Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi (40968 Views)

Dangote Is Selling Cement For 1,150 Naira In Zambia / Niyi Makanjuola Of Caverton Is Behind Visionscape - Feyi Fawehinmi Investigates / Paddy Adenuga And Feyi Fawehinmi Clash Over Chevron Netherlands Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by SmartyPants(m): 4:58pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

Nonsense!

Show me any company in the Western world paying 1% in taxes.

And you're here talking about the benefits of tax breaks. Like I've been living under a rock or I'm an artisan. If the 1% is so okay, why is the government plugging the leak by excluding cement from the pioneer list now?

-Lord

Is there any reason the economic policies of Western states is of relevance here??

Secondly, as to why the pioneer status maybe removed, pioneer status is a transient thing used to grant temporary benefits while anew company finds its feet. If indeed it is being lifted now, it means it has outlived its usefulness. I don't get your point really.

Economic policies are meant to be flexible. That something was good yesterday does not mean it is good today.
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by nextstep(m): 5:03pm On Oct 11, 2017
So you're hating on a guy for using resources available to him (economic, social, tax) to maximize his own success?

None of the things the company did - or does - has been illegal. If it's within the law to claim multiple pioneer status within the same industry, well, that's how the law was written.

Profit margins are high generally in Nigeria. The man is comparing global margins. Instead, he should be comparing the profit margins of other companies (Nigerian and foreign) who operate in Nigeria - their profit margins have to be high to compensate for the horrible business conditions and high risk. What are the interest rates in those other countries? What about the price of electricity and other utilities?

Furthermore, if they're so worried about his monopolies, what's stopping all those other wealthy Nigerians from starting their own cement factories or petroleum refineries? How many Nigerians has Mr Fawehinmi employed? How many industries has he enabled?

Dangote is one of the best things to happen to Africa - he is building large industries in various parts of the continent, using his massive profits to fund them, slowly displacing dependence of foreigners on basics like food, petrol, cement, etc. and heralding Africa's rennaisance in manufacturing.

3 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by signz: 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2017
Okwute001:
dude, what matters is that Dangote is a son of the soil. And as such, we should fully support him. Would you rather a foreigner controls our economy.. look at what South African companies are doing with mtn and dstv.. my prayer is that people like you; wake up..do you know why The USA is able to sanction countries? Part of it is because they have the biggest companies in the world.. why do you think that china makes laws that will keep their indigenous companies on top..be wise my brother..if Dangote is a Nigerian, he has my 100% surpport. Period!! I do not give a shit what part of Nigeria he comes from..!!! Coming from an Igbo man!!!!

You don't even get my point.

Are the US and China big companies making enormous profit at the expense of their citizens?

For God's sake there are anti monopoly laws in developed economies that protect citizens from exploitation.

Please read the full article https://qz.com/1098137/africas-richest-man-has-a-built-in-advantage-with-nigerias-government/
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 5:08pm On Oct 11, 2017
SmartyPants:

Is there any reason the economic policies of Western states is of relevance here??

Secondly, as to why the pioneer status maybe removed, pioneer status is a transient thing used to grant temporary benefits while anew company finds its feet. If indeed it is being lifted now, it means it has outlived its usefulness. I don't get your point really.

Economic policies are meant to be flexible. That something was good yesterday does not mean it is good today.

You adopt their principles. You use their laws. You run their type of government. You follow their economic policies. Then you say why should they be relevant here?

Are you effing serious?

All our policy makers are Western-educated.

Why would you get the point when you didn't read the whole article? The pioneer status was for five years. Dangote used it for each of his plants at least twice. To put it simply, towards the end of the status for a plant, he applied again for it.

And that's not just it. The status he got was for individual plants not his company.

And that's not the shocker. The shocker is that instead of the government to sanction him or at least tighten the noose around his neck, they chose to eliminate cement from the list. Meaning competitors both old and new who may want to setup manufacturing plants in the future would not be able to take advantage of the same gracious benefits that he had. Oh, and he is taking advantage of another loophole, certainly provided by the government, to avoid not paying until 2019. All he has to do is finance Buhari or whoever is tipped by the elites to win next year and another loophole would be made exclusively for him to continue from 2019 to 2023 and beyond.

Do you get it now?

-Lord
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by nextstep(m): 5:15pm On Oct 11, 2017
signz:

Are the US and China big companies making enormous profit at the expense of their citizens?

For God's sake there are anti monopoly laws in developed economies that protect citizens from exploitation.

