Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,887 members, 7,814,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup (39661 Views)

Nigeria Vs Guinea: 5 Things We Learnt As Super Eagles Qualify For Round Of 16 / Nigeria Is The First African Country To Qualify For FIFA 2018 World Cup Russia / Algeria Vs Nigeria: FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:09pm On Oct 10, 2017
Listen up... your problem is you isolate points raised. Try to see the whole picture and get the central message before quoting someone.

I cited just one good thing in Oliseh's very short reign which was set pieces utilisation.

Under Rohr, I said he is already om the right path and should even build more on that... you think I didn't have the Moses-Mikel goal in mind? wink

On all other counts, Rohr already floors Oliseh... Rohr got the team firing on all cylinders... but I need him to step it up much more in just one more aspect... which is same aspect Oliseh did good at... and that is set-pieces...

Rohr has played 10 games... so go figure. wink

femi4:
I only show you that under Rohr, we ve scored a goal from set pieces and wait till Rohr play close to no of matches Nigeria played under Oliseh before you start comparing set pieces superior tactics
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by femi4: 11:18pm On Oct 10, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Listen up... your problem is you isolate points raised. Try to see the whole picture and get the central message before quoting someone.

I cited just one good thing in Oliseh's very short reign which was set pieces utilisation.

Under Rohr, I said he is already om the right path and should even build more on that... you think I didn't have the Moses-Mikel goal in mind? wink

On all other counts, Rohr already floors Oliseh... Rohr got the team firing on all cylinders... but I need him to step it up much more in just one more aspect... which is same aspect Oliseh did good at... and that is set-pieces...

Rohr has played 10 games... so go figure. wink

That's the problem I have here, we didnt score up to 7 goals from set pieces and you call it Oliseh's tactics.

Now let me show you teams that score from set pieces season in - season out

Athletico
Chelsea

We see them do this over and over again.

Eagles didnt score up to 7goals from set pieces under Oliseh. You can't claim he mastered it.
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:31pm On Oct 10, 2017
The Eagles hardly ever utilised set pieces well enough during the mid-2000s and early 2010s until Oliseh showed up. It was no coincidence....

Oliseh did a fine job making the Team dangerous and clinical enough from set pieces and making them genuine goal threats from set pieces within his infamous short reign. That is the context here and it is a fact.
The team scored more set piece goals under Oliseh within same short period compared to other recent managers before him. No coincidence. He improved the team to a fine degree in that aspect and maybe he could have perfected it further has he stayed but thanks goodness he didn't... because his man management was hellish and taking us down a path of doom.

And give Credit (at most for just this) to Oliseh... he did what most recent managers failed to do - Make the team more dangerous from set piece situations.

Go read up on Oliseh's reign and see if you won't come across media articles where he, Oliseh, even discussed this one of his tactics to improve the team.

P.S: I just knew you were using Euro clubs flavor to compare with the team again... no wonder. lol... Oga... this is not European Club Football... This is international football... it is not week in, week out... you cannot compare both. Can't you guys just discuss International football and Super Eagles without making reference to European Flavor... lol

femi4:
That's the problem I have here, we didnt score up to 7 goals from set pieces and you call it Oliseh's tactics.

Now let me show you teams that score from set pieces season in - season out

Athletico
Chelsea

We see them do this over and over again.

Eagles didnt score up to 7goals from set pieces under Oliseh. You can't claim he mastered it.
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by FastJimmy: 11:43pm On Oct 10, 2017
@TheSuperNerd... please correct yourself without delay! The player "Paul Odeh Onobi" is far above what you call an average player. He came into the team briefly under coach Sunday Oliseh on merit... he played against Swaziland in 2015 and was very solid and effective. I played with him in amateur days in Makurdi, Benue State. He was voted NPFL 2016 best midfielder, before that he was a big name in Nigeria's domestic league as a one time most-earning home-based player, go back and review records and watch him closely, if you call him average what do you call Mikel Agu? William-Troost should trade easy because this is Nigeria and he has not arrived yet... when Sunday Oliseh held sway... he was not as good yet and I can tell you that the current apparent solidity in the Eagles defence is largely due to the calm and calculated understanding of clean and easy defensive duties of Leon Balogun, he makes life easy for Ekong... Ekong was average in Olympics and still is even now... we will see him against lethal attackers and bet me then you will know and he will eat his words about Oliseh... Oliseh knew then he was not exactly ready. Kenneth Omeruo is still better than him in my humble opinion.

TheSuperNerd:
Sunday Oliseh remains a bright and very intelligent coach tactically... his only problems with the Super Eagles were bad Man management (a key skill in coaching), bringing in "his boys" like Paul Onobi and Sylvester Igboun who are bloody average players and then his really Overbloated Ego.

