to make noise over your uncles irregularities. see him mouth

2 Likes

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Nobody: 7:55am On Oct 09, 2017
charleff512:
I Cant Tell You That The High IGR Comes From The Igbos And Other Tribes In France Road Market,hotels And Properties In Sabon Gari And NoMansland

Na wa for u people o. Even in kano?

But u are the one going there for ur own survival.
No one begged you to go.

I suggest u people carry all this ur highesT igr nonsense and go and pay it in d east to ur state governors.

Delusions!

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by happyblogger: 7:58am On Oct 09, 2017
KnowMore:
Ok

You can see how to check Npower Tax shortlisted names below

http://www.princessgist.com/npower-tax-shortlisted-candidates-list-in-pdf-portal-npower-gov-ng-n-tax-html/
na ur list be that or na your family list
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by chukzyfcbb: 7:59am On Oct 09, 2017
thedondada:
Kano. Okay oh

Dumb government. How can you back date a debt? You start a law today and day people should pay from 18years ago.

Who does that.
you are actually the dumb one. its because Nigeria doesn't enforce strict compliance with tax.

Or don't you know that all lands in this country rest under the power of the state Governor where the land is located.
You are nothing but a tenant even with your C/O.

In saner climes, he could even be on his way to jail for dodging his property tax over these years
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by huptin(m): 8:05am On Oct 09, 2017
LordAdam16:

Restructuring would likely be by regions.

And the issue with taxes is that it'd only get worse, whether we restructure or not. That much is certain.

So don't blackmail people into rejecting restructuring on the false hope that it'd magically make the government stop emphasizing on increasing their tax revenue.

With the current centralist government, it's hard to hold anyone responsible for the rot. In a restructured Nigeria, it'd be much easier. If you have a grievance, it'd be far easier to mobilize people to storm your state or regional capital, than travel all the way to Abuja.

If the country is working, few people would complain about a 0.05% property tax. In the US, the average is 1.15%. That's over 20 times higher.

But as the country stands, every kobo of tax paid is a waste. Complete waste and is actually extortion.

And another issue is that they're backdating the tax. If they started sharing this year, there's no reason why they have to calculate from the start of the fifth republic. The OP's uncle should liaise with the landlord's association and take the issue to the state house of assembly or charge the government to court.

-Lord

You mean your idea of restructuring? I support restructuring based on States and yes.. I am entitled to my own opinion. I am not scaring any one, in any case restructuring has become inevitable all I am saying is : restructuring just like democracy is not a magic wand that solves all our problems, If restructuring must work then our mind set must change.
You can't be tax averse and yet scream restructuring, it does not work that way, the oil that was fueling the irresponsible. behaviour of looking to FG for everything is depleting and every Nigerian must go back to the time tested method of paying tax to government and ensure that they monitor the government to ensure that the revenue earned is judiciously expended. Nothing scary in that? or is there?

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by AnanseK(m): 8:10am On Oct 09, 2017
Where is the special form for Igbos? A special property tax form for Igbos will be part of the restructuring.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by LordAdam16: 8:11am On Oct 09, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

you are actually the dumb one. its because Nigeria doesn't enforce strict compliance with tax.

Or don't you know that all lands in this country rest under the power of the state Governor where the land is located.

In saner climes, he could even be on his way to jail for dodging his property tax over these years

In saner climes, he wouldn't have to dodge his property tax, because there'd be absolutely no reason to.

In the US, the government uses property taxes to fund public schools. And as a citizen you can easily find out how much was tax was generated and how much was spent per school district. In fact, during the elections, some states (Oklahoma and Washington for example) even put in on ballot for residents to vote if they would agree to a marginal increase in tax so they can pay teachers more.

As such owing property tax isn't just civil irresponsibility but evil, because it would affect your child or child of your neighbor (if you dig private schools) going to quality public schools.

Nigeria is a sh*thole, because no one knows where that tax would end up.

So don't bring that saner climes nonsense to this place. The government knows why they don't enforce strict tax compliance with citizens (but do with companies), because they know at some point it'd be counter-productive for them as citizens get fed up and revolt because they are overpaying without accountability. That's why they're doing things in piecemeal fashion.

