Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,736 members, 7,865,893 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 08:10 AM

Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical (12018 Views)

What If ! Philosophical Questions Theories And Answers / The Philosophical Problem Of God / Why Is There Something Instead Of Nothing? (A Philosophical Overview) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
This interesting, watching from the sidelines... grin
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Martin0(m): 12:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

When you ask" who", you are already limiting the possible lines of enquiry.

Kind of like a house fire, we know it is a fire. The evidence is in the charred remains we see.

Asking "who did it" implies it was a being that did it, either consciously or unintentionally.

But that should not be first line of enquiry. Rather the question should be
"What caused this? " because this includes both the former but leaves room for a different hypothesis.
It may have been a person but it may also be faulty electrical.

Same thing about your question, we should ask "what"

Precisely..(Bravo)

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by butterflyl1on: 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2017
Vaxx and supersystemsnig I am in church now. When done I will attend to the thread and rub minds with supersystemsnig.

I salute you guys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2017
butterflyl1on:
Vaxx and supersystemsnig I am in church now. When done I will attend to the thread and rub minds with supersystemsnig.

I salute you guys

wink
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by shaybebaby(f): 12:17pm On Oct 15, 2017
kiss
Martin0:

Precisely..(Bravo)
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 15, 2017
Vaxx, to the knowledgeable and wise, speculative projection is often a contraption,in the process of probing issues, we must be careful along the lines we thread, it is very easy to project one's beliefs unto an issue than become rather objective and detached from the scenario...In most times it seems we try to loop the end of an issue to meet our expected end, we had in mind....This is one common cause for unbalanced reasoning...

To make intelligent evaluations, the wise must be able to drop his/her intellectual standpoints and see things through the eyes of another, or rather a different perspective, by seeing issues thru a new set of eyes/perspective, we can evolve in how we see and address issues.. We only need to embrace different perspectives and then draw up brilliant conclusions.

Makes a sense?

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Martin0(m): 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:
kiss
The statement speaks sence and is understandable.. No argument u made a good point.. A very strong and vital one at that..

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by akintom(m): 12:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:

I am a contingent (subject to chance)and likewise you... I could easily have failed to exist, in fact ,at one time, I did not exist, and in the future , I will cease existing, that proves I am not necessary...

The above is simplistic to rational thinking.

vaxx:

If so there must have been a cause of my existence , MAY BE MY PARENTS who brought me into existence right....
The uncertain expression above, shows a mind disconnected from the first premise of intended argument.

Haven established the obvious basis of contingent existence, from where comes the uncertainty of "there must have been a cause" and "may be my parents....."?

vaxx:

Likewise the physical universe we are is also contingent.... Therefore for the physical world to also be contingent, it need an external cause just like I do..

For mutual logical argument, to hold true for two separate events, the premises must be the same.

I'm contingent because my reproductive cause, is known and compatible.

"likewise" connotes the "know", that the cause of the universe is evidential and compatible. This is silly assumption. Because such conclusion has no basis in logic.

vaxx:

So who is the external cause.....

This question can't arise, because the basis for arriving at "an external cause" has no logical or rational ingredients.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 12:25pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

When you ask" who", you are already limiting the possible lines of enquiry.

Kind of like a house fire, we know it is a fire. The evidence is in the charred remains we see.

Asking "who did it" implies it was a being that did it, either consciously or unintentionally.

But that should not be first line of enquiry. Rather the question should be
"What caused this? " because this includes both the former but leaves room for a different hypothesis.
It may have been a person but it may also be faulty electrical.

Same thing about your question, we should ask "what"
I just reply akintom with the same analogy...but with different perspective.... Just look into it and bring out the flaws...

Who is a very powerful question.... It has capability to eliminate another question...

If you are in a room listening to one of your favourite radio station and the same time watching your telenovelas suddenly the radio switches off but the TV is on....

Will you ask what? who or how?

why it is logical to ask who in this scenario. ... Is that , it can save your time for what or how

You may ask who stopes the radio because the TV is on so you know it can't be a power outage or the radio can't be accidentally faulty...somebody might have cause it...

