Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,604 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant - Travel (58) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (549887 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (131) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 11:34pm On Sep 02, 2018
tmeg:
You people are Enjoying the world, I pray that God will link me to such places by his grace

Amen
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by debsty(m): 12:46am On Sep 03, 2018
chidike:
Hey guys! So I'm moving to Melbourne at the end of the month after spending a year in NZ, and I'm thinking of a nice sub to live. I've been to Melbourne before but that was more of a tourist visit, so if you guys can let me know suburbs to avoid, I'd appreciate. I'm looking for somewhere close to the CBD, which is where my office is located; I have a few in mind; Fitzroy, St. Kilda, Brunswick west, South Melbourne, and Yarraville or South Yarra. My budget is to not exceed $400/week. What are your thoughts on the subs I listed, I'm also trying to avoid places with a huge[b] South Sudanese community. [/b]Thanks.

@ Chidike , the bolded caught my eye. That seem to be some unconscious bias right there. Seems you have been reading lots of the news on this community, but to be honest I think not all in the news are as reported. This community accounts for less than 1% of the Melbourne community, however, due to negative reporting, people are really avoiding them and that is what Politicizing of these kind of things can do. I sometimes shudder to think if these kind of reporting was ascribed to the Nigerian community. Won't be pretty being a Nigerian in such places.

Just my thoughts anyways. Hope you get a nice cool place though, so we can come say hello sometimes.

Cheers!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by piusford: 3:35am On Sep 03, 2018
tmeg:
Hello Niralanders ,
I wish to know if there's any Nigerian in Darwin Northern Territory, I want know how about life over there is,like jobs availability and living cost,Thanks.

There are many Nigerians here in Darwin. Live is good as I have seen. No traffic, but personal vehicle is very necessary. I'm yet to see someone without job for long. People combine two or three jobs here.
Living cost is not so much different so far you are earning. Accommodation is a bit high, but it also depends on individual preferences. One can find 270-300 per week for 2 rooms one bath and one car park. It's hot October to November and December. There's no cool here. I like it here.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chidike(m): 11:43am On Sep 03, 2018
debsty:

@ Chidike , the bolded caught my eye. That seem to be some unconscious bias right there. Seems you have been reading lots of the news on this community, but to be honest I think not all in the news are as reported. This community accounts for less than 1% of the Melbourne community, however, due to negative reporting, people are really avoiding them and that is what Politicizing of these kind of things can do. I sometimes shudder to think if these kind of reporting was ascribed to the Nigerian community. Won't be pretty being a Nigerian in such places.

Just my thoughts anyways. Hope you get a nice cool place though, so we can come say hello sometimes.

Cheers!
I do agree with you, I have been reading a lot about what's happening with the South Sudanese, and believe it or not I'm sure we're all the same to the Australians...Black. But I would much rather be in a place where there isn't a problem than an area with such issues. I was in Melbourne a few months ago, was even in Footscray and I liked how diverse it was, and I didn't feel unsafe or had any unpleasant encounters, I know the media is blowing it out of proportion to push an agenda, but it is what it is, better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 11:55am On Sep 03, 2018
chidike:

I do agree with you, I have been reading a lot about what's happening with the South Sudanese, and believe it or not I'm sure we're all the same to the Australians...Black. But I would much rather be in a place where there isn't a problem than an area with such issues. I was in Melbourne a few months ago, was even in Footscray and I liked how diverse it was, and I didn't feel unsafe or had any unpleasant encounters, I know the media is blowing it out of proportion to push an agenda, but it is what it is, better to be safe than sorry.

