Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics (2793 Views)

Athiests, Prove To Me That BIG BANG Happened. Is this Eyewitnesses photo real? / Atheists And Agnostics Of Nairaland, What Made You Change Your Beliefs? / Let The Athiests Come In Here Lets Settle Ourselves (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 26, 2018
Some people have being buffoons to assume that when you boycott religion you are drained of all emotions(excluding negative ones)...
The say God is love,and so without him you cant genuinely love others....

Okay,i am talking about romantic love.
I'm kind of loveless (if that word exists in the world of words)...damn it i still have crushes even in late 20's shocked
It never exceeds butterflies in the stomach for days (highest weeks) and what i feel wanes away slowly.
This has gone on for years now, i wonder if it will get worse now am no longer a christian. Can it get better?

Not worried but concerned because most of the guys i meet want commitment and have long term plans while i want just a fling....

How do you maintain romantic relationships and keep the flame flickering for long
Cc:hardmirror,hahn,lordreed,hopefullanlord,capslocked
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by ouzo1(m): 8:53pm On Dec 26, 2018
I thought I was the only one having this same issue.
I hardly like someone for long

2 Likes

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by HardMirror(m): 8:53pm On Dec 26, 2018
Michellekabod:
Some people have being buffoons to assume that when you boycott religion you are drained of all emotions(excluding negative ones)...

I'm kind of loveless (if that word exists in the world of words)...damn it i still have crushes even in late 20's shocked
It never exceeds butterflies in the stomach for days (highest weeks) and what i feel wanes away slowly.
This has gone on for years now, i wonder if it will get worse now am no longer a christian. Can it get better?

Not worried but concerned because most of the guys i meet want commitment and have long term plans while i want just a fling....

How do you maintain romantic relationships and keep the flame flickering for long
would reply you by tomorrow. Not in a good mood right now.
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by theunnamed: 8:56pm On Dec 26, 2018
Atheists rely mostly on logic, and to most, romantic feelings doesn't make a lot of sense or no sense at all.

But I don't think what you described is due to your disbelief of the existence of God. I'm in my early 20s and I used to feel like that, I've never had a girlfriend, just the occasional romp.

It will pass and eventually you'll want more, that's life. It gets to a point when what you have or feel now is not enough, just be patient with yourself, nobody else matters.

I wish you luck, or whatever it is you believe
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by CAPSLOCKED: 8:57pm On Dec 26, 2018
theunnamed:
Atheists rely mostly on logic, and to most, romantic feelings doesn't make a lot of sense or no sense at all.

THIS IS NOT TRUE. WE FEEL EVERYTHING HUMANS FEEL IN THE WAYS WE'RE SUPPOSED TO FEEL THEM. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR ROMANTIC LIFE IT'S DUE TO THE KIND OF PERSON YOU ARE AND THE KIND OF LIFE YOU LIVE.

Ranchhoddas:
Do you start asking them about religion or what?
Why must you bring up your lack of belief?

ASSUMING YOU'RE AN ATHEIST, HOW WOULD YOU COPE WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS NIGERIAN GIRLFRIEND WHO ALWAYS WANTS TO FAST AND PRAY WITH YOU. ALWAYS WANTS YOU TO ATTEND CHURCH SERVICE, VIGILS, AND SPECIAL MEETINGS WITH HER PASTOR? ESPECIALLY THE CATHOLIC CHARISMATIC GIRL THAT WANTS YOU TO SAY THE ROSARY AND VENERATE MARY WITH HER?
SHE WOULD LIKE THAT YOU HAVE ONE OF THE SCAPULA AND FINGER ROSARIES HER MOM BOUGHT FOR HER, AND WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME.
SHE'S QUICK TO BLAME THE DEVIL AND HER VILLAGERS, AND INVOLVES GOD IN ALL THE SIMPLE THINGS. HOW DO YOU MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH A RELIGIOUS PERSON, AS A NONRELIGIOUS PERSON?