The answer may be simple....the who may be as a result of an external cause which is not part of the home
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
akintom:

Th.

Wow... Orgasm bro, you hit the spot... wink
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Dalamama: 12:26pm On Oct 15, 2017
tintingz:
Lol, at least he should tell us the process how he found his God if he saw him in the sky, maybe we can do same. grin

He mentioned in one of his post that he has seen his God.
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by AgentOfAllah: 12:34pm On Oct 15, 2017
supersystemsnig:

Lets start from the beginning, scientific evidence proved that millions of years back, shortly before/after the world was formed, what was prevalent was just two key elements, Hydrogen 92%, and Helium 8%...But Why these two? By understanding the products of the reaction,we can illustrate the events that took place...and why i say it all began with Hydrogen, as simplistic as it may seem...but there are characteristics of this element that shares oneness with a being, which is the number 1, the number of proton, neutron,electron, the " ONE " in Hydrogen should be examined closely and from here we can continue our probe, i'll like to continue, but want us to stay on this for a while before we continue...
I think the real ratio of Hydrogen:Helium is actually ~75%:~25%. But onto the main point, there are other isotopes of hydrogen that defy your "oneness" notion; of which the most stable are deuterium (2H) and tritium (3H). The role of these isotopes may seem insignificant because they are less than 1% of existing hydrogen atoms, but note that they were pivotal in the synthesis of other elements. Simply put, no other element would exist without these other isotopes.

Now i started with hydrogen because it is extremely chemically stable, in chemistry, we'll understand that because of the relative stability of the nuclei of this element, it would require extreme force to set the nuclei apart and once this is achieved, it creates a series of spontaneous and continuous chain reactions that sets off other products that continue to react with themselves and this continuous and massive reactions was the beginning of all things...

But why Hydrogen? Hydrogen is so chemically stable as my fellow scientists will agree that breaking or infusing its sub-components to become one, requires what in science is called the energy of the sun...
Hydrogen is actually the exact opposite of chemically stable, and it is not really correct that its nuclei is set apart. Note that hydrogen starts off as protium, which is a single nucleus with nothing to split into. What actually happens isn't splitting (fission) but combination (fusion) of proton and neutron. After fusion, the protium becomes deuterium and then further reaction with another protium/deutorium may form helium, Now because the energy of the product is usually lower than that of the reactants, excess energy is given off, by ejecting high energy gamma ray/neutron. This high kinetic energy neutron then goes on to react with another protium, starting the cycle again. Hence the chain reaction.
I have never personally heard the term "energy of the sun", but if it means anything, it is probably just a reference to the process by which the sun radiates, which is, through hydrogen fusion.

It is too difficult to do that over 60 years of scientific research has not been able to fuse.. Look to the stars, planetary bodies, planetary formation, this same reactions is producing new plants, galaxies, and guess what the dominant element that has been observed in them is? Hydrogen....So, on paper research scitentist will tell you just like i am how by reacting, either breaking or combining its sub atomic parties can create atleast 80% of the elements in the world today, look for a radioactive delay illustration of Hydrogen for reference
It is not that difficult to fuse hydrogen, actually. Hydrogen fusion is exactly the operational principle of a thermonuclear bomb. It is in fact, done in labs all the time, using particle accelerators. Actually, only 25% of elements were created by hydrogen fusion. The remain 75% are ionic protiums (bachelor hydrogen atoms) desperate for electronic mates.

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
AgentOfAllah:

I think the real ratio of Hydrogen:Helium is actually ~75%:~25%. But onto the main point, there other isotopes of hydrogen that defy your "oneness" notion; of which the most stable are deuterium (2H) and tritium (3H). The role of these isotopes may seem insignificant because they are less than 1% of existing hydrogen atoms, but note that they were pivotal in the synthesis of other elements. Simply put, no other element would exist without these other isotopes.