Please read the full article https://qz.com/1098137/africas-richest-man-has-a-built-in-advantage-with-nigerias-government/

His profit margins are not out of line with other companies (foreign and Nigerian) that operate within Nigeria. This is directly due to the many adversities that businesses face within this country. Don't forget that, if the operations were funded by a Nigerian bank, out of a 40% margin, 20% or more is often paid back to the bank. The terms are not much better with foreign banks unless you have a history with them.

Arguably this burden eventually falls on the people in terms of high costs of materials. Note that if a foreign company (or another Nigerian one) were to enter the market, the prices would stay largely the same. And for the most part, Dangote's profits are then funneled into building other industries across Africa, not into coffers overseas.

The solution, at this stage is for government to make it easier for businesses in Nigeria by providing infrastructure and reducing the cost of business - reducing interest rates, tackling inflation, and so many other things.

1 Like

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by nextstep(m): 5:16pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

All he has to do is finance Buhari or whoever is tipped by the elites to win next year and another loophole would be made exclusively for him to continue from 2019 to 2023 and beyond.

Do you get it now?
-Lord

Sounds very similar to the way lobbying and election fund-raisers work in Washington wink
You want government to approve fracking or a pipeline? Lobby Washington and invite some lawmakers to golf in Hawaii. Maybe contribute a few hundred thousand dollars to a re-election campaign or pay for tv ads.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by nextstep(m): 5:26pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

Nonsense!

Show me any company in the Western world paying 1% in taxes.

And you're here talking about the benefits of tax breaks. Like I've been living under a rock or I'm an artisan. If the 1% is so okay, why is the government plugging the leak by excluding cement from the pioneer list now?

-Lord

Search for apple amazon google Facebook profits tax EU

It's actually the big noise of 2016 & 2017 because governments are annoyed that these large companies have avoided paying their fair share of taxes...
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 5:34pm On Oct 11, 2017
nextstep:
So you're hating on a guy for using resources available to him (economic, social, tax) to maximize his own success?

None of the things the company did - or does - has been illegal. If it's within the law to claim multiple pioneer status within the same industry, well, that's how the law was written.

Profit margins are high generally in Nigeria. The man is comparing global margins. Instead, he should be comparing the profit margins of other companies (Nigerian and foreign) who operate in Nigeria - their profit margins have to be high to compensate for the horrible business conditions and high risk. What are the interest rates in those other countries? What about the price of electricity and other utilities?

Furthermore, if they're so worried about his monopolies, what's stopping all those other wealthy Nigerians from starting their own cement factories or petroleum refineries? How many Nigerians has Mr Fawehinmi employed? How many industries has he enabled?

Dangote is one of the best things to happen to Africa - he is building large industries in various parts of the continent, using his massive profits to fund them, slowly displacing dependence of foreigners on basics like food, petrol, cement, etc. and heralding Africa's rennaisance in manufacturing.

I get why profit margins in Nigeria have to be higher than elsewhere in the world. But 300% higher? Dangote is already untouchable in the Nigerian business sphere. His trucks kill people weekly on the roads and no one dares seize a truck or arrest his driver. That should give you an idea of his influence and know if many of the issues affecting the average business in Nigeria affects him. He builds his own power plants and I know the IRS of the states (much less local government collections) wouldn't hassle him, because he is above their pay grade.

Sure, the #1 rule of capitalism is charge as high as your customers can pay. But governments around the world stipulate and enforce rules to prevent exploitation. The Nigerian government seems to be failing in this regard. Every extra naira overcharged on cement is one more naira that is not spent on another business. Combine that with not getting enough taxes from him and the benefits that come to Nigerians from his meteoric rise is worryingly low.

And to your statement about other rich Nigerians breaking his monopoly, that is the most ignorant statement I've read online this week. Go ask industry players what Obasanjo did to Ibeto because of Dangote. Or maybe you did not read where he got the SON to try to phase out 32.5 grade so he could be the lone supplier of 42.5 grade.

Everything shouldn't be seen as a pull him down attempt. I've made reference to Dangote multiple times on this forum almost exclusively in a positive light. Capitalists live to game the system, it's the job of the government to reduce that to the lowest possible point. With Dangote, the government doesn't seem to care, which isn't exactly surprising. Still, the clamors must continue. That's the only way to force a response.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 5:36pm On Oct 11, 2017
nextstep:

Search for apple amazon google Facebook profits tax EU

It's actually the big noise of 2016 & 2017 because governments are annoyed that these large companies have avoided paying their fair share of taxes...