But despite his flaws, he remains one of Africa's fast rising tactical minds in the beautiful game today. Under Oliseh, we saw massive improvements in one particular area of the Super Eagles that has been lacking for years during the mid 2000s era and early 2010s era...

That area was "setpieces".... wink Nigeria became very dangerous from set pieces such as cornerkicks, freekicks (direct or indirect)... under him, Simon brought his A-game to direct freekicks and scored a beauty. Also we made use of our aerial prowess in Efe Ambrose back then in 2015 under Oliseh...

Truth is he added a dimension to our game which made us more dangerous to play against and Somehow, Rohr is putting that piece together again and I hope he builds on that fervently because if we must hurt teams we must be able to do so in many different ways... relying on just Wing plays and individual brilliance such as Mikel's creativity and Iwobi's fluidity or Nacho's clinicality or Victor Moses' one man army "tear them apart" style won't be enough....

Finals and tight games are also won by set pieces... one corner and a header and it is over... case study is Euro 2004 final... and also Nigeria 2009 U-17 WC final.

So Oliseh gave Nigeria that extra edge in making us wickedly clinical and deadly from set pieces... let Rohr build on that in addition to all the great work he is doing already and we will have a Super Juggernaut of a team.

But on Ekong... telling him, Oyibos are too soft for the African game...Hahahahaha... Oliseh was bloody wrong and we have the Oyibo wall to prove it... lol

The Oyibo Wall.... grin

#BalogunEtEkong
#5&6

1 Like

Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:58pm On Oct 10, 2017
Plsssss...oya apply the bolded on your statement on Ekong.... Looolll... Ekong was the rock in our defence at the Olympics.... unless you didn't watch all the matches... or maybe you did and just didn't watch with keen observation. Ekong shone at Rio 2016 #fact.

And Ekong is a rock in his own rights. This guy lad our defence in Ndola in the absence of Balogun and it was Omeruo who messed up our clean sheet in that encounter. Omeruo is errors-prone but his experience counts.

Against Zambia, even Balogun struggled so much against the Zambian's pace in the first half and his noddings were not really assuring at times... it was Ekong covering his blushes then. So saying It is all Balogun is all fallacious talk because Ekong is the Ying to Balogun's Yang.

And on Paul Onobi... I stand my ground... he is bang average. Did he merit that starting place against Swaziland ahaed of the mercurial Mikel Obi? Imagine!!! Onobi benching Mikel and you think that was on merit... that was Oliseh causing havoc in that team. Even against a lowly Swaziland, Onobi was not excellent... he was just okay... nothing special. And where is he now?

But Mikel Agu proved himself last season in the Portuguese league with Vitoria setubal and remains a player of FC Porto onloan at Bursaspor of Turkey. Mikel Agu struggled against Zambia but later grew into the game but he is undoubtedly shades of class above Onobi abeg.... don't even compare the two biko. That is an insult.

And right now... Troost is ahead of Omeruo.. sorry. Even Efe Ambrose is astonished at Ekong's development. So go figure... wink

P.S: You said Onobi was voted 2016 NPFL best midfielder.... abeg... are you sure of that info... because in same year, Rangers won the league and a certain Obinna Nwobodo was clearly the best central attacking midfielder in the league after Rangers' league triumph. Check those facts well biko....

FastJimmy:
@TheSuperNerd... please correct yourself without delay! The player "Paul Odeh Onobi" is far above what you call an average player. He came into the team briefly under coach Sunday Oliseh on merit... he played against Swaziland in 2015 and was very solid and effective. I played with him then he was younger than me in amateur days in Makurdi, Benue State. He was voted NPFL 2016 best midfielder, go back and watch him closely, if you call him average what do you call Mikel Agu? William-Troost should trade easy because this is Nigeria and he has not arrived yet... when Sunday Oliseh held sway... he was not as good yet and I can tell you that the current apparent solidity in the Eagles defence is largely due to the calm and calculated understanding of Leon Balogun and not Ekong... Ekong was averaage in Olympics and still is even now... we will see him against lethal attackers and bet me then you will know and he will eat his words about Oliseh... Oliseh knew then he was not exactly ready. Kenneth Omeruo is still better than him in my humble opinion.

Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by phoenix90(m): 1:44am On Oct 11, 2017
Afam4eva:
Sunday Oliseh should go and sit down. He's probably our worst coach ever. You don't become a coach by speaking big grammar on supersports.
Oliseh probably didn't get the best results for the super eagles because of the pressure of corrupt and unprincipled football officials. Try checking the progress he has made so far with his Dutch team 'Fortuna Sittard' they're on course for promotion to the top flight of the elite division. He broke the club record for winning the most consecutive home matches and longest winning streak. The kind of atmosphere we afford the 'oyibos' to work with is different from the one we afford our local coaches. Oliseh, Siasia and Salisu are coaches when given the right opportunity to make impact can take our team to enviable heights. We can do better.
NB: Troost-Ekong is a good player but he can't still be happy with his ball playing (footwork) and positioning ability.

2 Likes

Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by nolio(m): 1:46am On Oct 11, 2017
ekong should shut the f^ck up please. leon balogun has been covering up his arse.

1 Like

Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by slurity1: 7:32am On Oct 11, 2017
Mediapace:

Yea but Ekong plays in turkey
so how will oliseh will be waiting for ekong in turkey?
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by femi4: 8:08am On Oct 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
The Eagles hardly ever utilised set pieces well enough during the mid-2000s and early 2010s until Oliseh showed up. It was no coincidence....

Oliseh did a fine job making the Team dangerous[b][/b] and clinical enough from set pieces and making them genuine goal threats from set pieces within his infamous short reign. That is the context here and it is a fact.
The team scored more set piece goals under Oliseh within same short period compared to other recent managers before him. No coincidence. He improved the team to a fine degree in that aspect and maybe he could have perfected it further has he stayed but thanks goodness he didn't... because his man management was hellish and taking us down a path of doom.

And give Credit (at most for just this) to Oliseh... he did what most recent managers failed to do - Make the team more dangerous from set piece situations.

Go read up on Oliseh's reign and see if you won't come across media articles where he, Oliseh, even discussed this one of his tactics to improve the team.

P.S: I just knew you were using Euro clubs flavor to compare with the team again... no wonder. lol... Oga... this is not European Club Football... This is international football... it is not week in, week out... you cannot compare both. Can't you guys just discuss International football and Super Eagles without making reference to European Flavor... lol

Are you inferior to European club football? Football is universal, Is Oliseh greatest achievement as a coach not tied to European football as at today?

Super Eagles wasnt dangerous under Oliseh

Missing out of Nations cup doesnt potray your team as a dangerous team

The attack goal ratio was low and the defense kept conceeding, yet you called that improvement. It wont make your opponent be fearful.

Oh Eagles was dangerous and we drew goaless in Tanzania.

Oh another goaless against swaziland....that was s strong team

Infact the most dangerous team in Africa at that time, yet struggle to score a goal against same team on our home soil

The more you try convince me, the more your points hold no water
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:26am On Oct 11, 2017
Same Eagles handed out a 3-0 bashing to Cameroun in Brussels.... cheesy

You can cherry pick all you like but it does not change the fact that he added something good to the team tactically even when the team still struggled in overall gelling and plays. He beefed us up in set pieces. #Fact

And are you in denial of the fact that European club football is not the same as International football? I am saying you cannot bring in the week in-week out profiles of European club football and place it side by side with International football which comes up occasionally unlike the almost everyday happenings of club football and you are here talking inferior.... na wa. Understand the context biko and stop typing just for typing sake.

What does the universality of football got to do with a simple fact that Oliseh improved the team in set pieces? This team does not meet week in , week out like European clubs do and still Oliseh could come up with a strategy to help the team look dangerous from set pieces. Focus on that one point and be open to it... don't bring in the overall goals ratio... focus on the fact that we did score more set piece goals under Oliseh than under any other recent manager/coach (from early 2010s/mid 2000s) before him in same timeline Oliseh's infamous reign lasted.

Watch his team in Holland...and judge for yourself if they don't play an attacking style that shows the tactical brilliance of the man Oliseh. He is young and still egotistical and hopefully he will learn and grow but he is smart tactically.... bad happenings should not remove that fact.

So you saying he is tactically inept lacks a hold in all ramifications. What is just clear to me is your dislike for him because of his infamous short reign in the Super Eagles and how he treated Enyeama (of which Oliseh was at fault to me). But learn and try to look past that and understand that he improved the team in one aspect alone which is set pieces... in such a short time.

femi4:
Are you inferior to European club football? Football is universal, Is Oliseh greatest achievement as a coach not tied to European football as at today?

Super Eagles wasnt dangerous under Oliseh

Missing out of Nations cup doesnt potray your team as a dangerous team

The attack goal ratio was low and the defense kept conceeding, yet you called that improvement. It wont make your opponent be fearful.

Oh Eagles was dangerous and we drew goaless in Tanzania.