Hydrogen is actually the exact opposite of chemically stable, and it is not really correct that its nuclei is set apart. Note that hydrogen starts off as protium, which is a single nucleus with nothing to split into. What actually happens isn't splitting (fission) but combination (fusion) of proton and neutron. After fusion, the protium becomes deuterium and then further reaction with another protium/deutorium may form helium, Now because the energy of the product is usually lower that of the reactants, excess energy is given off, by ejecting high energy gamma ray/neutron. This high kinetic energy neutron then goes on to react with another protium, starting the cycle again. Hence the chain reaction.
I have never personally heard the term "energy of the sun", but if it means anything, it is probably just a reference to the process by which the sun radiates, which is, through hydrogen fusion.

It is not that difficult to fuse hydrogen, actually. Hydrogen fusion is exactly the operational principle of a thermonuclear bomb. It is in fact, done in labs all the time, using particle accelerators. Actually, only 25% of elements were created by hydrogen fusion. The remain 75% are ionic protiums (bachelor hydrogen atoms) desperate from electronic mates.

kiss kiss kiss Well said Sir

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by akintom(m): 12:38pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:
brilliant analogy....

But let me compile it...assuming, I was arrested by the security and charge to court for entering the white house without an authourization...

What question do you the think the security that got me arrested or the prosecutor who is handling my case will ask first?. Who are you or how do you get your self here? Be realistic....

Am sure your best answer will be the former...who are you may save you from how do you get here... Your identity matter... An undercover security that find himself in the white house can easily bypass the question how do you get here....
Hope am cleared..

Your additional scene is deflective and irrelevant to the OP. You shouldn't be seen to be derailing your thread. That will amount to gunning for argument without "an" argument.

I'm AWARE of a physical universe, that i wish to know its origin. Just the same way, that you woke up to find yourself at the gate of Whitehouse. That's the take off point.

Logically, the first step in my wish to know how the physical universe came about, will be STEP-HOW and not STEP-WHO.

Therefore, the OP failed logical test.
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by shaybebaby(f): 12:42pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:
I just reply akintom with the same analogy...but with different perspective.... Just look into it and bring out the flaws...

Who is a very powerful question.... It has capability to eliminate another question...

If you are in a room listening to one of your favourite radio station and the same time watching your telenovelas suddenly the radio switches off but the TV is on....

Will you ask what? who or how?

why it is logical to ask who in this scenario. ... Is that , it can save your time for who or how

You may ask who stopes the radio because the TV is on so you know it can't be a power outage or the radio can be accidentally faulty...somebody might have cause it...

The answer may be simple....the who may be as a result of an external cause which is not part of the home

You have used your experience (subjective by the way) and assumed it must be a person hence asking who?

But I can tell you your experience is limited because my experience makes asking not only who but what valid.

My home has a fuse box with switches(about 10) that are connected to different parts of the house. They are all on the on position so I expect to have power everywhere. However, sometimes for instance, the lights in my living room goes off but the TV stays on. I know it's not a power cut.
But my knowledge that the switch that powers my tv may not be the one controlling the lights, I go to investigate. Usually, one of the switches has been tripped to the off position.
That answers what caused it but still leaves open the possibility of who tripped it off. But in addition, I can still ask what?
I turn the switch back to the on position, and head back to the living room- I am one spotlight down. A blown light bulb caused the fuse box to trip. It trips off because it was designed to isolate unusual electrical activities so the whole house isn't affected, rather just the area controlled by the relevant switch.

It is silly to ask who stopped the radio and leave it at that knowing very well, what is just as valid. If you are alone(this would be a fact, not open to subjectivity) would you still be asking who? Or even if you weren't and no one touched the radio, is that question valid?

5 Likes

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 15, 2017
I'm enjoying this....I need to grab some liquid while i read... wink
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 12:49pm On Oct 15, 2017
akintom:

The above is simplistic to rational thinking.

he uncertain expression above, shows a mind disconnected from the first premise of intended argument.

Haven established the obvious basis of contingent existence, from where comes the uncertainty of "there must have been a cause" and "may be my parents....."?

For mutual logical argument, to hold true for two separate events, the premises must be the same.

I'm contingent because my reproductive cause, is known and compatible.

"likewise" connotes the "know", that the cause of the universe is evidential and compatible. This is silly assumption. Because such conclusion has no basis in logic.

