Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,697 members, 7,831,177 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:54 PM

Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations (51579 Views)

Maikanti Baru Is Dead / Ibe Kachikwu Shakes Baru At The Nigerian Economic Summit, Earlier Today / Ibe Kachikwu Exposes Maikanti Baru Through His Letter To Buhari (Pictured) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by jamace(m): 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
Uncle Baru don DaBaru NNPC period!
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Eruditor: 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2017
I wonder why people are not seeing the major issue with Baru's rejoinder. Based on what is above, even PMB (as a minister of petroleum resources) is useless with respect to approving contracts except above a certain threshold.

Even when such contracts are above that certain threshold, it is only at the discretion of the NNPC through the NTB that he/she may be acquainted with such knowledge.

The rule stating that the NNPC board only approves NNPCs budget and plans- and has no say in approving contracts is just a gross and wanton show of ineptitude on the part of everyone involved.

Baru and his GEDs can sit at any point in time and approve contracts without recourse to the President, FEC, Minister(s) of Petroleum or NNPC board as long as it does not exceed a certain amount. That is incredibly inane.

3 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by castrokins(m): 1:56pm On Oct 09, 2017
Bros, Sincerely Speaking I Don Answer This Your Question Tire For Queue. Some Will Ask And Then Move Aside, Forming Too Big To Join The Queue, Only To Come Back And Begin To Argue With Whoever Moved With The Queue.

KunkAcid:

shocked

Sir,

Are you the last person on the queue?
I am right behind you grin

2 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Reptyle(m): 2:01pm On Oct 09, 2017
ochardbaby:

Dem go dabaru everything,government magic.

Lol. Just say you don't understand the "long story" contained in the GMD's response. grin grin Which one be "dem go dabaru everything?" na wetin dem dabaru for there? cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by yhemster(m): 2:03pm On Oct 09, 2017
In other news, the Minister of State for Petroleum is a powerless office. That isn't a coincidence to me. Mr. Minister, ur overseeing power over NNPC isn't legally bind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Jessewizy(m): 2:06pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:
I must confess, this is a well detailed and packaged sound response quoting facts and figures with events and present underlying conditions.

As it is always said, there is always the second and third story to every issue, and its not the first to break the silence that is justified.

I like the role the presidency played against pressure to act without giving the opportunity to the other party to respond, this shows maturity against when GEJ sacked sanusi without investigating.

So the next thing is for an independent body to look into these weighty allegations and give recommendations to be acted and implemented.

In addition.

The way NNPC is structured now from what I read, it will be difficult for one person like Diezani to take absolutely decision & control of major contract unlike before.

Some one is annoyed that he doesn't have absolute power and influence in taking control as he personally wanted, but the man should understand what the act says and stipulates. I believe the act is the best for the industry.
You just typed trash.****. It took Baru more than a week to come up with these nonsense analysis and nonexistent statistics. Probably after the minister had a meeting with the president, now for your information, The minister will either decide to keep shut or he will agree with those fake analysis and tender an unreserved apology. The game is on the citizens and as usual, it will be swept under the carpet. $26 billion is gone. The minister has been cautioned. He has no choice but to keep mum. After all, let SANITY prevail. ****

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 09, 2017
Mmmm no wonder money has been missing from nnpc coffer. contract can be awarded without the president knowledge if they want. no wonder deizeni is swimming in billions. what a lay down rule. who made such a rule in first place, OK avenue to siphoned money
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by skedman(m): 2:13pm On Oct 09, 2017
harmless011:
Typical damage control, what makes the petroleum minister ignore the memo from his minister of state. If not that the memo was leaked it would have been business as usual. Nonsense APC government.
you have refuse to educate yourself .please read it all over again whether you can still bring out something tangible fron the write up rather than concluding so fast.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by AlanSugar(m): 2:19pm On Oct 09, 2017
ninocia18:
It's disheartening how shameless these men are. The worst thing that can happen to us is to take sides or bring tribalism into this. How can two grown men who are heading an institution not know the whereabouts funds entrusted to their care? See how they just come online and be parading their irresponsibilities. I don't blame you people sha. Continue.

Hmmm,... "don't know the whereabouts funds entrusted to their care..." whatever that means! Pls how much does it hurt to read before commenting or as a wailer you are hell bent in believing that money is missing!

3 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by TTOPSON(m): 2:20pm On Oct 09, 2017
donuba69:
See my account balance is working for all mtn sim

This guy is a 419. Try it at your own peril!
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Bobby808: 2:26pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:
I must confess, this is a well detailed and packaged sound response quoting facts and figures with events and present underlying conditions.

As it is always said, there is always the second and third story to every issue, and its not the first to break the silence that is justified.