AS AN IRRELIGIOUS PERSON I FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO ENGAGE WITH RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IN PRIVATE MATTERS.
HARDMIRROR, LORDREED, HOW DO YOU GUYS COPE WITH WHAT I CALL MADNESS?
THERE'S NO OTHER TERM FOR DESCRIBING THE DEDICATION OF A HUGE PART OF ONE'S LIFE TO AN IMAGINARY NONSENSE THAT HAS NO AVAILABLE EVIDENCE THAT SUGGESTS IT'S AUTHENTICITY. undecided

Michellekabod:

I KNOW MANY CHRISTIAN GIRLS THAT ARE JUST LIKE YOU. MAYBE YOU'RE YET TO FIND WHAT YOU WANT IN A MAN. MAYBE YOU'RE NOT JUST READY FOR COMMITMENT AND ALL THE STRESS IT COMES WITH SOMETIMES. MAYBE WHAT YOU'RE DOING IS GREAT AND YOU ENJOY IT. YOU SHOULD JUST STICK TO WHAT WORKS POSITIVELY FOR YOU, AND STOP WORRYING IF IT'S A THING OF RELIGION OR NOT.
WHEN YOU FIND THE RIGHT PERSO, YOU'LL FALL SO HARD YOU WON'T WANNA GET UP. HOPE WHEN THAT TIME COMES (S)HE FEELS THE SAME WAY ABOUT YOU.

1 Like

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Ranchhoddas: 8:59pm On Dec 26, 2018
Do you start asking them about religion or what?
I could talk to a person for a long time and we would not even broach the subject of religion.

Even if it happens, we could still discuss religion in the Nigerian context.
Why must you bring up your lack of belief?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:09pm On Dec 26, 2018
Michellekabod:

You should 1st understand that the love you have for religion/god has absolutely no correlation with the love/affection you May have for a man. This is different type of love..... Just like the love you have for your family will be different OR the love you have for a Child.

2nd as for the attraction/ butterflies going away, it simply means that you have never met someone that had all what you desire (apart from physical). These are people you didn't connect with emotionally, people whose character didn't make you connect or desire them even more. You are physically attracted to them but thats it. Physical attraction gets you close to someone, emotional attraction will keep you there wanting more of that great person.

3rd do you actually know what you desire in a man (apart from physically)? Many women out there are emotionally blocked and whether a good man is in there lives or not, they cant take it to the next level. It could be fear, trauma, etc only you would know.

4th Many women portray someone they are NOT in order to attract a man.... Sadly when that man get closer, he gets turned off by discovering who you truth are. Thus Slowly fading away. So yes dating such man will be a turn off

And last but not least, many women use their sexuality to attract a man and then act surprised when he only want to use your body. You cant attract a Hot dog by walking around half naked and expect that same dog to treat you Like a princess...so yes dating such man would be a turn off

Now if a man wants commitment while you dont, then why would you want to still date this man....you should instead make it clear from the get go that you are not seeking anything serious

4 Likes

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Ranchhoddas: 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THIS IS NOT TRUE. WE FEEL EVERYTHING HUMANS FEEL IN THE WAYS WE'RE SUPPOSED TO FEEL THEM. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR ROMANTIC LIFE IT'S DUE TO THE KIND OF PERSON YOU ARE AND THE KIND OF LIFE YOU LIVE.

ASSUMING YOU'RE AN ATHEIST, HOW WOULD YOU COPE WITH YOUR RELIGIOUS NIGERIAN GIRLFRIEND WHO ALWAYS WANTS TO FAST AND PRAY WITH YOU. ALWAYS WANTS YOU TO ATTEND CHURCH SERVICE, VIGILS, AND SPECIAL MEETINGS WITH HER PASTOR? ESPECIALLY THE CATHOLIC CHARISMATIC GIRL THAT WANTS YOU TO SAY THE ROSARY AND VENERATE MARY WITH HER?
SHE WOULD LIKE THAT YOU HAVE ONE OF THE SCAPULA AND FINGER ROSARIES HER MOM BOUGHT FOR HER, AND WEAR THEM ALL THE TIME.
SHE'S QUICK TO BLAME THE DEVIL AND HER VILLAGERS, AND INVOLVES GOD IN ALL THE SIMPLE THINGS. HOW DO YOU MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WORKING RELATIONSHIP WITH A RELIGIOUS PERSON, AS A NONRELIGIOUS PERSON?

