Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,778 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:45 PM

Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. (56517 Views)

See Why The Nigeria Naira Is Rapidly Depreciating Against The Dollar / Matches: I Am Shocked After Seeing This In Nigeria (photo) / Nigeria Naira Exchange Rate - Dollar To Naira, Euro To Naira, Pounds To Naira. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 15, 2017
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The Naira is amongst the most worthless currencies in the world... All thanks to Buhari.
Yet girls will still run after it.

The picture below describes what the naira is;
A bloody footmat
grin grin hillarious! guy please! seriously were can i find this mat to buy? i want one to spread in my toilet, which is were nigerian naira belongs.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by akeensbussy(m): 8:06pm On Oct 15, 2017
bad comparison....Is our naira not bigger than the South Korean won.
can you compare the standard of leaving?

2 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Oct 15, 2017
akeensbussy:

south korea is not an African country. Read the post Again! this time read properly! angry and try and understand it too!

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by DeepSight(m): 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2017
Werehkpe:

Some of these countries including Ghana have devalued their currencies. If we do same d Naira will compare better than it is right now

Redenominated you mean. And that's a cosmetic measure. Anyone can do that and it changes no significant reality.

Redenominate 100 Naira to one Naira and your salary of one million will become 10 thousand Naira with exactly the same purchasing power as the one million had.

No difference except your national ego

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by phreakabit(m): 8:09pm On Oct 15, 2017
akeensbussy:

True, Nigerians are leaving this smelling country on an hourly basis.
However, S.Koreans love their country.

3 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by chloride6: 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
@ Zenithpeak

While I understand your intentions, you must understand that there is very weak correlation between the price of a currency and standard of living.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by JAWBONE(m): 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
Freetech:
I think you need to understand dynamics of economy of Nations. Production determined the strength of currency of any country. Nigeria economic production is currently at its lowest ebb because of the problem with crude price. Note, this is our major production.

Any country that find herself in this type of situation must devalue her currency to encourage exportation and discourage importation. Production to meet local need and for export will increase.

In 2007 - 2009 both us and Britain devalue their currency more than 3 time because of recession. Even Ghana you put here had to divide their currency by 1000 to have current value

Finally, this have nothing to do with the quality of life in the country but to encourage production. TURKISH LIRA. IS THE MOST USELESS CURRENCY IN THE WORLD BUT TURKEY HAVE BETTER ECONOMY AND QUALITY OF LIFE THAN ANY OF AFRICAN COUNTRY UP THERE.

The little gain we have in non oil export and rice production wouldn't have Bern NC possible without the ddevaluation.
Turkish lira is the most useless currency in the world
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dee60:
Complete show of ignorance.

This is how many Nigerians assume they are experts in Economics.

The value of your currency is not measured by the figure it exchanges against other currencies but what it can buy.

300 Naira can buy you a loaf of bread in Nigeria but can 10 Kenyan shillings buy you that same loaf?

When you change that money what can it buy? That is the true value. Your nominal value does not mean much.

Very Insightful, I find it very hard understanding the whole ForEx thing.

Pavore9 how much K.Sh is a big loaf of bread in Kenya?
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by purplekayc(m): 8:10pm On Oct 15, 2017
madridguy:
embarassed lipsrsealed
tjisty is embarrassing
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Lloydfolarin: 8:12pm On Oct 15, 2017
Let me shock you guys

Take it or leave it, Nigeria is better than 96% of those countries

I have been to 6 to 7 countries on that list and my experience opened my eyes to what we are enjoying as Nigerians which are not available in those countries.

Before my first trip out of Nigeria, i thought Nigeria is the worst country in the world until i left Nigeria to study in other countries.

I swear with my life, Nigeria is like a paradise to most of those countries

I think someone here should be able to testify to what i am saying.

I was treated like a King in those countries when i told the local students that i am from Nigeria.

I became a patriotic Nigerian when i saw the way these citizens appreciate what i failed to appreciate in my country.

Above all, in terms of standard of living, infrastructures etc, Nigeria is on top in Africa.

