Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! (1929 Views)

Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics / Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? / Agnostics a.k. a FREE THINKERS In The House? Say Hello. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by STUPUDTHEISTS: 10:47pm On Oct 15, 2017
superhumanist:

Wow, that's a hard-line absolutist view. You are technically correct though. Where you are wrong is the fact that we can be 100% sure that the Abrahamic god does not exist. This is because it is nonsensical and contradictory.

Obviously religious gods are all man-invented - you don't need to be omniscience to know they don't exist. When I said God in my post, I was referencing a possible creator god - one who wish to be unseen. Maybe there is one, maybe there's not - we don't know this for certain, hence agnostics. We can either believe or disbelieve in its existence. So what I'm saying in essence is an atheist, just like a theist, is agnostic - though doesn't believe in god, can not know for certain there's not one.

Some foolish and uninformed Christians assumes Agnosticism is on the belief spectrum. To this dunderheads, you can't be an agnostic when you're a theist or atheist. My post was to correct that misconception, because in the actual sense, everybody is agnostic to god.
Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by budaatum: 1:46pm On Oct 20, 2017
STUPUDTHEISTS:
Technically everybody is agnostic - both theists and atheists. Nobody can know for certain or make conclusive claims about god existence or inexistence - not even the theist or the so-called gnostic atheists. In fact I think it's just a blatant display of arrogance to claim to know there's a god or there's not one. So we're left with belief. You either believe or you don't. Agnosticism doesn't equate to sitting on the fence - it's simply the position of every person towards God. The question that ascertain one's label - theism or atheism - is a simple one: DO YOU BELIEVE IN GOD?

It's not surprising people are not asked "do you know about God existence?" because it's a useless question - we're all agnostics. Anybody tagging himself gnostic or whatever is just being plain stupid and arrogant.
Rubbish, with profuse apologies, but rubbish all the same. People believe all sorts of things. Some even claim their beliefs are true. I read stuff from them here everyday. One of them just came out and said his subjectivity is objectivite, and resorted to insults when my subjectivity clashed with his. But beliefs are thoughts in ones head. I'm still having trouble buying that spanking brand new red Ferrari with the million pounds I like believing I have somewhere! Beliefs may, and usually have no bearing on reality and to claim they [always] have is, I am sorry to repeat, rubbish!

I am not agnostic! I do not 'believe' where the topic at hand is concerned. The fact you may think I am foolish and arrogant is your belief, a mere thought in your subjective head. It may not reflect reality.

P.s. If I were a Christian and claimed to believe in God, It is my belief that God should be well pissed off with me for merely believing.
Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by Dalam0n: 7:33pm On Oct 20, 2017
If by God you mean creator or creators of the universe. , then I am agnostic to that. But if by God you mean the fictional constructs like Allah, Molech, Yahweh, Amun Ra, Palango etc then I am a gnostic atheist. Those Gods do NOT exist because they are man made constructs.
Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by ScepticalPyrrho: 9:00pm On Oct 20, 2017
Most theist assume their beliefs are facts...

This is a common fundamental error.

If no one claims to KNOW a God... There will be no argument. They choke you with dogmas and myths as if they have any bearing on history and facts. They take an absolute position about God, arrogantly.

The hardest task you can give to a religious mind is to distinguish between knowledge and belief.
Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by budaatum: 10:17pm On Oct 20, 2017
STUPUDTHEISTS:

What is this baloney you scrawled? Your inability to comprehend simple English isn't my fault, perhaps you should go back to school. You're one of those im`beciles who gives atheism a bad name. Should I engage you with your arrogance now, I'm sure as hell you'll start bleating within a short while. You're an atheist, who cares! Is that what my post is about? You really should fuc`k off little man.
I thought I understood. Sorry.
Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by budaatum: 10:25pm On Oct 20, 2017
ScepticalPyrrho:
They take an absolute position about God, arrogantly.

The hardest task you can give to a religious mind is to distinguish between knowledge and belief.
Butting in again.

If I believe in God, it is an absolute belief, and, "thank you God for making me arrogant about you", is what I'd say in the privacy of talking to my God. There might be the little issue about my belief not being knowledge, but who's quibbling?

Hey, I'm wearing a helmet this time, shoot!
Re: Are Agnostics Also Atheists? An Interesting Discussion! by frank317: 12:05am On Oct 21, 2017
budaatum:

Prove that there is no creator? Is is not sufficient that there is no evidence for one? I haven't come across one and no evidence exists to prove that there is one. Those who claim there is a creator may believe there is one, but their assertion carries as much spending power as the imaginary million pounds I plan to buy a spanking brand new red Ferrari with.

Loooooool!!!!!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why The Deception & Who Is Right / When A Pastor Is Talking Trash In Church, What Do You Do? / ⚫Trinity.. God The Father, God The Son, God The Holy Spirit Rose Jesus From Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.