AS AN IRRELIGIOUS PERSON I FIND IT VERY DIFFICULT TO ENGAGE WITH RELIGIOUS PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IN PRIVATE MATTERS.
THERE'S NO OTHER TERM FOR DESCRIBING THE DEDICATION OF A HUGE PART OF ONE'S LIFE TO AN IMAGINARY NONSENSE THAT HAS NO AVAILABLE EVIDENCE THAT SUGGESTS IT'S CREDIBILITY. undecided

I think this is very exaggerated. Where do you meet these kind of girls? In any case if a girl is this fanatic about her beliefs, it will be discernible from her appearance. Why then do you still proceed to hook up with her if you can deal with the baggage. There are many girls who are not like that. So many. You will even meet them in church.

The average Nigerian involves God in everything so how do you deal with them?

3 Likes

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by CAPSLOCKED: 9:35pm On Dec 26, 2018
Ranchhoddas:

The average Nigerian involves God in everything so how do you deal with them?

BEST IS TO GET A PARTNER THAT SHARES SOME OF YOUR IDEAS, BELIEVES IN YOU, AND DOESN'T BEHAVE LIKE "THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN".

3 Likes

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 9:46pm On Dec 26, 2018
MrBrownJay1:

You should 1st understand that the love you have for religion/god has absolutely no correlation with the love/affection you May have for a man. This is different type of love..... Just like the love you have for your family will be different OR the love you have for a Child.

2nd as for the attraction/ butterflies going away, it simply means that you have never met someone that had all what you desire (apart from physical). These are people you didn't connect with emotionally, people whose character didn't make you connect or desire them even more. You are physically attracted to them but thats it. Physical attraction gets you close to someone, emotional attraction will keep you there wanting more of that great person.

3rd do you actually know what you desire in a man (apart from physically)? Many women out there are emotionally blocked and whether a good man is in there lives or not, they cant take it to the next level. It could be fear, trauma, etc only you would know.

4th Many women portray someone they are NOT in order to attract a man.... Sadly when that man get closer, he gets turned off by discovering who you truth are. Thus Slowly fading away. So yes dating such man will be a turn off

And last but not least, many women use their sexuality to attract a man and then act surprised when he only want to use your body. You cant attract a Hot dog by walking around half naked and expect that same dog to treat you Like a princess...so yes dating such man would be a turn off

Now if a man wants commitment while you dont, then why would you want to still date this man....you should instead make it clear from the get go that you are not seeking anything serious
Much grateful.....
I am the person who lives for the now...never thought about marriage et al. I have never being traumatised before and it is not fear.
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Ranchhoddas: 9:47pm On Dec 26, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

BEST IS TO GET A PARTNER THAT SHARES SOME OF YOUR IDEAS, BELIEVES IN YOU, AND DOESN'T BEHAVE LIKE "THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN".
I mean normal people and not just partners. Family, friends, neighbours, coworkers, everyone in Nigeria is a goddist. How do you manage them?

1 Like

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by theunnamed: 9:49pm On Dec 26, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

The bolded is the point I was trying to make, that's logic.

2 Likes

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by MrBrownJay1(m): 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2018
Michellekabod:

Much grateful.....
I am the person who lives for the now...never thought about marriage et al. I have never being traumatised before and it is not fear.

So dont be afraid to be YOU, just tell these men exactly what you want (or dont want) et voila... But remember, most guys when they hear that you just want a flying, thats exactly what they offer, but sadly would never take you Seriously.....aka you would be a girl for some bedroom acrobatic, but nothing more....while you Seem to want someone to date, go out and act like a couple etc, but with no string attached
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by LordReed(m): 10:33pm On Dec 26, 2018
Michellekabod:

My romantic feelings have not changed significantly but I feel much more connected to people right now. I appreciate people more now that I know how fragile we all are. There is a sense of love I have for everyone now I didn't have before. Not the fake love religion tries to inspire with tales of hellfire and the impossible demands of a fairytale god but genuine fellow feelings knowing the we all have a short time together, that our actions towards one another are what counts.

All the things that affected my romantic feelings then still affect me now but now I have the added benefit of being unshackled of religious baggage. Its still early days in my new disposition but I am learning how the difference makes everything better.

As for you, I see nothing wrong in what you want. Find the people who are like minded and do your thing. Make sure you enjoy it thoroughly, responsibly and thoughtfully.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by LordReed(m): 12:22am On Dec 27, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THERE'S NO OTHER TERM FOR DESCRIBING THE DEDICATION OF A HUGE PART OF ONE'S LIFE TO AN IMAGINARY NONSENSE THAT HAS NO AVAILABLE EVIDENCE THAT SUGGESTS IT'S AUTHENTICITY. undecided

So far I have had no difficulty with people in private. I don't proselytize so discussion of religion has hardly come up. My family knows my stance but nobody is freaking out yet. One of my sisters uses it to joke a lot but in a good natured way. Even at work with friends and colleagues no friction cos of it.
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by johnydon22(m): 12:23am On Dec 27, 2018
theunnamed:
This is absurd. There are many things wrong with this statement and I will explain.