Oga Chidike, please you didn't reply my previous message. Can I pm you on the CV matter?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chidike(m): 12:25pm On Sep 03, 2018
jayooh:

Oga Chidike, please you didn't reply my previous message. Can I pm you on the CV matter?
Sorry bro, you can PM.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 1:03pm On Sep 03, 2018
chidike:

Sorry bro, you can PM.
OK thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Rach90: 5:34am On Sep 06, 2018
Hello, did anyone upload NYSC certificate during assessment? Cos I don't have mine. I actually served but I cant find it. Is it compulsory to upload it?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by teewhysafe(f): 2:20am On Sep 07, 2018
After 4 months since arrival, I think I can share something reasonable now grin
* Your departure experience from Nigerian Airport?
We left Nigeria on the 20th of April, 2018. Our departure experience was not worth remembering at all. This was not interesting one bit. We got delayed at Nigerian airport due to the fact that my husband's old passport number was what was showing on their system. We even opened VEVO and showed those illiterates the grant showing the new passport number (meanwhile the old passport number is boldly printed on the new passport too) still they no budge. They delayed us for over 3 hours until they were making the final boarding call before we were allowed to board. Village people 0-1 grin

* Stopover experience? When you landed at the airport?
We flew with Emirates courtesy of IOM. Flight ticket cost us about 840k for myself and Hubby. Had 2 stop-overs. 1 at Dubai for about 3 hours. IOM guide was waiting with our names. She took us to the departure gate for Melbourne and we just dozed on the lounge chairs until we boarded. We stopped over for about 30-45mins at Singapore also. We left Naija around 6:30pm on Friday and arrived Melbourne around 7am on Sunday morning

* What are the immigration rules to follow?
Followed all the ones I read on this forum. That's all. Blended and dried our food-stuff, packed within the luggage limits and all. And ensured we declared all our items on the sheet given. It was a breeze in breeze out at Melbourne airport. Within 3 minutes of collecting our luggages, we were outside the airport. We were like shooo, is that all?

* How did you carry all that cash with you?
All that cash ke? lol. We had only $100 pere on us when we entered the country which we exchanged at naija airport @290 to $1.

* Can you open bank account while still in Naija?
I am aware you can but we did ours the next day after arrival.

* Which State/suburb did you settle in and why?
We settled in Victoria/St Albans on arrival because we had family there already. Accommodation was sorted and the area was nice and central for us initially so it was a good place to start hustling.

* Driving in Australia? How long can you use your Naija driving license before you get Aussie license?
Not sure how long but my hubby started driving immediately we landed. I forgot my drivers licence and it was a helpful lady on this thread aussy4lyf that helped send it 3 months after we landed. We immediately started the conversion process which is in 4 stages. Hubby is on the final stage now (drive test) while I am on the 3rd (hazard test).

* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighbourhood, mortgage plans, proximity to work etc.

Still in Victoria now. Living in Noble Park. Choice of this neighbourhood was due to proximity to our new jobs. Suburb is cool, close to basic necessities.. train station, supermarkets etc. Mortgage plans will start when we get our footing and scale through 6months probation for confirmation of employment.

* How easy was it to settle in, with your kids? How did you go about finding the right schools for them? What is their school system like for toddlers (age 5 and below)?
N/A (yet) grin
* Can a mother combine work and taking care of the kids?
I hope so grin
* What culture shock have you experienced?
So many. In short let me say I am now born again. no be life we dey live for naija.

* Tips on how to cloth and cope with the cold weather
Everything na packaging here. Once you wear the right attires, headwarmers, proper shoes and all, you will be fine. For the beds, we make use of bed heaters which warms up the bed/duvets so u don't have to put on the heater overnight. Its not so bad anymore. I guess you also get used to the temperature after a while. it was war when we first landed.

* Are there Nigerian food/restaurants etc? Are they very expensive?
Yeah. There are in melbourne. Nula (Fatimah) is the popular african store and Adonai foods (restaurant in the city). There are 2 African stores too in Noble park but they are more Sudanese than nigerian. Food is veeery expensive jare and over-priced and still their menu is limited. My birthday was a few days ago and i searched for amala and ewedu to no avail

* Can one start a business (exportation, consultancy) in Australia?
No idea. Business no dey my blood.