11 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by tosyne2much(m): 8:13pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dee60:

The value of your currency is not measured by the figure it exchanges against other currencies but what it can buy.

300 Naira can buy you a loaf of bread in Nigeria but can 10 Kenyan shillings buy you that same loaf?

When you change that money what can it buy? That is the true value. Your nominal value does not mean much.

God bless you my brother

2 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by finco: 8:14pm On Oct 15, 2017
Freetech:
I think you need to understand dynamics of economy of Nations. Production determined the strength of currency of any country. Nigeria economic production is currently at its lowest ebb because of the problem with crude price. Note, this is our major production.thanks for the insight on how economies work.i was in New Dehli and some friends from Kenya and Zimbabwe were discussing about their currencies and i realised that their currencies were higher than naira.i avoided the topics through out my studies in India because i was ashamed but thanks for the insight u just gave.

Any country that find herself in this type of situation must devalue her currency to encourage exportation and discourage importation. Production to meet local need and for export will increase.

In 2007 - 2009 both us and Britain devalue their currency more than 3 time because of recession. Even Ghana you put here had to divide their currency by 1000 to have current value

Finally, this have nothing to do with the quality of life in the country but to encourage production. TURKISH LIRA. IS THE MOST USELESS CURRENCY IN THE WORLD BUT TURKEY HAVE BETTER ECONOMY AND QUALITY OF LIFE THAN ANY OF AFRICAN COUNTRY UP THERE.

The little gain we have in non oil export and rice production wouldn't have Bern NC possible without the ddevaluation.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Mrchippychappy(m): 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2017
Lloydfolarin:
Let me shock you guys

Take it or leave it, Nigeria is better than 96% of those countries

I have been to 6 to 7 countries on that list and my experience opened my eyes to what we are enjoying as Nigeria which are not available in these countries.

Before my first trip out of Nigeria, i thought Nigeria is the worst country in the world until i left Nigeria to study in other countries.

I swear with my life, Nigeria is like paradise to most of those countries

I think someone here should be able to testify to what i am saying.

I was treated like King in these countries when i told the local students that i am from Nigeria.

I became a patriotic Nigerian when i saw the way these citizens appreciate what i failed to appreciate in my country.

Some of una neva cross seme border yet una go dey make silly comments," take it or leave it", take what? There are Nigerians in Rwanda who can testify that Rwanda is 10 times better than Nigeria, I know people who left Nigeria for Senegal and they don't EVER plan to come back. This Nation is a mess!

3 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Afam4eva(m): 8:17pm On Oct 15, 2017
Jhulyan:
Whc year where you in Mauritius and for how long?
I was there for a year and half between 2014 and 2015.

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dee60:

Absolutely! and to buy a loaf of bread in ghana you will need millions of cedis i gathered.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by MadCow1: 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
Zenithpeak:

I wanted to do an online transaction with an online fashion brand abroad. Of course, I always make sure I check the exchange rate before I place an order, to know how much I would be spending in naira.

As usual, after calculating the exchange rate, what I wanted to get was on the high side. I just became humble and cancelled the transaction.

I started thinking if the disparity between dollar and naira is so insane, what will be the exchange rate of the naira to the currencies of other African countries. I picked 25 random African countries and compared their currencies with the naira.

Before I started my findings, I felt only a few African countries could have stronger currencies than the naira but boy I was shocked and ashamed with what I came up with.

Check out the latest exchange rate of the Nigerian naira compared to some random African countries' currencies.