Seems many of you can't argue constructively.

Here's my reply to another commenter making the same baseless comparison

"Amazon, Apple, Facebook et cetera are global corporations. The short form of what they do is that when they make sales, they forward the money to a low-tax jurisdiction where they often have tax arrangements with the country. Their country of choice is typically Ireland. And so avoid paying huge taxes in any country they operate in.

That's why Apple has more than $200b in off-shore accounts. If they moved that money to the US, the Feds would take at least 30% ($60b). And that's the reason why DT wants to reduce it to 10%, so most of that cash can be transferred back to the US.

Dangote's case is very different. It is a Nigerian company with 90% of sales occurring in Nigeria. He took advantage of a loophole (the pioneer status is not the main issue, it's using it multiple times for the same plants after the five years has expired). I'd defo do the same thing if I was in his shoes, as it is not a crime per se. Capitalism and morality as I said earlier don't mix.

But it is an unfair loophole and that's what the author of the OP is trying to argue. It is an unfair loophole that hurts the Nigerian economy.

There are many loopholes and shady practices like these in Nigeria and indeed all around the world. But if you read the article from start to finish, you'd understand that while other governments seek to block them as quickly as they can, the Nigerian government often acts in cahoot with the companies benefiting from the loophole against the interests of the citizens who they're meant to represent.

In business, something can be legal while still being wrong. If we say we should stop calling out things that are wrong because the law condones it, then we should just disband the government."

-Lord
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by SmartyPants(m): 5:38pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

You adopt their principles. You use their laws. You run their type of government. You follow their economic policies. Then you say why should they be relevant here?

Are you effing serious?

All our policy makers are Western-educated.

Why would you get the point when you didn't read the whole article? The pioneer status was for five years. Dangote used it for each of his plants at least twice. To put it simply, towards the end of the status for a plant, he applied again for it.

And that's not just it. The status he got was for individual plants not his company.

And that's not the shocker. The shocker is that instead of the government to sanction him or at least tighten the noose around his neck, they chose to eliminate cement from the list. Meaning competitors both old and new who may want to setup manufacturing plants in the future would not be able to take advantage of the same gracious benefits that he had. Oh, and he is taking advantage of another loophole, certainly provided by the government, to avoid not paying until 2019. All he has to do is finance Buhari or whoever is tipped by the elites to win next year and another loophole would be made exclusively for him to continue from 2019 to 2023 and beyond.

Do you get it now?

-Lord

1. Because economic and political realities vary from country to country! In economics, there is no one-size fits all approach.

2. you are only arguing that Dangote was shown favor. I am pointing out that it is well within the rights of the government to grant him (or anyone else) favor so long as it is either beneficial or at least not detrimental to the Nigerian economy.

I've made the argument that granting Dangote tax relief is advantageous to everyone. I'm yet to see your counter argument to that.
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 5:45pm On Oct 11, 2017
nextstep:

Sounds very similar to the way lobbying and election fund-raisers work in Washington wink
You want government to approve fracking or a pipeline? Lobby Washington and invite some lawmakers to golf in Hawaii. Maybe contribute a few hundred thousand dollars to a re-election campaign or pay for tv ads.

Yea, well does it make it right?

Why do you think the US enforces maximum campaign donation limits? Do you hear and see Americans applauding the skirting and corruption re-branded as lobbying like you're shamelessly doing on this thread?

And by the way lobbying to have a pipeline approved is way different from lobbying to pay 1% of taxes instead of 30%. The former is acceptable, the latter is despicable.

Buffett lobbied to have hedge fund tax reduced from 30% to 20%. Obama signed it. But 30% to 1% in the case of Dangote? Come on!

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Spidermon: 5:53pm On Oct 11, 2017
chloride6:

Real Madrid is actually bad for the la liga.

Check how Premirship clubs share their money, and you see why the EPL will remind the number 1 position for a long time.

You are right. Barcelona and Real Madrid. They are both guilty.
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 5:54pm On Oct 11, 2017
SmartyPants:

1. Because economic and political realities vary from country to country! In economics, there is no one-size fits all approach.

2. you are only arguing that Dangote was shown favor. I am pointing out that it is well within the rights of the government to grant him (or anyone else) favor so long as it is either beneficial or at least not detrimental to the Nigerian economy.

I've made the argument that granting Dangote tax relief is advantageous to everyone. I'm yet to see your counter argument to that.