* How much does your family survive on in a month?
Well, for now, looking at bills-rent,groceries,power etc, i will say on the average for us a minimum of $2000 monthly (minimum being the operative word o cheesy)
* And any other ...
Well, i would just add PATIENCE & PERSEVERANCE while job hunting particularly for professional jobs. Getting a casual job might be quite easy but landing one in your career path can be daunting due to lack of local experience. Oh boy, we got so many reject mails (over 200,getting like 2-3 reject mails everyday for close to 4months) it became a normal thing. The casual job helped in sustenance while searching anyways so it was a good thing. Also learn how to repackage and sell yourself at jobs even if u have no experience. It helped me. When i realised my career path was a long thing, i changed Cv to Customer care/Receptionist/Administrator sharp sharp and i landed a role within a month. So please, try anything, pray hard and don't limit yourself.

To all my grant hopefuls, wishing you speedy favorable responses. God bless!

38 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tuteso: 2:54am On Sep 07, 2018
teewhysafe:

To all my grant hopefuls, wishing you speedy favorable responses. God bless! AMEN

Thank you for the shared experience.

#EFMNG

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:14am On Sep 08, 2018
teewhysafe:

Thanks for sharing.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by yinkeys(m): 3:53pm On Sep 08, 2018
MizMyColi:
Hello,

For old and new migrants,

I discovered this cool online service that allows you transfer foreign funds to your local Naija account.

It is way cheaper than cashremit, worldremit, transfast, cashfast, and co.

I am sharing the link because I am excited at the service and speed of delivery, and more so because I get some reward for those I refer....you also gain by transferring your first 500 dollars for free.

This people exchange 1 pound to naira @498 so imagine what others currencies rate will be like. Is there any other online service that beats that?! They have all the major currencies worldwide too!

The issue is will i recieve exactly the amount displayed there in my account
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by yinkeys(m): 4:05pm On Sep 08, 2018
nuelnuel:
Azimo never offer a better rate than Transferwise.
Using transferwise please how much will I recieve in my naira account per $
Can I use it without a bank acct
Just a verified US PayPal I have
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by chuglothen(f): 12:30am On Sep 11, 2018
piusford:

There are many Nigerians here in Darwin. Live is good as I have seen. No traffic, but personal vehicle is very necessary. I'm yet to see someone without job for long. People combine two or three jobs here.
Living cost is not so much different so far you are earning. Accommodation is a bit high, but it also depends on individual preferences. One can find 270-300 per week for 2 rooms one bath and one car park. It's hot October to November and December. There's no cool here. I like it here.
Why do they combine 2 or 3 jobs? Is it because of low availability of full time jobs or do they combine a full time job with a casual job? I am interested in NT
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Nobody: 10:44am On Sep 11, 2018
Hello house.
What does it take for a Nigeria nurse with BNSc and MSc (psychiatric Nursing) to migrate to Australia and become a lecturer?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by breadtom: 11:59pm On Sep 11, 2018
What kind of visa did u travel with?
teewhysafe:
We left Nigeria on the 20th of April, 2018. Our departure experience was not worth remembering at all. This was not interesting one bit. We got delayed at Nigerian airport due to the fact that my husband's old passport number was what was showing on their system. We even opened VEVO and showed those illiterates the grant showing the new passport number (meanwhile the old passport number is boldly printed on the new passport too) still they no budge. They delayed us for over 3 hours until they were making the final boarding call before we were allowed to board. Village people 0-1 grin

We flew with Emirates courtesy of IOM. Flight ticket cost us about 840k for myself and Hubby. Had 2 stop-overs. 1 at Dubai for about 3 hours. IOM guide was waiting with our names. She took us to the departure gate for Melbourne and we just dozed on the lounge chairs until we boarded. We stopped over for about 30-45mins at Singapore also. We left Naija around 6:30pm on Friday and arrived Melbourne around 7am on Sunday morning

Followed all the ones I read on this forum. That's all. Blended and dried our food-stuff, packed within the luggage limits and all. And ensured we declared all our items on the sheet given. It was a breeze in breeze out at Melbourne airport. Within 3 minutes of collecting our luggages, we were outside the airport. We were like shooo, is that all?

All that cash ke? lol. We had only $100 pere on us when we entered the country which we exchanged at naija airport @290 to $1.