1. South Africa - 1 Rand = 26.28 Naira

2. Ethiopia - 1 Birr = 13.30 Naira

3. Ghana - 1 Cedi = 81.96 Naira

4. Gambia - 1 Dalasi = 7.60 Naira

5. Kenya - 1 Shilling = 3.48 Naira

6. Liberia - 1 Dinar = 3.05 Naira

7. Swaziland - 1 Lilangeni = 26.55 Naira

8. Tunisia - 1 Dinar = 145.90 Naira

9. Zambia - 1 kwacha = 36.7 Naira

10. Angola - 1 kwanza = 2.17 Naira

11. Lesotho - 1 Loti = 26.55 Naira

12. Libya - 1 Dinar = 262.77 Naira

13. Morrocco - 1 Dirham = 38.32 Naira

14. Madagascar - 1 Ariary = 0.12 Naira

15. Mauritius - 1 Rupee = 10.5 Naira

16. Malawi - 1 kwacha = 0.50 Naira

17. Mozambique - 1 Metical = 5.8Naira

18. Namibia - 1 Dollar = 26.55 Naira

19. Seychelles - 1 Rupee = 26.38 Naira

20. Sudan - 1 pound = 53.89 Naira

21. Botswana - 1 Pula = 34.60 Naira

22. Cape Verde - 1 Escudo = 3.82 Naira

23. Algeria - 1 Dinar = 3.18 Naira

24. Egypt - 1 Pound = 20.45 Naira

25. Eritrea - 1 Nakata = 23.52 Naira

The currencies of some worse economies in Africa have better value than the naira.

So the question is - Do you think Nigeria's naira is the weakest currency in Africa and the world at large and what is the way forward to strengthen the naira.

Share your thoughts and comments

https://amp.pulse.ng/lifestyle/money/the-disparity-between-naira-and-other-african-currency-id7448703.html

As soon as I saw Ghana, I saw bullshit because I know Ghanas currency only appeared to gain on the Naira after they redenominated their currency and using the old exchange rate margin to judge, the Naira has gained on the Cedis.

2 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Pavore9: 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2017
ENDTIMEgist:

Very Insightful, I find it very hard understanding the whole ForEx thing.

Pavore9 how much K.Sh is a big loaf of bread in Kenya?

One Kenyan shilling is equal to N3.50

A 1kg loaf of bread sells for about 100ksh.

2 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 15, 2017
DaCharis2016:
please, I need you to explain further. Why comparing the value of N300 to 10 Kenyan shillings? But 300 Kenyan shillings can buy many loaves of bread, right?

that's is not what he meant. he is saying 300N is 10 K.Sh
So can 10K.Sh buy 1 big loaf of bread?

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by wizod(m): 8:21pm On Oct 15, 2017
Even Sudan, oh dat is where Jubril bn d acting buhari comes from, his lootes wil develop dia poor country
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Pebcak: 8:21pm On Oct 15, 2017
Mckandre:
Even Libya better pass us. Just tell me the reason why we shouldn't go there nd begin development sad Buhari sef

Libya has been good, while Gadaffi was there student studying abroad get their tution paid and they stipend more than the Saudis also they dont pay for public amenities and gas os really cheap, when u get married the governmeny pay you to start up ut family. Libya is on a different level though now tnings might be different but i know most of the policies might still be on place.

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by wristbangle: 8:22pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dee60:

Smart and intelligent comment

@ OP, I would say naira is even fairing better than last year. A Cedi used to be N110 but now N81.96.

N110 (1 cedi) can get u a recharge card that would last for 14mins 30sec while in Ghana u would need 10cedi to give u such talking time. Now tell me who have the better purchasing power? If our economy is good, we won't be complaining

7 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by samsobo24(m): 8:24pm On Oct 15, 2017
Some biased Nigerians who are ignorant of economics will jump into conclusion.
countries like Ghana just splited their currency rate into smaller dominations.
imagine if we have,1#,2#,3# and other denominations

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Kog45(m): 8:27pm On Oct 15, 2017
Nawteemaxie:
Even Ghana wey we pursue? shocked
Ghana?Cedis is useless when it comes to value, with 100 naira u get a coke in Nigeria but in Ghana u need to pay 350 naira.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:28pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dee60:

thank God.....somebody has sense. Nigerian youths are twits!!
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Oct 15, 2017
Pavore9:

One Kenyan shilling is equal to N3.50

A 1kg loaf of bread sells for about 100ksh.