I like the role the presidency played against pressure to act without giving the opportunity to the other party to respond, this shows maturity against when GEJ sacked sanusi without investigating.

So the next thing is for an independent body to look into these weighty allegations and give recommendations to be acted and implemented.

In addition.

The way NNPC is structured now from what I read, it will be difficult for one person like Diezani to take absolutely decision & control of major contract unlike before.

Some one is annoyed that he doesn't have absolute power and influence in taking control as he personally wanted, but the man should understand what the act says and stipulates. I believe the act is the best for the industry.
You are no doubt a YESMAN and most likely to be a Fulani man too. Baru and Buhari are thieves including you based on that well cooked response. If this story was against GEJ and his family, both men would have been suspended but because this issue involved Buhari himself. Anyway I trust the NASS. They willl ingestigate it but am sure Baru will fail at the end because his defence is watery. His inner mind was to arrange as much funds as possible for Buhari and it has failed. Am sure too that there are more of these stories that have gone through.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by OAFMods: 2:26pm On Oct 09, 2017
hooklover:
Wen u have smart folks like ibe once VP of Exxon to play second fiddle to buhari who is the petroleum minister,then u have disaster in the making..

Y cant buhari hand the ministry of petroleum to Ibe to handle. BUHARI does not know how the oil sector operates.How can he Carry Nigeria load and petroleum sector is 2much for Buhari and he has a very low IQ .

if not greed wat is buhari doing as minister of petroleum. I though he was a sincere man but i begin to c buhari has ulterior motives.Aboki does not know and yet will not allow folks that know to get it done with results..

IS CLEAR buhari planning for 2019 elections with NNPC funds

There will always be a problem if you Igbo are not allowed to reign supreme. If Kachi is even President of Exxon Mobil and a minister not a minister of state he will always report to the supreme Buhari so the noise you made just like Kachi on Baru is baseless. You will not be allowed to have all that you want your own way. This exact law was in place when the same Kachi was the GMD and no one cried fowl.

3 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by thunderbabs: 2:27pm On Oct 09, 2017
U tink u can bore me with oil contract terms and jargons, u re doing urself fa undecided nXt topic plz
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by TheShopKeeper(m): 2:39pm On Oct 09, 2017
All the three parties involved in with NNPC and the Ministry of Petroleum should be removed...PMB as the Minister, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu as Minister of state and Dr. Baru as GMD of NNPC...

With this robust reply from NNPC, I will be glad for Dr Kachikwu to provide his own reply...this is the kind of information we want in the country to help in curtailing excess power and corruption in the oil and gas industry...

By the way, we still need to know the reason(s) why some many people from the Northern region were appointed into various positions by the GMD of NNPC Dr. Baru?

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Lastanza: 2:42pm On Oct 09, 2017
icon8:
Now that we've heard/read from both parties, this should be investigated by an independent body/party, vis-a-viz Kachikwu's allegations, and if established that Kachikwu cried wolf when there was none, he should be summarily dismissed for undermining the Government he's a part of, especially for the baseless allegations, and for leaking the letter to the press (which I believe he did!).

He (Kachikwu), of all people, should know that a Minister of State is a "mere spare tyre", only as effective/influential as his principal (the substantive Minister) wants him to be. Buhari has successfully undermined him, by attending to the GMD's requests and granting approvals without his (Minister of State's) knowledge.

Sad, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Kachikwu should honorably resign (if he's got any honor in him) or should be fired without further delay. His position has become untenable!
Every one of you keep dwelling on the part of his irrelevance as the minister of state as though you all think we don't know. Mr, his allegation of being sidelined in based on his position as the chairman of board of NNPC and not as the minister of state for petroleum.
Learn to be objective.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by datribune: 2:45pm On Oct 09, 2017
Brilliant, detailed response wit facts & figures frm d NNPC. How come Kachikwu does not even know d boundaries of his powers?. Maybe he's not as intelligent as I used to think. #Shame

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by successman1234: 2:48pm On Oct 09, 2017
since Baru came in, tell me one single acheivement he accomplished.

I can name many kachukwu did as NNPC boss.

This has nothing to do with a North and South but simply providing value and result.

Since Baru has been appointed GMD, i am not aware of any reform happening in the NNPC.

All i hear is NNPC going to look for oil in Borno.

remember Kachkwu made a promise to resign if Nigeria keeps importing petrol by 2019. it shows you the level of confident he has in himself.

I hate seeing hardwork not being rewarded.

Good hands are not easy to get, it so annoying you have one and you let it rot away.

Am not saying kachukwu is the best, but trust me i know when i see a talent.

The current state nigeria is in, does not require people contented with the status quo, we need innovative people, driven to deliver result.

it is the status quo we keep doing that has led the country and NNPC to where it is today.