We settled in Victoria/St Albans on arrival because we had family there already. Accommodation was sorted and the area was nice and central for us initially so it was a good place to start hustling.

* Driving in Australia? How long can you use your Naija driving license before you get Aussie license?
Not sure how long but my hubby started driving immediately we landed. I forgot my drivers licence and it was a helpful lady on this thread aussy4lyf that helped send it 3 months after we landed. We immediately started the conversion process which is in 4 stages. Hubby is on the final stage now (drive test) while I am on the 3rd (hazard test).

* Where you live and why you like it or don't like it? Tips on choosing the right neighbourhood, mortgage plans, proximity to work etc.

Still in Victoria now. Living in Noble Park. Choice of this neighbourhood was due to proximity to our new jobs. Suburb is cool, close to basic necessities.. train station, supermarkets etc. Mortgage plans will start when we get our footing and scale through 6months probation for confirmation of employment.

* How easy was it to settle in, with your kids? How did you go about finding the right schools for them? What is their school system like for toddlers (age 5 and below)?
N/A (yet) grin
I hope so grin
So many. In short let me say I am now born again. no be life we dey live for naija.

Everything na packaging here. Once you wear the right attires, headwarmers, proper shoes and all, you will be fine. For the beds, we make use of bed heaters which warms up the bed/duvets so u don't have to put on the heater overnight. Its not so bad anymore. I guess you also get used to the temperature after a while. it was war when we first landed.

Yeah. There are in melbourne. Nula (Fatimah) is the popular african store and Adonai foods (restaurant in the city). There are 2 African stores too in Noble park but they are more Sudanese than nigerian. Food is veeery expensive jare and over-priced and still their menu is limited. My birthday was a few days ago and i searched for amala and ewedu to no avail

Well, for now, looking at bills-rent,groceries,power etc, i will say on the average for us a minimum of $2000 monthly (minimum being the operative word o cheesy)
* And any other ...
Well, i would just add PATIENCE & PERSEVERANCE while job hunting particularly for professional jobs. Getting a casual job might be quite easy but landing one in your career path can be daunting due to lack of local experience. Oh boy, we got so many reject mails (over 200,getting like 2-3 reject mails everyday for close to 4months) it became a normal thing. The casual job helped in sustenance while searching anyways so it was a good thing. Also learn how to repackage and sell yourself at jobs even if u have no experience. It helped me. When i realised my career path was a long thing, i changed Cv to Customer care/Receptionist/Administrator sharp sharp and i landed a role within a month. So please, try anything, pray hard and don't limit yourself.

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by teewhysafe(f): 2:51am On Sep 12, 2018
breadtom:
What kind of visa did u travel with?
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Rach90: 12:21pm On Sep 12, 2018
Hello everyone, did anyone here assessed as a customer service manager? Please I need help asap. Thank you
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ashatoda: 11:00pm On Sep 12, 2018
I am really interested in moving to Australia though I was contemplating on going to Canada initially but this thread as been able to open my eyes to Australia. I will love if any of the bosses over there can help access my options.

I have ND in journalism but prior then I learnt Printing and worked for about 4 years under people before striking out on my own since about 10 years ago till date. I am also a Pig farmer this came to the fore when I checked SA list of nominated skills. I have also been doing this for over 7 years.

My question is can I really be considered due to the fact that my recent experience in the printing world is self employment so I have no one giving me a pay slip.

thanks for your reply
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Tinyemeka(m): 8:53pm On Sep 14, 2018
teewhysafe:
Also learn how to repackage and sell yourself at jobs even if u have no experience. It helped me. When i realised my career path was a long thing, i changed Cv to Customer care/Receptionist/Administrator sharp sharp and i landed a role within a month. So please, try anything, pray hard and don't limit yourself.

Wehdone ma.

Sorry I'm asking: Was it banking you practised while in Nigeria?

