Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis (1004 Views)

Romans 7 : The Flesh Test - Paul Ellis / Have I Committed The Unforgivable Sin? - Paul Ellis / 3 Reasons Why I Don't Preach On Repentance ( "Turn From Sin" ) - Paul Ellis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:52pm On Oct 10, 2017
A man, blind from birth, learns of an operation that will give him the gift of sight. Encouraged by his friends and family, he undergoes the procedure. The operation is a success and for the first time in his life he can see. However, he finds himself disoriented and confused. He recognizes nothing and is unable to process light and distance. Everything appears alien to him so he begins to walk with his eyes shut. Darkness is the world he knows and can navigate. After some time, he begins to act in every way like the blind man he used to be. Although his eyes are perfectly normal, he never uses them.

This is how it is for those of us who are born of the spirit but who have not learned how to walk after the spirit. When we were in flesh we walked after the flesh. Spiritually dead, the natural world was the only world we knew and we relied on our five senses to live. But when we were born again we were given a new life with new senses. Like the blind man in the story, we can now live in two worlds: the natural world and the spiritual world; the seen realm and the unseen realm (Heb 11:3).

We use our natural senses to navigate the natural world but in the spiritual world we walk by faith. It is only by faith that we can make sense of things we do not see (Heb 11:1). The trouble is faith often runs contrary to our natural senses. This is why the Bible challenges us to live by faith rather than by sight (2 Cor 5:7). Lean on your own carnal understanding and you will never live the abundant life that God has promised. It is only by faith that you can receive what He offers.

In the last few posts we have looked at what it means to walk according to the flesh. (If you missed them, a list of posts is found below.) To walk after the flesh is to be mindful of natural things – what we see, hear, touch, etc. But to walk after the spirit means we are mindful of spiritual things – what God has said and is now saying, what God has done is now doing. I’m not talking about being born again. Your new birth was a one-time work of the Spirit (Jn 3:5). But once you have been born of the Spirit, you need to learn how to walk in the spirit. It’s a completely different way to live.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. (Ga 5:25, NKJV)

You have a choice

The unsaved person cannot walk in the spirit. The natural world is the only world he knows. But when you have been born of the Spirit you have a choice. You can interpret any situation with your natural senses or with faith. Let me illustrate. Suppose you go to the doctor and he shows you an x-ray of your brain, says you have a tumor, and tells you that you have a week to live. If the natural world is all you know, you’d better start wrapping up your affairs! Everything you have heard and seen is telling you that you’re going to die. You can choose how you’re going to die – bravely or fearfully – but that’s about the only choice you have.

The spirit-conscious person, on the other hand, has options and he will not accept the doctor’s report as the last word. He might say, “I need a second opinion. What does Dr. Jesus say?” Do you see what he’s doing? He’s switching his attention from the natural realm to the spiritual. He’s looked at the x-ray he’s now fixing his eyes on something unseen and eternal. His spirit is one with the Holy Spirit and through that connection he is being reminded of some life-giving promises pertaining to healing (e.g., Is 53:4, Ps 103:3). Although in the natural he is battling anxiety, he strives to enter that rest which is found only in Jesus. He begins to think about Jesus who carried his infirmities. And as he sets his mind on things above he begins to sense supernatural peace and faith stirring within him.

When you walk according to the flesh, life always has the last word. The circumstances of your life will tell you when to be sick, poor, and anxious. Enemies of sickness and poverty will seek to rob you of your appetite, sleep, and joy. But when you walk according to the spirit you will find yourself talking back to your circumstances. You’ll argue with doctors. You’ll speak to your bank account. You may even shout at sickness. If you think that’s weird, consider Jesus. He spoke to trees and storms and said we’d speak to mountains! The spirit-conscious believer talks back because he knows that life does not have the last word. He refuses to let his circumstances dictate his actions.