-Lord
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by valentineuwakwe(m): 8:15am On Oct 09, 2017
I hope tomorrow someone will not say the property tax law is targeted at the ibos. . .hahaha. .well its a welcome development if we pay tax and gov't account for it. .where e go pain pass be say, wen you dey pay tax and you are not seeing the results or benefits. .
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by LordAdam16: 8:20am On Oct 09, 2017
huptin:

You mean your idea of restructuring? I support restructuring based on States and yes.. I am entitled to my own opinion. I am not scaring any one, in any case restructuring has become inevitable all I am saying is : restructuring just like democracy is not a magic wand that solves all our problems, If restructuring must work then our mind set must change.
You can't be tax averse and yet scream restructuring, it does not work that way, the oil that was fueling the irresponsible. behaviour of looking to FG for everything is depleting and every Nigerian must go back to the time tested method of paying tax to government and ensure that they monitor the government to ensure that the revenue earned is judiciously expended. Nothing scary in that? or is there?

You can't expect people's mindset to change when the status quo remains the same. People would pay taxes when the system works. Nigerians are living abroad in working countries and paying taxes.

You don't expect ppl to overpay for electricity, source for water themselves, pay for their security (civil defense), ply unsafe roads, survive without regular salaries, and then tell them to change their mindset. That's an insult. Change your ways and they'll change their mindset. It's simple reciprocity.

Because it is far easier for the government to change their ways. Far easier.

You were talking about paying the price of restructuring, like increasing taxes was only going to happen under restructuring. Which is scary.

And I'm saying, restructure or not, taxes will increase and compliance will become stricter. So, it's better to restructure so you can better monitor and demand accountability, than stay in a centrist, non-restructured, wasteful Nigeria where you wouldn't be able to monitor or demand accountability.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by LordAdam16: 8:24am On Oct 09, 2017
valentineuwakwe:
I hope tomorrow someone will not say the property tax law is targeted at the ibos. . .hahaha. .well its a welcome development if we pay tax and gov't account for it. .where e go pain pass be say, wen you dey pay tax and you are not seeing the results or benefits. .

The taxes people have been paying, are we seeing the results or benefits?

-Lord
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Maduawuchukwu(m): 8:55am On Oct 09, 2017
huptin:
This is just a peep into what a restructured Nigeria will look like, every state will be at liberty to tax its citizen accordingly since they will be expected to depend less on the FG for survival.

Next time before joining the chorus of restructuring, think and ask yourself, is my state ready for this? what will be the revenue earning potentials of my state?

If I am staying out of my state of origin, how will this(restructuring) benefit me? As States will become more autonomous and may decide to even introduce a dichotomous tax system between indigenes and settlers.

Restructuring is the way to go, but then we must all be prepared to pay the price

I totally support increased state taxes. It will produce greater revenue as well as make people more willing to hold their state excos to account but in a restructured Nigeria, there will be no indigene/settler dichotomy in tax. The constitution outlaws discrimination.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by Reference(m): 8:59am On Oct 09, 2017
LordAdam16:

In saner climes, he wouldn't have to dodge his property tax, because there'd be absolutely no reason to.

In the US, the government uses property taxes to fund public schools. And as a citizen you can easily find out how much was tax was generated and how much was spent per school district. In fact, during the elections, some states (Oklahoma and Washington for example) even put in on ballot for residents to vote if they would agree to a marginal increase in tax so they can pay teachers more.

As such owing property tax isn't just civil irresponsibility but evil, because it would affect your child or child of your neighbor (if you dig private schools) going to quality public schools.

Nigeria is a sh*thole, because no one knows where that tax would end up.

So don't bring that saner climes nonsense to this place. The government knows why they don't enforce strict tax compliance with citizens (but do with companies), because they know at some point it'd be counter-productive for them as citizens get fed up and revolt because they are overpaying without accountability. That's why they're doing things in piecemeal fashion.

-Lord

Exactly. Great analysis.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by fk001(m): 9:11am On Oct 09, 2017
EazyMoh:

APC Ehn? Hnmm well in 2019 it's gonna be different. No more solidarity for APC candidates just because they belong to PMB's party.