This question can't arise, because the basis for arriving at "an external cause" has no logical or rational ingredients.
lol let roll.....

Sure the op explanation is simple...and that is why I brought it...

How those the uncertainty disconnect the first premises.... Identify it bro..?..I Wanner see the sketch...

Yes and that is why i agree my external cause are my parent...without them I will not be here and likewise without their parent , they will not be here....just on Long chain....till the stage it will reach a line that an object will not be bound by the same theory....which will mean from process to process...

I still don't get your argument...how is the premises diffrent ....? Can you explain here

Fifth paragraph

You are contigent because your chances of existence is by chance...your reproductive cause might not have existed ....and if by chance , they are not in existence.... Your as a person will not be in existence...

This is my argument

The theory can't bound the external cause.....something must have been necessary.. The process that is necessary can share similar character with contingent being... It is impossible..

The question can really arise and that is what I did....the rational ingerident of the argument as also been apply

Akintom. It has been modify
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by shaybebaby(f): 12:51pm On Oct 15, 2017
supersystemsnig:
I'm enjoying this....I need to grab some liquid while i read... wink
Make mine a Sangria, the sun is shining and I need something sweet and alcoholic. cool
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 15, 2017
@Vaxx, if you tell this to spiritists,they'll disagree with you bro...You're not in existence by chance because before existence you pre-existed,a nd all the biological activity that took place with our parents was with a specific outcome, YOU !

Fifth paragraph

You are contigent because your chances of existence is by chance...your reproductive cause might not have existed ....and if by chance , they are not in existence.... Your as a person will not be in existence...

1 Like

Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 12:52pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

Make mine a Sangria, the sun is shining and I need something sweet and alcoholic. cool

Hehehe @ Sangria

I love this thread
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by akintom(m): 12:54pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:
lol let roll.....

Sure the above explanation is simple...and that is why I brought it...

Your second paragraphs....

How those the uncertainty disconnect the first premises.... Identify it bro....I Wanner see the sketch...

Third paragraph...

Yes and that is why i agree my external cause are my parent...without them I will not be here and likewise without their parent , they will not be here....just on Long chain....till the stage it will reach a line that an object will not be bound by the theory....which will mean from process to process...

Fourth paragraph

I still don't get your argument...how is the premises diffrent ....?

Fifth paragraph

The last two paragraph

The theory can't bound the external cause.....something must have been necessary.. The process that is necessary can share similar character with contingent being... It is impossible..

The question can really arise and that is what I did....the rational ingerident of the argument as also been apply

The muddled style of your reply, makes comprehension difficult for me. You can learn how to reply per paragraph.
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by akintom(m): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:

How those the uncertainty disconnect the first premises.... Identify it bro....I Wanner see the sketch...

Haven seen the delivery of your baby, will you still be seen as connected with reality, if you turn to your wife and ask - did we have this baby via pregnancy?
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 1:05pm On Oct 15, 2017
akintom:

Your additional scene is deflective and irrelevant to the OP. You shouldn't be seen to be derailing your thread. That will amount to gunning for argument without "an" argument.

I'm AWARE of a physical universe, that i wish to know its origin. Just the same way, that you woke up to find yourself at the gate of Whitehouse. That's the take off point.

Logically, the first step in my wish to know how the physical universe came about, will be STEP-HOW and not STEP-WHO.

Therefore, the OP failed logical test.
bro...am focused...... I just maintain your postulation for the sake of argument... I could have easily tell you , it isn't possible

I did it to welcome reflectivity in the argument.... I realised you are pointing to a disscustion that require more details... Which I did... So I will rather accuse you of derailing... But no problem if it will make you better..

You are in a physical universe and you Wanner know is origin.. Which means you Wanner know is beginning... And you think your first questions will be how ?

Let's try your logic here..

How does the world came into existence

Or who created the universe to be so...

Your first best answer will be who created the world....why ? if you know the being , it may save you from how...knowing the being will also reflect his attribute...

