Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,832 members, 7,810,201 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

My Experience Today With A Police Officer - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Experience Today With A Police Officer (596 Views)

Nigerian Police Officer In Intense Standoff With A Mad Man (video) / An Unhappy Lockdown Experience Today / Trailer Crushes Police Officer To Death While On Duty In Niger. Graphic Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Experience Today With A Police Officer by maykam(m): 7:02pm On Oct 12, 2017
Today would be one of my worst days as I couldn't disgrace the police officer who soiled my image in the mud. Below is the detailed story of what ensued

"my friend and I were on our way to work this afternoon, having alighted from a cab, I was with my friend's phone, samsung S5, and I fixed the earpiece in my ears enjoying Olamide's Wo when an unscrupulous element ran towards us, amid trying to catch his breath, he commanded, "lemme look at your phone!" pretending as if we didn't hear what he said we continued walking and suddenly, he dragged me by my wrist, "lemme see your phone!" he repeated, this time, his voice had gathered enough pitch and this created a scene. I insisted on not letting out the phone if the man who identified himself as a police officer didn't give a reason. After so much efforts, and people's intervention, he revealed that he wanted to check our phone If we were YAHOO GUYS, and I was like wtf, so because I held samsung S5 means I do yahoo, though we maintained our rights, and didn't give him the phone, we kept yelling it's our private property and we can't let him access it just like that without a warrant, when he noticed we were fearless and wouldn't succumb to this threat, he released us!

Dear Fellow Nairalanders, has this ever occurred to you? Don't you think there's need to condemn this attitude of the Nigeria Police? I only heard of cases of such until it happened to me. To me I'll term it defamation of character.
Re: My Experience Today With A Police Officer by UbanmeUdie: 7:37pm On Oct 12, 2017
shocked

This encounter of yours is one you should be proud of.
Reason being that, you succeeded in repelling the intimidation of the supposed police officer to examine your phone for alleged criminal files.

However, I think you were simply lucky!
The said police officer clearly proved to be a mediocre or might even be fake.

Effective policing does not work with a one man squad kind of thing. I am very sure if you had met a team of fierce looking police officers, the phrase "my right" would have not crossed your mind but a humble submission of your phone would have been the outcome.

It is absolutely wrong and against the police criminal code for an officer of the law to search your property without a certified warrant.

But c'mon, this is Nigeria where even the President does not follow due process nor upholds the constitution. So, you can imagine why even the enforcers of the law misbehave and pride in it.

Finally, young man I think you were just at the right place and at the right time with a hungry police man bathed in mediocrity trying to take advantage of you. Thank God you stood your ground.

But here is a piece of advance, if na SARS or Soldier say make u tender your phone for inspection whether their are incriminating files, pls humble yourself and do it happily as long as u know say u are clean.

Else....................I am sure u can picture the movie that will play out.
Re: My Experience Today With A Police Officer by maykam(m): 7:09am On Oct 13, 2017
UbanmeUdie:
shocked

This encounter of yours is one you should be proud of.
Reason being that, you succeeded in repelling the intimidation of the supposed police officer to examine your phone for alleged criminal files.

However, I think you were simply lucky!
The said police officer clearly proved to be a mediocre or might even be fake.

Effective policing does not work with a one man squad kind of thing. I am very sure if you had met a team of fierce looking police officers, the phrase "my right" would have not crossed your mind but a humble submission of your phone would have been the outcome.

It is absolutely wrong and against the police criminal code for an officer of the law to search your property without a certified warrant.

But c'mon, this is Nigeria where even the President does not follow due process nor upholds the constitution. So, you can imagine why even the enforcers of the law misbehave and pride in it.

Finally, young man I think you were just at the right place and at the right time with a hungry police man bathed in mediocrity trying to take advantage of you. Thank God you stood your ground.

But here is a piece of advance, if na SARS or Soldier say make u tender your phone for inspection whether their are incriminating files, pls humble yourself and do it happily as long as u know say u are clean.

Else....................I am sure u can picture the movie that will play out.
thanks for this. The police man wasn't fake because he showed me his Identity card, of which I obliged for a search, but if na SARS and soldier, I for oblige and let them check so far I don't have anything incriminating. But the way the police parade ordinary people these days is alarming and I think there's need for a halt to it.

(1) (Reply)

Fire Guts Through Buildings In Bayelsa - Government Mute / I Can’t Date A Guy That Earns N100,000 Monthly – Nigerian Lady / Penis Transplant From One Person To Another Now Possible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.