I've scanned the occupational list and the job description you listed above seems to be the only one that comes close to describing all I've been doing all these years. Even though it's quite far from it. sad

These people yaff finished me! Edakun epp!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by teewhysafe(f): 7:34am On Sep 17, 2018
Nope. Not a banker. And I wasn't the principal applicant. Hubby was. As an Agricultural consultant.
Tinyemeka:

Wehdone ma.

Sorry I'm asking: Was it banking you practised while in Nigeria?

I've scanned the occupational list and the job description you listed above seems to be the only one that comes close to describing all I've been doing all these years. Even though it's quite far from it. sad

These people yaff finished me! Edakun epp!
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ayomidan: 4:22pm On Sep 17, 2018
teewhysafe:

N/A (yet) grin
I hope so grin

* And any other ...

ma,nice info...an agent got my younger brother an Australia tourist/ visiting visa via immi ,I think an E visa.
my question:is there any hope of getting menial jobs with the visa ?tho he has ND in accounting..
thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by disectur(m): 6:37am On Sep 18, 2018
If he's on a tourist visa you know he doesnt have ANY right to work right? He could get a labour hire job in construction BUT if he gets caught (VERY LIKELY) he will be deported IMMEDIATELY and likely banned from entering Australia again. This country is very harsh to offenders of any kind. Tread carefully.

ayomidan:

ma,nice info...an agent got my younger brother an Australia tourist/ visiting visa via immi ,I think an E visa.
my question:is there any hope of getting menial jobs with the visa ?tho he has ND in accounting..
thanks
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Xenyth(m): 6:53am On Sep 18, 2018
Good day bosses in the house. I want to ask about Temporary work short stay specialist Visa 400 class. Can one change it to TSS or Apply for PR while in Australia for the 6months. Am a civil engineer.
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 11:02am On Sep 18, 2018
Xenyth:
Good day bosses in the house. I want to ask about Temporary work short stay specialist Visa 400 class. Can one change it to TSS or Apply for PR while in Australia for the 6months. Am a civil engineer.

You have to follow the conditions attached to the visa.

Being onshore does not help circumventing the process. You will still go through the same process and you may not have that time till your temporary visa runs out

You are a civil engineer, start the process now rather than looking for a short cut that is really not short.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by Xenyth(m): 11:43am On Sep 18, 2018
bellong:

You have to follow the conditions attached to the visa.

Being onshore does not help circumventing the process. You will still go through the same process and you may not have that time till your temporary visa runs out

You are a civil engineer, start the process now rather than looking for a short cut that is really not short.

Thank you boss. I got an offer from a company who need to have the job started as soon As possible and they said the TSS will take longer time to process. They are processing the 400 with the promise of processing TSS as soon as I joined them.

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by bellong: 12:59pm On Sep 18, 2018
Xenyth:

Thank you boss. I got an offer from a company who need to have the job started as soon As possible and they said the TSS will take longer time to process. They are processing the 400 with the promise of processing TSS as soon as I joined them.

I will be wary of this arrangement. According to information on home affairs website, this visa usually comes with a no further stay. It means you cannot apply for any other visa while you are onshore..

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/400-
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by ayomidan: 7:14pm On Sep 18, 2018
disectur:
If he's on a tourist visa you know he doesnt have ANY right to work right? He could get a labour hire job in construction BUT if he gets caught (VERY LIKELY) he will be deported IMMEDIATELY and likely banned from entering Australia again. This country is very harsh to offenders of any kind. Tread carefully.

Thanks so much , another question is hope he won't have any issue at POE since he got an E visa via immi and no visa on passport
Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 6:38am On Sep 21, 2018
Any Tasmania resident in the house please?

1 Like

Re: Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant by jayooh: 8:46am On Sep 21, 2018
Hello gurus,

Since it is possible to purchase international phone numbers from skype; While trying to apply for jobs from Nigeria, is it advisable to use only an Australian phone number via Skype on one's resume or both naija line + Australian line? It is noteworthy that the address is Nigerian.

Also, since one is offshore is it better to include your Skype ID in CV, or wait for prospective employers to ask?

(1) (2) (3) ... (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) ... (131) (Reply)

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.