I said your argument is nonsensical and that's all the counter it needs.

It appears you lack the ability to comprehend properly.

The government gave him a pioneer status for five years. All the benefits you mentioned were put into account to arrive at a 5-year span. He extended that to 12+ years by gaming the system. If the experts knew 12 years would be okay, they wouldn't have put a 5 year limit on the status.

So if those trashy reasons you gave were sacrosanct for every company and industry, no country would ask for corporate taxes.

Read my last comment to you again, if you still don't get why the author is fuming about Dangote's favoritism then don't reply me again. I'm getting close to the point where I have to question your sanity.

Because it seems you are unable to tell when a practice however legal becomes unacceptable. If Dangote can do no wrong to you, then say so. Don't hide behind economic fallacies.

Later you'd be one of those complaining about multiple taxation or the disco companies not sharing meters or the complicated process to register a company. Well, smart-a**, it is legal and the companies/institutions are not breaking any laws, so they must be right, and you can't complain.

See how s*lly you sound?

-Lord

1 Like

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by SmartyPants(m): 6:07pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

I said your argument is nonsensical and that's all the counter it needs.

It appears you lack the ability to comprehend properly.

The government gave him a pioneer status for five years. All the benefits you mentioned were put into account to arrive at a 5-year span. He extended that to 12+ years by gaming the system. If the experts knew 12 years would be okay, they wouldn't have put a 5 year limit on the status.

So if those trashy reasons you gave were sacrosanct for every company and industry, no country would ask for corporate taxes.

Read my last comment to you again, if you still don't get why the author is fuming about Dangote's favoritism then don't reply me again. I'm getting close to the point where I have to question your sanity.

Because it seems you are unable to tell when a practice however legal becomes unacceptable. If Dangote can do no wrong to you, then say so. Don't hide behind economic fallacies.

Later you'd be one of those complaining about multiple taxation or the disco companies not sharing meters or the complicated process to register a company. Well, smart-a**, it is legal and the companies/institutions are not breaking any laws, so they must be right, and you can't complain.

See how s*lly you sound?

-Lord

I don't need to read beyond this line.

Your increasing resort to verbal abuse betrays the depth (or the lack thereof) of your mental processes.

So goodbye Mr.
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 6:15pm On Oct 11, 2017
SmartyPants:

I don't need to read beyond this line.

Your increasing resort to verbal abuse betrays the depth (or the lack thereof) of your mental processes.

So goodbye Mr.

Do you actually read any of the things I write aside single sentences you highlight then veer off on a different tangent that shows you took no time to read my reply.

When your wack replies are exposed for being incoherent, you immediately play the victim card.

Good on you to take your leave, your replies were about hitting my BS threshold.

-Lord
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Obi1kenobi(m): 6:39pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

Do you actually read any of the things I write aside single sentences you highlight then veer off on a different tangent that shows you took no time to read my reply.

When your wack replies are exposed for being incoherent, you immediately play the victim card.

Good on you to take your leave, your replies were about hitting my BS threshold.

-Lord

No need for the argument to devolve to this rancour. I agree with your earlier point though, which is what many of his defenders keep missing, that for any gains a small group gains from Dangote, many others lose out. Sure, he employs about 10,000 people, but the government lose out in hundreds of billions in taxes, when a man making trillions barely breaks 1% in taxes. The consumers are badly hit considering the well documented effect of high cement prices on the construction industry (Nigeria has one of the highest prices in the world for cement). That's not even getting into the scandal of the massive forex waivers Dangote has gotten for the last decade-and-half that has alarmed his industry competitors.

Much of all these considerations are not factored in their calculus.

4 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 6:55pm On Oct 11, 2017
Obi1kenobi:

No need for the argument to devolve to this rancour. I agree with your earlier point though, which is what many of his defenders keep missing, that for any gains a small group gains from Dangote, many others lose out. Sure, he employs about 10,000 people, but the government lose out in hundreds of billions in taxes, when a man making trillions barely breaks 1% in taxes. The consumers are badly hit considering the well documented effect of high cement prices on the construction industry (Nigeria has one of the highest prices in the world for cement). That's not even getting into the scandal of the massive forex waivers Dangote has gotten for the last decade-and-half that has alarmed his industry competitors.

Much of all these considerations are not factored in their calculus.

If we were discussing politics, I at least would understand why he is a**-licking Dangote. But this is business and the economy that affects everyone regardless of ethnicity, religion, political affiliation and what not.

