Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,903 members, 7,835,014 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

How To Overcome Temptation From Women- 80-year-old Man In 53-year-old Union - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / How To Overcome Temptation From Women- 80-year-old Man In 53-year-old Union (456 Views)

Lizzy Anjorin Demands Payment From Women Who Want To Meet With Her Husband / "Timaya, Let Me Be Your Sugar Mum" - 53-Year-Old, Plus-Sized Single Mum / Mo Abudu Covers Genevieve Magazine At 53 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Overcome Temptation From Women- 80-year-old Man In 53-year-old Union by omoashy: 1:18am On Oct 12, 2017
Remember the old couple whose photo went viral online?

Theirs is love redefined. Its love rejuvenated at the dusk of life. Everything about 80-year-old Pa Adetunji Boladale Akanni and his 78-year-old wife, Mojisola Bolatito, spells affection. Really, their 53-year-old union gives you the kick and you wonder what has kept them together for so long. Don’t be impatient, they bare everything in this interview

LH: When and where did you get married?
Mum: We got married on March 12, 1964 in London.

LH: Who saw who first?
Pa Akanni: We didn’t start in London. We met in Nigeria. It was at the Teachers College that our friendship started. The first time I saw her was in 1954. Then, she was head of a school owned by my employers. A teacher disobeyed her and I was delegated to inspect and give a report. Also I was to make recommendation. So, I went there, studied the situation and queried the teacher. I submitted the report to the school authorities and the teacher who was heady and disobedient was disciplined. But I didn’t know that I would meet her again at the Teachers College. Later, after some period of teaching, I changed to the civil service from where I travelled to the United Kingdom.

LH: But what really made you think she was your wife?
Pa Akanni: One day, at the Teachers Training College, there was scarcity of water in the city of Ibadan. Then, students were asked to go and fetch water and amazingly, she said I should not go and volunteered to go instead. She took my bucket and went with her colleagues. She didn’t let me go but brought water for me. That created a liking for her in me and something told me I should persist.

LH:What was the attraction that made you say yes?
Mama: It took a long time. We went to the Teachers Training College the same year. We were classmates and after fetching the water, he appreciated me. We were at the Divisional Teachers Training College Oke Are, Ibadan. That was in 1956 and he was made a Health Inspector for the college. He was always putting on white and was always very neat. The white clothes were always well-washed and ironed. I said to myself, ‘With this man that is always neat, there is a future for him.’ That attracted me. When we were leaving in 1957, he asked me, ‘Now that you are leaving the college, and if we are posted to different schools to teach, how would I know that you would still like to marry me.’ He asked to call my cousin, who was a friend of his, to be a witness and I should say before him that I would still marry him. I said, ‘I don’t need a witness, let God be the witness. Then, we were Muslims. We left school in 1957. I was teaching in Molete Ibadan and he was teaching somewhere else. Later on, I went for Grade 2. After 1957, I taught for another two years before I went to Teachers Training College, Ilesha(1960-61) He didn’t return for Grade 2 but sat for his GCE and was working in the ministry at the Inland Revenue. He travelled in June 1962 and when I left Grade 2 in 1960/61, I was teaching at the Islamic Secondary School, Agugu, Ibadan.

Was the relationship intact befre you travelled to the United Kingdom?
Pa Akanni: No but on the eve of my travelling to the UK, I went to her and asked her some questions which she didn’t give me any positive reply. But I believe God has already ordained it and persisted. When I got to the UK, I kept writing her letters, only to discover she was coming to Britain in December of that same year. I think my persistence paid off.

LH: Did you go to meet him in England?
Mama:No, I went to England to study. It was on my brother’s sponsorship. I travelled to London on December 2, 1962 and expected to be met at the airport by my cousin, who he was also close to. It was Tunji (Pa Akanni) I met at the airport in England and not my cousin! I went to study Secretarial Studies and I also sat for my GCE in London. Tunji started coming to visit me after which I agreed to marry him. I informed my parents and they made inquiries, necessary introduction and we got married at the Central Mosque, London on March 12, 1964. We returned from England in 1969.

Pa Akanni: She mentioned a cousin who was close to both of us. I remember visiting this cousin about three days before her arrival to London. He was the one who told me she was coming. I told him I had written her letters and she didn’t reply me. He now asked if I would go and meet her at Heathrow Airport and I obliged. On the eve of her arrival, I went to join him and we traveled to Heathrow together. She came during winter and that year had the most severe winter in Britain. She was shocked to see me and we travelled to South of London where her cousin lived. From there, I started building a relationship and later we got married. We had two kids in London and had two in Nigeria.

LH: What do you think is missing in most marriages now?

Mama: First, the fear of God is absent. Many couples don’t commit their unions into God’s hands. Many marry for money and not love. The men too are not serious either. Marriage is forever and when two people are joined together, its forever. You forget everything pertaining to worldly affairs.

LH: What has kept you together for 53 years? Don’t you quarrel?
Mama: We do have misunderstanding but we always resolve it quickly. A marriage is about tolerance. Differences would arise but understanding your strengths and weaknesses would make you win.

Pa Akanni: There should be understanding, accommodation and respect for each other. You know what your partner likes and what she doesn’t like. You need to tolerate each other.
Mama: Don’t let the in-laws interfere in your affairs. Don’t report yourselves to your parents.

LH: How did you cope with challenges as a couple?
Mama: I always tell couples to know each other, study your characters and attitude during the period of courtship and work on all these. There is the need for patience too because you cannot both react to things negatively. There is also the need to be prayerful.
LH: How did you handle temptation from other women?
Pa Akanni: Yes, but one must be able to allow self control. You also want to respect your wife.

LH: How old are you?
Pa Akanni: I was 80 in September 2017
Mama: I was 78 in January 2017
LH: Did it occur to you that any woman could snatch your husband when he was not with you during his transfer?
Mama: I was never troubled with the thoughts of any woman snatching my husband. I’d rather pray to God to keep him. I have my kids to attend to and not thinking of such.

Get full Interview on: http://kemiashefonlovehaven.com/?p=16062

(1) (Reply)

Dr Sid Performs With New Hairstyle At Felabration (video) / Singer Frank Ocean Wins $14.5million Libel Lawsuit Filed Against Him By His Dad / “I Have 40 Million In My Account: Bobrisky

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.