Walk the talk

Learning how to walk is a skill. It takes practice. In my next post I’m going to give you some classic examples of walking in the spirit from the Bible and then, in the post after that, I’m going to give you three keys to help you on your way. But I know you can’t wait. You want to know how to walk in the spirit right now. So here’s the short version from Proverbs:

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Pro 3:5-6, NIV)

The operative word in this passage is “acknowledge.” It does not mean tipping your hat to Jesus whenever you go charging off on a scheme of your own invention. Neither is it saying “I want to thank the Lord Jesus” in all the little victory speeches of your life. Acknowledging the Lord means knowing Him in all your ways. Here’s the same verse in a literal translation:

In all thy ways know thou Him, And He doth make straight thy paths. (Pro 3:6, YLT)

When the doctor has just pronounced the sentence of death, you want to know the Lord – what does He say on the matter? It’s His word that counts. When you’ve been offered a promotion or you’ve just met the perfect man or woman and it all seems good to you, you want to know the Lord – what does He think about this? The spirit-conscious believer is not the slightest bit interested in what his experience or natural understanding tells him. His sole desire is to know and follow Jesus every day.

Knowing the Lord as you walk through life will make a crooked path straight. When you know the Lord you’ll walk through the valley of the shadow of death with no fear and you’ll feast in the presence of your enemies.

https://escapetoreality.org/2011/08/22/walking-in-the-spirit/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:52am On Oct 11, 2017
Haaaa
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by Janeyinspires(f): 11:42am On Oct 11, 2017
I'm loving this,jiggaz! Really learning how to walk in the spirit takes practice.To umu uwa,your actions are weird and foolish.But God will always use the foolish things of the world to confound their wisdom.
.I'm still learning and some dayz,I throw tantrums.God knows I'm still learning and His baby.But He still loves me.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 1:52pm On Oct 11, 2017
Janeyinspires:
I'm loving this,jiggaz! Really learning how to walk in the spirit takes practice.To umu uwa,your actions are weird and foolish.But God will always use the foolish things of the world to confound their wisdom.
.I'm still learning and some dayz,I throw tantrums.God knows I'm still learning and His baby.But He still loves me.
cheesy Yes oo Janey!! God gat you.....

1 Like

Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:21pm On Oct 11, 2017
Baaaa
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:26am On Oct 12, 2017
Jjjj
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:08pm On Oct 12, 2017
Hey
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:38am On Oct 13, 2017
Heee
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:29pm On Oct 13, 2017
Baaa
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by mayorsho89(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2018
This is good. but i'll like to add a correction- you said those who are not in Christ walks in the flesh alone. The kingdom of darkness raises soldiers as well, giving them spiritual insight and making them a principality and power of the world. Jesus spoke about them in Luke 16; 1-13. These set of people are spiritual as well and they are tools in devil's hand. God Bless
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2018
mayorsho89:
This is good. but i'll like to add a correction- you said those who are not in Christ walks in the flesh alone. The kingdom of darkness raises soldiers as well, giving them spiritual insight and making them a principality and power of the world. Jesus spoke about them in Luke 16; 1-13. These set of people are spiritual as well and they are tools in devil's hand. God Bless
Their own spiritual walk is the negative supernatural. The spirit here is the holy spirit... We are talking of God's kingdom here. I understand you perfectly... Thank you for your contribution.
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by ScienceWatch: 5:40pm On Jan 03, 2018
mayorsho89:
Absolutely true Mayorsho89. Very deep and profound insight into the reality of the spiritual world. Both sides, Light and Dark.

When those in the Dark activate those demons, beware.
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:13pm On Jan 03, 2018
Evening
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:03am On Apr 09, 2018
Yoooo
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 5:54pm On Apr 09, 2018
Hai
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:57pm On Jul 14, 2018
Lord Jesus is my wisdom
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 2:58pm On Jul 15, 2018
Jesus
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:39pm On Jul 15, 2018
Now is the time
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:02pm On Aug 04, 2018
Cool
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:06am On Aug 05, 2018
Now......
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 6:31pm On Jul 23, 2019
Yessss
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:19pm On Jul 24, 2019
Gbam
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 8:41am On Jul 25, 2019
Morning
Re: Life Doesn't Have The Last Word (When You're Walking In The Spirit) - Paul Ellis by jiggaz(m): 7:10pm On May 13, 2023
Lord Jesus

(1) (Reply)

8 Reasons Believers Hate Atheists / "Tithing"- The Accurate Teaching The Bible Gives. / RCCG House Fellowship Leaders Manual, Sunday 16th June, 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.