I've consistently said I respect Dangote and appreciate all he has done for Nigeria, but there's always room for improvement. And as a firm believer of Capitalism, I see he is probably within the laws; but as a concerned citizen, the government need to do more to curtail his excesses.

He ignores all of that and sticks to a "if it's not a crime, it is right" maxim.

Thanks for your insight, but I doubt explaining that to him would make any difference.

-Lord

2 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by xjiggy: 7:09pm On Oct 11, 2017
signz:

Are the US companies paying excessive interest on loans? Are the US companies using Generators to power their plants? Are the policies Dangote is profiting from not for all indigenous people of this country? While others are seeking license to import petroleum products, Dangote is building a refinery. His refinery will provide jobs for Nigerians and help curb importation. We buy chocolate at exorbitant prices even when we know the foreign companies buy cocoa at relatively low prices from us. Have u ever complained about that? Dangote cement bag is the fullest and comes relatively cheaper. If others are investing their stolen money in the Nigerian market, I guess the unemployment rate will be lower than what we've got now. Dangote Is a legit business owner taking full advantage of all available opportunities open to him. Leave him ALONE
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Nobody: 7:14pm On Oct 11, 2017
Terminator1234g:
Baseless!
Wots ur counter argument....., he is 100percent factual.... Dangote can't survive in competitive environment
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 11, 2017
obua:
Whats the margin of other cement producers?
What was the margin before the advent of Dangote Cement.
Dangote Cement is actually the only cement firm that periodically reduces price.
Other companies enjoy pioneer status also in other areas of the economy.
Dangote is an African champion and he should be encouraged and not castigated.
People should not sit in the comfort of homes and offices of employment and criticize people who stake their lives in the uncertainty of self employment

U don't av sense sir.

Dangote does not sell cement outside Africa because he thrives on monopoly. He tried to venture into Europe n the business laws sent him running.

Dangote is not a good businessman, every human, even an infant can thrive on monopoly.

2 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 11, 2017
Nogodyej:
Sir if you can get Nigerian just 1 billion in tax i will believe you

Only talk you sabi Afoja man like you

Dangote is basically not paying any tax in nigeria.
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Nobody: 8:36pm On Oct 11, 2017
MrMcJay:

Read my initial post, read your post and go sit in one corner to think about your life.

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by chelsea2014: 8:36pm On Oct 11, 2017
Dangote didn't help situation of this country rither add to more injury
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by AliHandsome(m): 8:48pm On Oct 11, 2017
Fadalawd help me to be bad for Nigeria Biko
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by OmoEpe(m): 10:47pm On Oct 11, 2017
obua:
Whats the margin of other cement producers?
What was the margin before the advent of Dangote Cement.
Dangote Cement is actually the only cement firm that periodically reduces price.
Other companies enjoy pioneer status also in other areas of the economy.
Dangote is an African champion and he should be encouraged and not castigated.
People should not sit in the comfort of homes and offices of employment and criticize people who stake their lives in the uncertainty of self employment

Why not reason before commenting, i have said it here on NL that Dangote is feeding on Nigeria's blood like a parasite and giving us a negligible token in returns. Dangote is a product of our commonwealth.
The world's average price of cement is $5 while Dangotes is about $9 yet he has an almost absolute monopoly of the markets but Nigerians are do depraved mentally by reason of acute poverty that the tokens offered by Dangote in exchange for their souls is to them an achievement

When will we as a people behave like people with a functional thought process? WHEN??

4 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by COMPAQ(m): 10:55pm On Oct 11, 2017
LordAdam16:

Seems many of you can't argue constructively.

Here's my reply to another commenter making the same baseless comparison

"Amazon, Apple, Facebook et cetera are global corporations. The short form of what they do is that when they make sales, they forward the money to a low-tax jurisdiction where they often have tax arrangements with the country. Their country of choice is typically Ireland. And so avoid paying huge taxes in any country they operate in.

That's why Apple has more than $200b in off-shore accounts. If they moved that money to the US, the Feds would take at least 30% ($60b). And that's the reason why DT wants to reduce it to 10%, so most of that cash can be transferred back to the US.

Dangote's case is very different. It is a Nigerian company with 90% of sales occurring in Nigeria. He took advantage of a loophole (the pioneer status is not the main issue, it's using it multiple times for the same plants after the five years has expired). I'd defo do the same thing if I was in his shoes, as it is not a crime per se. Capitalism and morality as I said earlier don't mix.