Infact the most dangerous team in Africa at that time, yet struggle to score a goal against same team on our home soil

The more you try convince me, the more your points hold no water
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by femi4: 10:00am On Oct 11, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Same Eagles handed out a 3-0 bashing to Cameroun in Brussels.... cheesy

You can cherry pick all you like but it does not change the fact that he added something good to the team tactically even when the team still struggled in overall gelling and plays. He beefed us up in set pieces. #Fact

And are you in denial of the fact that European club football is not the same as International football? I am saying you cannot bring in the week in-week out profiles of European club football and place it side by side with International football which comes up occasionally unlike the almost everyday happenings of club football and you are here talking inferior.... na wa. Understand the context biko and stop typing just for typing sake.

What does the universality of football got to do with a simple fact that Oliseh improved the team in set pieces? This team does not meet week in , week out like European clubs do and still Oliseh could come up with a strategy to help the team look dangerous from set pieces. Focus on that one point and be open to it... don't bring in the overall goals ratio... focus on the fact that we did score more set piece goals under Oliseh than under any other recent manager/coach (from early 2010s/mid 2000s) before him in same timeline Oliseh's infamous reign lasted.

Watch his team in Holland...and judge for yourself if they don't play an attacking style that shows the tactical brilliance of the man Oliseh. He is young and still egotistical and hopefully he will learn and grow but he is smart tactically.... bad happenings should not remove that fact.

So you saying he is tactically inept lacks a hold in all ramifications. What is just clear to me is your dislike for him because of his infamous short reign in the Super Eagles and how he treated Enyeama (of which Oliseh was at fault to me). But learn and try to look past that and understand that he improved the team in one aspect alone which is set pieces... in such a short time.

You are the one doing cherry pick, I sighted competitive matches where Eagles struggled under his reign and your counter claim was a match against cameroon in which you forgot to add that it was a friendly match.

He added nothing to where Keshi left the team. He had no onfield experience at that time and it was obvious how the team struggled both in home and away matches.

A tactical approach that doesn't give your fans confidence in watching your games is nonsense
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by Goke7: 10:26am On Oct 11, 2017
Oliseh is a guy am still trying to forgive for the way he bundled enyeama out of our national team, if not for the bravery of ezenwa, I wondered how we would have fared in this wcq series after the absence of carl ikeme.

Oliseh was a bad omen for us though I feel Ekong is a bit hard on Oliseh even though he must have been treated badly. It however shows just how bad Oliseh was and no sentiments here
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:12am On Oct 11, 2017
But Nigeria got bashed 2-0 by DR Congo in a friendly too and people were quick to point to that so why won't I point to Nigeria 3-0 Cameroun... smiley

So keep cherry picking and talking Tanzania when we also have Swaziland as competitive... Hahahahahahahahaha...

Anyway, Look.... understand the beginning of all this talk. He is tactically sound... and he is doing well in Holland right now showing that he is no slouch tactically... He is no tactical god yet or a master of tactics yet... but he is good and showing intelligence and potentials to step up his tactical game. That is on one side.

With the Super Eagles, he added at least one thing to the team which was "set pieces deadliness" against opponents. He tried in that aspect within his short reign and I must give him even the smallest credit for that.

But on all other matters as regards the Super Eagles... Oliseh flunked big time... I was among the few on FP that day the Oliseh-Enyeama saga reached FP who condemned Oliseh's actions and pointed that he is destroying the team spirit... and when a team is being destroyed from the core, no matter the tactics you apply and no matter how brilliant, the team will flop in the big picture of things... ask Mourinho during his last Chelsea experience since you know so much about Euro soccer. wink

femi4:
You are the one doing cherry pick, I sighted competitive matches where Eagles struggled under his reign and your counter claim was a match against cameroon in which you forgot to add that it was a friendly match.

He added nothing to where Keshi left the team. He had no onfield experience at that time and it was obvious how the team struggled both in home and away matches.

A tactical approach that doesn't give your fans confidence in watching your games is nonsense
Re: Troost-ekong Blasts Sunday Oliseh After Super Eagles Qualify For 2018 World Cup by AleAirHub(m): 6:22pm On Oct 11, 2017
And what has your ITK yield Mr English lecturer. Uzuzu cool
Akiika:

You need a Grammarian like Oliseh in your life for sure.
It is "know" not "No".
Which kain school una go sef?....Olodo rabata!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Egypt Vs DR Congo: AFCON 2023 Round of 16 (7 - 8)pens On 28th January 2024 / UK Jewellers Refuse To Sell Watch To Samuel Eto’o Because Of 'some Nigerians / Cristiano Ronaldo Mobbed By Juventus Fans During Friendly (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.