1.Atheist do not have a monopoly to logic
2. Theism can be just as logical and a theist can be just as logical or even more so.
3. Not all atheist use logic or even understand it.
4. Atheism can be as a result of personal conviction not logic, most times it is.
5. Romantic love is actually very logical, easily explained in technicality or principles of reason.

But I don't think what you described is due to your disbelief of the existence of God. I'm in my early 20s and I used to feel like that, I've never had a girlfriend, just the occasional romp.

It will pass and eventually you'll want more, that's life. It gets to a point when what you have or feel now is not enough, just be patient with yourself, nobody else matters.

I wish you luck, or whatever it is you believe
I don't have a comment here.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by johnydon22(m): 12:27am On Dec 27, 2018
I have dated religious girls and atheists (known atheist girl from nairaland) and I'd tell you today, I had better experiences dating religious girls

They were more intuitive, more in touch with the underlying essence of love.

Maybe this is a shady comparison to make since I have not dated every religious or atheist woman out there, maybe it is just an individual thing.

For the OP, fling all you want, you can be perfectly happy doing that, I believe most of guys are equally just as happy with that, fling until you catch the one butterfly that doesn't go away.

That's just it
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Xinzu: 12:31am On Dec 27, 2018
The OP is a troll, don't fall for it.

cc: Hardmirror Hahn Johnydon22 et. al
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 1:00am On Dec 27, 2018
Xinzu:
The OP is a troll, don't fall for it.

cc: Hardmirror Hahn Johnydon22 et. al
You are a bit more mouthy for a fool that is as daft as a wall...wouldnt reply clowns like yourself

Get a life
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 2:26am On Dec 27, 2018
Love is just a word and people that are married are not always necessarily together so don't ever think there is anyone on earth that can explain that stuff to you perfectly. Just find, and find a way to have a good relationship, with someone that just wants to have fun at any given opportunity. There are many girls/women like that in Nigeria but we call them.......
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 7:51am On Dec 27, 2018
HellVictorinho:
Love is just a word and people that are married are not always necessarily together so don't ever think there is anyone on earth that can explain that stuff to you perfectly. Just find, and find a way to have a good relationship, with someone that just wants to have fun at any given opportunity. There are many girls/women like that in Nigeria but we call them.......
I am not a woman of "lose virtue"....for more than a decade no man has touched me o. I guess you mean a friends with benefit,right?
Our bodies should be respected more than we do....
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 27, 2018
Your body should be respected but your happiness-needs cannot be over-emphasized.If you can have friends with benefits, great, but I think stuff like love,marriage, sex,etc shouldn't be allowed to make it difficult for us to be respected.We just have to find a way of making the equation balanced.And no one can be truly respected by everyone.
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by CAPSLOCKED: 9:53am On Dec 27, 2018
Ranchhoddas:
I mean normal people and not just partners. Family, friends, neighbours, coworkers, everyone in Nigeria is a goddist. How do you manage them?

I AVOID THE ONES I CAN, AND CONTINUE TO SINCERELY HOPE FOR A TIME WHEN I CAN AVOID THEM ALL.
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by hahn(m): 10:01am On Dec 27, 2018
Michellekabod:

All I can say about your issue is that you are not ready to settle down or maybe you have been heartbroken to the point where you find it hard to fall in love.

Personally I have been married for about 5 years now and I remembered I and my wife used to kneel down and pray together. That was until the day I realised that we were talking to ourselves and decided to dump god in the trash where it belongs.

I an my wife are still very much in love and we now have a little boy who turned 1 in November.

We still gist for hours, mostly gossiping about other people lol, and still argue and fight over nothing and still enjoy each other's company.

I work from home and I am so glad I am able to spend every day with my wife and son especially watching my son grow. It is a beautiful experience.

That said I can confidently say that our love for each other has grown significantly after dumping god. There is more of a need to please and show love each other instead of dividing that love with an imaginary psychopath.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by LordReed(m): 10:04am On Dec 27, 2018
hahn:

All I can say about your issue is that you are not ready to settle down or maybe you have been heartbroken to the point where you find it hard to fall in love.