What makes you think it is APC fault?
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by TundeHashim(m): 9:41am On Oct 09, 2017
EazyMoh:
As a patriotic citizen I am totally in support of appropriate taxation of people to bring about the much needed development in our country. Especially as state governments are encouraged to source for revenue from within instead of the dysfunctional cap-in-hand survival on funds from Abuja.
We are al proud of Kano, Kaduna, Ogun, Rivers and the likes, states that generate about a quarter of their annual allocation. Although it seemed very meager, but with diligence and proper measures the IGR can be boosted to 100% within a decade.
However I was shocked to see the property tax brought to my uncle. 206,000 !!!
The most baffling part of it is that no one could explain how they arrived at the figures. Not even the people distributing the notices.
Honestly I don't think KNSG can generate anything tangible from this tax, because most people won't pay.
Hajiya Nafeesah any explanation for this.
Bro, I'll advice you go to Kano Inland Revenue Service to lodge a complain and ask them how they arrived at such bogus amount. If u find their explanations unsatisfactory, apply to their Tax Appeal tribunal or the state high court. The reason for this is that if you don't complain and take actions now, they may come up with a more ridiculous amount next year and the year after it ad infinitum...The way state governments are taxing people currently ehn, you'll think there's no tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by bigtt76(f): 9:59am On Oct 09, 2017
@embolden ...you may have a point there but his uncle signed and attest to the documents granting him the landed property from the state government to pay all these charges and others which will be introduced as time goes by ....until he is able to repudiate that, I don't see a case here.

BTW see the list of approved taxes from the Joint Tax Board [url]http://www.jtb.gov.ng/sites/default/files/GAZETTE0001%20%281%29%20%281%29.pdf[/url]
Pennywise:

What is the difference between ground rent and tenement rate paid to local govt? Is ground rent among the approved taxes for collection by the Federal govt Joint Tax Board? His uncle should seek legal advice and get this demand notice thrown out.

Most people are unaware that a lot of these demand notices are based on laws that local govts and state govts do not have the right to make
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by huptin(m): 10:15am On Oct 09, 2017
LordAdam16:

You can't expect people's mindset to change when the status quo remains the same. People would pay taxes when the system works. Nigerians are living abroad in working countries and paying taxes.

You don't expect ppl to overpay for electricity, source for water themselves, pay for their security (civil defense), ply unsafe roads, survive without regular salaries, and then tell them to change their mindset. That's an insult. Change your ways and they'll change their mindset. It's simple reciprocity.

Because it is far easier for the government to change their ways. Far easier.

You were talking about paying the price of restructuring, like increasing taxes was only going to happen under restructuring. Which is scary.

And I'm saying, restructure or not, taxes will increase and compliance will become stricter. So, it's better to restructure so you can better monitor and demand accountability, than stay in a centrist, non-restructured, wasteful Nigeria where you wouldn't be able to monitor or demand accountability.

Well this is like '' the egg vs hen" debate, which needs to come first? A change in people's mentality or a change in Government thinking?

While it is might look easier for the government to change its ways rather than the people to change their mentality, pray tell me how many governments worldwide have brought change to their people without being forced by the same people.

Even this democracy we have, did the military willingly gave up power? The people are the engine of change, has it not been said that the people gets the government they deserve?

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by EazyMoh(m): 11:14am On Oct 09, 2017
LordAdam16:

Restructuring would likely be by regions.

And the issue with taxes is that it'd only get worse, whether we restructure or not. That much is certain.

So don't blackmail people into rejecting restructuring on the false hope that it'd magically make the government stop emphasizing on increasing their tax revenue.

With the current centralist government, it's hard to hold anyone responsible for the rot. In a restructured Nigeria, it'd be much easier. If you have a grievance, it'd be far easier to mobilize people to storm your state or regional capital, than travel all the way to Abuja.

If the country is working, few people would complain about a 0.05% property tax. In the US, the average is 1.15%. That's over 20 times higher.

But as the country stands, every kobo of tax paid is a waste. Complete waste and is actually extortion.