Even look at the composition of the board.

I shake my head in surprise.

And the talk about kachukwu throwing the towel, is not a wise one.

He should resign and then sit at home abi?

Another thing you should also think of is the damage this would have on other talents in the private sector who FGN could use to revive the economy.

Looking at how kachukwu has been messed up, how many do you think will genuinely desire to come into Government.

Even the letter to the president, kachukwu was talking on how to be dynamic and position the corporation in a great path. anyhow i knw u wont get it so i rest my case.

GavelSlam:

In all this, it looks like you are more interested in Kachikwu being the final say in contracts. Why you would want this is up to you.

But I would come to Baru's defence here.

Simply because Kachikwu was with ExxonMobil doesn't make him more intelligent or more understanding of the workings of the industry. Certainly, not in Nigeria.

The repositioning of Kachikwu to minister of state and the upliftment of Baru to GMD has not yielded a negative impact in the industry. So trying to personalise this only displays prejudice.

If Kachikwu wasn't comfortable being minister of state, he should have thrown in the towel.

If he is only concerned about contract award in NNPC then one can conclude he is no longer serving the full interest of the nation.

It is worthy to note, Kachikwu has not suggested misappropriation by BARU. Rather, he has implied non commitance to due process which Baru in his repartee has roundly deflected.

Let's stop this issue of North vs south when we look at issues and judge strictly on the merit of the case from either party.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Blue3k(m): 2:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
I think the war is over. Baru won this fight I'm calling it. Everything legally on his side and the fact is when Kachikwu was in charge he didn't think to suggest rule change.

Continuing, the NNPC argued that from the outset, the law and the rules guiding the NNPC do not require a review or discussion with the Minister of State or the NNPC Board on contractual matters, insisting that what was required was the processing and approval of contracts by the NNPC Tenders Board, the President in his executive capacity or as Minister of Petroleum, or the Federal Executive Council (FEC), as the case may be. 
Furthermore, contrary to the assertion of Dr. Kachikwu that he was never involved in the 2017/2018 contracting process for the Crude Oil Term Contracts, Dr. Kachikwu was in fact expressly consulted by the GMD and his recommendations were taken into account in following through the laid down procedure

As can be seen, all these clarifications were sought and obtained prior to August, 2015 and were implemented by Dr. Kachikwu as the GMD of NNPC. Dr. Kachikwu also constituted the first NNPC Tenders Board on 8th September, 2015 and continued to chair it until his exit in June, 2016. 

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by AngelicBeing: 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2017
Keneking:
Amazing

North 2
South 0

Baru beats Kachukwu to this and qualifies on technical grounds grin grin grin grin
tongue

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by datribune: 2:55pm On Oct 09, 2017
Lastanza:

Every one of you keep dwelling on the part of his irrelevance as the minister of state as though you all think we don't know. Mr, his allegation of being sidelined in based on his position as the chairman of board of NNPC and not as the minister of state for petroleum.
Learn to be objective.

But it has been shown in this NNPC response dat he was never sidelined.
In all of these, nothing has to do wit d duties of Kachikwu, Minister of State & Chairman of NNPC board.
If he feels d powers assigned to his appointment as min of state & NNPC board chairman is inadequate, he should do d needful.

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by nairanaira12: 2:56pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:

In addition.

But why was kachikwu's memo ignored until it was leaked to the public?
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by AngelicBeing: 2:57pm On Oct 09, 2017
brainpulse:

In addition.

Gbam cool
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by PFRB: 2:57pm On Oct 09, 2017
Newbiee:
Ok, Kachikwu seems to be working for IPOB. The guy just cooked-up figures to tarnish the image of NNPC in particular and the administration in general. I hope he would be sanctioned, he is the real insubbordinator. I think the Kachikwu guy is suffering from the hang over of the privilege done to him by Mr. President to allow him been the GMD as well as the minister of state for petroleum at the same time. After effect of Alpha & Omega thing syndrome affecting him.

So NNPC gives open ended lifting contracts to companies. When he says that contracts are taken to FEC did we ask him who takes the contracts to FEC. Does NNPC GMD have a seat in FEC??

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by Blue3k(m): 2:58pm On Oct 09, 2017
PFRB:

So NNPC gives open ended lifting contracts to companies. When he says that contracts are taken to FEC did we ask him who takes the contracts to FEC. Does NNPC GMD have a seat in FEC??

He said those contracts don't require their approval because they are procurement contracts and all monies go to federation account. He doesn't need a seat to present to FEC board. Do you need board member seat to present to board of executive?