But it is an unfair loophole and that's what the author of the OP is trying to argue. It is an unfair loophole that hurts the Nigerian economy.

There are many loopholes and shady practices like these in Nigeria and indeed all around the world. But if you read the article from start to finish, you'd understand that while other governments seek to block them as quickly as they can, the Nigerian government often acts in cahoot with the companies benefiting from the loophole against the interests of the citizens who they're meant to represent.

In business, something can be legal while still being wrong. If we say we should stop calling out things that are wrong because the law condones it, then we should just disband the government."

-Lord

So blame the government and don't blame Dangotes simple!! How much tax do you yourself pay? In all likelihood you are under paying cos only multinationals take correct tax from their staff.
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by OmoEpe(m): 10:56pm On Oct 11, 2017
mu2sa2:
What is the alternative? It is a free market, if you don't like Dangote start a rival business to compete with him. Today, Dangote is the single largest investor in the Nigerian economy, with his companies employing thousands of people. I read somewhere that obajana employees alone are more than the combined staff of all the banks in nigeria. All this talk of northerners, monopoly is rubbish. This guy is in 14 or so African countries. In Cameroon in just one year Dangote cement took over 50% of the market. The guy is a shrewed businessman with expert knowledge of the African environment. He should be commended - while politicians are stealing and stashing money in secret accounts overseas, Dangote is investing almost all his money at home.

Your reasoning is alarming, what makes a champion? Selling cement to Nigerian6at $9 and selling to other African countries at less than $5? He dares not try his exploitation in a lawful docie6but all u see in Nigeria is lawlessness at it's peak

He is a soulless, coldblooded exploiter that can't operate successfully in a leds criminally minded society

3 Likes

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by LordAdam16: 11:08pm On Oct 11, 2017
COMPAQ:

[s]So blame the government and don't blame Dangotes simple!! How much tax do you yourself pay? In all likelihood you are under paying cos only multinationals take correct tax from their staff.[/s]

Both are to be blamed, because Dangote continually lobbies for the government to look the other way.

-Lord
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by bigpicture001: 11:37pm On Oct 11, 2017
Kingkyle1:
sad Nice points you got there but most Nigerians don't know and those who know can't do a bleep while those responsible and capable to check mate this are not concerned because they know their own gain.
...please ma guy don't start celebrating a very one sided write up...
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by omoranmilowo: 11:51pm On Oct 11, 2017
Imagine how can a person be controlling the price of cement in a nation without opposition. Na WA o Naija
Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by Habyz(m): 1:16am On Oct 12, 2017
[quote author=cristianisraeli post=61320555][/b]

oh you are one of those brainwashed 5% muslims..lol..i hope you are in kwara state.lol

look the only language the nigerian government understands is violence

when you talk they dont listen but when you shake well..they will start calling you for peace talks

so yes war was the only way the igbos could talk back then,remember they were in the defensive and did not attack first

you need to read some history boy

instead of carrying your almajeri plate up and down[/quote

Re: Why Aliko Dangote Is Bad For Nigeria - Feyi Fawehinmi by signz: 5:44am On Oct 12, 2017
xjiggy:
Are the US companies paying excessive interest on loans? [/b]Are the US companies using Generators to power their plants? Are the policies Dangote is profiting from not for all indigenous people of this country?[b] While others are seeking license to import petroleum products, Dangote is building a refinery. His refinery will provide jobs for Nigerians and help curb importation. We buy chocolate at exorbitant prices even when we know the foreign companies buy cocoa at relatively low prices from us. Have u ever complained about that? Dangote cement bag is the fullest and comes relatively cheaper. If others are investing their stolen money in the Nigerian market, I guess the unemployment rate will be lower than what we've got now. Dangote Is a legit business owner taking full advantage of all available opportunities open to him. Leave him ALONE

That's what that article is telling us that even though he's excessive interests on loans, he's margin is above 40%. While the norm elsewhere is 17%

Though he's generating his own power with gas and imported coal, he's margin is above 40%. While the norm elsewhere is 17%.

And if it's for the Indigenous people of Nigeria, Why can his margin be 17% like other cement manufacturers? Why is he exploiting his beloved people by making sure his margins are above 40%.

And he's taxed just 1%.

Like I said wait till his refinery is ready, that's when most of our eyes go open.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Origin Of Mammy Market In Army Barracks / SEC Disowns MBA FOREX Investment, Calls It A Ponzi Scheme / Ghanaians On The Streets Of Port Harcourt Dancing And Selling Adonko Bitters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.