Personally I have been married for about 5 years now and I remembered I and my wife used to kneel down and pray together. That was until the day I realised that we were talking to ourselves and decided to dump god in the trash where it belongs.

I an my wife are still very much in love and we now have a little boy who turned 1 in November.

We still gist for hours, mostly gossiping about other people lol, and still argue and fight over nothing and still enjoy each other's company.

I work from home and I am so glad I am able to spend every day with my wife and son especially watching my son grow. It is a beautiful experience.

That said I can confidently say that our love for each other has grown significantly after dumping god. There is more of a need to please and show love each other instead of dividing that love with an imaginary psychopath.

Your wife dumped god too? Such joy, you are a man blessed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by hahn(m): 10:08am On Dec 27, 2018
LordReed:

Your wife dumped god too? Such joy, you are a man blessed!

Lol
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by theunnamed: 11:57am On Dec 27, 2018
johnydon22:
This is absurd. There are many things wrong with this statement and I will explain.

1.Atheist do not have a monopoly to logic
2. Theism can be just as logical and a theist can be just as logical or even more so.
3. Not all atheist use logic or even understand it.
4. Atheism can be as a result of personal conviction not logic, most times it is.
5. Romantic love is actually very logical, easily explained in technicality or principles of reason.

I might have been wrong, but most atheists argument I've seen was always centered in "facts and logic", isn't that part of the reason you folks are called free-thinkers? I don't know what y'all upset for
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by kevoh(m): 2:31pm On Dec 27, 2018
theunnamed:

I might have been wrong, but most atheists argument I've seen was always centered in "facts and logic", isn't that part of the reason you folks are called free-thinkers? I don't know what y'all upset for
Freethinkers are not all necessarily atheists! There's a very very microscopic thin line between them before one gets confused about their meaning and I usually see people confuse one for the other!
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by theunnamed: 2:38pm On Dec 27, 2018
kevoh:

Freethinkers are not all necessarily atheists! There's a very very microscopic thin line between them before one gets confused about their meaning and I usually see people confuse one for the other!

Oh, my bad...I didn't know that there's a difference between "there's no God" and "God doesn't exist".

But please indulge my ignorance and enlighten me on the difference
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by budaatum: 3:22pm On Dec 27, 2018
ouzo1:
I thought I was the only one having this same issue.
I hardly like someone for long
That's because you have not yet found someone of the same yoke whom you can love for long. If you are an atheist and the people you do find are religious, you are bound to get bored of their religious thinking before long. Or you compromise for the sake of your relationship.

Come back to let us know how you get on when you do find a same yoke atheist.
Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by kevoh(m): 3:39pm On Dec 27, 2018
theunnamed:

Oh, my bad...I didn't know that there's a difference between "there's no God" and "God doesn't exist".

But please indulge my ignorance and enlighten me on the difference
I perceive sarcasm! undecided My submission is on the two terms Freethinking and Atheism not whether a God exists or not.

A freethinker can still remain/be a theist unlike atheism which is just simply the lack of belief in the existence of a deity/deities.

A freethinker might choose to question the logic behind beliefs and form their opinions but does not necessarily reject them. They can choose to throw some parts away and stick with some. The problem here is questioning logic/authority of beliefs are peculiar to both the freethinker and the atheist and people are quick to label them the same.

Noah's ark and the flood is an example... Atheists know and call the story bullsh*t. Case Close! but I have also seen Christians who also know Noah's ark story do not hold water and instead prefer to see the story from an allegorical perspective as that is a more logical standpoint to them. That can be called freethinking.

2 Likes

Re: Love Life Of Athiests And Agnostics by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 27, 2018
budaatum:

That's because you have not yet found someone of the same yoke whom you can love for long. If you are an atheist and the people you do find are religious, you are bound to get bored of their religious thinking before long. Or you compromise for the sake of your relationship.

Come back to let us know how you get on when you do find a same yoke atheist.
Are you sure there are Nigerian female atheists or freethinkers?Cos all my life I've been around overly religious females.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Festival Of Life, Ireland, Iyin Ye Olorun Wa, (our God Is Worthy Of Praise) / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo's Reply To Ese Walter's Sex Scandal / Christians Please...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.