From there you can gather an assumptions... You can then raised the second question how those the being created the universe....
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 1:06pm On Oct 15, 2017
akintom:

The muddled style of your reply, makes comprehension difficult for me. You can learn how to reply per paragraph.
you can teach me pls...
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 1:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
akintom:

Haven seen the delivery of your baby, will you still be seen as connected with reality, if you turn to your wife and ask - did we have this baby via pregnancy?
no and why the analogy
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 1:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
supersystemsnig:
@Vaxx, if you tell this to spiritists,they'll disagree with you bro...You're not in existence by chance because before existence you pre-existed,a nd all the biological activity that took place with our parents was with a specific outcome, YOU !

Fifth paragraph

I am dealing with an atheist.. I know the rule with a spirit minded..

Hope you are agree with my fifth paragaph?
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 1:18pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:
I am dealing with an atheist.. I know the rule with a spirit minded..

Hope you are agree with my fifth paragaph?

wink
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by orunto27: 1:36pm On Oct 15, 2017
Such is Nature the Mother of all Things. Nature doesn't allow Vacuum in itself, meaning there can never be Nothing in Nature or in any Substance that is natural.
Artificial Substances choke up Nature!!!
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 1:41pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

You have used your experience (subjective by the way) and assumed it must be a person hence asking who?

But I can tell you your experience is limited because my experience makes asking not only who but what valid.

My home has a fuse box with switches(about 10) that are connected to different parts of the house. They are all on the on position so I expect to have power everywhere. However, sometimes for instance, the lights in my living room goes off but the TV stays on. I know it's not a power cut.
But my knowledge that the switch that powers my tv may not be the one controlling the lights, I go to investigate. Usually, one of the switches has been tripped to the off position.
That answers what caused it but still leaves open the possibility of who tripped it off. But in addition, I can still ask what?
I turn the switch back to the on position, and head back to the living room- I am one spotlight down. A blown light bulb caused the fuse box to trip. It trips off because it was designed to isolate unusual electrical activities so the whole house isn't affected, rather just the area controlled by the relevant switch.

It is silly to ask who stopped the radio and leave it at that knowing very well, what is just as valid. If you are alone(this would be a fact, not open to subjectivity) would you still be asking who? Or even if you weren't and no one touched the radio, is that question valid?
yes my expereince is subjective...

And are you telling me my subjective is silly, is there any other way to have an experience and Is there any such thing as objective experience?

As far as I can tell, there is only subjectivity. Objectivity is a hypothetical state of knowledge that is impossible to verify.

Don’t mistakenly defend objective argument for a fact... ... fact argument for objectivity is silly... Facts are definitions. They are an apparent agreement between lots of people. But they are, in the end, tautologies.

The who touch the radio may safe you for further questions......

your analogy is faulty using the same premises ..why?

What if also you are alone...will you also ask what?...
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by shaybebaby(f): 1:42pm On Oct 15, 2017
vaxx:
yes my expereince is subjective...

And are you telling me my subjective is silly, is there any other way to have an experience and Is there any such thing as objective experience?

As far as I can tell, there is only subjectivity. Objectivity is a hypothetical state of knowledge that is impossible to verify.

Don’t mistake argument fact argument for objectivity. Facts are definitions. They are an apparent agreement between lots of people. But they are, in the end, tautologies.

The who touch the radio may safe you for further questions......

your analogy is faulty using the same premises ..why?

What if also you are alone...will you also ask what...

Limiting the lines of inquiry is silly.
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by vaxx: 1:48pm On Oct 15, 2017
shaybebaby:

Limiting the lines of inquiry is silly.
do you even get the analogy?

Who should be the first question before how and not the other way round...

After the who, you can then ask how?

Do you wanner start eating your moimoi from the middle ....
Re: Why Is There Something Rather than Nothing.... Let's Talk Philosophical by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 15, 2017
This thread is ass bad ass men, just 700 views and we're getting close to page 7, i'm loving it...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Glorious Quran / Testimonies: Face To Face Encounter With Jesus Christ And The Revelations Of Heaven And Hell / Is Winners Chapel Church Right About This Discrimination Matter?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.