if by 1kg loaf of bread you mean the standard size *I don't have an idea of what 1kg loaf of bread looks like smiley
Perhaps bread might be cheaper here in Nigeria, because those standard size sells from 200N to 300N but 250N in most environs sha.

reply needed
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Just30: 8:30pm On Oct 15, 2017
Kog45:
Ghana?Cedis is useless when it comes to value, with 100 naira u get a coke in Nigeria but in Ghana u need to pay 350 naira.
you just need one cedi to get a coke
While a 1kg bread will cost you 2 cedi in Ghana
It cost 365N in Nigeria
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by arrestdarrester: 8:31pm On Oct 15, 2017
Freetech:
I think you need to understand dynamics of economy of Nations. Production determined the strength of currency of any country. Nigeria economic production is currently at its lowest ebb because of the problem with crude price. Note, this is our major production.

All our Harvard economists have favoured these devaluation approach. You may devalue to become the weakest currency in Africa and Nigeria would still get worse. Turkey may be doing better with a worse currency for only one reason: production.

When are we as Nigerians going to realise that our approach to solving our economic problems must begin with reducing the cost of production and thus becoming competitive with our manufacturing and manufactured products? Fix only POWER!!!

We have been doing the same things that has gotten us no where because of just one bottleneck: ALL POWER GENERATION MUST BE FED INTO THE NATIONAL GRID.

Where then is private motivation to generate power?

Instead of fixing Power, our economists are still looking at OIL and theorizing with devaluation! Hian!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Lloydfolarin: 8:32pm On Oct 15, 2017
Mrchippychappy:

Some of una neva cross seme border yet una go dey make silly comments," take it or leave it", take what? There are Nigerians in Rwanda who can testify that Rwanda is 10 times better than Nigeria, I know people who left Nigeria for Senegal and they don't EVER plan to come back. This Nation is a mess!

It is nauseating, pathetic and annoying to read this nonsense coming someone who doesn't know anything outside their village.

Those Nigerians in Rwanda and Senegal must have been ravaged by poverty

Young man, i have lived in a country considered to be greatest country in the world which is USA and i am currently living in another one called United Kingdom.

Like i said earlier, i have been to 6 countries out of those listed countries and they are nothing to write home about except Egypt. Egypt is the only country at Nigeria level in terms of standard of living, infrastructures etc

Those friends of yours must be going through hell in one village in Nigeria

I know what i am talking about

6 Likes

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Zenithpeak(m): 8:34pm On Oct 15, 2017
MadCow1:

As soon as I saw Ghana, I saw bullshit because I know Ghanas currency only appeared to gain on the Naira after they redenominated their currency and using the old exchange rate margin to judge, the Naira has gained on the Cedis.

Devaluation or not, Nigeria economy is at its all time low.

If you are around in the 80s, would you ever imagine that a tin of peak milk will be sold at #200 and a crate of egg at #900?

Let's face reality here bro, thing were not like this during the military era. If care is not taking we will be comparing our currency with Zimbabwe's dollar.
Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Oct 15, 2017
Zenithpeak:

Devaluation or not, Nigeria economy is at its all time low.

If you are around in the 80s, would you ever imagine that a tin of peak milk will be sold at #200 and a crate of egg at #900?

Let's face reality here bro, thing were not like this during the military era. If care is not taking we will be comparing our currency with Zimbabwe's dollar.
if u're around in the 80s, u'll know that value of $$$ in the 8os is not the same as at now.

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by Zenithpeak(m): 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2017
shervydman:

if u're around in the 80s, u'll know that value of $$$ in the 8os is not the same as at now.

Naira was even better off usd then.

In 1986/87 it was #1= 4.00USD

In 2017 it is average of #365 to $1

Do not justify mediocrity and bad governance.

1 Like

Re: Compare Nigeria's Naira To Other African currencie and Be Shocked At The Result. by MrOlai: 8:47pm On Oct 15, 2017
Dee60:

Nice submission!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Mr Price Plans To Exit Nigeria / Nigerian Millionaire Throwing Money In The Air (pics, Video) / Ayiri Emami Chills In His Mansion After The Day's Work. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.