And another issue is that they're backdating the tax. If they started sharing this year, there's no reason why they have to calculate from the start of the fifth republic. The OP's uncle should liaise with the landlord's association and take the issue to the state house of assembly or charge the government to court.

-Lord
Thanks Lord for your contribution.
The property isn't even rented. It's a six bedroom flat with 2 Bqs. Less than 10 people live on the property. The only thing is the location and the size of the land, about 2000sqm.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by EazyMoh(m): 11:44am On Oct 09, 2017
Maduawuchukwu:

I totally support increased state taxes. It will produce greater revenue as well as make people more willing to hold their state excos to account but in a restructured Nigeria, there will be no indigene/settler dichotomy in tax. The constitution outlaws discrimination.
I believe with loss of allocation from federal government sourced from oil producing areas, other regions would have to exploit what they have including taxing non-indegines.
For example the main benefit for Kano state in Nigeria is oil money, that of Anambra is vast market for her citizens to exploit. So definitely there's gonna be indigene-settler dichotomy just like in the first republic.
If citizens can be deported today from one state to another despite its illegality, what more for a restructured Nigeria with autonomous regional governments.

1 Like

Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by LordAdam16: 1:17pm On Oct 09, 2017
huptin:

Well this is like '' the egg vs hen" debate, which needs to come first? A change in people's mentality or a change in Government thinking?

While it is might look easier for the government to change its ways rather than the people to change their mentality, pray tell me how many governments worldwide have brought change to their people without being forced by the same people.

Even this democracy we have, did the military willingly gave up power? The people are the engine of change, has it not been said that the people gets the government they deserve?

The answer to your question is every democratic nation in North America and Europe.

Or would you tell me it's the Chinese people that forced the Communist government to change their economic policy also?

To whom much is given, much is expected.

Do the people have to hold the government accountable? Yes. Can Nigerians hold the government accountable with the current structure? No. That's the core reason for restructuring.

Are the people in government id**ts? Do they remain in power forever? Wouldn't they become citizens afterwards? If a revolt happens wouldn't their heads be on the chopping block? Why then is it that they have to be forced to improve the conditions of living before they do so? Or don't they learn from history.

There is no perfect government on the planet. But all the right-thinking ones know the best way to stay in control is to make things work.

I assure you that if only half the money entering the government's coffers is being judiciously spent, Nigerians would be a whole lot less tax-averse.

If the government wants more taxes, they should improve. If they don't want to, they can go f**k themselves until the sh*t they're doing blows back on them.

-Lord
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by AlwaysUltraPad: 1:26pm On Oct 09, 2017
ProWalker:
This is cheap, come to Lagos. This can't even pay for the survey plan
nonsense.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by ikp120(m): 1:57pm On Oct 09, 2017
ProWalker:
This is cheap, come to Lagos. This can't even pay for the survey plan
I guess you don't even know how property tax is calculated in Lagos. sad
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by MrBONE2(m): 7:52pm On Oct 09, 2017
charleff512:
I Cant Tell You That The High IGR Comes From The Igbos And Other Tribes In France Road Market,hotels And Properties In Sabon Gari And NoMansland
including Ibrahim Taiwo Roadgrin
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by thedondada(m): 8:44pm On Oct 09, 2017
chukzyfcbb:

Really.. my question is simple..

Was the tax in effect from 1999. If yes then the guy should pay up. If no then they don't have a thing on him.

Has the law been there since then. That was my question..

Finally you are an idiot.
Re: See The New Outrageous Kano State Property Tax (pics) by charleff512(m): 8:29am On Oct 10, 2017
janellemonae:

Na wa for u people o. Even in kano?

But u are the one going there for ur own survival.
No one begged you to go.

I suggest u people carry all this ur highesT igr nonsense and go and pay it in d east to ur state governors.

Delusions!
Get Your Facts Right Before Making Unguarded Comments.I Work With The FG and I Am Not From South East.Good Day!

(1) (2) (Reply)

FULLY DETACHED LUXURY 4 BEDROOM AT THE AMBIANCE RESIDENCES ABRAM ADESANYA AJAH! / Serviced Plots At Golden Heritage Estate, Mowe With C of O (See Pics)! / Abuja Records 30% Decline On Tenancy Fees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.