They are merely the shortlisting of prospective off-takers of crude oil and suppliers of petroleum products under agreed terms. These transactions were not required to be presented as contracts to the Board of NNPC and, of course, the monetary value of any crude oil eventually lifted by any of the companies goes straight into the federation account and not to the company.

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by BlueMurder(m): 3:00pm On Oct 09, 2017
Detailed response! Makes me remember ex-CBN Governor Sanusi's long but brilliant response to FRCN's allegations in 2014. Whoever advised Kachikwu to write that letter did not have his interest at heart. My take is that he is struggling mightily to come to terms with the less glamorous office of Minister of State. But I expect that he would have known what the position of Minister of State entailed before accepting the appointment.

I also detect some sort of ego battle between Baru and Kachikwu. I'm not sure they had a good working relationship when the latter was NNPC GMD.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by datribune: 3:03pm On Oct 09, 2017
successman1234:
since Baru came in, tell me one single acheivement he accomplished.

I can name many kachukwu did as NNPC boss.

This has nothing to do with a North and South but simply providing value and result.

Since Baru has been appointed GMD, i am not aware of any reform happening in the NNPC.

All i hear is NNPC going to look for oil in Borno.

remember Kachkwu made a promise to resign if Nigeria keeps importing petrol by 2019. it shows you the level of confident he has in himself.

I hate seeing hardwork not being rewarded.

Good hands are not easy to get, it so annoying you have one and you let it rot away.

Am not saying kachukwu is the best, but trust me i know when i see a talent.

The current state nigeria is in, does not require people contented with the status quo, we need innovative people, driven to deliver result.

it is the status quo we keep doing that has led the country and NNPC to where it is today.

Even look at the composition of the board.

I shake my head in surprise.

And the talk about kachukwu throwing the towel, is not a wise one.

He should resign and then sit at home abi?

But dis NNPC response shows dat Kachikwu was ignorant of d boundaries of his powers. All his allegations hav been debunked. All in all, nothing done had to do wit d duties of d Min of state & Chairman of NNPC board. If he's dissatisfied wit d limits of his powers, he should do d honourable thing than embarrassing himself. He fall my hand big time.

2 Likes

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by middlebelter(m): 3:08pm On Oct 09, 2017
If in the process of getting approval from the Senior Minister of Petroleum Resources (Mr President) and you didn't cc the minister of state for Petroleum Resources, and then of what use is the office of the minister? If the act guiding NNPC award of contracts is deffective and there nothing to hide, and why will you deliberately ignore the minister just because the act gives you leeway to access president /minister.
From your response, I it is clear that the President PMB is complicit in the whole mess. If you have a BOD for NNPC and a managing Director of a government owned company decided to interpret the act implying your minister of state should not know or approve details, or despite knowing how busy you are, and ease with which to your chief of staff can block people from seeing you, and I shouldn't you simply refer such Chief Excutive to the minister of state or at best always ask both to see you whenever you have major approvals to make? I Why àmì feeling some people are taking us for granted?

Mr President, and you are not managing you cabinet well. Indeed, you are giving us reasons to believe the speculations in the media. This matter will not be fully addressed untill Mr President give us his own side of the story. He may choose to ignore us anyway.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by successman1234: 3:08pm On Oct 09, 2017
datribune:

But dis NNPC response shows dat Kachikwu was ignorant of d boundaries of his powers. All his allegations hav been debunked. All in all, nothing done had to do wit d duties of d Min of state & Chairman of NNPC board. If he's dissatisfied wit d limits of his powers, he should do d honourable thing than embarrassing himself. He fall my hand big time.

and what is the honorable thing?

Resign and sit at home.

How dumb can that be.

This is not a case of corruption on his head, or a case of bad name.

As far as another job is not at hand, it wont be wise to resign.

And for the talk on him not aware of the law, i think it is too early to say, wait and see his response.
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by icon8: 3:12pm On Oct 09, 2017
Lastanza:

Learn to be objective.

Mr. Objective, I guess you failed to read where the clear distinctions between the Governing Board and the Tenders Board of NNPC were laid bare?

FYI, the Chairman of the Governing Board of NNPC is as useless as the "ay" in Okay, in matters bordering on Procurement and Award of Contracts.

Now, read the Original Post again...this time, slowly and with an open mind!

1 Like

Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by nasbidemi(m): 3:18pm On Oct 09, 2017
story for the gods
Re: Maikanti Baru Responds To Ibe Kachikwu's Corruption Allegations by buchai: 3:22pm On Oct 09, 2017
by mere looking at your face Baru, you chop the money the Epistle is just to cover up no smoke without fire.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Fulaniman In Austria Attacks Nigerian Olympic Team, Says They Support Terrorism / Lagos State Has Highest Foreign Debt In The Country- DMO / Alhassan Ado Doguwa Gets 7th Term Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.